Is anyone afraid to search things on the computer now ?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Conversation yesterday with my 12 year old son:

Me to my son: Son, go on your laptop and google "neck breaking" for me, please.
My son: No way Mom !......You have a computer....you do it!
Me to my son: Come on honey.....please?
My son: Mom.......(sigh) you need to get a hold of yourself.

With all this back and forth about the computer searches, is there anything any of you are hesitant to look up on your home computer ? I thought this topic would help distract us and lighten moods while we wait for the jury to make their decisions. For me, I wonder if my websleuths activity will ever cause me grief. LOL

Nope, not at all. I know exactly why I Google what I Google and I'm a very curious person, in general.

Conversation yesterday with my 12 year old son:

Me to my son: Son, go on your laptop and google "neck breaking" for me, please.
My son: No way Mom !......You have a computer....you do it!
Me to my son: Come on honey.....please?
My son: Mom.......(sigh) you need to get a hold of yourself.

My son was the same way! he told me uh-uh once it's typed I can't take it back, you wanna know YOU DO IT!

With all this back and forth about the computer searches, is there anything any of you are hesitant to look up on your home computer ? I thought this topic would help distract us and lighten moods while we wait for the jury to make their decisions. For me, I wonder if my websleuths activity will ever cause me grief. LOL

I'm totally freaked out about the fact that if I do a search for something, all of a sudden my computer shows ads for that item. That, IMO, is invasion of privacy. Who else is getting the info I am typing into my computer? Who asked me if it was okay to track my computer use? Luckily, the worst I've searched for is pine tar shampoo for my dog, but still. Does anyone else see this happening? Are you bothered by this? I certainly am...it's just creepy.

:floorlaugh:
I do stay WAY AWAY from anything even closely related to child trafficking and the like! I do believe they have a radr for that so I don't even read articles about arrests and busts!

I see you point..I just mean that I think that they could probably take any computer, and find allllll kinds of things that they could make look suspicious if they wanted to !

Naaahh , I don't plan an killing anyone, and my life is just too boring. They'd find out a lot about plants and Monastic life.

I will look up anything that piques my curiosity, I suppose that their are some searches on my PC that would seem odd, but oh well.

Not afraid, even though I look up a lot of stuff, often to win an argument or debate.

But I am curious if it's hard to find the time and date stamp when a "guest" uses your computer and uses another browser. I had a laptop destroyed by a virus from "147 *advertiser censored* sites" shortly after I had company a few years ago, and I don't watch *advertiser censored*. Just curious if anyone knows, although I don't loan out my computer anymore.

I wouldn't worry about Websleuths were you are anonymous. Facebook or other social media were you personal info may be exposed is a differant matter.I read that for employment purposes some background checks include social media. Look out.

to answer the thread question no, i don't plan on doing anything which would require me being in that position.

as for not worrying about things that weren't done of fb or other social media, how do you think they got the searches info? all they have to do is get your hard drive, anything you have ever done is on it, doesn't matter if you deleted off you hd it will still be there somewhere. ask little ms kc

It's kind of ironic, but I don't use MissDiva for ANYTHING else for that exact reason. So when the Scott Peterson trial was over, and I didn't use Websleuths for a while, and then the ICA thing broke on the news, I had a hell of a time remembering what my username was! All of the other MissDiva's that can be Googled are definitely not me.

I also, by default, use a program that routinely changes my IP, I don't use the same password for everything, and I don't even use the same email address for everything.

Now, to answer the question, this has not made me change what I search for. I'm a very inquisitive person, and I look up things that might make eyebrows raise on occasion, but it's purely out of intellectual curiosity. I'm a pretty law-abiding and an extremely moral person. ;)

I'm with you, I don't use GeekyGirl for anything else either, and have separate e-mail accounts for separate purposes. LOL I never even give anyone my real cell #... Google voice and forwarding, with separate numbers for separate purposes... I'm a bit weird that way!

Not afraid! But, I will be smashing my hard drive to pieces with a hammer every few months, just in case. :crazy:

LOL I have thought the exact same thing!!! Then again, I don't plan on killing anyone so I should be okay lol.

Yes, well. By now I must be on the FBI watch list. I wrote a novel wherein I blew up an earthen dam, and I had to research how to do that. Explosives, dams, etc. And I live below an earthen dam.

Just started a novel that begins with an exploding meth lab, so I learned this week how to use the "shake & bake" method of meth production. All searches saved on my hard drive, of course, and informational websites bookmarked.

Could prove awkward.

Not afraid! But, I will be smashing my hard drive to pieces with a hammer every few months, just in case. :crazy:

Ok but you can't do that with Google's hard drive.

I'm actually surprised at what they couldn't seem to find. They did key word searches, but didn't seem to be able to find out all she did on the deleted day. And I never saw the text messages between her and her mom, and never saw her fb page posts released by the SA. It is kind of like the Clinton/Monica scandal, i was actually surprised our president didn't have the power to make her disappear before the scandal blew wide open. I guess conspiracy theories are stranger than the truth.

I'm totally freaked out about the fact that if I do a search for something, all of a sudden my computer shows ads for that item. That, IMO, is invasion of privacy. Who else is getting the info I am typing into my computer? Who asked me if it was okay to track my computer use? Luckily, the worst I've searched for is pine tar shampoo for my dog, but still. Does anyone else see this happening? Are you bothered by this? I certainly am...it's just creepy.

If that creeps you out I would suggest never, ever researching Google or anything they do. Nothing you do on the Internet is private, and anonymity takes a lot of work.

Ha, ha I thought about it, but then with all of the stuff I have already searched since I have had my laptop, I'd be in big trouble anyway. So I went ahead and searched a few of the terms that were on Casey's computer just for the heck of it :)

I'm hoping my stacks of notebooks with cases I am interested in, and notes for possible novels, would back-up my gory searches...but they would still make for headlines if I am ever charged with murder.

It's so funny, because since early 1993, I have used my same yahoo address to search for everything and anything. Then Google later... I sometimes do random newspaper searches for different types of crimes that trend in major cities and compare to smaller towns.

I have to admit...most of what I search for I think people would roll their eyes. I can't even think of anything outrageous that would raise eyebrows.

You mentioned gory searches, but I think blood spatter is a relatively common search with all the crime shows. But I know what you mean. Now that I think about it, I have done many many searches on court cases and transcripts of women that killed her kids. I have also delve deep into the women of death row, and then researched any news or anything. The good news, is I quickly get distracted with work, or music, or emails, or yahoo im, or chatter.. that I can go from searching "stabbed 100 times" to Lord of the Ring's quotes"

I might win a insanity plea based on it!!

:great::great::great::great:

No it has not changed the way I search or what I search for because I don't plan to kill anyone or search on how to do so. I do search for all kinds of stuff tho - I am a big researcher of a lot of stuff. Most of my friends will ask me to find something for them if they can't and I usually find it. My boss has me research a lot of stuff on my work computer and I am sure some folks would wonder why I searched certain things. I know it is not private on the WWW, I do use caution in what sites I go to because there are so many that are just evil with what they can add to the computer and track your every move. I use WOT and it will pretty much tell me if a site is safe or not. I use a variation of my name on a yahoo account to register for things or sign up and that account can get hit with 200+ spam emails a day. But I have my normal email for communications with my family/friends.

I am sure if most computers were checked - we all have things that would be suspect that we have looked up. I just try not to worry too much about it because I enjoy my nternet ;-)

Yes, well. By now I must be on the FBI watch list. I wrote a novel wherein I blew up an earthen dam, and I had to research how to do that. Explosives, dams, etc. And I live below an earthen dam.

Just started a novel that begins with an exploding meth lab, so I learned this week how to use the "shake & bake" method of meth production. All searches saved on my hard drive, of course, and informational websites bookmarked.

Could prove awkward.

Now that is funny. I can almost guarantee you are on MORE THAN ONE LIST!!!

Well I always heard, but now know for certain, that even if you think you delete stuff....it ain't really gone! Not that I'm worried. Or anything....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back