GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Gas City woman accused of strangling her stepdaughter told a judge Monday that she "doesn't need a lawyer," and will represent herself at trial.

Amanda Carmack, 34, is charged with the murder of 10-year-old Skylea Carmack.

Carmack is charged with murder, strangulation, child neglect, and domestic battery.

Grant Co. Prosecutor Rodney Faulk intends to seek life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Carmack's next court appearance is set for Jan. 8, 2020.
Woman Accused of Killing Stepdaughter Will Represent Herself at Trial

The Gas City woman accused of strangling her stepdaughter told a judge Monday that she "doesn't need a lawyer," and will represent herself at trial.

Amanda Carmack, 34, is charged with the murder of 10-year-old Skylea Carmack.

Carmack is charged with murder, strangulation, child neglect, and domestic battery.

Grant Co. Prosecutor Rodney Faulk intends to seek life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Carmack's next court appearance is set for Jan. 8, 2020.
Woman Accused of Killing Stepdaughter Will Represent Herself at Trial
Proves my earlier point. How stupid can this criminal be?

May be a matter of no money for an attorney and what she did has now hit home.
Can a person really represent themselves in a capital murder case? Seems that is a set up for an appeal of poor representation.

But, isn't an attorney appointed for anyone who can't afford to hire one?

Yes.

First the judge has to approve this move, if that happens, the usual practice is to assign an attorney to assist her defense.
Will she have to prove she doesn't have the funds for an attorney before getting a public defender? We don't do criminal so I don't know that process. I also wonder if there is a reason they aren't seeking the DP - doesn't IN have it? I will go look that up. JMO

ETA: Yes, they have it
State by State | Death Penalty Information Center

All the signs of a narcissist. This phrase gets thrown around a lot but between her multiple FB posts and this move it is pretty obvious this woman thinks very highly of herself.

Yup, I couldn’t agree more.

She’s the mother from hell, yet ironically, sees herself as mother of the year.

She lacks any self-awareness, and somehow sees herself as a victim.

It’s pretty remarkable.

Will she have to prove she doesn't have the funds for an attorney before getting a public defender? We don't do criminal so I don't know that process. I also wonder if there is a reason they aren't seeking the DP - doesn't IN have it? I will go look that up. JMO

I’m not sure of the specifics, but it certainly looks to me like she will qualify for a public defender.

Indiana does have the death penalty, and I’m not entirely sure why they’ve decided not to pursue it here.

Perhaps because she confessed, and claimed this occurred because “she was angry.”

The fact that a child was involved, would normally open the door (it looks like she’d qualify under Indiana law because the victim was under 12 years of age).

So who knows.

I wonder if she is thinking of pleading guilty and not going to trial. I agree with all who said she will most likely qualify for a public defender and would get a lawyer to support her if she does go to court unrepresented.

According to Findlaw, this murder would qualify for capital punishment based on Skylea's age. So, I wonder why they are seeking life imprisonment.

From Indiana Capital Punishment Laws - FindLaw:

Definition of Capital Homicide

Intentional murder while committing/attempting to commit arson, burglary, child molesting, criminal deviate conduct, kidnapping, rape, robbery, carjacking, criminal gang activity dealing in cocaine or narcotic drug; unlawful detonation of explosive with intent to injure; lying in wait; hiring or hired to kill; victim was law enforcement officer, etc.; another conviction of murder; under sentence of life imprisonment and time; victim dismembered; victim less than 12 years old; victim was witness against defendant; has committed another murder at any time regardless of whether convicted; committed murder by firing into an inhabited dwelling or from a vehicle; victim of murder was pregnant and murder resulted in intentional killing of a viable fetus; victim was burned, mutilated or tortured while victim was still alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring
Back