Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License By Louisiana Judge

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The sad part is that he really does not seem to see the error of his logic. He truly comes across as believing he is saving a mixed race child from some tragic fate. How about refusing to marry a person who has addiction in their family background, mental illness, or any other potential obstacles that are or could be genetically passed? It is hard to even find a comment worthy of this absurdity, but you have to try because this kind of thinking is just despicable and even worse, some groups will probably applaud him for sticking to his principles. May he lose this position, and may his piles and piles of black friends and white ones too for that matter, perhaps clue him in on why his actions were so offensive.

The sad part is that he really does not seem to see the error of his logic. He truly comes across as believing he is saving a mixed race child from some tragic fate. How about refusing to marry a person who has addiction in their family background, mental illness, or any other potential obstacles that are or could be genetically passed? It is hard to even find a comment worthy of this absurdity, but you have to try because this kind of thinking is just despicable and even worse, some groups will probably applaud him for sticking to his principles. May he lose this position, and may his piles and piles of black friends and white ones too for that matter, perhaps clue him in on why his actions were so offensive.

I wonder how many brother/sister marriage licenses he's signed down there? (runs away and hides) :runaway:

WOW!! you know I don't even know what to say about this. I live in a very small southern town (Rome GA) to be exact and I am in an interracial marriage, and we have been fortunate enough to not have any problems what so ever. Our communtiy has been very open and welcome us no matter what. I wish a JP would have said that to us, I would have his job. I only hope this couple is strong enough to fight for justice and I hope it does not discourage them. One last thing when people have to tell or explain why they are not racist usually they are i.e. I even let them use my toilet was so riduculous only racist people make comments like that. God bless the couple and God help that man (he will need it )

I also wander is it just black/white marriage or all mixed races, like would he have married jon and kate gosselin? (Well maybe that was not a good example LOL) I don't think it has anything to do with race but how committed you are to stay in your marriage. It's so easy now for people to just walk away from a marriage, whether your white, black, purple, or pink But of course these are just my opionions.

Well now, if you have to point out your friends and acquaintences by the color of their skin to prove how non biased you are...enough said.

WOW!! you know I don't even know what to say about this. I live in a very small southern town (Rome GA) to be exact and I am in an interracial marriage, and we have been fortunate enough to not have any problems what so ever. Our communtiy has been very open and welcome us no matter what. I wish a JP would have said that to us, I would have his job. I only hope this couple is strong enough to fight for justice and I hope it does not discourage them. One last thing when people have to tell or explain why they are not racist usually they are i.e. I even let them use my toilet was so riduculous only racist people make comments like that. God bless the couple and God help that man (he will need it )

Yup, that's the most revealing statement he made. How would that even occur to anyone as an issue? He's actually given thought to black skin touching his porcelain and decided it's okay!

Also, feeling sorry for mixed-race children is a common "I'm not a racist, but . . ." claim. Hurtful and ridiculous.

Personally, I think many mixed race children are incredibly beautiful!! So often they seem to get the "best" physical features from each parent's race.

This guy is a moron...with limited intelligence and should be tossed out of his job on his ear. If you believe in heaven and hell dude...boy will you be miserable either way! I guess there is some justice....except decent folks will have to deal with him.

He let's them use his toilet? LOL

That kind of reminds me of when I posted pictures of my kids on here and someone gave me a compliment saying, "Oh my gosh they are so clean!" :waitasec:

WTH? :furious::furious::furious:

Living in Louisiana, I questioned the title of this thread when I saw it. After reading the story in its entirety, in my opinion the title of the thread is inaccurate and inflamatory....the justice of the peace refused to marry them. The license application was obtained at the courthouse. The story details the procedure and is accurate. I'm not sure whether, under the law or the rules of the disiplinary committee, that the justice of the peace is obligated to marry them. While many of us are appalled at his reasoning and may be pondering that his reason created a violation of some sort, I have known ministers in this state who respectfully declined to marry some couples...such as too young (even though parental consent, etc) or for other issues so as I appreciate it the folks who are licensed to marry folks can decline to do so. It's the "reason" here that makes this case worth discussin. Just my two cents...reminder, I didn't say I agree with the JP....I said I disagree with the title of this thread.

Living in Louisiana, I questioned the title of this thread when I saw it. After reading the story in its entirety, in my opinion the title of the thread is inaccurate and inflamatory....the justice of the peace refused to marry them. The license application was obtained at the courthouse. The story details the procedure and is accurate. I'm not sure whether, under the law or the rules of the disiplinary committee, that the justice of the peace is obligated to marry them. While many of us are appalled at his reasoning and may be pondering that his reason created a violation of some sort, I have known ministers in this state who respectfully declined to marry some couples...such as too young (even though parental consent, etc) or for other issues so as I appreciate it the folks who are licensed to marry folks can decline to do so. It's the "reason" here that makes this case worth discussin. Just my two cents...reminder, I didn't say I agree with the JP....I said I disagree with the title of this thread.

Hey Justa - I tried to point out in an earlier post that a Justice of the Peace is not a Judge and that a Justice of the Peace may absolutely be within his rights to not marry people people for any reason he/she likes.

I marry people (not as a Justice) and sometimes I say no to the request (though, ironically, the last couple I married was a black man and white woman).

Lots of folks get Judge and Justice of the Peace a little mixed up and I am going to assume that an honest error was made in the title.

