IN - Parents charged with ignoring 12-year old daughter's diabetes until she died - August 8, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score

EVANSVILLE — Parents Ashley and Brent Bredhold were taken into custody Wednesday in connection with the death of their 12-year-old daughter, Alice, who was found dead in their Evansville home on July 4 of what police described as complications from untreated diabetes.

EVANSVILLE — Parents Ashley and Brent Bredhold were taken into custody Wednesday in connection with the death of their 12-year-old daughter, Alice, who was found dead in their Evansville home on July 4 of what police described as complications from untreated diabetes.
The same thing happened here in Australia not too long ago, although they were deeply religous and thought god would heal her. People like this should not be parents.

From the article:

“After Alice’s death, DCS removed two other children from the home, according to police, after each room in the house was found to be filled with trash and insects.”

This is so horrible. This poor girl must’ve suffered so much. Enraged to see that DCS didn’t do more while she was ALIVE. I hope the two children receive the help they need, and are never returned to that home.

The Department of Child Services had reportedly been involved because Alice's school had reported that she had consistently extremely high blood sugar at school - 34 times since January.

A nurse at the school once reported Alice had a blood-sugar level that was 'life threatening. The nurse noted Alice's parents should have known her sugar levels were high 'because her Dexcom monitor was beeping.'

'This is a chronic issue and Mr. and Mrs. Bredhold failed to correct this before she came to school,' the nurse noted.
Appalling new claims against parents 'who left daughter, 12, to die'

absolutely preventable and tragic. Poor thing, such a sweet smile. I am curious what exactly DCS's involvement was. When exactly did they become involved? Did the conduct home visits? Were they checking in on this child to ensure the reported problem was being corrected? If they were involved why is she dead?

Last edited:
Trash, insects, ignoring their child's beeping monitor, ignoring their child while she was unconcious-- what was going on with the "parents?" Did friends or relatives know what was happening in that house?

The system failed this child. I know the school did make calls, but it sounds like rarely. Why were they not required to report every separate incident? And why did authorities ignore the reports they received (if they didn't act immediately?) JMO.

This is all so horrible. I wonder why she did not have a pump if the parents were not managing insulin responsibly and she already had a meter. Or, why the kids were not removed (although that can lead to other bad situation). RIP.

I'm reminded of Alexandru Radita from Canada. There was also a religious component in his case, but I'm pretty sure his parents didn't withhold his insulin for religious reasons, they were just downright neglectful. DCS (or the Canadian equivalent) was aware of his situation and he was placed in foster care when he was younger since his parents weren't treating his diabetes, but he eventually returned to them. It's an absolutely horrible case.

This can't keep happening. Rest in peace, Alice. I'm so sorry that so many people in your life failed you.

I'm reminded of Alexandru Radita from Canada. There was also a religious component in his case, but I'm pretty sure his parents didn't withhold his insulin for religious reasons, they were just downright neglectful. DCS (or the Canadian equivalent) was aware of his situation and he was placed in foster care when he was younger since his parents weren't treating his diabetes, but he eventually returned to them. It's an absolutely horrible case.

This can't keep happening. Rest in peace, Alice. I'm so sorry that so many people in your life failed you.
Convicted killer tries to claim innocence in inquiry into his teenage son's death
'Trusting only in God': One of 14 accused of killing Elizabeth Struhs emailed details of her death to his boss
Links to the Canada/Australia cases.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop