GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The countdown continues.. After what has seemed like an eternity of waiting it's only a few weeks away.. I know I can speak for myself as well as in sure a few others.. I'm Soooo ready for this man finally come face to face with what so many of us believe whole heartedly he did and to finally man up (we hope) and face the consequences for his actions.. taking away an amazing woman/mother/daughter/wife/friend/sister/niece/cousin/person.. && leaving EllieMae without a mother.. && yet one of the scariest and most nerve racking things in the world.. I'm not sure that I myself am ready to come face to face with the monster..

#JusticeForMelinda

I love this photo of Melinda, set her soul free. It captures her unique spirit and style. What a tragic loss for those who love her (and the world). Justice for Melinda! :rose:

Very interesting indeed that the policy was about to lapse. Also interesting the insurance company has him on tape telling Melinda to name him as beneficiary.

So glad the judge is allowing the life insurance policy into evidence!

The baby is so adorable, it's heartbreaking that her mom was taken away like this.

Like everyone else, I have been waiting for this day for long! Because of the policy and all the other evidence, he has no chance of getting anything less than a first degree murder charge. Prayers to Melinda. Justice will finally be served.

It seems like it's been years.....am looking forward to hearing about the trial. He's nothing short of a monster.

It looks like the Chicago Tribune has a strong interest in the trial, so hopefully those who want to follow it will find things there. Here is an article published today:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ey-murder-preview-st-0920-20150918-story.html

It will be interesting to see how the defense attorney tries to explain away the gunshot residue that was found on his hands.

Justice for Melinda!

Not to mention the insurance policy, no footprints leading up to the windows, and the fact that he couldn't demonstrate to the police just how he was able to call 911 and his brother with his hands zip-tied. I really don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that even the best defense attorney in the world could convince a jury that he didn't do it. I also think the defense's attempt to "victimize the victim" by claiming it was someone from Melinda's past will backfire on them.

And the jammed gun, the marital and financial problems, no evidence of anyone else having been in the home, or any signs a struggle took place with him being dragged through the house, unconscious, the baby not being distressed when police arrived. And this is just what has been reported by reputable news sources.

It appears from the recent article in the Chicago Tribune, the defense is going to try to claim the murderer was someone from her past, and not her husband. I personally think this is going to prove to be very problematic for them, for these reasons:

The prosecution can show the husband had a motive. I think there were several motives actually and they include marital and financial problems, which will likely come out in the trial, but the life insurance policy is the key, IMO. The prosecution has him on the insurance company audio instructing Melinda to name him as the beneficiary. The policy was about to lapse for non-payment on the day of her murder and I wouldn't be surprised if the prosecution can also show he knew the exact status of the policy on the day Melinda was murdered.

The prosecution can show he also had the means. Melinda's own gun. Since he had lived there, he would have known where it was kept.

The prosecution can prove he also had the opportunity to commit the crime. He was in the home when she was murdered.

I think the defense is going to have to produce an extremely compelling "other suspect" who had an even bigger motive than the husband had. I also think they will need to show the police were somehow negligent in their investigation in either not identifying or pursuing this other suspect, and they are going to have to explain why this other suspect left behind no evidence they were even in the home on the night she was murdered.

My opinion, but I think the best the defense can hope for is a hung jury. Because this is not a death penalty case, I don't think that is going to happen.

Prayers and hugs to Melinda's loved ones for strength as they face the next couple of weeks.

It's hard to believe, after all this time, that tomorrow, at 1pm, a coward has a date with the cold hard truth!
I wonder about SL...(Sleeping much tonight buddy?) Is he still thinking he can get away with murder?
Probably not, by now. He may have prepared to be convicted (of something), all along. I am thinking he spared the little one, (Thank God!), because he knew if he did time, he would need her to have any shot at all, at the insurance money). But I am certain the only remorse he feels right now, is for his own damned self!
I pray for a speedy conviction, with the utmost of penaltie(s) that can be levied!
Prayers for friends and family of Melinda...

Prayers and strength for Melinda's family and friends today,

It's time for justice

It's hard to believe, after all this time, that tomorrow, at 1pm, a coward has a date with the cold hard truth!
I wonder about SL...(Sleeping much tonight buddy?) Is he still thinking he can get away with murder?
Probably not, by now. He may have prepared to be convicted (of something), all along. I am thinking he spared the little one, (Thank God!), because he knew if he did time, he would need her to have any shot at all, at the insurance money). But I am certain the only remorse he feels right now, is for his own damned self!
I pray for a speedy conviction, with the utmost of penaltie(s) that can be levied!
Prayers for friends and family of Melinda...

I think the only reason the baby is alive today is because the gun jammed. If it had not he would have killed them both and been far away when the bodies were discovered. Just my opinion, of course.

Trial of husband accused in wife's murder to start
James D. Wolf Jr. Post-Tribune
September 18, 2015

The trial of a man accused of shooting and killing his wife in their Center Township home begins Tuesday and is expected to continue for two weeks.

Steven Lindsey, 35, of the 500 block of Indiana 49, faces 45 to 65 years in prison if found guilty of the Jan. 16 murder of Melinda Lindsey, 23, at their rural Valparaiso home.

[...]
Porter County Sheriff's Police had also been at the house days before because the Lindseys reported a stalker, according to court documents.

Defense Attorney Larry Rogers said the stalking had been going on for at least six months and sheriff's police had been at the house the day before.

The prosecution is expected to bring a $1 million insurance policy into evidence.

More than 100 witnesses on call for two-week murder trial
September 21, 2015

VALPARAISO | Prosecutors have a list of more than 100 potential witnesses as they set out to convict Steven Lindsey of killing his wife in their Center Township home.

Lindsey, 35, faces a single count of murder in the Jan. 16 death of 23-year-old Melinda Lindsey at 509 N. Ind. 149 with their daughter present.

Jury selection for an anticipated two-week trial was underway Monday before Porter Superior Court Judge Bill Alexa. The evidence portion of the trial is to begin Tuesday.

I think the only reason the baby is alive today is because the gun jammed. If it had not he would have killed them both and been far away when the bodies were discovered. Just my opinion, of course.

Why wouldn't he have just left the baby there and gone, "far away" then? I just feel something was odd about the call to his Bro, and I think he set it up for the baby to go there for a reason. jmo.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/update-murder-trial-delayed-after-witness-implicates-earlier-suspect/article_7458d55a-b537-58a3-85d6-a6f4de5f124b.html

The start of the murder trial against Center Township resident Steven Lindsey was delayed at the last minute Tuesday as a result of a potential witness coming forward the night before pointing the finger at an earlier suspect.

The potential witness claims a man that both she and the murder victim, 23-year-old Melinda Lindsey, had been intimately involved with had told her he and an accomplice carried out the crime, according to defense attorney Larry Rogers.

Yeah potential witness, wonder what her name is, why wait till now to come forward with the information.

Sounds like a stall tactic to me

how sad and frustrating for the family. Why couldn't they just continue with the trial, and bring in this witness later on???

I imagine delaying the trial is necessary to follow correct procedure. The victims family must be so frustrated.
Justice for Melinda.

I imagine delaying the trial is necessary to follow correct procedure. The victims family must be so frustrated.
Justice for Melinda.

Yes. Unfortunately they have to do it and give the defense ample time to "prepare" this last minute "witness". If they don't, this could be a reason for an appeal down the road.

It's frustrating and I'm sure very upsetting to Melinda's friends and family. But these tactics rarely work out well. Remember, the prosecution is preparing too.

Wow. That's got to be brutal for Melinda's family/friends. So... suddenly someone knows who killed her, a confession, (of sorts), has come to light...well. Isn't the timing so very strategic? In the Eleventh Hour, we have an actual NAMED suspect, ( it would seem), rather than veiled insinuation that it was, "someone" from Melinda past.

And so the plot thickens, but personally I still think the villain of the piece, remains the same.

From the link SweetPea referenced: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_7458d55a-b537-58a3-85d6-a6f4de5f124b.html

"Rogers said some of the information presented by the potential witness fits the evidence and some does not, but that her version of the events fits that of Steven Lindsey. She came forward after the man threatened to kill her, Rogers said."

So "her" version does not jibe with some of the evidence, but does fit Steve Lindsey's version . Big surprise.

This alleged suspect rushes forward with a death threat, the day before the trial date? Hmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenitsa