Interviews & MSM with/about friends, family, law enforcement etc...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Direct quotes and official statements by members of LE or the prosecutor's office regarding the search of the M property, the arrests of TM and SM, and the charges filed against them, linked to sources:

Feb 21, 2014 — Statement released by the Horry County Police Department: "The search warrant was executed in an attempt to identify potential evidence based on new information obtained through expert analysis of previously seized surveillance tapes in the area along with financial discrepancies filed with the State of South Carolina on behalf of the occupants of the residence."

Feb 21 — From a press conference by Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "I can confirm that Sidney Moorer and Tammy Moorer were the two people that were taken into custody earlier this morning. I heard somebody ask a question earlier about the status of their children. All the children are juveniles. The only comment that I will make at this time is that they are not in any type of danger... This investigation has been going on since December, and our task force has come across surveillance video throughout the area numerous times, and the expert analysis was just received by us recently that allowed us to execute the search warrant today."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "We are here because of the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Heather Elvis… The surveillance cameras that we're speaking of have nothing to do with this property. Those were previously seized surveillance cameras during the course of the investigation from December on, throughout the Socastee area."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "The only comment I will make at this time is that [the younger family members] are not in any type of danger… [The possibility of more arrests] depends on how the execution of the search warrant goes, and the ongoing investigation continues."

Feb 21 (video)— Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "What's happening now is just a preliminary step.The police won't slow down their work at all. We will continue to work with them and all of the other agencies."

Feb 21 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "In this particular case they saw fit to charge smaller charges to start with but I'll assure you a lot heavier charges are coming… Anything that we release at this point could jeopardize the case. We've got to be really tight-fisted on that stuff. Certainly not trying to deprive the public or the family or anyone else of information, but right now it could do a lot more harm than good… It may very well be that one of them may work against the other one. It could be that both of them decide to work together. There are a lot of decisions that go into it."

Feb 21 (video)— Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "We're constantly meeting and tossing out ideas. Many different agencies at work. Of course, some of them law enforcement, some of them not, but a lot of stuff is going on and it'll continue to go on, even after these charges are filed."

Feb 21 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "A lot is happening behind the scenes… This is the preliminary step. Police are not slowing down their investigation until we get to the point where we're able to go forward and prove the guilt or the innocence… [Releasing more information right now] could do more harm than good to say what is coming, why it's coming."

Feb 21 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "There's been a lot of rumors and speculation since the beginning. Law enforcement is not confirming any relationship between Heather Elvis and Mr. Moorer at this time."

Feb 21 — From a police report released by the Horry County Police Department: "Three firearms were out in the open at the time. Two long guns were leaning against the wall while a compact pistol rested on the night stand beside the bed… Overall, the home was in disarray and unsanitary."

Feb 21 — From a police report released by the Horry County Police Department: "The kitchen had some sort of meat lying atop the kitchen island that had aged for some time. Cooked potatoes were left on the counter top, which had begun to mold. Trash was left about the countertops and floors… The backyard area was covered in animal feces."

Feb 23 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "We know the public, the family, everyone wants to know what's going on. We don't want to injure the case. It would be a real travesty at this point if that occurred."

Feb 23 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "I can say that it [the investigation] is very fluid. It's moving along as we expected that it would. There were certain things that they're trying to keep quiet. The county has put in a ton of work and I don’t want to jeopardize anything they’ve done… A lot of [information] will come out in the bond hearing."

Feb 24 — Horry County Police chief Saundra Rhodes: "We were able to secure enough to get a search warrant for the property of the Moorer's. And after conducting that search warrant we were able to secure enough evidence to allow for probable cause for a kidnapping charge as well as the charge for murder."

