Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment?

• Yes

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 79 89.8%
  • It depends - please post dependencies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just don't know

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not talking about everyone else were talking about Elizabeth and this was the food they were feeding her. On another thread a few people disagreed on whether it was fair to put her on the nutraloaf diet. Instead of being off topic, this thread was created or at least that's how I understood it. I think it's just an opinion poll on whether we think it's a fair punishment since some WSers disagreed about it. I don't think it's a big deal and it was questioned on another thread so why not address it.

No, Nutraloaf is not unconstitutional as evidenced by the numerous court rulings... it may be pretty nasty tasting, and not aesthetically appealing, but it provides her with the nutrients and calories that she needs. (IMO.. even that's too good for her..) And honestly.. after hearing about CA's drawer full of snacks.. I'm glad that this is all that Elizabeth was given to eat.. prisoners are given too many freedoms when it comes to their food. How is jail punishment when you can order chips, candy bars, popcorn, and kool-aid from the commissary?

Elizabeth is a spoiled little brat who needs a harsh dose of reality. And if she can't handle Nutraloaf, then that's just too bad. The rules in my house growing up were that if you didn't like or want to eat was being served.. you went hungry. It should be the same situation in jail.

Actually, what's so bad about worms? I'm sure they contain some nutritional value themselves.

Besides, you can't get more 'organic' than worms. They're sure to be the next new craze out here in California.

~ lol! One of my favorite books when I was a child was called, "How to Eat Fried Worms'. Maybe we should send Elizabeth a copy?

Worms have protein, in addition to the veggies and carbs in that loaf. I say it's pretty good for someone like her. In fact, certain cultures consider worms as delicacies, still popular and expensive today - ie. Cordyceps - [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_fungus[/ame]

Don't forget she brought this upon herself, by attacking 2 other inmates. She can also end this at ANY TIME if she would just tell the truth about where Gabe is.

Amen to that!!! She gets to shower everday too!!

I know. And then I think about 3rd world countries where people would kill for a "loaf", let alone a shower.

She needs to stop biatching and tell us where Gabriel is!

MOO

Mel

I keep thinking about a show I love to watch...Bizarre Foods (Travel Channel) Oh, another one too, Anthony Bourdain No Reservations. These guys travel all over the world, and eat foods regional to where they are.

Lots of intestines, insects, five year old fish (never frozen or refrigerated) testicles from countless anilmals etc. I have a very open mind about food, will try most anything once...but I draw the line at some of the stuff these guys run into, that are eaten EVERY DAY in other areas of the world.

We used to make this type of loaf to take on hiking/fishing trips in the event we did not catch our dinner. We added more spice to it, but then we were not incarcerated, therefore able to to have these luxuries.

Now I might have a little sympathy if they served her cat testicles, grilled rats and pork brains...but not enough to claim it was cruel and unusual.....after all, the folks in Viet Nam sell these items from street vendor carts every day.

Wah Wah Wah I'm sick, and tired of hearing about inmates not liking their prison food. Don't commit a crime, and then you can have the freedom to go eat where ever you choose. Just the fact that EJ is taking up time, and tax payers money from our legal system to address her prison meals on TV is pi--ing me off big time.

She is whinning? But yet we have children being STARVED TO DEATH in this world. :-( seems to me she has much more then her son may have and more then the children starving litterly to death in the world.

Either talk or put your big girl panties on and deal with it. I am so sick of people in jail whinning about what they are getting or not getting ! ITS JAIL NOT DISNEY WORLD!!

I wouldn't mind a piece of the bread right now. I'm on a diet of shakes and it is killing me, what I wouldn't give for some carbs.

She should eat it and shut up. Better yet say where little Gabe is.

I voted no.

Still my answer won't be popular.

If this were a regular diet for prisoners I would vote yes.

From what I've read about the "loaf" it's given to prisoners who have thrown food at CO's or other discipline issues. There was a news article here in FL where a state legislator tried one and described it as bland with a gross consistency. (my words)

Food should not be a punishment in the general scheme of things. It's a necessity and it's no secret that it's quality in prison attributes to morale/mental state of the prisoners (and with so many prisoners with mental issues, this is a big deal.. cost alone for the extra staff, medical should concern you all) and employee safety (riots have started over this issue). An edible, appetizing meal is not too much to give.

I mean, I know a lot of you are venting. EJ is a jerk, no matter what, what she's done is horrible

I might be wrong, but I get warm fuzzies knowing she was forced to eat that carp. It sounds like she earned that loaf too. But still.. Most of these people will get out one day then you have to deal with bitter ex-cons that were treated like animals..

Yup, I want that person as my neighbor.

So my answer is still NO. The loaf is given primarily as a safety issue not a regular diet. No problem. She's still a crybaby, I feel bad for the CO's that have to deal with her every day.

