GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the beneficiary and inquired with the carrier to make a claim and his arrest happened several days after he did this. This was reported in the mainstream news.

You may want to go back and read my post from yesterday about the different scenarios that could take place with this policy. As I said in my post, there are numerous possibilities when life insurance policies get tangled up in a homicide. It should answer any questions you might have about what could happen with that policy and the proceeds. Anything else that could be said about the policy is pure speculation at this point, as details have not been released and probably won't be until the trial.

He had numerous reasons to want Melinda dead, in my opinion. Her death would avoid a nasty custody battle, an ugly divorce and potential spousal support, AND there was a huge life insurance payout.

IMO, I am starting to think the original story he intended to tell police may have changed because panic set in when Melinda did not die instantly. Perhaps he was afraid she might survive and be able to tell police that he had been at the home all night long? A person who could shoot someone in the back of the head is an incredible monster, as well as an incredible coward. Perhaps the coward part kicked in and he couldn't go back and fire another shot because he couldn't bear to look at what he'd done? Or perhaps he was afraid to fire another shot out of fear that might alert neighbors and police could be called earlier than intended?

If he changed his story and had to execute another plan, that would explain a lot to me. An original plan of him coming to the house and discovering the crime scene would explain why he stated to police that he'd moved out of the house six weeks prior. That would give him a reason to be somewhere else when the crime was committed. The stalker does at least two things for him. It provides him with a reason to go to the house around 6 a.m. and check in on Melinda and the baby and it also provides someone else with a motive to kill Melinda.

It would also explain the very sloppy mistakes that were made. The lack of a forced entry. The absence of footprints outside the house. The absence of evidence that he was dragged across the floor into the baby's room. It would explain why he had his cell phone in a convenient place that could be reached, with hands bound, and three separate calls dialed. And then we have the dogs, and the baby, who were apparently quiet during all this mayhem?

I think he changed his story.

I'm beginning to think he changed his story, too. And the thought that he let her suffer for so long before she died makes me hope there's a special place in hell for this monster.

I'm beginning to think he changed his story, too. And the thought that he let her suffer for so long before she died makes me hope there's a special place in hell for this monster.

The more I read Melinda's own words, and learn about her, I feel she was very child-like in many ways... I don't think Steve will have to wait for hell, I think prison is going to be a very nasty experience for him...

But WHY would he need to change his story?

Back to the Life Insurance policy...was it ever established who took it out...? If Melinda did I'm sure she would name her child and possibly Steve on it and since he might be convicted of her murder wouldn't it go to her child?I guess it might also depend on if the premiums were also kept up to date ??If Steve took it out I would think that it would go to their child in a trust or something?

Steve took it out

#JusticeForMelinda

I believe that he couldn't shoot her again honestly.. For whatever reason.. I've often thought about this myself.. Why not just end it and not let her suffer anymore.. I strongly believe he is a control freak and everything g has to go his way, && when it didn't he panicked and freaked out... The zip ties could have been laying around the house since they were from his job and he just improvised.. Which would explain why his story does have SOOO many holes in it.. The murder was a well thought out plan, however his cover story for the morning of the murder I believe was a last minute panicked story..

#JusticeForMelinda

I have to wonder if Melinda told him the night before the shooting that it was over, that she wanted a divorce and would fight for custody.

I believe that he couldn't shoot her again honestly.. For whatever reason.. I've often thought about this myself.. Why not just end it and not let her suffer anymore.. I strongly believe he is a control freak and everything g has to go his way, && when it didn't he panicked and freaked out... The zip ties could have been laying around the house since they were from his job and he just improvised.. Which would explain why his story does have SOOO many holes in it.. The murder was a well thought out plan, however his cover story for the morning of the murder I believe was a last minute panicked story..

#JusticeForMelinda

This is exactly what I think, too. IMO, the need to change the story would be because she did not die, at least not immediately, and he had no way of knowing if she was going to be able to communicate to the police that he had spent the night there. If that happened, it put him in the house when the crime occurred.

It is very weird that some family members and SL himself told police he'd moved out six weeks prior but on the night of the crime, he is spending the night at the house? The fact his own zip ties were used is also very weird. As well as her gun. The intruder knew just where to find those things to use to carry out this crime? SL would know where to find those things. Didn't think that through very well, IMO. It says to me that someone was hurrying and trying to think things through, but they were in a panic.

I suppose he could have fired the gun again and risked having a neighbor hear it, or tried another method, which may have left behind dna evidence. Or maybe he just couldn't go back in there and faced what he had done? I think the fact that her death was not immediate caused him to tell a story that was different than the one he'd planned on telling and that could also account for his multiple phone calls as well. IMO.

So sorry for all of your pain. I believe in justice - it will be served.

#JusticeForMelinda

Yes. his story does sound like a last minute panicked story. I remember I originally thought he may have been have doing some rehearsal, a walk through... and the gun went off. The intruder was planned, I believe, due to the whole gas-lighting about being stalked. But there IS NO reason for him not to say he "just walked in and found her in that condition", if thats what he had planned all along.

I think it was a combination of things with money being at the root of it all. It seems he couldn't keep a decent job and the walls were closing in around him.

it is very weird that some family members and SL himself told police he'd moved out six weeks prior but on the night of the crime, he is spending the night at the house?

I don't find this "weird" at all. Many couples who are in the process of separating and/or divorcing spend some nights together initially. I've been there/done that myself, and so have quite a few other people I know.

According to the interview with the Insurance agent, Melinda took out the life insurance policy herself.

Well according to the documentation that was shown to her parents Steve took out both policy's. Not to mention Melinda told me he did as well as she made a joke of it

Guess it will all come out in court, all I know is that nothing has been wrong that has been confirmed by her parents and until the day comes that it is, I will pass along the information I have been given, unless asked otherwise by her parents their lawyers or the detectives.

This we will have to agree to disagree on.

#JusticeForMelinda

Well according to the documentation that was shown to her parents Steve took out both policy's. Not to mention Melinda told me he did as well as she made a joke of it

Guess it will all come out in court, all I know is that nothing has been wrong that has been confirmed by her parents and until the day comes that it is, I will pass along the information I have been given, unless asked otherwise by her parents their lawyers or the detectives.

This we will have to agree to disagree on.

#JusticeForMelinda

I am behind you Sethersoulfree, and Melinda's family. I don't guess it matters what anyone says anyway. He killed her and we all know it. And it it sure looking like justice will prevail in court. Cold comfort though that will be. I sure hope it's true that her Facebook page has been preserved. There are those videos of her telling her little girl she loves her. That will be the only way that child will be able to hear her mom say that... :(

According to the interview with the Insurance agent, Melinda took out the life insurance policy herself.
I think the insurance agent needs to be looked at. At the time the plan was taken out, Melinda wasn't working. How is a stay at home mom covered for 1,000,000? It would make more sense to have a policy to cover SL, because he is the primary wage earner and add Melinda and Baby Girl with riders. Typically in my state child riders cap at 10000 and can be converted to a whole life plan for the child when they reach 18.
I doubt we will ever know whose idea the plan was.

I don't believe it. Melinda reads as too damn optimistic. (Malignant Optimism). I just can't see her suddenly saying, "Ya know... I think I'll take out an insurance policy on myself, yeah, for a million dollars." Not to mention that , Steve worked hard to make sure she felt totally worthless. Not worth a million+ Nope, even if she technically signed something, he was the one who *got* that policy going on.

I don't believe it. Melinda reads as too damn optimistic. (Malignant Optimism). I just can't see her suddenly saying, "Ya know... I think I'll take out an insurance policy on myself, yeah, for a million dollars." Not to mention that , Steve worked hard to make sure she felt totally worthless. Not worth a million+ Nope, even if she technically signed something, he was the one who *got* that policy going on.

Actually, according to "documentation", it wasn't suddenly that she decided to take out the policy. It was after she was hit by a car in a walmart parking lot that she felt she needed to have something to leave "baby girl" if something were to happen to her.

Actually, according to "documentation", it wasn't suddenly that she decided to take out the policy. It was after she was hit by a car in a walmart parking lot that she felt she needed to have something to leave "baby girl" if something were to happen to her.

"according to "documentation"... So... WHO said that? Yeah. that's what I thought...

STEVE was behind her taking out the policy. IMO. Even if she got it. If someone is persuaded, coerced, abused controlled and manipulated, how much free will do they really have?

Stop talking like Melinda was behind EVERYTHING that got her killed please!~ She was controlled by this guy like a child in a predators candy store.

"according to "documentation"... So... WHO said that? Yeah. that's what I thought...

STEVE was behind her taking out the policy. IMO. Even if she got it. If someone is persuaded, coerced, abused controlled and manipulated, how much free will do they really have?

Stop talking like Melinda was behind EVERYTHING that got her killed please!~ She was controlled by this guy like a child in a predators candy store.

I'm not talking like anything. I'm only relaying information from interviews. This one from the Insurance agent. I'm sorry if you don't like what was in the interview.

[/B]I think the insurance agent needs to be looked at. At the time the plan was taken out, Melinda wasn't working. How is a stay at home mom covered for 1,000,000? It would make more sense to have a policy to cover SL, because he is the primary wage earner and add Melinda and Baby Girl with riders. Typically in my state child riders cap at 10000 and can be converted to a whole life plan for the child when they reach 18.
I doubt we will ever know whose idea the plan was.

^^^ Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member