Interim discussion regarding questions from the jury and Arias on the stand #80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw reported this morning on HLN a comment that after this trial, they think more states will go to juries asking questions. Thoughts? I personally LOVE IT.

100% support it as it would force a double-talking, non committal fruit loop like her to answer. Some people have brains that work linearly and may get bowled over by her hyper literal correcting.

Not to mention being bored to death by a DT that functions at a snail's pace ffs. :banghead:

Ok y'all I posted the above about the gun 2-3 weeks ago... I feel bad at even doing so now because of what happened in court the other day concerning the gun. At the time I was playing devils advocate.... I don't think or know if I put this out there and defense saw it and used it or if they probably had already came up with an answer!
But I won't post anything now that in any way gives them ideas..... I also feel like Pasa, they could be lurking around, to come up with anything to help Jodi explain! f

Snipped by me:

I am positive they lurk here, and use WS as a 'dummy jury'. Thought the same with the CA case.

So Defence Team - if you are reading this - I am a typical juror, and let me tell you now, you don't stand a chance in h*ll of your client getting off with self defence. You may, if you are very lucky, get the DP dropped, but I don't think so. :jail:

And if the prosecution is reading: Kudos to Mr. Martinez, Det. Flores, and background team. :rocker:

Yes. The only time I have seen her uncool is when she was getting hammered by Juan asking if she was crying when she shot him or stabbed him or slit his throat?

And the third gas can. Up to that point she really felt she was controlling the show. Juan showing her the gas can cc statement evidence unnerved her. It was obvious and she was still lying. She did not return it and she bought 5 gallons of gas and Juan can prove it.
I think his rebuttal case is going to be closing her lies and proving her deception.

She really thought she was going to control this and convince them that she the one that was attacked.

Wow I'm gonna have to watch that footage again. About the time he asked if she was crying. The thing about being in the courtroom is she's so far away and often her face is blocked from where I'm sitting so I can't see the nuanced things we see on TV.

Also I noticed her face shift when he started pulling out the Wamu statement and receipts. It's so very subtle though. She's good....creepy, super creepy.

Snipped by me:

I am positive they lurk here, and use WS as a 'dummy jury'. Thought the same with the CA case.

So Defence Team - if you are reading this - I am a typical juror, and let me tell you now, you don't stand a chance in h*ll of your client getting off with self defence. You may, if you are very lucky, get the DP dropped, but I don't think so. :jail:

And if the prosecution is reading: Kudos to Mr. Martinez, Det. Flores, and background team. :rocker:

boom!

:confused::behindbar

her answers are soooo loooonggg and boring and repeats the same thing over and over.
I saw the people in the gallery falling asleep.:floorlaugh:

OK I know this trial isn't over but I'm thinking an appeal on grounds of legal incompetenance is going to be a strong possibility. I have watched and re-watched most of this trial and Nurmi just harps on sex like he's questioning a prostitute. Martinez repeatedly makes very stong points like her having blonde hair when she started out on the trip, the no return of the 3rd gas can, the cell phone turned off in AZ, the gun burglary, the tag upside down and then the jury can get her to say things like "I don't remember feeling fear when I was stabbing him, uh, I mean, I was in a fog" but Nurmi continues to spend most of his time asking her about anal sex and oral sex and phone sex. What the hell is going on? HOw is it relevant when and if conversations turned sexual with Mr. Brewer in 2005? I'm really beginning to think Numi is a perv. I mean every single time he gets up its questions like "How did it feel when you were having anal?, Did you enjoy that he liked giving you oral for hours? Isn't is true that it takes you two hands to really get off during phone sex". The judge should stop this nonsense. I know she's a cold bolded killer but this is the United States, at least let her try and defend herself.

Did I miss a picture? I have not seen a picture of him sitting with his face in the frame. Just his body.

And the position he is sitting in is not sexy or a great pose. It looks protective.

She says she cut it on metal. It was just a boo boo that healed rather quickly. Why file work comp? She was also vague the first time she told this story so some of us just assumed she was talking about cutting it on a piece of glass. I see no reason disbelieve her here. Besides, this whole thing with the finger is a non-issue. On the stand she admitted that this particular cut had nothing to do with the bandaged injury that Burns saw on June 5th. She said that her right hand got cut again while picking up glass at Travis's home on June 4th and it was implied that this was what Burns saw bandaged. Why Numri even showed those photos to the jury is beyond me, it did nothing to counter JM's contention that it was her left finger that got injured on June 4th.

