Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel-Hamas war live: Netanyahu says Israel will dismantle ‘bloodthirsty monsters’ of Hamas (theguardian.com)
6m ago17.43 BST

US Senate leader Chuck Schumer is currently in Tel Aviv where he is leading a bipartisan visit with other senators to pledge support to Israel.

“These are two necessary tasks – eliminating the threat of Hamas once and for all and freeing hostages,” Schumer said in a press conference, adding that he plans to speak with president Joe Biden next week to emphasize the need to support families of hostages still held by Hamas.

Schumer went on to say that he told Israeli leaders that “it was really important, and it’s difficult, we know it’s difficult, but still we have to minimize civilian casualties in Gaza.”

“As Senate majority leader and as I mentioned, highest ranking Jewish leader in American history, I’m doing everything in my power to ensure the Senate delivers the support Israel really needs to accomplish these military, intelligence and humanitarian goals. We will not just talk. We will act. We will work to move this aid through the Senate ASAP,” Schumer added.

I agree on Iran. Imo, they are the factor that could propel this into another WW.
MOO MOO MOO Iran won't do this without allies MOO MOO MOO
They know they would lose.

They can cause trouble, terror and mayhem, but I don't think they would cause a WW.

They're already very good at causing prolonged problems and being a real pain. Why start a WW which would ruin all of that for them? ..MOO MOO MOO

Having an atomic bomb is a bargaining chip and a form of intimidation.

Israel-Hamas war live updates: Fears for civilians as 'next stages' of Gaza attack loom (cnn.com)
10 min ago

Humanitarian aid is stuck at a crossing between Gaza and Egypt. Here's the latest​

Egypt is facing mounting pressure to act as neighboring Gaza gets pummeled by Israeli strikes after last weekend’s brutal assault in Israel by Hamas.

In the wake of the Hamas attacks, Israel closed its two border crossings with Gaza and imposed a “complete siege” on the territory, blocking supplies of fuel, electricity and water.

It has left the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt as the only viable outlet to get people out of the enclave — and supplies into it.

But the crossing has been closed for much of the past week: Neither Gazans nor foreign nationals have been able to cross.

A Palestinian border official told CNN Egypt had blocked the gates of the crossing with concrete slabs. Egypt has denied reports it closed its side of the crossing, and said the Gaza side had been damaged by repeated Israeli airstrikes.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told CNN on Saturday the crossing was open, but aerial bombardment had rendered the roads “inoperable” on the Gaza side.

Aid is stuck at the crossing: Tons of vital humanitarian supplies for people in Gaza are piling up on the Egyptian side of the border.

Aid flights from Jordan, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the World Health Organization and the Red Cross have arrived in the Egyptian city of El-Arish, approximately 45 kilometers (23 miles) away from Rafah, according to footage aired on Egyptian state television Saturday.

The Red Crescent has warehouses full of humanitarian aid, and the El-Arish stadium has been prepared to accommodate more aid, an official said Saturday.

A World Health Organization plane carrying medical supplies also landed in Egypt on Saturday, the WHO director-general said. However, the organization is still waiting for humanitarian access through the crossing.

Diplomatic efforts: Shoukry, the Egyptian foreign minister, told CNN the country has tried to ship humanitarian aid to Gaza but has not received the proper authorization to do so.

Egypt said Sunday it would intensify its efforts to try and help relief organizations deliver aid to Gaza, though a statement from the Egyptian presidency said “national security is a red line and that there is no compromise in its protection.”

The Biden administration has held talks with Israel and Egypt about getting aid to Gaza and ensuring safe passage for Americans and other civilians out of the territory.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN on Sunday Egypt was willing to allow Americans to cross at Rafah but a group of them had been blocked by Hamas.

Egypt's concerns: Egypt, which already hosts millions of migrants, is uneasy about the prospect of hundreds of thousands of Palestinian refugees crossing into its territory. More than two million Palestinians live in Gaza.

Egyptian media outlets have sounded alarms about the prospect of allowing Palestinian refugees into the country, warning it may forcefully displace Gazans into Sinai.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi echoed those sentiments Thursday. “There is a danger” when it comes to Gaza, he said, “a danger so big, because it means an end to this (Palestinian) cause … It is important that (Gaza’s) people remain standing and on their land.”

This is why US Secretary of State Bilken has saved the most important meeting for his final visit, to Egypt to find some way to allow foreign nationals through the Rafah border crossing and to let international aid in.

The Kerem Shalom border crossing is also very close to Rafah, and was originated as a commercial truck crossing from Egypt into Gaza via a very tiny corner of Israeli territory that was owned by two Palenstinian families. It would be an ideal way to get cargo and relief supplies in if operable, but right now with the human population concentration in Rafah, is not really feasible and it has been closed since it was attacked last Saturday.

In the past, Egypt has also cooperated to remove tunnel entrances that originated in Egypt and crossed into Gaza under the border.

Israel also needs to be extremely careful and remove any possible leftover tunnels in the Israeli-Egyptian border than might also have crossed into Gaza.

Kerem Shalom was also attacked by HAMAS rockets in May 2023 and last Saturday, along with the other portions of the attack. It has been open last week prior to the attack, although scheduled to close for the Israeli holiday. So up until the HAMAS attack, this was a viable route for goods to enter Gaza from Egypt. HAMAS put an end to that.

From Wikipedia:

The Palestinian side of the [Kerem Shalom] crossing is operated by two families who were granted a franchise by the Palestinian Authority and authorized by Hamas. The Ministry of Commerce and Industry in Ramallah coordinates activity with Israel. The two sides are 400 meters apart, separated by a drop-off zone for unloading goods.[1]

The Gaza Strip smuggling tunnels have been used to evade import taxes imposed by Hamas (which seized control of Gaza in 2007), as well as to smuggle in goods that Israel has banned from entering Gaza.[4] After deposing Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi in 2013), the Egyptian military shut down many tunnels in 2014 and 2015.[4][5] Israel bans the import into Gaza of weapons and dual-use goods (products that have civilian applications but may be diverted for military use),[6] although many of these banned items are smuggled through tunnels.[7]

Last edited:
2min ago

Air force takes top officers on flights over Gaza to see invasion routes

Senior ground forces officers were taken on flights by the Israeli Air Force in recent days over Gaza Strip territory in order to view from above the direction of the military’s expected maneuvers, The Times of Israel has learned.

The brigade and battalion commanders were shown from combat helicopters where the ground troops are expected to enter from during the looming ground offensive into the Gaza Strip.

The IDF said yesterday it was finalizing its preparations for a “coordinated attack from the air, sea and land.”

I am not sure how they would get out of Gaza. They can't fly out, they can't go by sea, they can't walk out unless they sneak through the border wall.. seems if they did that they'd now be in Israel.. not the best place to be.

I think announcing the plan is giving anyone who can the chance to get away from the area. I suspect as they make public announcements they are watching, gathering intel and seeing how HAMAS reacts to it. They have been bombing targets and have eliminated several of those leaders already. Each time they make a statement of actions they are taking I am sure they are taking quiet action inside Gaza also.

There are several surveillance planes that continue to fly off and on over Israel and the Mediterranean sea. Currently the United Kingdom has a surveillance plane up. Israel had it's signal intelligence plane "IRON" up earlier also and I've seen the US have one in the area in the last few days also.

www.flightradar24.com

RRR7215
IRON

HAMAS has to communicate with each other somehow. I think they have a plan bigger than what they are saying publicly. They make an announcement.. then watch and listen. If HAMAS has to always be ready not knowing exactly when this will happen, I can't imagine they are getting any sleep or not good sleep. Also, if they announce several plans and then delay then will HAMAS think it's going to happen when it actually does? I am sure there is a strategy here. They have some of the most advanced capabilities in the world in the area and they are up against an enemy that can't get supplies in without it being known.. surrounded on all sides I guess you could say.

The attack on them was a surprise. They had no control over that because they didn't pick up intel on it. Since then they have recovered some plans on the bodies of dead terrorists and I suspect they are interrogating heavily any terrorists they have captured alive.
My concern is if any of those tunnels lead to bordering nations. I have a hard time believing they're restricted to Gaza...would love to be wrong.

They can cause trouble, terror and mayhem, but I don't think they would cause a WW.

They're already very good at causing prolonged problems and being a real pain. Why start a WW which would ruin all of that for them? ..MOO MOO MOO

I pray you are right!

Israel-Hamas war live updates: Fears for civilians as 'next stages' of Gaza attack loom (cnn.com)
10 min ago

Humanitarian aid is stuck at a crossing between Gaza and Egypt. Here's the latest​

Egypt is facing mounting pressure to act as neighboring Gaza gets pummeled by Israeli strikes after last weekend’s brutal assault in Israel by Hamas.

In the wake of the Hamas attacks, Israel closed its two border crossings with Gaza and imposed a “complete siege” on the territory, blocking supplies of fuel, electricity and water.

It has left the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt as the only viable outlet to get people out of the enclave — and supplies into it.

But the crossing has been closed for much of the past week: Neither Gazans nor foreign nationals have been able to cross.

A Palestinian border official told CNN Egypt had blocked the gates of the crossing with concrete slabs. Egypt has denied reports it closed its side of the crossing, and said the Gaza side had been damaged by repeated Israeli airstrikes.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told CNN on Saturday the crossing was open, but aerial bombardment had rendered the roads “inoperable” on the Gaza side.

Aid is stuck at the crossing: Tons of vital humanitarian supplies for people in Gaza are piling up on the Egyptian side of the border.

Aid flights from Jordan, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the World Health Organization and the Red Cross have arrived in the Egyptian city of El-Arish, approximately 45 kilometers (23 miles) away from Rafah, according to footage aired on Egyptian state television Saturday.

The Red Crescent has warehouses full of humanitarian aid, and the El-Arish stadium has been prepared to accommodate more aid, an official said Saturday.

A World Health Organization plane carrying medical supplies also landed in Egypt on Saturday, the WHO director-general said. However, the organization is still waiting for humanitarian access through the crossing.

Diplomatic efforts: Shoukry, the Egyptian foreign minister, told CNN the country has tried to ship humanitarian aid to Gaza but has not received the proper authorization to do so.

Egypt said Sunday it would intensify its efforts to try and help relief organizations deliver aid to Gaza, though a statement from the Egyptian presidency said “national security is a red line and that there is no compromise in its protection.”

The Biden administration has held talks with Israel and Egypt about getting aid to Gaza and ensuring safe passage for Americans and other civilians out of the territory.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN on Sunday Egypt was willing to allow Americans to cross at Rafah but a group of them had been blocked by Hamas.

Egypt's concerns: Egypt, which already hosts millions of migrants, is uneasy about the prospect of hundreds of thousands of Palestinian refugees crossing into its territory. More than two million Palestinians live in Gaza.

Egyptian media outlets have sounded alarms about the prospect of allowing Palestinian refugees into the country, warning it may forcefully displace Gazans into Sinai.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi echoed those sentiments Thursday. “There is a danger” when it comes to Gaza, he said, “a danger so big, because it means an end to this (Palestinian) cause … It is important that (Gaza’s) people remain standing and on their land.”

If they wanted to, I think Egypt could be persuaded to use the Kerem Shalom truck crossing to avoid the Rafah crossing, if Israel would cooperate.

However, Kerem Shalom has been a site of numerous attacks by HAMAS, and the most famous attack was 25 June 2006, Corporal Gilad Shalit was captured by Palestinian Hamas militants near Kerem Shalom after the attackers infiltrated the border from the Gaza Strip into Israel via a tunnel. Two Israeli Defense Force soldiers were killed and three others wounded, in addition to Shalit. In response and with the mission of rescuing Shalit, IDF entered Gaza Strip as part of Operation Summer Rains on 28 June.[10] Shalit was freed in a prisoner exchange for 1000 Palestinian prisoners held in Israel on 18 October 2011.

More recently, there was an attack on the crossing by HAMAS in May 2023, and it was also attacked last Saturday. Before Saturday, it had been operational for truck traffic from Egypt into Gaza.

My concern is if any of those tunnels lead to bordering nations. I have a hard time believing they're restricted to Gaza...would love to be wrong.

Egypt was actively destroying tunnels and their entrances found on Egyptian territory in 2014 and 2015. Not finding any reports that this has resumed.

I have thought for quite some time that tunnels from south Gaza into Egypt have been active and not a high priority for destruction by Egyptian authorities for some time.

