GUILTY IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Niner Thanks for catching that and @twall, too

Doxpop is still showing the trial confirmed for 9am CT. I'll check the live stream at that time; I really want to watch this trial or sentencing when it happens.

Last edited:
JLM docket updates-

01/14/2022
Hearing Scheduling Activity
Jury Trial scheduled for 01/17/2022 at 9:00 AM was cancelled. Reason: Other.

01/14/2022
Sentencing Hearing scheduled for 01/18/2022 at 10:00 AM.

@Niner Update for Lain; Coburn only has the 1/20 status conference.

01/14/2022 = Document Filed
Order on Filing of Plea Agreement
Filed By: Lain, Kenneth Robert
Filed By: Simanski, Joseph Vincent

01/14/2022 = Motion to Enter Plea Pursuant to Plea Agreement Filed
Parties File Plea Agreement: Probation to prepare PSI. (State; Probation; MCCC) CMK
Filed By: Simanski, Joseph Vincent

01/20/2022 = Hearing on Motion to Enter Plea Pursuant to Plea Agreement
Session: 01/20/2022 8:15 AM, Judicial Officer: Sarber, Matthew E.

JLM docket updates-

01/14/2022
Jury Trial scheduled for 01/17/2022 at 9:00 AM was cancelled. Reason: Other.

01/14/2022
Sentencing Hearing scheduled for 01/18/2022 at 10:00 AM.

Guess the Judge accepted his guilty plea - good. And I see the parents want to enter in a plea agreement also. Hopefully a good amount in sentencing - years!! I hope!

Guess the Judge accepted his guilty plea - good. And I see the parents want to enter in a plea agreement also. Hopefully a good amount in sentencing - years!! I hope!
Coburn doesn't seem to have a plea yet; her date is just a status conference. Is he going to claim full responsibility? Or is she waiting until she sees what he gets?

The parents are both only F6; the most they can get is 2 and 1/2 years. They have been in jail since Aug and probably have some good time days in addition.

Coburn doesn't seem to have a plea yet; her date is just a status conference. Is he going to claim full responsibility? Or is she waiting until she sees what he gets?

The parents are both only F6; the most they can get is 2 and 1/2 years. They have been in jail since Aug and probably have some good time days in addition.

Oops - than I better correct my notes - I thought both of them Coburn & Lain were having a plea agreement hearing. Thanks for that info! :)

Tuesday, January 18th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 10am CT) – IN – Mercedes Christine Lynn Lain (11 mos.) (last seen Aug. 14, 2021, reported missing Aug. 15, 2021, Silver Alert on Aug. 16, 2021, found deceased on Aug. 18, 2021 in Starke County, Miller led LE to scene) – *Justin Lee Miller (37) - charged (8/30/21) & arraigned (9/3/21) with murder. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash bond. Starke County
Trial was set to begin on 12/6/21 changed to 1/17/22 & vacated, Miller plead guilty (12/20/21).
Case info from 8/14/21 to 12/20/21 reference post #488 here:
Found Deceased - IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

12/20/21 Update: Miller says he was really high on synthetic weed & takes thorazine for mental problems & hit the baby when she started crying because of a fight with girlfriend. Miller said he “backhanded” the child in the face to try & keep her quiet & that her head hit the wall. Mercedes was next given a bottle which calmed her down, but only until the argument later reignited. That’s when Miller said he smacked the child again & that she went back down. Miller said he awoke later that day and discovered the child was not moving. Plead guilty to plea agreement. The plea agreement leaves sentencing to the discretion of the court. Miller’s guilty plea was taken under advisement by Starke County Circuit Court Judge Kim Hall. The plea deal provides no leniency. Miller would receive the same possible punishment by pleading guilty as he would if convicted at trial (45 to 65 years). The judge still has to accept or reject the plea. This will be done at the sentencing hearing which is scheduled for 1/18/22.
12/30/21: Motion to pay for deposition at public expense filed by Justin Miller. 1/7/21: Filed by State: Victim impact statement-Lain. Discovery Notice of Compliance. Document filed re overall locations. Autopsy report filed. Autopsy photos, Scene 1A, 1B & 2. Mishawaka photos filed. 1/10/22: Pre-sentence investigation report filed. PSI filed together with certificate of service. 1/11/22: Lab results-Latex glove & DNA reports clothing filed by State. Trial on 1/17/22 with back up date of 2/14/22.
1/14/22 Update: Jury trial scheduled on 1/17/22 has been cancelled. Judge has accepted Miller's guilty plea. Sentencing hearing on 1/18/22 @ 10am.
*Charged (8/19/21) & arraigned (8/24/21) with felony neglect of a dependent resulting in death. $100K bond. Plead not guilty. Marshall County

9/7/21: Marshall County: Order Granting Motion to Dismiss.
*Tiffany Jo Coburn (32/now 33) “mom” & Kenneth Robert Lain (41/now 42) “father” – for Coburn: status conference hearing on 1/20/22 & Lain: Plea agreement hearing on 1/20/22.

@Niner
Looking at the sentencing calendar, Judge Hall has set aside 10 -4 pm for the hearing. Central Time... it should begin in the next few minutes.

@Niner
Looking at the sentencing calendar, Judge Hall has set aside 10 -4 pm for the hearing. Central Time... it should begin in the next few minutes.

impatient1.gif

It started on time. LE, FBI and another official-type just finished testifying. Thankfully, they didn't show the public the crime scent or autopsy photos. They are on a very short break and then will hear victim statements.

I don't know how the defense will respond. Miller does have someone who will speak on his behalf.

Grandmother Angela Owen gave her statement and Miller's wife testified on his behalf. Prosecution is presenting her argument.

Murder trials are horrid.

Are there names to go with the LE, FBI - and the official looking person? I'd like to put that in my notes. TIA! If you don't mind... ??

One was Detective Ben McIntyre. Maybe @twall caught the names of the other two.

Yes, Ben is with the Plymouth police dept. I don't recall the others names and I didn't take notes. The second guy to testify was an FBI Agent from the South Bend field office who was with JLM when he showed him where he buried Mercedes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish
Back