Baffle them with bullchit comes to mind. even the threads are confused on.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I think his rebuttal case is going to be closing her lies and proving her deception.

She really thought she was going to control this and convince them that she the one that was attacked.

And please let him mention to the jury that there is absolutely NO PROOF that Travis had sex with her that day or ever wanted her in that house!

Did I miss a picture? I have not seen a picture of him sitting with his face in the frame. Just his body.

And the position he is sitting in is not sexy or a great pose. It looks protective.

ht_jodi_arias_nt_130114_wg.jpg

OK I know this trial isn't over but I'm thinking an appeal on grounds of legal incompetenance is going to be a strong possibility. I have watched and re-watched most of this trial and Nurmi just harps on sex like he's questioning a prostitute. Martinez repeatedly makes very stong points like her having blonde hair when she started out on the trip, the no return of the 3rd gas can, the cell phone turned off in AZ, the gun burglary, the tag upside down and then the jury can get her to say things like "I don't remember feeling fear when I was stabbing him, uh, I mean, I was in a fog" but Nurmi continues to spend most of his time asking her about anal sex and oral sex and phone sex. What the hell is going on? HOw is it relevant when and if conversations turned sexual with Mr. Brewer in 2005? I'm really beginning to think Numi is a perv. I mean every single time he gets up its questions like "How did it feel when you were having anal?, Did you enjoy that he liked giving you oral for hours? Isn't is true that it takes you two hands to really get off during phone sex". The judge should stop this nonsense. I know she's a cold bolded killer but this is the United States, at least let her try and defend herself.

This. I swear I wonder if Nurmi knows how futile the whole thing is and is deliberately trying to tank.

At least the jury is savvy enough to realize all the sex hooey is totally irrelevant. They are clearly trying to focus on facts, not smoke and mirrors type hokum that has nothing to do with the case.

Thank you so much, I thought it was minor! I should have known it was morman

:confused:m
This was originally posted by Mormon Attorney, who provided some excellent insights into the mind of JA. If you have a chance, go search the last thread for Mormon Atty's posts.

Honestly, I was amazed at how he knew exactly what to do with this personality. It is something I have learned as a "therapeutic parent" and was literally delighted that he understood how he needed to handle her. Here are some examples:

1. Non-sense lying is for control. JA has no respect for anyone but herself. She is smarter than anyone. To keep control, she lies even when it does not benefit her. Not only that, but it is a "test" to see if those interacting with her are smart enough to catch it. If they don't catch her, she sees them as worthless and stupid. If they do catch her and hold her accountable, they gain her respect (even though she still feels brighter). JM showed her right at the outset that he could catch her on EVERY SINGLE lie and that he could prove it. He gained her respect - that's why she looked like she enjoyed it. She finally met a worthy opponent, not just another person who feel for her stuff. Without talking bad about Nurmi, he has obviously fallen for her stuff and has not taken her to task. She does not respect him. If you notice, she tests him all the time by controlling their direct and he lets her do it. Even when he tries to give her answers, she won't always take them. Control, even when it doesn't help her. Nurmi has failed her test. Honestly, I believe she has felt "safer" with JM because he earned her respect, as opposed to Nurmi who has not earned her respect and does not have leadership with her. It literally must be scary for someone like her to be in Nurmi's hands when he has failed her tests. (And, just to clarify, as her own attorney, he did not catch the gas can stuff, he failed to see the margins of the magazines - she has gotten the best of him many times on things he could have helped her on but she didn't trust him).

2. Authority. Once JM establishes control - which is essential - he must keep it. Notice that he constantly says to her, "Mam, did I ask you if you....." when she adds to questions. He is jerking the choke chain, letting her know he is still in control and she is out of line. She bulks back at him a few times, but eventually she does submit.

3. Follow through. JM also taught her from the outset that he will never bluff. Lots of attorneys bluff or hint at evidence that may or may not come in. But, every single time she has lied and he has caught her, he has followed it through ALL THE WAY until the bitter end. In every case, she has not gotten out of it without having to face that she was caught. While this irritated some people, especially when the point was useless, it was essential with her personality that he prove his worthiness to her. One of the reasons he was able to crack her was that she now is somewhat afraid of playing the same antics (not that she won't) because she knows he will prove whatever he brings up. As a result, she is giving up much sooner than in the beginning. Notice that in the interviews with Detective Flores, even when he had actual pictures, she would say "That looks like me. How can that be?" Even photo proof didn't stop the lies. Now, JM has shown her that he will prove each and every detail and it takes the fun out of trying to lie and control him.