Feb 24 — Statement released by Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "We understand and sympathize with the public's desire to know more information about this tragic case. But the fact remains that while the Moorers have been charged with Obstruction of Justice, Indecent Exposure, Kidnapping and the Murder of Heather Elvis, this investigation is ongoing. In the interest of justice for Heather, her family and friends, and the entire Horry County community, we simply cannot risk jeopardizing either the current investigation or future prosecution at this time. The 15th Circuit Solicitor's Office commends the work of the Horry County Police Department and the many different law enforcement agencies who have worked tirelessly in this case. We also appreciate the interest and cooperation of the public as we continue to work together with law enforcement. As soon as we are able to release more information without the risk of jeopardizing either the investigation or prosecution, we will do so, as we know it will help answer questions and provide some degree of closure to a grieving family and community."

Feb 24 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "We understand that people are very interested in trying to help, trying to know a little bit more. It comes down to this, you can't ruin a whole investigation over trying to fill in curiosity."

Feb 24 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "What that evidence is, the combination of evidence that's been put together over the last couple of months, we necessarily have to keep it really tight-fisted at the present time… This investigation continues to be very fluid and we continue to seek the help of anybody that will help us."

Feb 24 (video)— Horry County Police chief Saundra Rhodes: [Q: Were Tammy and Sidney Moorer ever not suspects in the disappearance of Heather Elvis?] "No. They were one of many, two of many suspects, I should say, in the disappearance of Heather Elvis and, after going through a process of elimination and obviously further investigation, we were able to come to the conclusion that Tammy and Sidney Moorer were responsible for the disappearance of Heather Elvis, and ultimately the murder of Heather Elvis."

Feb 24 — Horry County Police chief Saundra Rhodes: "Yes, [the relationship between Heather and the Moorers] was established throughout the course of the investigation as well."

Feb 24 (video)— Horry County Police chief Saundra Rhodes: "Finding Heather would make the case so much stronger, but we do believe that we have enough probable cause at this time to go forward with the murder charges."

Feb 24 (video)— Horry County Police Capt. Dale Buchanan: "It's going to take some time to go through it all, but we were able to find enough to develop enough probable cause secure these murder warrants. We have evidence that will be processed with us. SLED is assisting us with processing some of the forensic evidence." [Q: Is some of that evidence DNA?] "Yes."

Feb 24 (video)— Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: [Q: And hence the hope that we can get one perhaps to turn on the other?] "Well, we've got a good amount right now. We will certainly wait to hear from the attorneys. If they want to make a move and say, 'Look, I'd like to tell you what happened,' we'll be willing to listen to it… Everything that we've done so far, whether it be arrest warrants or search warrants, have all gone in front of a judge. The judges have already seen what we've told them about and they felt comfortable with it, too."

Feb 24 (video)— Horry County Chief of Police Saundra Rhodes: "Just that [Find Heather Elvis Facebook] page alone created so many tips coming in — which was a good thing — that it was the actual catalyst for us creating the task force, just so we would have enough people to follow up on the tips that came in."

Feb 24 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "We had a good amount of evidence and the stuff HCPD found [during the search of the Moorer property] added to that evidence… At this time, I do not see this being a death penalty case."

Feb 24 — Horry County Chief of Police Saundra Rhodes: "We have had some additional evidence that we located during the search that led us to, giving us probable cause for the murder charge… We needed to secure a good case. That’s basically what it boils down to. From the very beginning, when we sat down with the Elvis family, we really did go through the process of explaining it to them. We told them that there were going to be highs and lows and disappointments on your part in that we’re not moving as fast as you think we should, and it has come to fruition. There are times that we did not move as fast as the Elvis family would have liked us to… Throughout the process of the investigation, when the Moorers did leave the area, we were very much aware of where they were at all times, so we were coordinating with other agencies throughout the course of the investigation… We realize that this is only one step in the process. We are continuing the investigation because our ultimate goal is to locate Heather. We’ve crossed one hurdle and we still have numerous more to go. We recognize that.”