8:00 pm

Blinken confident Rafah crossing with Gaza to open to aid

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt “will be open” for aid into the blockaded strip.

“We’re putting in place with the United Nations, with Egypt, with Israel, with others, the mechanism by which to get the assistance and to get it to people who need it,” he tells reporters while departing from Cairo.

Fake news alert :
Official Palestinian channels are putting out fake information in which they include an Israeli child murdered by Hamas as a Palestinian victim of the current round of violence.
The image they posted is from 2022 and includes a photo of Ido Avigail who was murdered by Hamas on May 12, 2021.
You know what would prevent innocent deaths on both sides?

If Palestinian officials would condemn Hamas’ war crimes instead of hijacking the pain of Israeli victim

IMG_8469.jpeg

8:04 pm

Families say Netanyahu reassured them he is working to free hostages held by Hamas

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meets with family members of those believed to be held captive in Gaza by Hamas, at an IDF base in Ramle, October 15, 2023. (Courtesy)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meets with family members of those believed to be held captive in Gaza by Hamas, at an IDF base in Ramle, October 15, 2023. (Courtesy)

After meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this evening for the first time, family members of those believed to be held hostage in Gaza say they were reassured by the premier that he is working to free their loved ones.

In a statement following the meeting at an IDF Home Front Command base in Ramle, the forum of families says that “Netanyahu told the families that one of the goals of the war is the return of the captive and missing.”

On Saturday, National Security Council chief Tzachi Hanegbi said “Israel will not hold negotiations with an enemy that we have vowed to wipe from the face of the earth.”

In response, the families forum issued a statement slamming the government for “effectively saying that it is abandoning its citizens who have been kidnapped.”

Following the meeting today, the families say that they accept a “clarification” from Netanyahu that Hanegbi’s statement did not represent his opinion on the matter.

The families say they demanded all avenues be explored, including through contact with Hamas, leaders of Arab countries and other figures “in order to lead to their immediate release.”

14 min ago

Rafah crossing will be open, US secretary of state says after meeting with Egypt's president​

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken promised Sunday "Rafah will be open" after meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

"Rafah will be open," he said. "We're putting in place with the UN, with Egypt, Israel, with others, the mechanism by which to get the assistance in and to get it to people who need it."

Blinken also announced President Joe Biden's appointment of David Satterfield, former US ambassador to Turkey, to help coordinate aid efforts. Blinken said Satterfield will be in Israel on Monday to begin coordinating.

"He will be here on the ground tomorrow to work out all the practical details so we can move this forward," Blinken said of Satterfield.

Blinken, who has met with various regional leaders including those of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, said he had "very good conversations" with both el-Sisi and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

He added every nation he spoke with shared the administration's goal of preventing an escalation and securing aid to civilians stuck in Gaza.

"This is a difficult and a challenging time, but there's a determination that I've heard across the board to work through it, to get through it, and to do that together," Blinken said of his meetings with the regional leaders.

Blinken said while the US supports Israel's right to defend itself, he hopes Israel responds "in a way that affirms the shared values that we have for human life and human dignity."

"The way that Israel does this matters. It needs to do it in a way that affirms the shared values that we have for human life and human dignity, taking every possible precaution to avoid harming civilians," he said. "Civilians should not have to suffer for Hamas' atrocities."

Asked if the US would come to Israel's defense in the event of an escalation, Blinken said, "I don't think we could be more clear than we've been, that when it comes to Israel's security, we have Israel's back."

He added,"We will stand with it today, tomorrow, and every day."

Blinken assured US striker groups mobilized in the region are not intended "to provoke anyone, but to send a very clear message of deterrence, that no one should do anything that widens this conflict in any way, or that furthers aggression against Israel from any other direction."

"No one should do anything that could add fuel to the fire in any other place. I think that's very clear," he added.

Blinken also said the US welcomes Egypt's plan to host an international regional summit to address the Palestinian situation, adding it is "a positive thing."

Blinken outlined two paths he sees for the conflict and for the broader Middle East: one that ensures peace and prosperity, and one that gives in to Hamas's "vision of death, of destruction, of nihilism, of terrorism."

Hamas's vision is one that "does nothing to advance aspirations for Palestinians," he warned, but rather "brings total darkness."

I love this opinion! I hope you're right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scroobius