IN - Mother demands babysitter be charged after 3-year old daughter found dead in septic tank - 12/27/23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score

Jill Humphries said she received a disturbing call from her sister in October several hours after leaving for work, Cincinnati station WXIX reported. She was crying hysterically and told Humphries that rescue workers were doing CPR on her child, Kenna Humphries.

I can absolutely understand both the mother’s emotion and LE’s investigative perspective on this. The guilt - I cannot imagine, as a mother of daughters, how I would go on after that.

Jill Humphries said she received a disturbing call from her sister in October several hours after leaving for work, Cincinnati station WXIX reported. She was crying hysterically and told Humphries that rescue workers were doing CPR on her child, Kenna Humphries.

A tragic accident?
How does a three year leave the house and lift a heavy lid then slip in and drown?
Someone wasn't watching the child!

The only septic tank lids I have had experience with are the ones I have had on a few of my properties. They were heavy and locked into place with heavy bolts.

Here is some information I found:

Keep the lids secure by repairing or replacing all damaged or missing parts.

Use bolts, screws, or other locks to secure the lids and prevent easy access.

From the above link

I wonder if this refers to the same sister (mother of the babysitter)
Looks like it was.

How old was the babysitter? I know reports have stated that she was a minor, but there is a big difference between a 17 year old and a 12 year old.

The whole situation is a horrible tragedy if indeed the child wandered out of the house and fell in before they noticed she got outside.
I just hope no noe neglected the child on purpose. :(

A tragic accident?
How does a three year leave the house and lift a heavy lid then slip in and drown?
Someone wasn't watching the child!

I think anyone could lose sight of a child for a brief time if they have something else going on (cooking, cleaning, a 2nd child to watch, urgent need for "facilities," etc.)
I want to at least try to understand what happened. And why was the septic tank accessible?

I think anyone could lose sight of a child for a brief time if they have something else going on (cooking, cleaning, a 2nd child to watch, urgent need for "facilities," etc.)
I want to at least try to understand what happened. And why was the septic tank accessible?

yeah, this whole accident is horrible. If the mother believes they neglected her daughter I could see why she is so upset.
I'd need more info before I make any comments.

She was preceded in death by her father, William Clayton, her mother, Marilyn Spurlock Clayton, her husband, Charles Freeman, died January 2, 2019, her brother, Justin Clayton, and her niece whom she cared for, Kenna Harper Wilson, died October 19, 2023.

Really a horrible and tragic story. I don’t see how prosecuting the niece will help as it sounds like just a horrendous mishap.

Unless it was truly habitual or blatant neglect, I would think that she is suffering enough.

Ric Hertel, the prosecutor for southeastern Indiana's Ripley County, said that as tragic as the incident is, there is no evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

"My heart goes out to her, but there are some situations that are terrible accidents," Hartel wrote in a statement.

Last edited:
The only septic tank lids I have had experience with are the ones I have had on a few of my properties. They were heavy and locked into place with heavy bolts.

Here is some information I found:

Keep the lids secure by repairing or replacing all damaged or missing parts.

Use bolts, screws, or other locks to secure the lids and prevent easy access.
I remember when my husband and I bought a riverfront property, the septic was covered with plywood boards and my young niece stood on them and nearly fell in. I shudder now, looking back.

I guess we don’t know what condition the lid was in in this case, but the prosecutor saw no evidence of any kind of criminal negligence.

Such a horrible thing to happen, and obviously the sister committed suicide after. Horrible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back