Feb 24 — Horry County Solictor Jimmy Richardson: "“The stuff that was found at the house, if we didn’t have a lot of stuff already from two months ago or six weeks ago, it wouldn’t have been that much, but it has added to things we already expected. So we were able to find some extra stuff after what we already knew to be obstruction of justice and indecent exposure. Certainly there was a lot of strategy involved. In one way, this case is similar to others in that the more you look, the more you dig, the more you usually get. We started off with a baseline and that was us being capable of saying we can prove beyond probable cause that these two did, in fact, obstruct justice and public nudity. As we added to it from the search warrant, we found we could get the kidnapping charge. We ran that by a judge and the judge said, ‘Yes.’ So then after we did that, we looked at some more stuff and then we said, ‘Alright, we think we can get the murder charge.’ We showed that to the judge and, of course, we got an arrest warrant… Keep in mind, kidnapping is simply keeping someone from being able to leave. We have this idea that you put a bag over their head and take them out of state. Anytime you’re unable to leave, it is a kidnapping. I think it would be improper to say we found her blouse or we found her toothpaste or whatever… Any time that you’re charged with the same crime, you may very well have a different interest than your partner. They may have something that they need to talk about or talk with their attorney about that is adverse to his wife and the wife may have something that she wants to talk about that is adverse to the husband. For that reason, both of them have somebody that is able to come in and represent their particular interest… We’ve got enough to charge them with murder without a body. It’s always easier if you have a body, but we’ve tried cases several times without a body. The main thing about getting a body now is more about peace for the family.”

Feb 25 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "Nothing is ruled out. Things that have been searched already have not been ruled out. There is no indication that [if] any information that comes to us that leads to an area that we've searched, that area will be searched again."

Feb 25 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "Our ultimate goal is to find Heather Elvis and we are going to work daily till that happens… Once we get information on credible information on a possible location we will go to that area whether we've been there before or whether it's a brand new area."

Feb 25 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "We will continue to reach out to outside companies, outside agencies for assistance with dogs and things of that nature, always willing to use help, resources that are not immediately available to us."

Feb 25 — Horry County Police Chief Saundra Rhodes: "We had numerous people to look at and so we had a lot more leads from the very beginning… We don't want to rush into anything. We need to make sure that we do everything the best that we can, and that's why it took two months… We needed the manpower to filter through all of the information, but we didn't want to leave any stone unturned, so when information came to us, we definitely followed up on it."

Feb 25 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "I can tell you this isn't a case where we are looking for smoking gun. It was just the combination of evidence that was already there and the new evidence just added to that. So we don't have video of them killing her or anything along those lines… I mean we've [convicted without a body] several times. You use circumstantial evidence in a lot of cases to say they are no longer here. You could also have direct evidence. In some cases you would have DNA… Usually a defense attorney will come to you and say my client has information and they want to give information on this case. We don't promise them anything because in doing so you have basically bought their testimony. What we do promise them is we will consider their help in the election of the charges we bring against them and we will make the judge aware of how much they did help."

Feb 27 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "I hope that by the bond hearing we will be able to go into other matters."

Feb 27 — Sgt. Jeff Benton of the Horry County Sheriff's Office: "We don't want people reading into [moving TM to Georgetown County] that there was a huge problem. We've done this in the past. Certainly the microscope is on this case. This is common practice when there are co-defendants in the same facility."

Feb 28 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "Today we are working with equipment at the boat landing to determine possible tidal flows and patterns that may assist in recovery of evidence. We do have divers present to perform grid searches and evidence recovery as appropriate."

Mar 1 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "[The Horry County Police Department's Facebook page is] a very valuable tool for us. Let’s say we have a bank robbery in the south precinct and the officer calls and gives me a description and in a matter of minutes it’s out there to the public. And if someone saw something or recognizes the person they can comment. We do utilize it as an investigative tool as well… Because of the ability to share it all over the world, [Heather's case] received national attention pretty quick. It received a lot of attention much more quickly than cases did in the past… When I first shared her picture it went out to 836 people and now it’s reached more than 32,000 people and who knows how many people they’ve shared it with… The theories being passed around can be a hindrance. But we’re defeating ourselves by not reaching the maximum number of people possible.”

Mar 7 (video)— Former Horry County Solicitor Greg Hembree: "So the things that [missing persons who are presumed dead] normally do, the people they normally see, the places they normally go, leading up to that moment when they disappear, they just dropped off the planet, and then through circumstantial evidence you show that their pattern's been upset… I mean, on the one side, you want to find the body, you want to achieve those objectives, but your primary objective is seeking justice and whatever that means in that case, that's going to be the fundamental guiding principle… They're going to tell somebody, 'Feed my dog, I'm leaving, I've decided I'm going to Idaho to live in the mountains.' Somebody's going to know something, even if they don't know how to get ahold of them."

Mar 9 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "There is also no prohibition against [spouses testifying against each other]. If me and my wife are married, you can’t make her testify against me. However, it’s her right to assert or his right to assert if they want to. They can’t be made to.”

Direct quotes and official statements by members of LE or the prosecutor's office leading up to and following the bond hearing and the gag order, linked to sources:

Mar 12, 2014 — From the request for a gag order filed by the Horry County Solicitor's Office: "The State recognizes that this case has received and is expected to continue to receive local and possible national media interest. The State submits that extrajudicial statements to the media, by either party could jeopardize the fair administration of justice in this case.”

Mar 16 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "One way that you can stop [a change of venue] from happening is to have everybody stop trying the case in the media."

Mar 17 — Senior Horry County Prosecutor Donna Elder: "Sidney and Heather did care about each other. Then Tammy found out about it… This information [that Heather was at home after her date] is based on GPS from her phone… We know [Heather drove to Peachtree Landing] because of the GPS coordinates from her phone… We ran all registered vehicles fitting the description the MAIT team gave us [from security videos on Mill Pond Road] and there were 82 that matched… [The Moorer children] have been extremely coached and even then their stories conflict… When police on patrol checked the landing, they found Heather’s car locked. There was no crime scene there and no personal belongings. Police didn’t think anything was wrong until Heather was reported missing… We have had divers all around the area and even worked with Coastal Carolina University to get an ultrasound of the river all the way down to Winyah Bay.”

Mar 17 — Senior Horry County Prosecutor Donna Elder: "Heather was in fact fearful of Tammy during this time period.”

Mar 17 (video) — Horry County Police Chief Saundra Rhodes: "The manner in which this crime was committed is one of the more heinous crimes that I have been involved with since being with the Horry County Police Department."

Mar 17 — Horry County Police Chief Saundra Rhodes: "“It is my belief that both Tammy and Sidney Moorer are a danger to the community… [Their release could] entice a large amount of ill will in the community.”

Mar 17 — Circuit Court Judge Steven John: "A person is entitled to a bond unless certain conditions that the court finds that release would constitute unreasonable danger to the community or risk of flight. Due to the seriousness of the charges… the nature of the case, the potential penalty these defendants face… the court at this time has serious questions as to the likelihood if the defendants will appear in court when called.”

Mar 17 — Circuit Court Judge Steven John: "I am extremely concerned with the possible potential of violence, whether it is caused by the defendants or with them. The decision at this point in time is to deny both defendants bond."

Mar 17 (video) — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "We've said all along flight risk and danger to the community, and that was basically what the judge found with us on."

Mar 17 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "Generally, even if it hurts us, we try to turn it over. But, there are certain exceptions to FOIA and we believe this falls under those exceptions. There are still mounds and mounds of evidence. This is truly an ongoing investigation. We are certainly not trying to deny the public the right to see anything they are entitled to… I can promise you, whenever this case comes to trial, that whoever is left in the trial will scream to the top of their lungs to move this case from Horry County saying there’s been too much publicity. The gag order is there to protect the judicial system… This is Horry County’s case. We don’t want a change of venue. We don’t want to take it to Bennettsville or Lexington.”

Mar 17 (video) — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "I think Chief Rhodes said today that they have spent hundreds of hours [investigating the case] already. They can expect to spend probably ten times that amount in carrying on. This case is still very much alive and we're moving forward."

Mar 17 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "[The original police report] was just a really preliminary report that was sent out. We believe that by 6 a.m., Heather Elvis was already in harm’s way… If we had a body, maybe we could determine the matter of death. We don’t know the manner of death and we may never know the manner of death.”

Mar 17 — Horry County Police Chief Saundra Rhodes: "Most of the [harassment] calls were threats made to [the Moorers] on social media. We have spent hundreds of hours on this case and immeasurable resources investigating it… When we responded to their home, we were often met by an armed Sidney Moorer and if released, in my opinion, we will have more violent confrontations."

Mar 17 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "Just because you can't find the body, doesn't mean that the person hasn't been murdered, and if the persons or people are good at hiding the body, that pretty much gives them a free pass. [Suspects may believe that] 'We get the body hid well enough, you can't charge me with murder'… We've tried a bunch of missing person cases throughout South Carolina. It's got its own technique; we'll try this case the same way."

Mar 17 — Former Horry County Solicitor Greg Hembree: "You’ve got to prove that someone has been killed. That’s an essential element of murder. When you don’t have a body, the way you do that, is you prove their pattern of life leading up to their disappearance. You prove that their pattern of life has been ended. It’s circumstantial evidence of a murder and it’s strong circumstantial evidence.”

Mar 18 — Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler: "The information [Senior Prosecutor Donna Elder] gave is the information that I can give out. The original police report is just that. That’s what was known at the time. Other things have come out since then, which was said yesterday in court.”

Mar 19 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "I think at this point we’re way too early to start worrying about death penalty. Certainly we would want to have more evidence. We would want to have the body… We certainly don’t take anything like death penalty lightly. Just to throw that out to gain some sort of advantage, we’re not going to do that… We’ll certainly put this together as quickly as possible. We’ll move very expediently and try to get the case up and ready for trial.”

Mar 21 — Horry County Solicitor Jimmy Richardson: "Whenever this case is called for trial, as in any high profile case, the first thing that the defense does is start to ask for a change of venue. We’re trying to keep from being tried in the media. For that reason we’re opposing a change of venue. We don’t want a venue change from Horry County to some other county.”

Mar 21 — Gag Order signed by Circuit Court Judge Steven John: "The State recognizes that this case has received and is expected to continue to receive local and possible national media interest. The State submits that extrajudicial statements to the media, by either party could jeopardize the fair administration of justice in this case.”

I agree that people should accept and respect a verdict.

How well did the public take the NG verdict of Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman. Jodi Arias was found guilty and given a life sentence. The public didn't take it well because the Jury didn't give her death. If I recall correctly, one or more of the Jurors received threats.

Uh.....respectfully, Jodie Arias was indeed found guilty, but has not yet been sentenced at all....just sayin'. <Mod Snip>.

Granny ----

:goodpost::yourock::gthanks:

That was a lot of work. Well done!

OKGranny, you are AMAZING!! :rockon:

Can we put this in the media thread or even make a new section for LE Quotes?

Okay, well, now that the Iron Curtain has descended and we're cut off from any further officially verified info about the case for the time being, maybe this is a good time to look back on what has been officially stated? Because, IMO, statements made by the officials involved in the case are the most reliable information we have to work with.

I'm afraid I don't have as much confidence in MSM reporting. When a reporter paraphrases a source's words rather than using direct quotes, writing "according to" or "so-and-so said that...," what we're reading is that reporter's own interpretation of whatever was actually said. Information can and does get garbled, misinterpreted, or simply left out. I've found many instances where statements made by officials in video interviews never made it into the written versions of those interviews.

For an example of MSM misreporting, HCPD Capt. Dale Buchanan appeared to ask and answer his own question in the print version of an interview, "Is some of that evidence DNA? Yes." However, in watching the accompanying video, it's clear that it was the reporter who asked the DNA question and Capt. Buchanan simply responded, "Yes."

