Ireland Ireland - Sophie Toscan du Plantier, 39, murdered, County Cork, 23 Dec 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Netflix’s three-part documentary on Sophie Toscan Du Plantier, the French film and TV producer who was killed while at her isolated holiday cottage in West Cork, Ireland, in 1996, is to premiere on June 30.

Sophie: A Murder In West Cork is produced by Lightbox and will bring together contributions from her family, including her son Pierre-Louis Baudey, with that of Ian Bailey, the man at the center of the investigation.

Netflix Sets June Premiere Date Sophie Toscan Du Plantier Doc – Deadline

Chernobyl producer Sister has confirmed that it will adapt Audible Original podcast West Cork, which tells the story of the 1996 murder of French TV and film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

Deadline first revealed that Sister had optioned the podcast back in December. It is one of a number of TV projects in development on the murder, with Lightbox creating a three-part documentary for Netflix and Sky planning a five-part series from Oscar-nominee Jim Sheridan.

Created by Sam Bungey and Jennifer Forde, West Cork will be executive produced by Sister’s chief creative executive Kate Fenske and joint creative director Naomi de Pear. Director of development Alice Tyler is developing for Sister alongside Sam Bungey and Jennifer Forde, the journalists behind the podcast, and Audible.

Sister Adapts Audible’s Sophie Toscan Du Plantier Podcast ‘West Cork’ – Deadline

Ian Bailey once discussed pleading guilty to killing Sophie Toscan du Plantier in “a crime of passion”, according to a new book. Murder at Roaringwater, by journalist Nick Foster, claims Bailey made the suggestion to a cameraman working for Jim Sheridan’s forthcoming Sky documentary. Sheridan’s team filmed Bailey in Cork during his 2019 trial in absentia in France for the murder of the film producer.

Ian Bailey ‘floated idea of pleading guilty’ in Sophie Toscan du Plantier trial | Ireland | The Sunday Times

Netflix has released the trailer for its three-part documentary on Sophie Toscan Du Plantier, the French film and TV producer who was killed while at her isolated holiday cottage in West Cork, Ireland, in 1996.

Premiering on June 30, Sophie: A Murder In West Cork is produced by Lightbox and will bring together contributions from her family, including her son Pierre-Louis Baudey, with that of Ian Bailey, the man at the center of the investigation.

Sophie: A Murder In West Cork Trailer: Netflix Teases Lightbox Series – Deadline

In West Cork, they simply refer to it as “the murder”. The area in Ireland’s far south-west is so remote and the community so tight, that no further qualifier is needed to explain.

It’s not just the worst thing that has ever happened there, it remains one of the highest profile and longest running unsolved cases in Irish history.

98de12966ec74b3d5cf2aad46ba5dd31d9d9dd37

West Cork podcasters Sam Bungey and Jennifer Forde.Credit:Ben Russell

On December 23, 1996, the dead body of 39-year-old French TV producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier was found near her holiday home. She was wearing a nightdress and boots, and was brutally bashed and tangled in briars and barbed wire.

Suspicion soon fell on English journalist Ian Bailey, who lived nearby. He had a reputation as a big drinker, a narcissist, an attention-seeker and a bad poet. He was also known for physically abusing his partner, painter Jules Thomas. But was he the killer?

Review of West Cork murder podcast

On the morning of 23 December 1996, Sophie Toscan du Plantier was found murdered in a lane near Schull, West Cork. She was 39 years old and a regular visitor to Ireland from Paris, where she lived with her husband, a celebrated film-maker, and 13-year-old son, Pierre Louis Baudey-Vignaud. Her death transfixed the media in both Ireland and Paris, partly because it was just so jarring. The murder rate in Ireland was so low that there was only one state pathologist, and it took him 28 hours to reach the scene.

It was close to Christmas. Sarah Lambert, the producer of Netflix’s new documentary, Sophie: A Murder in West Cork, struggles to underline how big a deal this was. “More so in Ireland than a lot of other countries, Christmas is such a family time. I know a lot of married couples that will separate and go back to their parents. People were flabbergasted that she, a mother, would be there by herself so late in December.” The location was so remote, the community so tight-knit, that such violence seemed incongruous. It was expected there would be a swift resolution. In a place where you couldn’t buy a new cardigan without everyone knowing about it, how would anyone get away with murder?

In fact, the case has never been solved. Some of this was due to procedure, as described by one Garda forensic, Eugene Gilligan. These were the worst possible crime-scene circumstances: outdoors, in the middle of the road, when it takes 12 hours to get there and there is a community culture of staying quiet. So the mystery has clung on for 25 years. But entombed under the speculations, a deeper question has gone undisturbed: who was Sophie Toscan du Plantier before she was a victim? Who was she when she was a human being?

“People were fascinated,” remembers Lambert, who grew up in Ireland and was a child when the murder happened. “Partly because Sophie was really beautiful. But beautiful women in stories always have to be very simple.” Toscan du Plantier was a complicated person – gothic in her sensibilities, dark and witty in her interests, as described by her cousin Frédéric Gazeau, an associate producer on the documentary. She was a film-maker herself and was talking to friends before she was killed about starting a project on bodily fluids: breast milk, semen, blood. Gazeau, when he became involved in the film, had “only three requests. My wish was to give to Sophie a real place in the story, to have a balanced treatment between the main suspect and the victim. The second request was not to show the body of Sophie. I didn’t want to be involved in a voyeuristic project. The third was to treat the story with dignity and humanity – to talk about emotions rather than evidence.”

‘Just don’t show her body!’ Netflix makes a true crime show with a difference

The brutal murder of a French film producer more than two decades ago has scarred the tiny town of Schull on the southwest coast of Ireland.

Locals there are still reluctant to talk publicly about the killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, according to Oscar-nominated filmmaker Jim Sheridan, who has spent several years investigating the case.

"That's what got me interested - the fact that nobody would talk about it," the veteran director told Sky News.

"It was the only thing people would talk about - but not on the record.

"It was a scar on Schull and West Cork."

Sophie Toscan du Plantier: Why murder of film producer in Irish town is shrouded in mystery - and locals 'won't talk about it'

The man who was convicted in absentia for the murder of a French filmmaker in Ireland in 1996 has said a new documentary about the crime is 'poisonous propaganda.'

French documentary-maker Sophie Toscan du Plantier, 39, was beaten to death two days before Christmas in 1996, with her body found outside her remote cottage near the village of Schull in West Cork.

A new Netflix documentary Sophie: A Murder in West Cork about the crime has been slammed by Bailey, who told the Irish Times: 'It is a piece of biased, inimical, poisonous propaganda. It is based entirely on a false narrative, the same false narrative which was used to convict me in my absence in France, linking me to a crime that I had nothing to do with and it will most assuredly demonise me.'

The film's director John Dower denied Bailey's claims, explaining the film had been made with the help of Sophie's family, but that they had no saying over what was included.

He said: 'We are making this film with the family, we are not making it for the family, they have no editorial control over it but we were making it with their point of view in mind and that becomes clear, particularly in the final episode.'

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork documentary slammed by UK man French court found guilty in absentia | Daily Mail Online

The murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier and the conviction of Ian Bailey

1991 - Bailey moves to Ireland in 1991

1992 - Bailey moves in with his partner Jules Thomas in Schull

1993 - Sophie buys the holiday cottage as a retreat

December 20th 1996 - Sophie arrives in Ireland alone and plans to travel to Paris for Christmas

December 23rd 1996 - Sophie was beaten to death

Witness Marie Farrell claims she saw Bailey at Kealfadda Bridge at 3am

December 24th - 10am - Her body is found outside her remote cottage near the village of Schull in West Cork

December 27th - Bailey seen with scratches to face and hands

February 1997 - Malachi Reed says Bailey confessed to murder

Bailey is arrested and questioned. Released

Sunday Tribune News Editor, Helen Callanan says Bailey confesses the murder to her and says it was to 'resurrect his career'

January 1998 - Bailey is arrested and questioned. Released because police could find no forensic evidence linking him to crime

New Year's Eve 1998: Ritchie Shelly claims Bailey confessed to the murder

2001: Bailey was convicted of assault in Skiberreen District Court

2003 - Bailey loses a libel case against six newspapers

2007 - Sophie's family establish the Association for the Truth on the Murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier nee Bouniol

2008 - Frustrated by the lack of progress in Ireland, the French authorities start their own investigation - even exhuming Ms Toscan du Plantier's body in the hope of finding further forensic evidence.

2010 - a European Arrest Warrant was issued by a French magistrate which led to the High Court in Ireland granting an extradition order. Bailey appealed at the Supreme Court.

March 2012 - The appeal was granted by the Irish Supreme Court. All five judges upheld the appeal on the ground that the French authorities had no intention to try him at this stage; four of the judges also upheld the argument that the European Arrest Warrant prohibited surrendering Mr Bailey to France because the alleged offence occurred outside French territory and there was an absence of reciprocity.

2015 - Bailey loses a wrongful arrest case against the Gardaí, minister for Justice, and Attorney General

2017 - Bailey is arrested in Ireland on foot of a European Arrest Warrant issued by the French authorities. The warrant sought to extradite Bailey to France to stand trial. Bailey avoided extradition.

2018 - French court ruled there was 'sufficient grounds' for Bailey to face trial in absentia.

May 2019 - Bailey was convicted of murder by the Cour d'Assises de Paris and sentenced to 25 years in prison.

He was tried in absentia in France after winning a legal battle against extradition.

2020 - Ireland's High Court ruled that Bailey could not be extradited

30th June 2021 - Sophie: A Murder in West Cork is set to be released

FOR a quarter of a century Jules Thomas stood by her charismatic lover, refusing to believe that he was to blame for the murder of a young mum.

But now the 70-year-old artist has dumped Ian Bailey, saying she can no longer take the stress of him being prime suspect in the slaying of film producer Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

She says: “I’ve had enough . . . that’s all. After 25 years I am sick and tired of banging on with this. It’s been just awful.”

And, with Bailey gone, Jules is looking forward to welcoming her three daughters and grandchildren to her home she shared with him for nearly 30 years.

She explains: “They refused to visit because they didn’t want to meet him. My daughters were absolutely thrilled when I finished with Ian.”

Shock twist in 25yr riddle over murdered French film exec as lover dumps suspect

I’ve followed this case since it happened and have always been fascinated. Currently watching the Sky documentary which is fairly good. I’ve always wondered why she ran towards the road though if she was running away from someone, surely it would have been quicker to run up to one of the neighbours rather than an iscolated road. The fact that she had her boots on and laced up makes me wonder if she got up out of bed having heard noises outside and went to see what was up. The lack of dna found has always perplexed me, the killer must have gotten very lucky that night not to have left much evidence.

Last edited:
  • Ian Bailey was prime suspect in the murder of Sophie Toscan Du Plantier in 1996
  • Journalist reported on the death and was found guilty in French court in 2019
  • But lives as a free man in Ireland as High Court ruled he can't be extradited
  • In new Netflix documentary, he denies ever having met the French film producer
  • Many locals in rural part of West Cork claim he admitted the murder to them
  • Comes as Sky documentary claimed he could be cleared due to new evidence
A British former journalist found guilty in French courts of the brutal murder of a French film producer in Ireland has again denied being involved in her death in a new Netflix documentary as it emerges there may be new evidence to clear him 25 years after he was first arrested.

Still a free man, Bailey continues to live in the community that was rocked by Sophie's murder. He was never tried in Ireland, despite being arrested twice. In 2019 he found guilty in France, where he was tried 'in absentia' and sentenced to 25 years behind bars.

Last year, Ireland's High Court rejected an attempt by French authorities to have him extradited.

Now, new evidence passed to the Gardai by another documentary director may clear Bailey's name with a witness claiming to have spotted another man in the area known to the victim's husband - despite many locals saying Bailey has confessed the crime to them.

Marie Farrell, who was the Gardai's key witness in placing Bailey at the scene, has now recounted her testimony to say the man she saw was too short to be Bailey.

Speaking from the home where he still lives in Schull, West Cork, Manchester-born Bailey explained he moved to Ireland from England to 'quit the *advertiser censored***** rat race' and once there reached out to newspaper editors about doing freelance work, while also writing poetry and doing gardening for money.

'The victim's house is about three miles down the road, or about a mile as the crow files,' he said.

'I'd done some work for her neighbour, Mr Alf Lyons, I was never introduced to her, but I was aware of her but I didn't know her name.

'It was alleged, unexplainedly, that a lady seen me down at Kealfadda Bridge in the early hours of the morning. It wasn't me, it's completely untrue, at the time I was asleep in the prairie cottage.'

Ian Bailey could be cleared of murdering Sophie Toscan Du Plantier due to new documentary | Daily Mail Online

What does Foster hypothesise as the motive? What was the link with IB, did he know her?

Foster thinks that Bailey went there to have sex and was rejected. He thinks that they had recently become acquainted and that Sophie possibly gave Bailey a ride from the airport. (The passenger seat on her rental car was all the way back as if to accommodate someone very tall. Bailey is 6'4" or thereabouts.) Sophie may have been seen at a gas station with a male passenger who, the author says, may have been Bailey.

According to others, Sophie told people in France that she was planning to meet with a weird poet, which is an apt description of Bailey. Foster says he, Foster, was given access to Sophie's diary by her family and in it he found references to the Indian goddess Kali. Foster feels that it could not be a coincidence that in January 1997 Bailey talked about Kali to a French reporter.

Bailey denies knowing Sophie so it would be significant if it could be proved that he did.

As I understand it, there is still some DNA from Sophie's murder, some drops that might have been left by someone standing over her, someone bleeding from cuts on the arms and forehead, drops waiting for technology to improve.

If it hasn't been done, I think it would be worthwhile to see if there was a more sinister reason for Bailey's leaving England than just abandoning the "rat-race."

Foster's book has some helpful maps and it's also very well-written.

Last edited:
I’ve followed this case since it happened and have always been fascinated. Currently watching the Sky documentary which is fairly good. I’ve always wondered why she ran towards the road though if she was running away from someone, surely it would have been quicker to run up to one of the neighbours rather than an isolated road. The fact that she had her boots on and laced up makes me wonder if she got up out of bed having heard noises outside and went to see what was up. The lack of dna found has always perplexed me, the killer must have gotten very lucky that night not to have left much evidence.

The Richardsons' house wasn't occupied. Nick Foster (Murder at Roaringwater) thinks that Sophie went out the back door to talk to Bailey, and was attacked. (Some of her blood is there.) It might have been easy to block her route up to the other house. That would have left only one way to go.

I understand there is some DNA, but it may be minute, degraded or mixed.

Last edited:
During Bailey's civil action, Paul O'Higgins questioned Bailey's companion, Jules Thomas, about her signed statement to the Guards. From Murder at Roaringwater by Nick Foster:

"O’Higgins turned to Thomas’s account to the Guards about the journey home from the Galley pub on the moonlit night of 22nd December. Close to Lowertown Creamery, Bailey, who was driving, took the turning up Hunt’s Hill.

I stayed in the car and Ian got out for a few minutes….He asked me to get out and I refused as it was too cold. Ian got back in and said he had a bad feeling about something going to happen.

Thomas: 'No. He didn’t say he had a bad feeling about anything about to happen.'
O’Higgins: 'That is an invention by the Gardaí?'
Thomas: 'I believe so.'

When we were looking across the terrain Ian remarked, 'Is that Alfie’s house [the house next to Sophie's] across the way?' and said, 'There is a light on there'.

Thomas: 'Absolute invention.'
O’Higgins: 'What were you doing when he wrote all those things? Did you ever say, 'What are you writing now?’

....The two of us then went home and very little was said except some words to the effect that he was going over later or sometime, if I wanted to go, and I said I was too tired. I got the impression that he was going over to Alfie’s but I wasn’t sure if it was that night or not.

[Thomas:] 'This is pure invention.'
O’Higgins’ tone approached sarcasm: 'That whole passage was presumably written out in front of you and presumably it means you would have had to have said something, something completely different would need to have been written and you watched that being written, is that correct, or was there just silence as he wrote?'

....I was in a sleep and Ian was tossing and turning. He then got up from bed and I would estimate that he got up about an hour later.

Bailey brought a cup of coffee to Thomas in bed. It was now about nine o’clock [am].

I saw a scratch on his forehead. I am sure and I have no recollection of seeing this scratch on his forehead on the Sunday [which was the day before]. The scratch was raw and I asked him what happened as it was fresh and a bit bloodied and he said he got it from a stick...."

Last edited:
I listened to the West Cork podcast a few months ago and at the time had nowhere to discuss my feelings about it.

I’ve personally never been so flabbergasted listening to something as when I heard about the woman from the village’s (M.F) extremely inconsistent evidence. In my personal opinion, it’s her evidence that makes me call the entire case into question.

I listened to the West Cork podcast a few months ago and at the time had nowhere to discuss my feelings about it.

I’ve personally never been so flabbergasted listening to something as when I heard about the woman from the village’s (M.F) extremely inconsistent evidence. In my personal opinion, it’s her evidence that makes me call the entire case into question.

She's lost all credibility at this point. At the end of the Netflix show, the lead detective, Dermot Dwyer, said that everything she says is a lie (or something to that effect).

I think the case rests on Bailey's physical condition the morning after, as attested to by his longtime companion and supporter; his changing story about what he did that night; his previous history of extreme domestic violence; the numerous incriminating statements he made to people in the village; and the fact that whoever did it was able to readily pick up a 55 lb concrete block. (That's probably most men, I think.)

I do wonder why the two people in the adjacent house didn't hear anything if the attack began outside the back of her house.

I'd like to hear the 911 (999?) call.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back