Identified! IN - Morocco, 'Charlene Doe' 499UFIN, 25-45, in Willow Slough, Aug'88 - Jenifer Noreen Denton

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The close top match is even more amazing considering she's African American. Most of the other African Americans have very poor matches, and actually other than her top match, she also has very poor matches with only 2 over 40cm.

Though, with a match that high, I'd have thought she would have been identified by now. There could be endogamy going on, or NPEs.
DDP mentioned on their page that there are more than a few cases solved, but still pending confirmation or announcement. I wonder if this is one of them.
Covid has really hampered investigations in that regard due to travel restrictions and LE wanting to give the announcements to the family in person, while still making sure the families stay safe.

Identified as Jenifer Noreen Denton from Joliet, Illinois.

upload_2021-3-6_20-19-29.png

Jenifer Denton was born in 1963 and was twenty-four years old when she went missing from her Joliet home. She left behind her one-year-old daughter and all her personal belongings. When she was found, it was determined that Jenifer had been shot at least once in the head. This case is still considered to be open and further investigations are underway into this murder.

Charlene Doe Newton Co 1988 - DNA Doe Project Cases

Jenifer was gorgeous. Now I am even more intrigued to know who was the person found near her and if they knew each other.

They very likely did as per some information on the first page. Sherrod Jr had ties to Joliet, Illinois and now identified Jenifer was from there too. Their bodies were moved on top of each other after they were both shot and then both were burned with tires and trees on top of them.

From 2016 news article

Charlene's Doe remains were found with Tony Sherrod, of Pembroke Township, along Beaver Creek in Willow Slough State Park near Morocco, Ind., on Aug. 5, 1988. They had been missing since July 4 after leaving a family function in Pembroke.

Both were shot in the head and their bodies burned. McCord said they probably were killed July 4. A fisherman found the skull of Charlene and contacted authorities.

Indiana coroner vows to identify murder victims

Last edited:
They very likely did as per some information on the first page. Sherrod Jr had ties to Joliet, Illinois and now identified Jenifer was from there too. Their bodies were moved on top of each other after they were both shot and then both were burned with tires and trees on top of them.

From 2016 news article

Charlene's Doe remains were found with Tony Sherrod, of Pembroke Township, along Beaver Creek in Willow Slough State Park near Morocco, Ind., on Aug. 5, 1988. They had been missing since July 4 after leaving a family function in Pembroke.

Both were shot in the head and their bodies burned. McCord said they probably were killed July 4. A fisherman found the skull of Charlene and contacted authorities.

Indiana coroner vows to identify murder victims
Interesting! I wonder why his family did not want to tell the police who the woman was. As I can see from a different article Tony was married, maybe it was the reason, maybe Tony's family knew about Jenifer, but did not want to hurt his wife (just a version).

GUN VICTIM IS IDENTIFIED 1 YEAR LATER

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back