GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about the gun ....Does anyone know when Melinda purchased or someone gave her the gun? Without someone taking this as blaming the victim because I'm definitely not....With all this talk about Steve being the one in control,etc...you would think he would have owned the gun and not the other way around...Yes, I realize she was killed with her own gun...but I did find it odd that she owned the gun and not the controlling,manipulative,aggressive bully that Steve's been painted as...Just a random thought as to how long she actually had a gun...

An old regular of her from work bought her the gun along time ago, bc at the time she was a single young white female living alone, Melinda LOVED to go shooting, it's a country girl thing. We use to go together a lot!

#JusticeForMelinda

Thinking about the gun ....Does anyone know when Melinda purchased or someone gave her the gun? Without someone taking this as blaming the victim because I'm definitely not....With all this talk about Steve being the one in control,etc...you would think he would have owned the gun and not the other way around...Yes, I realize she was killed with her own gun...but I did find it odd that she owned the gun and not the controlling,manipulative,aggressive bully that Steve's been painted as...Just a random thought as to how long she actually had a gun...

According to this article - http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm - SL claimed someone named Trinidad purchased the gun for Melinda. It doesn't state when she got the gun, but I don't understand why that matters. I know several women, married and single, who own handguns.

According to the article, SL said Melinda slept with the gun "after all this stuff that has been happening" (stalking) which indicates she was terrified. What I find odd is that if SL really thought there was a stalker, why didn't he have the gun in his possession? One would think that as the man of the house, he'd want to protect his family. Plus, there was no sign of forced entry or a struggle and he tested positive for gun powder residue, despite his claim that he NEVER handled a gun.

In my opinion, SL invented the stalker.

According to this article - http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm - SL claimed someone named Trinidad purchased the gun for Melinda. It doesn't state when she got the gun, but I don't understand why that matters. I know several women, married and single, who own handguns.

According to the article, SL said Melinda slept with the gun "after all this stuff that has been happening" (stalking) which indicates she was terrified. What I find odd is that if SL really thought there was a stalker, why didn't he have the gun in his possession? One would think that as the man of the house, he'd want to protect his family. Plus, there was no sign of forced entry or a struggle and he tested positive for gun powder residue, despite his claim that he NEVER handled a gun.

In my opinion, SL invented the stalker.
We only have SL'S word that Melinda slept with the gun, just as we only have SL'S word about whether or other Melinda believed the stalker existed. I don't think she did. If she slept with it,wouldn't she have woken up when it was taken to shoot her?

Due to a pending lawsuit filed against Melinda's estate, I can't discuss anything else related to the policy, I'm sorry.
A lawsuit against MELINDA's estate? Since her heirs would automatically get whatever she had, that means somebody NOT an heir really wants that million dollars. OMG.

A lawsuit against MELINDA's estate? Since her heirs would automatically get whatever she had, that means somebody NOT an heir really wants that million dollars. OMG.
It could be a creditor, though. I don't necessarily believe that, but it could be.

It could be a creditor, though. I don't necessarily believe that, but it could be.

It's not a creditor. You can look it up the same way you check court records for Steve at Porter County court cases.

It would be interesting to know for sure who has a lawsuit against Melinda's estate....Maybe the million dollars isn't part of her Estate or however that works with the Insurance money and its possible her family filed a lawsuit ???

We only have SL'S word that Melinda slept with the gun, just as we only have SL'S word about whether or other Melinda believed the stalker existed. I don't think she did. If she slept with it,wouldn't she have woken up when it was taken to shoot her?

I suppose that would depend on whether she had the gun with her in the bed or on a nightstand.

I suppose that would depend on whether she had the gun with her in the bed or on a nightstand.
That's true, but she was a very light sleeper according to SetHerSoulFree. I suppose we will need clarification from her. Wouldn't the papers have said she slept with it by her bed as opposed to sleeping with it which implies it is in her bed with her?

That's true, but she was a very light sleeper according to SetHerSoulFree. I suppose we will need clarification from her. Wouldn't the papers have said she slept with it by her bed as opposed to sleeping with it which implies it is in her bed with her?

Sadly, I doubt anyone will ever know where the gun actually was that night.

It would be interesting to know for sure who has a lawsuit against Melinda's estate....Maybe the million dollars isn't part of her Estate or however that works with the Insurance money and its possible her family filed a lawsuit ???

I think that is likely what is going on and her family wants to ensure the child gets the money as her next of kin.

Sadly, I doubt anyone will ever know where the gun actually was that night.

As you said, we only have his word for it that she even slept with the gun. She knew her husband was home that night when she went to bed and to sleep, so why would she even need to have the gun out? I don't think she was afraid of a stalker, and I also don't think it ever crossed her mind that her husband might kill her. Just my opinion, but this is so tragic.

If you go to the link provided in one of the posts, you will see that the only lawsuit that has been filed against Melinda's estate, at last as of today, is the lawsuit recently filed by her mother. It is pure speculation as to why this was filed, but an attorney is shown on the filing, so there is a good reason for it.

This was posted earlier:
[quote name="Snowhite" post=11701442]It would be interesting to know for sure who has a lawsuit against Melinda's estate....Maybe the million dollars isn't part of her Estate or however that works with the Insurance money and its possible her family filed a lawsuit ???
<br />
<br />
If you go to the link provided in one of the posts, you will see that the only lawsuit that has been filed against Melinda's estate, at last as of today, is the lawsuit recently filed by her mother. It is pure speculation as to why this was filed, but an attorney is shown on the filing, so there is a good reason for it.<br/>

It's nice to see that an attorney is guiding them.

JMO

<br />
<br />
If you go to the link provided in one of the posts, you will see that the only lawsuit that has been filed against Melinda's estate, at last as of today, is the lawsuit recently filed by her mother. It is pure speculation as to why this was filed, but an attorney is shown on the filing, so there is a good reason for it.<br/>

It's nice to see that an attorney is guiding them.

JMO

I am glad they have an attorney guiding them as well. This is all very complicated and I'm sure their grief is absolutely overwhelming.

* A semi-automatic pistol was found on the floor of the master bedroom, partially underneath the foot of the bed, in an open locked position with the magazine seated.

Source: http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm

I had forgotten this info until someone else posted it upthread.

IIRC, the handgun was a 22. Most people familiar with handguns would not use a 22 caliber to kill someone by shooting them in the head, at close range. Many times the 22 caliber bullet will careen around, ricocheting against the interior skull, without rendering the victim dead.

The article mentions that the handgun was found under the bed in the "open locked" position with the magazine seated. The magazine is the cartridge you load the bullets into and then seat it into the handgun.

22 caliber handguns are notorious for stovepiping (jamming) a bullet's shell casing in the chamber rendering the pistol useless until the jammed shell can be cleared. Many stovepipes are very stubborn to unjam, and you must be very careful you don't shoot yourself in the prcess of attempting to clear the chamber.

This might explain why a murderer, unfamiliar with handguns, might have panicked when 1) Melinda didn't die quickly and 2) the pistol had been rendered useless. The intended story may have needed to change at that point.

Source: http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm

IIRC, the handgun was a 22. Most people familiar with handguns would not use a 22 caliber to kill someone by shooting them in the head, at close range. Many times the 22 caliber bullet will careen around, ricocheting against the interior skull, without rendering the victim dead.

The article mentions that the handgun was found under the bed in the "open locked" position with the magazine seated. The magazine is the cartridge you load the bullets into and then seat it into the handgun.

22 caliber handguns are notorious for stovepiping (jamming) a bullet's shell casing in the chamber rendering the pistol useless until the jammed shell can be cleared. Many stovepipes are very stubborn to unjam, and you must be very careful you don't shoot yourself in the prcess of attempting to clear the chamber.

This might explain why a murderer, unfamiliar with handguns, might have panicked when 1) Melinda didn't die quickly and 2) the pistol had been rendered useless. The intended story may have needed to change at that point.

Thank you for posting this. This is very interesting. I'm familiar with calibers and revolvers, but not semi-automatics. Does the open-locked position mean that the gun was jammed and couldn't fire unless you knew how to un-jam it?

Thanks for pointing that out because I thought "open locked position" meant that there is some kind of manual "safety" lock on the pistol that prevented it from being fired.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member