If I am not mistaken Pastors can decline to marry persons for reasons such as they are not the same denomination as the church, or they are not member, or they have not completed pre marital counseling, but even so I have never heard of a pastor refusing to marry someone because they are different races. Escpecially the Justice of the peace, they are a part of the state, which should have no discrimination what so ever. If he has a problem with it that much he is in the wrong profession. But I guess louisiana does things a little differently then the rest of the world.

Hey Justa - I tried to point out in an earlier post that a Justice of the Peace is not a Judge and that a Justice of the Peace may absolutely be within his rights to not marry people people for any reason he/she likes.

I marry people (not as a Justice) and sometimes I say no to the request (though, ironically, the last couple I married was a black man and white woman).

Lots of folks get Judge and Justice of the Peace a little mixed up and I am going to assume that an honest error was made in the title.

Hi SCM :)

I was just watching TV and they were discussing this with Solidad O'Brian (not sure if I have her name spelled correctly sorry) anyway they were calling this guy a Judge.

I'm not tracking, and a bit confused is he JP or Judge? That does make a big difference in things don't you think?

Boy, a lot of reporting lately has been sloppy hasn't it?

Oh, darlin' you are right. Louisiana prides itself on being different..especially the judicial system (Napoleonic code not British Common Law like the rest of the states) ...but racial discrimination is not one of them even though things happen like they do in every state. I really will be curious as to what the Judiciary Committee has to say and what action it can take.

Ironic, another issue regarding Justice of the Peace actions came to my attention the other day...for example one can go them and swear out a criminal complaint which then results in arrest, etc. Sometimes such complaints aren't really accurate but rather "revenge." In this case, a contractor is suing a client for non-payment. The client in turn went to a Justice of a Peace and swore out a complaint that the contractor "stole" the chimney cap from her house. The work he did was repairing her house including replacing the damaged chimney cap after Hurricane Gustav. So the contractor had to go to the pokey. I believe they did allow him to come in on his own recognizance and sent him right before the judge so he could bail out...the judge saw it for what it was and threw it out. Generally these tactics are done on a Friday afternoon so the "criminal" can set in jail all weekend.

I need to study up on this system because I think it needs a complete overhaul or is antiquated. I'm not sure all parishes (counties...I told you we like to be different) allow the arrest business but it does happen. .

Apologize for being a bit off topic but making a point for disucssion's sake.

Hi SCM :)

I'm not tracking, and a bit confused is he JP or Judge? That does make a big difference in things don't you think?

He is a Justice of the Peace not a judge.... wouldn't be called a judge in Louisiana at least. They are elected. I'm not sure what the qualifications are, need to go look up.

Edited to add: Doing some quick reading on the state supreme court site. In Louisiana, we call these folks JPs...in common conversation not judges, it does look like they can do some stuff regarding motor vehicle titles...they are the lowest on the judicial chain. Never hear anything about them too much. They do exert some "weird" influnce in the more rural parishes as outline above. . They do marry people...frequently. Technically in some states they may have more power but don't hear much about JP courts in this state though it looks possible from the website. The folks we refer as judges are city court judges (often appointed) district court judges (elected), appeals court judges (elected), supreme court judges (elected) and federal judges (appointed.) JPs are elected and must be lawyers according to the website.

Justa - I think your confusion is actually with the nomenclature of the whole Judge/JP? thing. JPs are called "Judge So&So" because only Supreme Court (both state and federal)Justices are called "Justice." This guy is definitely a JP, and as such, one of the job duties for which he receives his salary, is to marry his constituents. You can't discriminate and still suck the state's titty on their dime. Waaay back in the mid-80s, early-90s, I worked for the lady who had the contract to publish the annual "book" for the Louisiana Justice of the Peace and Constable's Association. Part of my job included traveling to parishes near and far selling ads and interviewing JPs and Constables who were featured in that issue. I interviewed office holders who ran the spectrum of successful and educated businessmen and -women to obviously uneducated country bumpkins. Biographical data submitted by some of them was nearly illiterate in some cases. There were not many qualifications for the job, constables especially.

None of the above ensures racism, of course. Not by itself, certainly. But this man spoke out after the fact with the bathroom remark (!) and other comments about not mixing the races, thereby exposing his racist views in the process. He needs to engage a good attorney and STFU before he digs himself any deeper.

Re the criminal complaint, I have had an experience with that as well. My late friend, who at the time had terminal cancer, was feuding with her younger sister who had stolen money from a benefit for my friend and gone to Europe with it. Her sister had sworn out a complaint w/ the JP from another parish against my friend and me. She said that we had come to her house and threatened her and banged on her door, when what we had done was take some of my daughter's clothes to a girl who was staying with little sis after her family's house had burnt down. We never left my truck, only beeped once and the girl came out, took the clothes, hugged us and went back in. Nonetheless, we still had to go to court, etc. I spoke with the DA and the charges were not pursued, but still. Anyone can accuse another of something and a sworn affidavit will get that person arrested and a court date. It's a very common revenge tool, and that loophole needs to close. I think this case can actually be a very good thing, because now and antiquated system that thus far has flown under the radar can be exposed and, hopefully, changed for the better.

And like district court judges in Louisiana. JPs and constables are also elected.

Just as an FYI, I cut and pasted the thread title directly from the link I posted when I started the thread.

:angel:

Hoppy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey__Powell