GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have access to the prosecutor? It would seem RIDICULOUS if he did not pick up on that fact, and shred it in court. BUT somehow the defense felt it was credible enough to present in court. It is critical that they make the jury see how impossible that timeline is! Has the prosecutor already cross-examined the witness who presented this timeline? I guess he could save it for closing.

I think the defense is grasping at straws.

Do you have access to the prosecutor? It would seem RIDICULOUS if he did not pick up on that fact, and shred it in court. BUT somehow the defense felt it was credible enough to present in court. It is critical that they make the jury see how impossible that timeline is! Has the prosecutor already cross-examined the witness who presented this timeline? I guess he could save it for closing.

Now that I think about it, they probably felt they HAD to give the defense a chance to really check this out. (Just to eliminate the a future appeal) Who knows? Maybe this guy owned a SR-71 Black Bird and he flew himself. ;)

Keep in mind, those times that I provided are strictly FLIGHT TIME. You have to add in gate to gate time. At least another 20-30 minutes on each end. And getting in and out of the airport on each end, AT LEAST another 20-30 minutes (if you're lucky) Then as Set-her-Soul-Free pointed out, there's another hour drive to Valparisio.

So let's say they were in San Francisco and staying at the hotel right in the airport. 10 minutes running through the airport; 20 minutes to get to the gate; 4hr & 15 mins flight time; 20mins to the Chicago gate; another 20 to get out of Chicago Airport. Grab a taxi to Valparaiso 1 hour; In the house, tie up SL, shoot Melinda, run back out to the taxi 10 mins; Back to the airport 1 hour; Run through the airport 20 mins; Plane taxis from the gate to runway 20mins; flight time 4hrs 15mins; Run back to hotel room & back in bed 10mins.

Total 12 hours & 40 minutes

That's with the minimum time possible. And *IF* there were flights available right at the exact time he was running into each of the airports and were leaving right a t the moment he ran in. AND this would be without any problems with the plane, traffic problems in Chicago, etc, etc.

Somebody HAD TO HAVE caught this. I can't believe they had a mistrial over this. Can't these people do simple math???

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? But it does show the desperation his defense lawyer is experiencing. He's grasping for straws hoping that something, anything, sticks.

I look forward to the guilty verdict. And even more so the sentencing. I hope he never sees the outside of a jail again.

Once that is all behind them, the families can begin the slow process of healing. None of them will ever be the same, things like this change the fabric of who you are. But things do get better I'm sure. Memories will replace the pain. It's the two children I feel for. Knowing that your bio dad is a monster is tough, and they'll both need some serious counselling. The little baby girl may forget, but she will know through the internet if not through family conversations. The son knew his father as he's older, and his memory will stay with him, both the good and the bad.

He was in San Diego (I'm sitting with him right now)

#JusticeForMelinda

Based on what I've read about the trial for the past two weeks, I strongly believe the jury will find SL guilty. His defense, as someone stated, is clearly grasping at straws trying to create reasonable doubt. If we can see that, I think a jury will as well.

I'm curious what additional evidence will be presented next week. Perhaps a girlfriend? I remember that possibility has been discussed here before.

Based on what I've read about the trial for the past two weeks, I strongly believe the jury will find SL guilty. His defense, as someone stated, is clearly grasping at straws trying to create reasonable doubt. If we can see that, I think a jury will as well.

I'm curious what additional evidence will be presented next week. Perhaps a girlfriend? I remember that possibility has been discussed here before.

I totally agree.

I've been thinking about this too. And I can't remember where it was talked about, here or in the paper; But it seems that when he was fired from his job there was some indication there was a girlfriend, or at the very least some cheating going on. The company he'd been working for took his work truck before SL had a chance to clean it out and they found condoms and some other stuff.

Usually in cases like this the prosecution likes to "ramp it up" and leave the jury with the most powerful evidence last so it stays on the juror's minds. This is because the defense comes in after them. So as bad as it's been, I would imagine it's about to get much, much worse for Mr. Lindsey.

Yes, a possible girlfriend has been discussed here. It will be interesting if this comes up in trial next week. His ex wife testified he cheated on her, and his marriage to Melinda was in trouble. It wouldn't be a stretch, IMO.

Once a cheater always a cheater. Serial cheaters follow pattern. Need the next best thing. If, there is truly a "girlfriend". I'm sure she will kiss the ground she escaped SL unharmed.

Keep in mind, those times that I provided are strictly FLIGHT TIME. You have to add in gate to gate time. At least another 20-30 minutes on each end. And getting in and out of the airport on each end, AT LEAST another 20-30 minutes (if you're lucky) Then as Set-her-Soul-Free pointed out, there's another hour drive to Valparisio.

So let's say they were in San Francisco and staying at the hotel right in the airport. 10 minutes running through the airport; 20 minutes to get to the gate; 4hr & 15 mins flight time; 20mins to the Chicago gate; another 20 to get out of Chicago Airport. Grab a taxi to Valparaiso 1 hour; In the house, tie up SL, shoot Melinda, run back out to the taxi 10 mins; Back to the airport 1 hour; Run through the airport 20 mins; Plane taxis from the gate to runway 20mins; flight time 4hrs 15mins; Run back to hotel room & back in bed 10mins.

Total 12 hours & 40 minutes

That's with the minimum time possible. And *IF* there were flights available right at the exact time he was running into each of the airports and were leaving right a t the moment he ran in. AND this would be without any problems with the plane, traffic problems in Chicago, etc, etc.

Somebody HAD TO HAVE caught this. I can't believe they had a mistrial over this. Can't these people do simple math???

Not to mention they close off the gates early so people who rush in last minute often miss their flight, and if there is a wait-list on that flight they fill your seat with somebody who is waiting,

He was in San Diego (I'm sitting with him right now)

#JusticeForMelinda
So did we interpret the article correctly (I think the reporter is trying to do a good job - but the articles are obviously being written quickly to meet deadlines) - the defense is actually claiming that this man traveled between San Diego and Valpo, and back, within a six hour time frame? I keep thinking there must be a misprint or misunderstanding - that's just so nuts. Not to mention the jury is supposed to believe that Melinda thoughtfully left the door unlocked, and a loaded gun lying around, for his convenience.

Either we're missing something here or I want some of whatever the defense is smoking.

I believe that is correct, I could be wrong.. But from my understanding this all happened between midnight & 6 am

#JusticeForMelinda

I guess ONE of my concerns is past trials that appeared to be slam-dunk ended up being ruled innocent, or sentenced way too gently:

OJ Simpson:
We all know that story. The glove didn't fit, of course, because it'd been sitting in blood (liquid) and it shrunk, and OJ's "pretend" attempt to squeeze into then with his fingers all gnarled only added to the drama. Don't know if it's true, but I heard he stopped taking his arthritis meds so his fingers would be swollen and less flexible on that day!!

Casey Anthony:
Defense called her father a pedophile (I wanted to die for that man right there and then). Zanny the Nanny. And not only was this not reported to the police till about one month later, she partied like the animal she is. Liar Liar, caught in so many lies. She was given a slap on the wrist.

"What's his name" Zimmerman:
He shot and killed a young man on his way home, in his own neighborhood (had every right to be where he was). Boy was unarmed. Zimmerman was armed, and using his Neighborhood Watch position as an excuse to kill. Just like OJ, got off scott free, BUT then committed other crimes. I believe (hope) Mr. Z. is still in jail for his crimes committed since the Travon Martin trial.

Affluenza:
That's a trial for the record books. The young man (16???) ploughed drunk into 4 people standing on the side of the road beside a car with trouble. I think they were waiting for a tow. Killed them all...plus some inside of his car too I think....there were 7 drunk kids in his 5 seater pickup). Alcohol level (4 hours after accident, as he refused on scene) was about 4x legal limit. would have been higher if done quickly. Defense lawyer said that the parents never installed any consequence on this "lad" growing up so he didn't understand normal behavior=consequence responsibility. His family were millionaires many times over. I think he did some months in a "Hollywood type" rehab lab (think pool, yoga, comfy private rooms). Then he did some house arrest. Perhaps some community service, I forget. That was it. Affluenza my a$$. Fortunately the judge was pulled off the bench when the public really turned on her. Lawyer got away with it though. I guess they can try ANYTHING, and in this lawyer's case his grasping for straws worked.

So, to conclude (sorry this is long) we have to hope that the jurors and the judge see through the BS the defense is throwing into the fray in this trial, and are prepared to deal with this defendant with the strong arm of the law.

The last flight out of San Diego to Chicago leaves at around 10:30 Pacific time and gets into Chicago at 4:30am Eastern time. That would put the "supposed killer" at Melinda's at or near 6:00am. Which (in theory) would fit. I'm guessing this is one of the "straws" being grasped. Lol.

But then in order to GET BACK to San Diego, he'd have to get back to the airport which is an hour away. And hope for that last minute seat. There's an 8:45 that gets into San Diego at 11:15am Pacific time. But I think that one would be hard to catch.

Either way. He couldn't have left at midnight and been back by 6:00am. More like left at 8:00 or 9:00pm and got back at 1:00 or 2:00pm the next day. Certainly someone on the jury has flown around and knows this. Or the prosecution will use this ridiculousness in their closing argument.

Barry,
I know what you are saying. And I understand your concerns.

I never felt any of those cases were "slam-dunks". Although they should have been won.

The problem (in my opinion) with those cases you are citing is that the prosecutors believed they were slam-dunks and didn't present their best case. I think they allowed their arrogance to get in the way of building the case systematically, chronologically and delivering it to a jury in a manner that MADE SENSE.

The OJ Simpson case was a mess. That case was ridiculous. They had his blood and the victims blood mixed together AT THE SCENE and in the killer's vehicle and home. They had the gloves, they had the shoe prints, they had the police reports, they had the photos of Nicole beat up, they had a history of stalking and abusive behavior. They kept going and confused the entire thing. Chris Darden SHOULD HAVE NEVER had Simpson try on those gloves! What a dumb move!!

Any time you have an overly confident prosecution....or an overly confident defense (think Mark Garagos) Remember? "the evidence is going to show that he is stone cold innocent." there is a big problem.

I don't believe we have that in this situation.

I can't see him getting off, or being sentenced "gently" at all. He really committed THREE murders, if you count those poor dogs. ( I wonder why it's even legal to kill your pets just because you don't want them?).

Barry,
I know what you are saying. And I understand your concerns.

I never felt any of those cases were "slam-dunks". Although they should have been won.

The problem (in my opinion) with those cases you are citing is that the prosecutors believed they were slam-dunks and didn't present their best case. I think they allowed their arrogance to get in the way of building the case systematically, chronologically and delivering it to a jury in a manner that MADE SENSE.

The OJ Simpson case was a mess. That case was ridiculous. They had his blood and the victims blood mixed together AT THE SCENE and in the killer's vehicle and home. They had the gloves, they had the shoe prints, they had the police reports, they had the photos of Nicole beat up, they had a history of stalking and abusive behavior. They kept going and confused the entire thing. Chris Darden SHOULD HAVE NEVER had Simpson try on those gloves! What a dumb move!!

Any time you have an overly confident prosecution....or an overly confident defense (think Mark Garagos) Remember? "the evidence is going to show that he is stone cold innocent." there is a big problem.

I don't believe we have that in this situation.

I agree, those trials were a mess. I am not seeing that same circus atmosphere in this case. Plus the defense is not exactly the Dream Team!

I hear you Arabian lover! I hope your take on this is correct. Still, I recall, upon hearing the verdicts in the above trials, being in disbelief. And the public were in disbelief. But so far no credible reasonable doubt has been presented, that I can see.

I can't see him getting off, or being sentenced "gently" at all. He really committed THREE murders, if you count those poor dogs. ( I wonder why it's even legal to kill your pets just because you don't want them?).

Actually Four murders if you count the unborn child (yet to be confirmed I believe), though I think before an unborn child can be considered murder it has to be X? months duration. I think Melinda's child, if there was one, was fairly early on.

And as sad as euthenizing the dogs, it probably is legal, otherwise the vet would not do it.

So, he is responsible for the death of four lives, but stands trial for only one :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arling