4. He never got flustered. As a parent, this is one thing we learn right away. To have calm control. The moment we get angry or hostile or snooty, the child has "won" in their war of control. If they can control your emotions, often that is what makes them feel powerful - it often has nothing to do with the actual outcome of events. Controlling you and your emotions is sufficient to make them feel safe and in charge (also unteachable). By remaining calm, even though animated and sometimes aggressive, he never gave her the feeling of control. Even when he had to follow endless stupid rabbit trails that outsiders thought made him look like a fool, he maintained composure and saw it to the bitter end. That is critical.

In sum, I have honestly wondered who trained him and how he had the faith to do that right. It is very hard and I am sure he had to feel stupid chasing those leads all the way to the end. But, he taught her to respect him. He taught her that he had control. And, every time she is out of line, he jerks her chain again and she often submits. I think it has been brilliant and I am just glad the jury could see it.

Just want to say - as a therapeutic parent - I often have to handle lying and violence with the same calm and be willing to calmly go through lies until we get to the truth. BUT, as parents, we are also therapeutic and giving love because our goal is to change the outcome. So, I don't want anyone to read this and think that we, as parents, need to "jerk our child's chain" as JM has done with JA. He is obviously not trying to therapeutically parent -grin! He is going for pure control and I am amazed at how well he has done it.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Once she's sentenced to death the first line of appeal will be incompetent counsel..that's a given. But it won't be successful. He's over defending her imo.

I am seriously thinking that if it is possible at this point someone should ask for a psych evaluation. I know they did it in the CA trial, but I don't know if it is possible in this trail at this point. I think even the jurors are beginning to wonder if she is not crazy. Thus the question have you sought help for your mental condition.

I don't think she is legally crazy, because she definitley knows right from wrong, but she is absolutely suffering from some mental conditions. jmo

Yes. The only time I have seen her uncool is when she was getting hammered by Juan asking if she was crying when she shot him or stabbed him or slit his throat?

And the third gas can. Up to that point she really felt she was controlling the show. Juan showing her the gas can cc statement evidence unnerved her. It was obvious and she was still lying. She did not return it and she bought 5 gallons of gas and Juan can prove it.

Her mask came off. He asked her if she'd be surprised to learn that the math of $19.65 divided by the price per gallon would equal 5.09 gallons and she stammers "uh...no?"

I think the defense team is doing exactly what they should, but they're also doing extra things to help Jodi. I have noticed that when the defense asks Jodi a question where there are two choices, he raises his tone (like a normal question) for the wrong answer, and lowers his tone for the correct answer. Jodi doesn't always pick up on it ... but he is definitely trying to tell her which answer is the right one.

Wow I'm gonna have to watch that footage again. About the time he asked if she was crying. The thing about being in the courtroom is she's so far away and often her face is blocked from where I'm sitting so I can't see the nuanced things we see on TV.

Also I noticed her face shift when he started pulling out the Wamu statement and receipts. It's so very subtle though. She's good....creepy, super creepy.

It was when he was hammering at her. And she was to me faking a lot of emotion but when he hammered at her she all of a sudden dropped the I don't recall or remember and just wept an " I don't know" and in that one moment I felt a break.
Not something that made me feel bad for her. But that Juan had penetrated her bubble of superiority. It was a slight shift.

Her face during the gas can/ wamu session was obvious on tv. You could see her trying to lie saying it surprised her that they had no record because she returned it, still defiant. And then he pulled out wamu and third transaction and you could see it. As he made her admit it. He got to her. He scared her. It really was a great moment.

Once she's sentenced to death the first line of appeal will be incompetent counsel..that's a given. But it won't be successful. He's over defending her imo.

I agree. They have fine an amazing job with a demanding controlling client.

I have a thought about the killing. Just a thought, because I do not know anything for sure. But hypothetically speaking, JA could have shot Travis first. Although it did not kill him, he would have been incapacitated and in shock....Jodi, terrified that she did not kill him and he would live to tell, then ran down the stairs and got a knife from his kitchen, and back up to Travis who is standing over the sink (blood spatters)...and stabs him in the back numerous times. Death is a process and since he is making gurgling noices she fears he is still alive. She then overkills him.

i don't think the timeline allows for her to run downstairs and back up with the knife. IMO, she had to have it right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinzstel