GUILTY IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
#NEW: We just got a hold of the probable cause affidavit for Mercedes Lain’s parents Kenneth Lain and Tiffany Coburn.
They are currently sitting in the Marshall County Jail on preliminary charges of neglect of a dependent.
They provide somewhat of a timeline from when Mercedes parents dropped her off with a family friend to when she was reported missing.
The documents say last Friday, Mercedes parents dropped her off with family friend, Justin Miller, so they could have a break for the weekend.
Miller was supposed to bring her back on Sunday but when her parents got a hold of him he said he dropped the baby girl off with a woman who he had seen before but didn’t know.
When Miller was interviewed by police his recollection of the events changed several times.
He initially told police that he stayed at a friend's house in Koontz Lake, but then changed his story saying he was with his girlfriend who lives in Mishawaka.
He told them that when he went to drop the baby off at the motel, the parents weren’t there, so he left her with a woman who was staying in their room because he had an appointment to go to
He claims he communicated with the parents and admitted to police that he was using synthetic marijuana.
Police tried to get in contact with Mercedes parents several times and finally were able to reach them Monday morning.
They never came in to talk to police so they were arrested and questioned.
Police say the parents have been uncooperative in looking for their child.
Mercedes mother, Tiffany Coburn, admitted to police that she had use meth several times.
Both parents admit to being in contact with Justin Miller but say they don’t know where their daughter is.
Police were able to get in contact with the friend that Justin Miller told them he stayed within Koontz Lake.
That friend said he showed up with the baby on Friday... left and then when he came back on Sunday he didn’t have the baby.
Investigator say Mercedes was last seen wearing a white onesie with pink trim.
Anyone with information is asked to give Crimestoppers a call!

From WSBT: Max Lewis WSBT

I wonder if LE has searched around the Pleasant Lake area near Lakeville, IN. It's only 20 or so minutes from Mishawaka and about half way b/w Mishawaka and Plymouth. I bring it up only because I noticed it on Google Maps while looking at the areas where Mercedes was supposedly last seen (Mishawaka), Koontz Lake (where Miller supposedly went), and Plymouth (hotel where Lain and Coburn were staying). Just a thought.

#NEW: We just got a hold of the probable cause affidavit for Mercedes Lain’s parents Kenneth Lain and Tiffany Coburn.
They are currently sitting in the Marshall County Jail on preliminary charges of neglect of a dependent.
They provide somewhat of a timeline from when Mercedes parents dropped her off with a family friend to when she was reported missing.
The documents say last Friday, Mercedes parents dropped her off with family friend, Justin Miller, so they could have a break for the weekend.
Miller was supposed to bring her back on Sunday but when her parents got a hold of him he said he dropped the baby girl off with a woman who he had seen before but didn’t know.
When Miller was interviewed by police his recollection of the events changed several times.
He initially told police that he stayed at a friend's house in Koontz Lake, but then changed his story saying he was with his girlfriend who lives in Mishawaka.
He told them that when he went to drop the baby off at the motel, the parents weren’t there, so he left her with a woman who was staying in their room because he had an appointment to go to
He claims he communicated with the parents and admitted to police that he was using synthetic marijuana.
Police tried to get in contact with Mercedes parents several times and finally were able to reach them Monday morning.
Mercedes mother, Tiffany Coburn, admitted to police that she had use meth several times.
Both parents admit to being in contact with Justin Miller but say they don’t know where their daughter is.
Police were able to get in contact with the friend that Justin Miller told them he stayed within Koontz Lake.
That friend said he showed up with the baby on Friday... left and then when he came back on Sunday he didn’t have the baby.

RBBM

Where'd he go for an appointment? :confused:

Well based on this account, I have even more questions
o_O:rolleyes::eek:
Biggest one though, is who the heck reported this sweet baby missing? Sounds like none of the adults in her life cared enough to do that, or they were too busy covering their own behinds to do so.

Biggest one though, is who the heck reported this sweet baby missing? Sounds like none of the adults in her life cared enough to do that, or they were too busy covering their own behinds to do so.
Not to mention, where did 8/12 (Thursday) come into play?

"Miller was supposed to bring her back on Sunday but when her parents got a hold of him he said he dropped the baby girl off with a woman who he had seen before but didn’t know.

From WSBT: Log In or Sign Up to View

I believe Kenny reported her missing (father), according to earlier articles.

According to this article Kenny Lain reported Mercedes missing. BBM

We were contacted on Sunday afternoon by Kenny Lain, which would be Mercedes father. He wanted to file a missing persons report on Mercedes...Justin Miller was located early Monday morning around 3-3:30 a.m. in Starke County. He was taken into custody. His vehicle was also recovered,” said David Bacon, Chief with the Plymouth Police Department.

UPDATE: FBI releases new details in case of missing Plymouth 11-month-old

I believe Kenny reported her missing (father), according to earlier articles.

Interesting, I hadn't remembered that. Strange that he would report her missing, then be uncooperative with the police.

"In a Tweet the FBI now said that Mercedes Lain was last seen in Mishawaka about 12:30 in the morning on Saturday, August 14th. "

Do we know who saw her at this time?

More on Kenny Lain's past:

Back in December of 2014, the Knox Police Department began investigating Kenny Lain and his then-wife, Mary Lain, for neglect of a dependent after their daughter, who was a minor at the time and who we are not going to name, got pregnant.

The man who got the minor pregnant is named Angel Delapaz, who was 20-years-old when the minor was just 12.

According to the documents, in June 2015, Delapaz was arrested for child molestation and later sentenced to eight years in the Indiana Department of Corrections.

Meanwhile, Kenny Lain told investigators from a Starke County Jail cell, for an unrelated charge, while he knew his daughter was pregnant, he didn’t know Delapaz, said he’d never heard the name, and even said his daughter was never involved with any adults.

But the minor, Kenny’s daughter, told investigators her parents knew of her relationship with Delapaz, a relationship that she told investigators began around October of 2014. The minor also told police Delapaz would frequent the residence prior to the start of the minor’s relationship with him.

According to a police report, in November 2014, Kenny and Mary Lain allowed Delapaz to move in with them, and even allowed Delapaz to sleep in the minor’s room.

Fast forward to September 2015, after months of interviews and investigating, court documents show Mary Lain admitted to Knox Police that Kenny Lain told her in that exchange for marijuana from Delapaz, Kenny allowed the minor to go with Delapaz.

Mary wasn’t the only one to confirm that, so did another man named Cody Byrn, who was Mary Lain’s then-boyfriend and lived in the same house as the family.

Court documents show Kenny Lain was sentenced to two years in the Starke County Justice Center in April 2016, while Mary Lain served 105 days in jail and got 24-months’ probation.

Court documents shed light on Mercedes Lain's father, Kenny Lain's, troubled past

More on Kenny Lain's past:

Back in December of 2014, the Knox Police Department began investigating Kenny Lain and his then-wife, Mary Lain, for neglect of a dependent after their daughter, who was a minor at the time and who we are not going to name, got pregnant.

The man who got the minor pregnant is named Angel Delapaz, who was 20-years-old when the minor was just 12.

According to the documents, in June 2015, Delapaz was arrested for child molestation and later sentenced to eight years in the Indiana Department of Corrections.

Meanwhile, Kenny Lain told investigators from a Starke County Jail cell, for an unrelated charge, while he knew his daughter was pregnant, he didn’t know Delapaz, said he’d never heard the name, and even said his daughter was never involved with any adults.

But the minor, Kenny’s daughter, told investigators her parents knew of her relationship with Delapaz, a relationship that she told investigators began around October of 2014. The minor also told police Delapaz would frequent the residence prior to the start of the minor’s relationship with him.

According to a police report, in November 2014, Kenny and Mary Lain allowed Delapaz to move in with them, and even allowed Delapaz to sleep in the minor’s room.

Fast forward to September 2015, after months of interviews and investigating, court documents show Mary Lain admitted to Knox Police that Kenny Lain told her in that exchange for marijuana from Delapaz, Kenny allowed the minor to go with Delapaz.

Mary wasn’t the only one to confirm that, so did another man named Cody Byrn, who was Mary Lain’s then-boyfriend and lived in the same house as the family.

Court documents show Kenny Lain was sentenced to two years in the Starke County Justice Center in April 2016, while Mary Lain served 105 days in jail and got 24-months’ probation.

Court documents shed light on Mercedes Lain's father, Kenny Lain's, troubled past
I"m going to be sick. I would like to get my hands on these judges who give out crappy sentences. IMO

No surprise both parents being uncooperative in finding their sweet daughter. I get the feeling they would search much more desperately for a dropped rock of meth,on a gas station restroom floor. MOO

I"m going to be sick. I would like to get my hands on these judges who give out crappy sentences. IMO

It's sick. The daughter pushed for Kenny's rights to be terminated in court for her younger sisters, too, without success, I believe. She was adopted thankfully, and has talked about her experience now as an adult

"Those attending got a chance to hear a firsthand account of the impact that adoption can have on a child’s life. Judge Kim Hall introduced Paige Hodge, who first appeared in his courtroom under trying circumstances. “About four years ago, here in Starke County, two parents offered their 12-year-old daughter to a 22-year-old man for a sexual relationship in exchange for drugs,” Hall said. “At 12 years old, their daughter got pregnant.”

Hall said that both parents and the man were arrested, prosecuted, and convicted, while Paige was removed from the household and gave birth to a son. On Friday, she returned to Starke Circuit Court to share her experience. “When I first walked in this courtroom, I was 12, and when I walked in, I was so scared,” she recalled. “I didn’t know what was going to happen, didn’t know where I was going to go. And that continued for many years. I went from placement to placement, about 11 within the time of three years, and then I was finally sent to White’s.”

Hannah, Oakley, and Paige
Four Families Finalize Adoptions during Starke Circuit Court’s Adoption Day Celebration

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish
Back