GUILTY Ireland - Ashling Murphy, 23, school teacher, beaten to death, Tullamore, County Offaly, 12 Jan 2022 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

"Woman tells murder trial man on bike followed her on day Ashling Murphy's body found.

A woman has described being followed by a man on a bicycle in Tullamore, Co Offaly, as she was out on a walk on 12 January 2022, less than two hours before the body of school teacher Ashling Murphy was discovered in a ditch beside the Grand Canal.

Ann Marie Kelly was giving evidence at the trial of 33-year-old Jozef Puska, who has denied the murder of Ms Murphy on 12 January last year."

Just caught up on todays trial

Firstly, huge respect to Ann Marie Kelly for standing up and giving evidence - that can’t have been easy for her as she’s probably thinking that Ashling could have very easily been her.

I wonder what it was what stopped him from attacking her? Possibly that she had a dog with her? Or more likely because he knew she was aware of his presence and he wanted to launch a surprise attack in order to minimise the risk of fighting back?

Just caught up on todays trial

Firstly, huge respect to Ann Marie Kelly for standing up and giving evidence - that can’t have been easy for her as she’s probably thinking that Ashling could have very easily been her.

I wonder what it was what stopped him from attacking her? Possibly that she had a dog with her? Or more likely because he knew she was aware of his presence and he wanted to launch a surprise attack in order to minimise the risk of fighting back?
I think she encountered a man with a white van.
That guy probably saved her life without knowing it.
Maybe the dog also put him off. Depends on the breed of dog I guess which isn't mentioned, but a dog will defend their own without even being trained to do so.

She says she briefly chatted to a young woman with blond hair and a peachy coloured hat.
Is the assumption that was Ashling Murphy?

"Erratic fluctuation of Fitbit data minutes before Ashling Murphy’s death."

"Bus driver tells court he drove accused home on day Ashling Murphy was killed.

He told the court Puska arrived at his home at around 9pm on January 12th last year asking to be driven home, after saying he had been in 'some fight' in town.
Mr Pokuta said Puska looked very scared, 'wet', and that 'his face was scratched or something'.

He told the court Puska did not look like himself and appeared really scared.

The witness agreed that his face almost looked a different colour."

1698168126482.png

Last edited:

"Garda gives evidence of alleged murder admission by man accused of murder of Ashling Murphy.

Detective Sergeant Brian Jennings said that Mr Puska 'reiterated' how sorry he was and said that he 'didn't do it intentionally'.

Det Gda Fergus Hogan also told the trial that he heard Mr Puska say in broken English,
'I tell her go, I won't hurt you. When she pass I cut her neck. She panic, I panic and then it happened. Will I go for ten years?'.

Gda Hogan also recalled that the accused pointed at his own stomach and said,
'I do this'.

The trial has previously heard that Mr Puska told gardai that injuries to his stomach were inflicted when he was attacked by two strangers in Blanchardstown on January 12, the same day that Ms Murphy died."

1698260045686.png

"Detective who led Ashling Murphy investigation tells court of fruitless search for suspect's top, shoes and 'Hilfiger' trousers... as he reveals they were NEVER found.

Prosecuting barrister Anne Marie Lawlor asked:
'We have seen on CCTV the movements of Mr
Puska and his clothing… was any of the clothing or footwear found by members of An Garda Síochána in the course of any searches?'

'None of that was found,' he replied.

Det. Supt O'Callaghan also stated that Detective Garda Fergus Hogan, who noted that Mr Puska had told him in hospital that he had cut Ms Murphy's neck, had not been aware of how the 23-year-old had met her death.

'The decision at the time by the investigation team was not to release that information,' he said.

Detective Sergeant David Scahill said he had carried out the arrest of Mr Puska at the hospital at 11.30am on January 18, and that he was brought to Tullamore Garda Station.

The court heard that Mr Puska had access to a solicitor from the time of his admissions in hospital on January 14, and that he continued to have advice available from a solicitor while he was questioned at Tullamore.

Det. Sgt Scahill said the Director of Public Prosecutions directed that Mr Puska should be charged with the murder of Ashling Murphy, and that he had formally charged him at 7.32pm the following evening."

"Ashling Murphy Murder Trial:

DNA profile under fingernails matched samples of Jozef Puska.

Dr Lorna Flanagan from Forensic Science Ireland gave evidence to the jury about the DNA sample found under Ashling Murphy's fingernails.

She said the samples came from both Ms Murphy’s right and left hands.

Dr Flanagan said she had a DNA profile from Jozef Puska in the form of a blood sample he gave at St James's Hospital and a reference swab taken from Mr Puska at Tullamore Garda station.

She said the DNA profile from Ashling Murphy’s nails matched that of the two samples she had from Jozef Puska."

1698521516796.png

"Ashling Murphy Murder Trial:

DNA profile under fingernails matched samples of Jozef Puska.

Dr Lorna Flanagan from Forensic Science Ireland gave evidence to the jury about the DNA sample found under Ashling Murphy's fingernails.

She said the samples came from both Ms Murphy’s right and left hands.

Dr Flanagan said she had a DNA profile from Jozef Puska in the form of a blood sample he gave at St James's Hospital and a reference swab taken from Mr Puska at Tullamore Garda station.

She said the DNA profile from Ashling Murphy’s nails matched that of the two samples she had from Jozef Puska."

View attachment 456550

Thank you Dotta for your posts on this case - I do try to follow from RTE also.

The DNA under fingernails on both hands am I right in thinking this suggests Ashling put up a fight for as long as she could? I’m so incredibly proud of this beautiful & talented women.

Thank you Dotta for your posts on this case - I do try to follow from RTE also.

The DNA under fingernails on both hands am I right in thinking this suggests Ashling put up a fight for as long as she could? I’m so incredibly proud of this beautiful & talented women.
She was!
Young, beautiful and talented.
And so brave!

And a teacher, like me (from far away country).
I'm not Irish but I always root for teachers all over the word!
I have been following this terrible case from the very beginning.

RIP sweet Ashling :(
Justice is finally coming!

She was!
Young, beautiful and talented.
And so brave!

And a teacher, like me (from far away country).
I'm not Irish but I always root for teachers all over the word!
I have been following this terrible case from the very beginning.

RIP sweet Ashling :(
Justice is finally coming!
I really hope justice is coming!

It’s so fitting that another primary school teacher Ann Marie Kelly gave such compelling evidence against the accused murder - IMO Ashling’s family would’ve been so proud of Ann Marie

"Expert says no evidence drugs played role in admission of Ashling Murphy killing."

1698781419337.png

"Jozef Puska
takes witness stand
in his trial for murder of Ashling Murphy"

1698946079920.png

More detailed info:

"Puska denies following a woman on day of Ashling Murphy's death"

Last edited:
wonder why they haven't detailed a motive yet? I'm guessing the rumour that she reported him for child neglect is rubbish then...

"Today, the Ashling Murphy murder trial entered its thirteenth day at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin.

1699040106034.png

Jozef Puska told the court that he was stabbed by a man who then went on to attack Ashling Murphy.

Today, Mr Puska returned to the witness box and was asked further questions about the day that Ms Murphy died.

He claims he was attacked along the Grand Canal in Tullamore by a man wearing a surgical mask and that a woman came along and that she too was attacked by this man and he was actually trying to help her that afternoon.

He said he
'had no idea why he was attacked',
that he didn’t know the man, that he just pulled a knife on him as he cycled along the canal.

Mr Puska told the court that the man threatened to kill him and that he stabbed him a number of times in the stomach.

It was at this point, Mr Puska claimed, that a woman, Ms Murphy, appeared.

He said he didn’t know her but that she said something to the man with the knife and he claimed they then disappeared into the bushes, he said that he heard some shouting, so he went over to see what was going on.

When he did, he claimed he saw the man attacking her in the bushes.

He told the jury that he shouted at the man and that when he did, the man came towards him, so he said that he backed off.

He said the man then ran off up the canal.

Mr Puska claimed he then went over to Ms Murphy and tried to help her but left because he was scared the man would come back.

Mr Puska said he made his way to a friend’s house, who then took him home and then he went to his parents’ home in Dublin.

The next morning he woke up in severe pain and was taken to hospital.

He said that he couldn’t recall whether or not he spoke with some male detectives.

He refused to accept that he killed Ashling Murphy and insisted that he didn’t harm her that day.”

1699040643843.png

"Medical assessment​

Today, the defence called its final witness, UK-based Dr Johann Grundlingh, who questioned the validity of Mr Puska telling Gardaí he killed Ms Murphy while he was in hospital."

1699298566928.png

"Jozef Puska's evidence branded 'lies' by Ashling Murphy trial prosecution team."

1699378187137.png

Jozef Puska spun a "structure of lies and mistruths" which were "foul and contemptible in their nature" when he told his trial that he tried to save Ashling Murphy, a barrister has told the Central Criminal Court.

In delivering her closing speech to the jury, Anne-Marie Lawlor SC for the Director of Public Prosecutions described Mr Puska as an "inveterate liar" and said that she was reluctant to "give credence to a ludicrous fabricated story" that she said had been told by the accused.

She said that following Mr Puska's evidence it
"feels like we are through the looking glass in terms of foolishness"
but, she said, foolishness suggests something benign
"and there is nothing benign about these lies. These are contemptible lies to suggest he was trying to save Ashling Murphy when that is patently not what was happening".

She pointed to evidence that Mr Puska's DNA was found under Ms Murphy's fingernails and reminded the jury that
"Jozef Puska admitted that he killed Ashling Murphy"
before he "pivoted" from that admission in his testimony before the court.

Ms Lawlor said the accused had
"spun you an absolute, unequivocal structure of lies and mistruths, some of which I say are absolutely foul and contemptible in their nature and he has done all that in the hope and belief, and I hope forlorn, foolish belief, that he will succeed. The only rational conclusion is that he murdered Ashling Murphy and there is no reasonable or rational doubt in that regard".

Ms Lawlor spent about 40 minutes addressing the jury before Michael Bowman SC, for Mr Puska, began his address.

More in the link

The prosecution and defence have concluded their closing statements in the trial of Jozef Puska, accused of murdering Ashling Murphy.

Jury begin deliberations.

"Mr Justice Tony Hunt continued his charge to the jury this afternoon.

Yesterday, he told the nine men and three women about the legal principles that apply and today he is taking them through the evidence they have heard.

Mr Justice Hunt said a logical way for them to approach the case is to consider the facts first and then apply the law.

The judge has taken the jury through evidence of an alleged confession by Mr Puska to Ashling’s murder, DNA found under Ms Murphy’s fingernails, evidence from his interviews with gardai after he was arrested and eye-witness evidence at the scene.

Mr Justice Hunt said issues had been raised by the defence relating to the reliability of an alleged confession made by Mr Puska on January 14, two days after Ms Murphy’s death when Mr Puska was in St James’s Hospital in Dublin.

The jury has heard that when asked about Ms Murphy’s death, Mr Puska said,
'I did it, I murdered, I am the murderer.'

The judge said it does not seem that any issue has been taken with the words spoken and recorded by gardaí but an issue has been raised about whether those words were true, accurate and reliable.

The judge reminded the jury of the evidence of an expert called by the defence who raised concerns that Mr Puska may have been confused or suffering from
'subtle delirium'
due to the combined effects of surgery, pain relief medication, the unfamiliar environment of the hospital, and the language barrier."

1699486685390.png

Last edited:
Yes!!!!

" 'We have evil in this room':​

Jozef Puska found guilty of murdering Ashling Murphy.​

1699542638661.png

Jozef Puska has been found guilty of the murder of 23-year-old school teacher Ashling Murphy on day 18 of his trial at the Central Criminal Court.

At 2pm on Thursday afternoon, the jury minder returned to court 13 in the Criminal Courts of Justice building on Parkgate St in Dublin to tell the court registrar that the jury had reached a verdict.

Ms Murphy's family, who have attended every day of the trial, were summoned, along with barristers, media and Puska himself, who had been waiting in the cell area.

Once Mr Justice Tony Hunt had taken his seat, the jury of nine men and three women filed into the court with the foreman.

Taking the paper from the foreman, the registrar said:,
'You say that the accused Jozef Puska is guilty of murder on count number one.

Is that a verdict of you all?'

'Yes', the foreman replied.

The jury took about two hours to return their unanimous verdict,
which will see Puska sentenced to life imprisonment at a later hearing.

Sigh of relief

Puska, wearing a grey jacket and white shirt with his long hair slicked back, put his head down when the verdict was delivered. There was an audible sigh of relief from Ms Murphy's family and their supporters.

Mr Justice Hunt told the jury that he agrees with their verdict and is
'glad you didn't waste any more of your valuable time with Puska's nonsense'.

The judge told the jury:

'We have evil in this room',
adding:
'There will be a day of reckoning for Puska'.

The jury were applauded as they exited the chamber as Ms Murphy’s mother held up a framed photograph of her daughter."

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GG_23