I think to be humane we need to give prisoners nutritional meals, a balanced diet, meet minimum daily nutritional requirements. Nutraloaf shouldn't be a punishment - it should be standard fare for all prisoners. I'm sick of the coddling of prisoners. They hurt society, they cost society. If they want a good or better life, then they shouldn't commit crimes. Plain and simple.

Elizabeth can't be rehabilitated. She's a drain on and cost to society. Keep her alive certainly, keep her contained where she can no longer hurt others definitely. Keep costs to maintain her at an absolute minimum.

When we don't have any more brutalized and abused and neglected and murdered and hungry and sick children, I'll be happy to start putting my energy towards whether prisoners should get Happy Meals.

I think to be humane we need to give prisoners nutritional meals, a balanced diet, meet minimum daily nutritional requirements. Nutraloaf shouldn't be a punishment - it should be standard fare for all prisoners. I'm sick of the coddling of prisoners. They hurt society, they cost society. If they want a good or better life, then they shouldn't commit crimes. Plain and simple.

BBM - wow- the thing is, EJ hasn't been found to have committed a crime- she's in jail because she can't make bail. Like lots of poor people who may or may not be later convicted. I think it is the sheer evil of what EJ has done that makes us conclude that, in this case, a trial is a mere formality.

[/B]

BBM - wow- the thing is, EJ hasn't been found to have committed a crime- she's in jail because she can't make bail. Like lots of poor people who may or may not be later convicted. I think it is the sheer evil of what EJ has done that makes us conclude that, in this case, a trial is a mere formality.

It is my opinion that Elizabeth has committed a crime. I don't need a trial to have my thoughts and reach my opinions.

Many people misunderstand the concept of innocent until proven guilty. It applies only in the court room during trial, and to those engaged in the conduct of the trial. It doesn't apply to the rest of us having our thoughts and forming or expressing our opinions.

If you search WS for our verified criminal defense attorney rhornsby, he did a much better job of explaining it than I could ever hope to.

ETA: Here is Richard Hornsby's excellent explanation:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4741990"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Motion to Take Deposition to Perpetuate Testimony of Jill Kerley[/ame]

[/B]

BBM.
Her bail is so high because of the crimes she is accused of and others that she is not yet charged with but may have committed, and also because she has shown that she is an obvious flight risk. She has shown in her past actions that she cares nothing about following court orders and showing up for court proceedings. It doesn't have to be about whether she's guilty of the crimes she's accused of. She's made choices that have put her in her current situation.

BBM.
Her bail is so high because of the crimes she is accused of and others that she is not yet charged with but may have committed, and also because she has shown that she is an obvious flight risk. She has shown in her past actions that she cares nothing about following court orders and showing up for court proceedings. It doesn't have to be about whether she's guilty of the crimes she's accused of. She's made choices that have put her in her current situation.

I agree with you. This thread, though, is about whether or not serving nutraloaf to prisoners passes Constitutional muster. EJ gets loaf because she assaulted her fellow prisoners. I'm down with that. Absent bad behavior, she should get regular jail chow. As should anyone who behaves themselves in jail and has not yet been convicted of a crime.

This thread is specifically about Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment? Punishment for assaulting 2 inmates. She was given regular jail food since she was placed in jail. She was given the nutraloaf for max of 1 week (according to her will), and after her temper tantrum, she was eating regular food again in the psyche ward. I don't think it's a big deal to eat bread for a week, esp after what she did (for attacking 2 inmates, since she's not yet proven guilty for hurting gabriel... in time though, it will be proven).

I say keep on feeding her Neutroloaf until she cracks and tells what she did with Gabriel.

Maybe bread and water is what she should be getting.
Does she care if little Gabe has the right kind of food????
Elizabeth, do you remember dear little baby Gabe????

This thread is specifically about Is Elizabeth's Jail Food Cruel & Unusual Punishment? Punishment for assaulting 2 inmates. She was given regular jail food since she was placed in jail. She was given the nutraloaf for max of 1 week (according to her will), and after her temper tantrum, she was eating regular food again in the psyche ward. I don't think it's a big deal to eat bread for a week, esp after what she did (for attacking 2 inmates, since she's not yet proven guilty for hurting gabriel... in time though, it will be proven).

My first thought was if I were in jail awaiting trial, I would hope to be treated better, but since I never checked into a hotel room with my baby, checked out and hopped a bus alone - after calling the father of my child to say I smothered your kid - shoved him in a diaper bag that went into the trash - then refused to cough up a name or address of the people I gave him to for four months.

Is there a need to prove she hurt Gabriel? She arrived back in the state without him, she left without notifying his father (or the courts - defying a custody order) and she refuses to say where he is - aside from giving him to strangers she met at or near a park, sound familiar? Sounds a little too close to the stories KC Anthony wants us to believe.

We know how that turned out for Caylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member