GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MyBelle
Nobody would believe the stalker story if he still lived in the house.
I can see him wanting to make it look like the stalker would assume Melinda was unprotected. But ... according to his story the stalker came in EVEN THOUGH Steve's car was there. Anybody watching would have known what Steve drove and what Melinda drove. So this fearless stalker walked in the unlocked door knowing Steve and Melinda were both in the house.

What he didn't anticipate was the gun jamming.
Do we know for sure this is what happened?

I want to say this was posted by Nikk in the first thread. Everything that follows is from him/her:

* A semi-automatic pistol was found on the floor of the master bedroom, partially underneath the foot of the bed, in an open locked position with the magazine seated.

Source: http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm

I had forgotten this info until someone else posted it upthread.

IIRC, the handgun was a 22. Most people familiar with handguns would not use a 22 caliber to kill someone by shooting them in the head, at close range. Many times the 22 caliber bullet will careen around, ricocheting against the interior skull, without rendering the victim dead.

The article mentions that the handgun was found under the bed in the "open locked" position with the magazine seated. The magazine is the cartridge you load the bullets into and then seat it into the handgun.

22 caliber handguns are notorious for stovepiping (jamming) a bullet's shell casing in the chamber rendering the pistol useless until the jammed shell can be cleared. Many stovepipes are very stubborn to unjam, and you must be very careful you don't shoot yourself in the prcess of attempting to clear the chamber.

This might explain why a murderer, unfamiliar with handguns, might have panicked when 1) Melinda didn't die quickly and 2) the pistol had been rendered useless. The intended story may have needed to change at that point.

It's been said that maybe he said that so as to have a reason for sleeping on the couch and not in bed with her.
Frankly I think the best theory is that he wanted everyone to believe he didn't live there so he could "find" her dead in the morning. Someone else theorized that since Melinda was supposed to go to breakfast with her friends that the plan was for THEM to find her, but when she didn't die right away and the gun jammed he had to change plans. I think he had a girlfriend. I think he was cheating on Melinda and told this other woman that he was separated. That way when the news was published, the GF wouldn't find out he had lied to her. I think (if she even exists) that he has convinced her he is innocent and that she will benefit from him receiving the 1,000,000 death benefit and that's why she hasn't come forward, or if she HAS come forward, that hasn't been made public.

Agree - the only thing that explains the contradiction to me is if his original intention was to say he wasn't in the marital home when the crime occurred. I think in the panic that resulted when the gun jammed, a lot of mistakes were made and things not clearly thought through and the separation story was one of them.

As for a girlfriend, you may very well be right. It will be very interesting to see if one shows up during the trial.

Agree - the only thing that explains the contradiction to me is if his original intention was to say he wasn't in the marital home when the crime occurred. I think in the panic that resulted when the gun jammed, a lot of mistakes were made and things not clearly thought through and the separation story was one of them.

As for a girlfriend, you may very well be right. It will be very interesting to see if one shows up during the trial.

BBM. I agree. He had no intention of being there and his plans changed because she was still alive. He sure underestimated Melinda's strength.

JMO

Just curious. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the media has been so quiet about this case? Not a word has been published since shortly after SL's arrest. Are they cooperating with police to avoid tainting the jury pool?

Just curious. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the media has been so quiet about this case? Not a word has been published since shortly after SL's arrest. Are they cooperating with police to avoid tainting the jury pool?

I have wondered the same thing as well.

I'm sure things will pick up the closer we get to the trial date.

I'm sure things will pick up the closer we get to the trial date.
I doubt if the day to day testimony will be reported on. We might not hear anything until the verdict is reached, or there's a plea deal.

Agree - the only thing that explains the contradiction to me is if his original intention was to say he wasn't in the marital home when the crime occurred.
I think this is the case. I don't know how far from Melinda's his brother lived, but I would bet his plan was to use his brother and sister-in-law as alibis, and I don't mean asking them to lie. What makes sense to me based on all we know is that his plan was to stay at his brother's that night, slip out in the wee hours, drive to Melinda's, shoot her, take the gun, and be back at his brother's house before anybody got up.

He says he was sleeping on the couch, but for all we know he let himself in in the middle of the night. Maybe Melinda never even knew he was there.

I would love to know where his car was that morning - on the street, or in the driveway.

It has always bothered me that he shot her with her own gun, and then left it out in plain sight for the cops to find. Surely that could NOT have been his original plan. He had every opportunity to shoot her and leave, that night or any other night. And he chooses to call the cops and hand them the murder weapon? No. That could not, IMO, have been the original plan.

I think this is the case. I don't know how far from Melinda's his brother lived, but I would bet his plan was to use his brother and sister-in-law as alibis, and I don't mean asking them to lie. What makes sense to me based on all we know is that his plan was to stay at his brother's that night, slip out in the wee hours, drive to Melinda's, shoot her, take the gun, and be back at his brother's house before anybody got up.

He says he was sleeping on the couch, but for all we know he let himself in in the middle of the night. Maybe Melinda never even knew he was there.

I would love to know where his car was that morning - on the street, or in the driveway.

It has always bothered me that he shot her with her own gun, and then left it out in plain sight for the cops to find. Surely that could NOT have been his original plan. He had every opportunity to shoot her and leave, that night or any other night. And he chooses to call the cops and hand them the murder weapon? No. That could not, IMO, have been the original plan.

I was also wondering where his car was that morning. I did find a picture of the front of the house (there are two pictures) and one of the pictures shows the full driveway and the house. There are two cars parked in the driveway, close to the house in one of the pictures. One car appears to be right behind the other. Not sure if these vehicles were Melinda and SL's vehicles, but they do not look like they are police vehicles. You will need to click on the second picture at the top to enlarge it to see the vehicles that are parked in the driveway.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_05b58f52-3db5-5599-a4f8-0ee0a6268c91.html

I did just look on the Indiana Odyssey system online and it appears the trial is still scheduled for June 8th. At least as of today. Does anyone know whether the court transcript records will be available after conclusion of the trial?

The cars belong to them both, Steve parked behind melindas.

#JusticeForMelinda

I'm going to the trial and will keep everyone updated as much as possible

#JusticeForMelinda

I'm going to the trial and will keep everyone updated as much as possible

#JusticeForMelinda

If you are deposed As witness to testify, will you be allowed to watch the entire trial? I remember in George Zimmerman case in Florida, George Zimmermans parents weren't allowed in courtroom, because they were scheduled to testify.

If you are deposed As witness to testify, will you be allowed to watch the entire trial? I remember in George Zimmerman case in Florida, George Zimmermans parents weren't allowed in courtroom, because they were scheduled to testify.
I think witnesses can remain in the courtroom after they are finished testifying.

I've already been informed that there is a 80% chance I'll be called to testify, && I believe I can still watch the trial, if I find out I can't I'll inform you

#JusticeForMelinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member