Anyway, it seems like it might be helpful to have as many direct quotes as possible collected in one place to use for reference purposes, so I went back through many dozens of news articles and video reports about the case and pulled together all the direct quotes and official statements by members of LE or the prosecutor's office that I could find. Probably missed a few, but I did my best to be thorough. Am posting them now in chronological order in three sections: the period following Heather's disappearance, the period following the search and arrests, and the bond hearing.
Thank you so much for going to all that trouble! You're awfully handy to have around. :loveyou:

They weren't the ones who put themselves in the spotlight. No one knew who they were until Tammy's post ended on on the main FB page. All of her posts were on her personal FB page. Neither Tammy or Sidney have spoken to the media, except the one interview Tammy did with an online blogger.

Tammi, herself, posted on the Find Heather facebook. If she didn't want to be in the spotlight, she wouldn't have engaged.

This is my opinion only, as a member and not as a moderator.

Salem

I think they put themselves in the spotlight when they kidnapped and murdered Heather.

Okiegranny - you are truly awesome.

WOW... thank you so much Okiegranny.... I learned so much more from reading those quotes... appreciate you laying it out like that for us !! :tyou:

The WMBF News anchor charged with trespassing on the Caison property has asked for a bench trial, scheduled for May 14:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_0b520f58-ca5e-11e3-9718-0017a43b2370.html

According to the report, the victim says Maely "attempted to force the door open" of their home off Highway 814 and that he was told nine times to leave.

Maely told police in the report he never came within eight feet of the front door. He also said, according to the report, that he has video of the incident and will provide it...

Ashley Caison said the information about Maely being at the door “has been retracted,” but he is still facing trespassing charges.

So the allegation that Maely tried to force the door open was a lie? Huh, imagine that.

The WMBF News anchor charged with trespassing on the Caison property has asked for a bench trial, scheduled for May 14:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_0b520f58-ca5e-11e3-9718-0017a43b2370.html

So the allegation that Maely tried to force the door open was a lie? Huh, imagine that.

Thanks for posting that. I'd just come here to do the same thing. So makes you wonder about all those other 'harrassment' calls they made. How many were factual and how many were a bunch of BS to make them look like victims?

This part is great:

Polly Caison said other reporters have been on her property although there are &#8220;at least 10&#8221; no trespassing signs. However, the other reporters left the property when asked to do so, she said.

She described her husband as a &#8220;religious man&#8221; who would have dropped the charges if Maely had &#8220;told the truth and apologized.&#8221;

:lol: I think the truth and the Caisons are strangers.

Wasn't this visit by Maely caught on their own video camera? That will tell the tale if it was. Won't surprise me if the entire suit is thrown out of court.

Thanks for posting that. I'd just come here to do the same thing. So makes you wonder about all those other 'harrassment' calls they made. How many were factual and how many were a bunch of BS to make them look like victims?

I think there was allot made up by the Caisons/Moorers. They were possibly trying to build a case to sue somebody.

The trespass laws for SC are here:
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c011.php

Maely might be guilty of SECTION 16-11-600. Entry on another's pasture or other lands after notice; posting notice, if the grounds are properly posted at the entry. But if they are trying to go for SECTION 16-11-620. Entering premises after warning or refusing to leave on request, Maely can probably prove good cause for being on the property. As WMBF news states " "He was giving those involved the opportunity to share their side of the story."

The trespass laws for SC are here:
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c011.php

Maely might be guilty of SECTION 16-11-600. Entry on another's pasture or other lands after notice; posting notice, if the grounds are properly posted at the entry. But if they are trying to go for SECTION 16-11-620. Entering premises after warning or refusing to leave on request, Maely can probably prove good cause for being on the property. As WMBF news states " "He was giving those involved the opportunity to share their side of the story."

In my town, if you have no trespassing signs posted as stated above, & if you give 3 verbal warnings and they don't leave, you call 911 and report it & they can be charged for it. That makes it legal. At least that was what I got out of what I read for my city. I've only seen part of the video though & haven't read up on it all.

Thanks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleepingpillsstore
Back