GUILTY IN - Three Children Killed at School Bus Stop, Fulton County, Rochester, 30 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is getting frustrating.
The sentencing was at 1 EST. (according to twitter, etc).
1 hour later, still no news. Can't find any updates or if there is a delay. I don't recall reading a sentne taking this long. Does anyone know if there was a delay?

Last edited:
1 hour later, still no news. Can't find any updates or if there is a delay. I don't recall reading a sentence taking this long. Does anyone know if there was a delay?

1 hour later, still no news. Can't find any updates or if there is a delay. I don't recall reading a sentence taking this long. Does anyone know if there was a delay?

I haven't seen anything new yet, checked the news, google, twitter and mycase. There were a couple of reporters tweeting from the courthouse so that seems the likely place something will pop up soon.

That's what I was thinking, so I've kept my eye on Twitter.
I remember now what happens during this phase, and it can take awhile. There are probably a ton of folks, family and friends of the victims, as well as AS's supporters, who are giving testimony and asking the judge either for more/less time, depending on who they are there for. I totally forgot that part.

Three years??

For each reckless homicide count, Shepherd was sentenced to one year in prison, one year of house arrest and one year of probation.

For the other two charges, Shepherd may have to serve an additional year in prison. We're working to clarify those details.

Not an unexpected sentence, taking into account the sentencing range for other reckless homicide cases. Judge played it by the book.

Brittany Ingle, mother of the twin boys, charged at Shepherd and punched her. She was charged with a misdemeanor battery,according Fort Wayne's NBC.

Shepherd faced a maximum of 21.5 years in prison on three counts of reckless homicide, one count of criminal recklessness and one misdemeanor count of passing a school bus with its stop arm extended, causing bodily injury.

Mom whose children killed by motorist LUNGES at 25-year-old driver in court during sentencing | Daily Mail Online

The heartbroken mother whose three children were hit and killed as they were walking to their school bus last year, lunged at the driver who struck them during an emotional sentencing in court this week.

Indiana woman Alyssa Shepherd, 25, was sentenced to four years behind bars, three following years in house arrest and then three years of probation on Wednesday for the devastating October 2018 bus stop crash.

Her driver's license will also be suspended for the next 10 years.

22438258-7808397-During_the_emotional_sentencing_the_children_s_mother_Brittany_I-m-86_1576737768887.jpg

Mom charged with misdemeanor battery.

Brittany Ingle, mother of the twin boys, charged at Shepherd and punched her. She was charged with a misdemeanor battery,according Fort Wayne's NBC.

Shepherd faced a maximum of 21.5 years in prison on three counts of reckless homicide, one count of criminal recklessness and one misdemeanor count of passing a school bus with its stop arm extended, causing bodily injury.

The families have every right to be angry at the slap on the wrist she got.

Shepherd's lawyer asked for a suspended sentence which means no time served behind bars. But the family of the victims asked for the maximum sentence of 21 and a half years behind bars.

Prosecutors said that given the circumstances and that she's a first time offender, giving her the maximum sentence would not be appropriate.

It seems to me nobody (including prosecutor) listened to the family....

I'll grant what the prosecutors said, that the maximum sentence may not have been appropriate, given she was a first time offender. But I also think the judge went too easy and the victims and their families deserved more consideration than that. Somewhere in the middle of suspended sentence and the maximum was justice, not this.
Is she serving the one years concurrent or consecutively? (I think those are the correct terms).

As I mentioned previously, this sentence is about what was to be expected, compared with previous reckless homicide cases in Indiana and taking the sentencing guidelines into account. I've written a post detailing other cases earlier in this thread, so I won't repeat those, but it's clear people who behave far more recklessly (DUI, excessive speeding) than this woman also receive short sentences. The one aggravating factor that really gets you slammed with the max penalty is having priors/being an habitual offender. Looking at the facts of the case and looking at other reckless homicide cases, it's readily apparent that at no point would she ever have gotten the max and that the sentence given falls well within the expected sentencing range.

In this case the incident happened before sunrise on a dark country road at an unilluminated bus stop (which parents had complained about multiple times in the past) , where kids were forced to cross a 55 mph road in the dark. The defendant was not driving under the influence of either alcohol or drugs, wasn't speeding and wasn't dawdling on her phone. As noted, the defendant said she thought it was a semi or some sort of farm truck, which is, given the time of the year and the area, not such a strange thing to believe. I'll specifically point out that at no point during the trial did the prosecution try to make the argument that she was lying and actually intentionally passed the school bus and that the behavior that she got convicted for was not 'knowingly and intentionally passing a school bus', but instead 'not reducing your speed whilst passing a large vehicle with flashing lights'. As far as reckless behavior goes (compared to other reckless homicide cases), that's at the very bottom end of the bell curve, and that fact alone was enough to ensure a sentence at the low end of the scale.

Brittany Ingle, mom of 3 kids killed in bus stop crash, attacks driver in court

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/britt...ed-in-bus-stop-crash-attacks-driver-in-court/

Joshua Short on Twitter

ALSO BREAKING: We’ve just learned Brittany Ingle was put on suicide watch while in jail overnight.

Joshua Short on Twitter

BREAKING NOW: Brittany Ingle, the mother of the three kids who were killed in the Fulton County bus stop crash, was JUST released from a Fulton County jail. She was taken from the courthouse in handcuffs Wednesday after trying to charge at Alyssa Shepherd during sentencing.

Joshua Short on Twitter

Here’s a statement from Brittany just in to @TSlomaWNDU . Tricia has worked this story from the very beginning and is on this story for you today. She’s been in constant contact with the families involved. Ingle has a court date on January 7th for a misdemeanor battery charge.

Attachments

• statement.jpg
    statement.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 26
Joshua Short on Twitter

Here’s a statement from Brittany just in to @TSlomaWNDU . Tricia has worked this story from the very beginning and is on this story for you today. She’s been in constant contact with the families involved. Ingle has a court date on January 7th for a misdemeanor battery charge.

My heart goes out to Brittany and her family. Members of the community are outraged and I don't blame them one bit. I stumbled onto a petition on change.org and signed it. I know it won't accomplish anything legally but I want the family to know I support their anger. Four years in prison is unjust for taking three lives and violently altering the life of a fourth child. It is disgraceful.

I won't link the change.org petition because I don't know if it's allowed under TOS but it is headed, "Appeal Fulton County and Judge Greg Heller's Decision." 12,500 outraged voters have already signed it and it has only been up a couple of days. The entire population of Fulton County is approx. 20,000.

JMO

Thank god the justice system doesn't operate on change.org petitions and outrage culture, since I simply can't help but notice that change.org petition is rife with errors and misrepresentations of facts regarding this case. I'm going to be generous and just assume say the petitioner is merely misinformed, instead of intentionally misrepresenting the facts to inflame passion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder
Back