IN IN - St Joseph Co., 'Madison' WhtFem 177UFIN, 20-35, in remote area, Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This UID has two ruleouts lists.

This is the one from Doenetwork http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/177ufin.html

Authorities have requested that the following missing females be posted on this case file as being RULED-OUT as 177UFIN:

Peggy A Davis - 1336DFIL (dentals)
Cindy Lesko - 1072DFMI
Margaret Sherman - 1316DFIN
Wendy R Smith - 1441DFON
Rene M Roof - 396DFCA
Anjanette Piotrowski - 1504DFNY
Melissa Crabill - 1281DFTX
Brenda Snouffer - 1288DFFL
Jodi Sue Huisentruit - 1326DFIA
Melissa Clifton - 1335DFFL
Amanda Fravel - 2491DFNV
Angie Lynn Daley - 1285DFPA

And this is on Namus https://identifyus.org/cases/782. Some names are on both lists.

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Robin Abrams 1962 Illinois
Veronica Blumhorst 1969 Illinois
Clarissa Culberson 1974 Ohio
Dail Dinwiddie 1969 South Carolina
Melanie Flynn 1952 Kentucky
Michele Geibel 1973 Ohio
Dawn Haines 1967 Kentucky
Nelda Hardwick 1959 Louisiana
Jodi Huisentruit 1968 Iowa
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Ella Beth Lodermeier 1948 South Dakota
Deborah McCall 1963 Illinois
Dawn Miller 1970 Pennsylvania
Misty Mock 1966 Washington
Barbara Monaco 1960 Virginia
Eleanor Parker 1962 Louisiana
Dean Pyle Peters 1966 Michigan
Tricia Reitler 1974 Indiana
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Sharon Sons 1965 Kentucky
Karen Spencer 1972 Ohio
Heather Teague 1972 Kentucky
Robin Veudreuil Unknown Massachusetts
Colleen Voitik McHugh 1963 Illinois
Nancy Willis 1961 Tennessee
Carol Wood 1966 New York
Nancy Wroblewski 1954 Indiana

For the last couple of months, I have been debating calling LE about this Indiana MP possibly being Madison.

Jennifer Lee Schmidt disappeared from West Lafayette IN in August 1985. She was a Purdue student, and foul play is suspected in her disappearance. She has a very strong resemblance to the recon of Madison. Jennifer only has dentals in NAMUS, not DNA. It seems like it could be a simple "Yes"or "No" as far as a dental comparison with Madison.

Jennifer's Links: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4822/0

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2775dfin.html

Madison recon link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/177ufin.html/

West Lafayette is about 2-2 1/2 hours from where Madison was found. I am not suggesting Jennifer because she is in my tagline. I added Jennifer to the tagline because as a Purdue grad, I would very much like to see Jennifer's case solved.

No new ruleouts on either Namus or Doenet, though the modification date indicates something was changed in the last couple of days.

Feb 05, 2019 Michiana Unsolved: Mysterious remains

Eleven years later, a group of hunters came across bones in the 21000 block of Madison Road. An American Electric Power utility access area.

"As they're tromping around the field and the brush, they discovered some bones, and it looked like these may not be animal," he added.

And they weren't. A woman's bones were found Dec. 29, 1996. Investigators later nicknamed her "Madison".

Dosmann said she'd been there more than a year, too long to determine an exact cause of death. "This case is skeletal remains, so we don't have an option of scars, marks, tattoos, eye color. We do know she had brown hair," he added.

But there was something unique, something she'd had since birth.

"Her upper lateral incisors, tooth 7 and tooth 10, so in other words, not the two middle ones but the upper incisors on each side, they were missing," Dosmann said.

Dental X-rays and DNA were collected from "Madison," and forensic anthropologists have examined her case with no luck.

Both detectives say that, to their knowledge, neither victim has ever been reported missing locally. And though there is some DNA, it hasn't matched anything submitted into National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, or NamUs.

But Madison's case was entered into NamUs, a free resource of the National Institute of Justice. Scientific experts can compares DNA and other information to missing, unidentified and unclaimed persons cases across the country.
---
Dosmann hopes to find funding for the isotope testing or agencies that will donate resources to Madison's case.

If you have information on either investigation, contact the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit at 574-235-5009 or Crime Stoppers at 574-288-7867. You can remain anonymous.

Michiana Unsolved: Mysterious remains

Just to add, article mention that at the same location male body was found on June 9, 1985. He is also still unidentified and apparently not yet in NamUs. There is more about him in the same article.

This UID has two ruleouts lists.

This is the one from Doenetwork 177UFIN

Authorities have requested that the following missing females be posted on this case file as being RULED-OUT as 177UFIN:

Peggy A Davis - 1336DFIL (dentals)
Cindy Lesko - 1072DFMI
Margaret Sherman - 1316DFIN
Wendy R Smith - 1441DFON
Rene M Roof - 396DFCA
Anjanette Piotrowski - 1504DFNY
Melissa Crabill - 1281DFTX
Brenda Snouffer - 1288DFFL
Jodi Sue Huisentruit - 1326DFIA
Melissa Clifton - 1335DFFL
Amanda Fravel - 2491DFNV
Angie Lynn Daley - 1285DFPA

And this is on Namus Unidentified Person Case. Some names are on both lists.

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Michele Geibel 1973 Ohio
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Karen Spencer 1972 Ohio
Carol Wood 1966 New York

Added to Namus Unidentified Person Case:

Janet March, Tennessee
Janis Sanders, Berien Michigan
Doreen Tiedman, Cuyahoga Ohio

Her Doenetwork listing no longer has a separate ruleouts list but none of the names that were on it have been added to the Namus page.

Two additions to the exclusions list (names bolded) The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Jahzeel Collazo-Rios Michigan
Michele Geibel 1973 Ohio
Christine Honson Michigan
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Janet March, Tennessee
Karen Spencer 1972 Ohio
Doreen Tiedman, Cuyahoga Ohio
Carol Wood 1966 New York

Updated Exclusion list: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Jahzeel Collazo-Rios Michigan
Michele Geibel 1973 Ohio
Christine Honson Michigan
Julie Johnson 1991 Indiana
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Janet March, Tennessee
Kimberly Shanders 1987 Illionis
Karen Spencer 1972 Ohio
Doreen Tiedman, 1993 Cuyahoga Ohio
Robin Veudreuil 1995 Massachusetts
Carol Wood 1966 New York

Looks like a stable isotope analysis report has also been added to her profile. In summary:

All samples analyzed have been determined to be well-preserved. This individual spent significant time in the Great Lakes, New England, or Pacific Northwest regions with a lesser probability of origin in North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho during adolescence. This individual shows a lifetime average region of origin in the same area.

This is kind of a tin-foil theory but do you think it could be Rose Marie Larner?
  • The story that the friend, Billy Brown, told is quintessential satanic panic. Almost begs believability.
  • John Ortiz-Kehoe, the ex-boyfriend, maintains his innocence to this day (he maintains a blog and apparently has a podcast about his innocence?).
  • Rose's body was never found. Investigators found a speck of blood at his grandparents house but no remains.
Height/weight matches. Albion, MI is about 2 hours from South Bend, so a little far but not unheard of....

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 7.12.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 7.13.34 PM.png

Last edited:
This is kind of a tin-foil theory but do you think it could be Rose Marie Larner?
  • The story that the friend, Billy Brown, told is quintessential satanic panic. Almost begs believability.
  • John Ortiz-Kehoe, the ex-boyfriend, maintains his innocence to this day (he maintains a blog and apparently has a podcast about his innocence?).
  • Rose's body was never found. Investigators found a speck of blood at his grandparents house but no remains.
Height/weight matches. Albion, MI is about 2 hours from South Bend, so a little far but not unheard of....

View attachment 300127 View attachment 300128

Eh, maybe not. He seems to not dispute that they burned her body.

Hmmm. She does match on a lot of fronts. I'm not seeing much facial resemblance, though. Madison seems to be rather sharp-featured while Rose is soft and round.

I find it hard to believe if they dismembered her in the house, they wouldn't have had more than a drop of blood, even after several years. If they tried to burn her in the fireplace, I would be surprised there wasn't a trace there, either. So basically I don't believe that story and would find it more plausible that they drove two hours to dispose of her.

Not sure how they'd get her to the remote location though, unless one of them owns a three- or four-wheeler.

Hmmmm....

Hmmm. She does match on a lot of fronts. I'm not seeing much facial resemblance, though. Madison seems to be rather sharp-featured while Rose is soft and round.

I find it hard to believe if they dismembered her in the house, they wouldn't have had more than a drop of blood, even after several years. If they tried to burn her in the fireplace, I would be surprised there wasn't a trace there, either. So basically I don't believe that story and would find it more plausible that they drove two hours to dispose of her.

Not sure how they'd get her to the remote location though, unless one of them owns a three- or four-wheeler.

Hmmmm....

I agree that the facial resemblance is only kinda there. It's Rose's sloped nose and slanted eyes that seemed off to me. The chin looked pointy-ish from the side.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 6.45.25 PM.png

But a 5'-1", 110lbs woman going missing on Dec 7, 1993, 2 hours away, that was never found, seemed worth hmming about.

There is a lot of the story that doesn't quite make sense. I am kind of baffled by the burning the body. It's not as easy as people think it is. It takes a lot of heat to cremate a body (In India, where it is still a common practice, a typical pyre will burn for 5-6 hours and use 1,102-1,323lbs of wood). Additionally, it only burns away the soft stuff. The bones would still need to be ground down.

As to vehicle, apparently they were driving Kehoe's truck (who knows if it had 4-wheel). If they're driving 2 hours to dispose, don't know why South Bend would make sense instead of, say, Lake Michigan.

In the end, investigators consider this case closed and resolved, so, I doubt it would be possible to get her added to NamUs and figure out if she could be compared. Mostly just theorizing on this one.

I agree that the facial resemblance is only kinda there. It's Rose's sloped nose and slanted eyes that seemed off to me. The chin looked pointy-ish from the side.

View attachment 300238

But a 5'-1", 110lbs woman going missing on Dec 7, 1993, 2 hours away, that was never found, seemed worth hmming about.

There is a lot of the story that doesn't quite make sense. I am kind of baffled by the burning the body. It's not as easy as people think it is. It takes a lot of heat to cremate a body (In India, where it is still a common practice, a typical pyre will burn for 5-6 hours and use 1,102-1,323lbs of wood). Additionally, it only burns away the soft stuff. The bones would still need to be ground down.

As to vehicle, apparently they were driving Kehoe's truck (who knows if it had 4-wheel). If they're driving 2 hours to dispose, don't know why South Bend would make sense instead of, say, Lake Michigan.

In the end, investigators consider this case closed and resolved, so, I doubt it would be possible to get her added to NamUs and figure out if she could be compared. Mostly just theorizing on this one.

Yeah, I agree about the burning. If that's really what they did, some trace would have been found. I also agree that the coincidence is eye-catching. I wonder if there's still anybody around who remembers the case who would be curious about it?

There are many reasons why murderers choose the places where they leave a body. Often it's because they're familiar with the area or have been there before, so it could be a place where they had gone hunting, or maybe one of them worked as a lineman, or a relative owns property nearby. Robert Evans in NH left the bodies in a place where he had done work for his employer.

As of yesterday, “Madison” has been unidentified for 25 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back