Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is an appetite, but when you are surrounded by terrorists... is it possible to live with hope (and trust in others) for actual peace?
Well I refer back to the example I used earlier of Northern Ireland (I'll forgive you if you missed it, this is a very busy thread). The Troubles did take an agonising amount of time to be resolved (sort of, at least it's a lot better than in was!) that the people eventually got so fed up of people dying and stuff over sectarian nonsense that they were willing to compromise and settle on a peace that has (for the most part) lasted.

Analysis

Civilian casualties could soar​

Paul Adams
Diplomatic correspondent

For all the unprecedented horror surrounding the start of this episode, events now may start to follow a pattern familiar from previous Gaza “wars”.

Israel knows that a wave of international sympathy and goodwill gives its military a window of opportunity to conduct extensive military operations inside Gaza.
One former government official told me Israel will have “at least two weeks” before calls for restraint from Washington (the only power that matters here) will become hard to resist.

If Israel is determined to deal a decisive blow to Hamas, this will inevitably involve a massive ground operation, at which point civilian casualties – already high – are likely to soar.

Complicating matters enormously is the fate of at least 100 Israeli hostages – soldiers and civilians - now being held in Gaza.

If Hamas starts killing the civilians, the former official told me, “we will do to Hamas what the world did with ISIS and al-Qaeda”.

A dark night on the Gaza Strip​

Brandon Livesay

1696894073810.jpeg
BBC

It's just after 02:20 in Israel and the Gaza Strip.

Power cuts and infrastructure damage have severely impacted the area.

The image above shows clouds of smoke billowing over buildings in Gaza, lit from beneath by flames sparked by an Israeli air strike.

Updates from region have slowed because of the early hour there. But we have been hearing a steady flow of information from governments in the US and Europe.

The Pentagon and the White House have both held news briefings recently.

We learned that US warships are heading to the eastern Mediterranean, and planes with ammunitions were en route to Israel.

A joint statement was also released by the leaders of the UK, US, France, Italy and Germany.

The leaders said they were united in support of Israel.

The latest information we have is at least 900 people have been killed in Israel and almost 700 people have been killed in Gaza.

Egypt intelligence official says Israel ignored repeated warnings of ‘something big’

Cairo official says Israel focused on West Bank instead of Gaza; Egypt’s spy chief said to warn PM of ‘terrible operation,’ Netanyahu’s office denies

Mounting questions over Israel’s massive intelligence failure to anticipate and prepare for a surprise Hamas assault were compounded Monday when an Egyptian intelligence official said that Jerusalem had ignored repeated warnings that the Gaza-based terror group was planning “something big” ...

The Egyptian official said Egypt, which often serves as a mediator between Israel and Hamas, had spoken repeatedly with the Israelis about “something big,” without elaborating.

He said ... a rising tide of violence over the last 18 months.

“We have warned them an explosion of the situation is coming, and very soon, and it would be big. But they underestimated such warnings,” the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to discuss the content of sensitive intelligence discussions with the media

Egypt's Intelligence officer called Netanyahu 10 days before attack
From the link it says - “No early message came from Egypt and the prime minister did not speak or meet with the intelligence chief since the establishment of the government — not indirectly or directly,” his office said in a statement earlier in the day.

I’m not convinced they were officially warned. Apparently US intelligence missed it too. imo

Search YT for this title (edit: looks like google search is better)

LIVE Multi-Cam: Views from Israel and Gaza amid ongoing fighting

Israeli time is in the middle of the screen. Scroll back to 2:25. There is a major hit on a building next to the cam and the sound is utter chaos now :(

You can also scroll back to about 1:55, the people in the building were warned to get out and there was chaos then too.

''Biden says 11 Americans killed, others held by Hamas; some 1,500 terrorist bodies said inside Israel; tensions spike on Lebanon border; potential progress on unity government​

''Hamas is carrying out “ISIS level savagery” against Israeli civilians, a senior US Defense Department official tells reporters during a briefing.

“I want to differentiate this from other times we have seen conflicts between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. This is ISIS level savagery that we have seen committed against Israeli civilians – houses burned to the ground, young people massacred at music festivals.,” the official says, speaking on condition of anonymity''.

47s ago

London police arrest three demonstrators​

London Police arrested three people in Central London on Monday involved in demonstrations “following the attack in Israel and the escalation of conflict along the border with Gaza”, Reuters reports.

Three arrests have been made for assault on an emergency worker, racially-motivated criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon, the Metropolitan Police said.

The police said it has gathered evidence and active enquiries are under way to identity, locate and arrest those suspected of being involved in criminal damage of a building during the protests in Kensington High Street.

6m ago

In Lebanon, people leaving villages near border with Israel amid shelling​

To Lebanon now, where state news agency reported earlier that there was heavy traffic on main roads heading from the country’s border with Israel as people flee the area.

Heavy shelling has hit the outskirts of towns and villages in southern Lebanon and schools will remain closed on Tuesday.

Gabi Hage, a father of three with a house in Lebanon near the border described heavy shelling close to him.

“Our house is really close to the border, so we’re leaving and going down to the village. All my neighbours are doing the same,” he said.

Israeli shelling on Lebanon killed at least three Hezbollah militants on Monday, and Israel said one of its officers was killed during an earlier cross-border raid claimed by Palestinians in Lebanon.

'You cannot reform Hamas' - US Congressman​

California Congressman Brad Sherman has told BBC News that the conflict in Gaza may last for “months”, but he believes it is necessary to ensure safety for Israeli citizens.

“You can’t just pretend this didn’t happen and just leave them [Hamas] with the sophisticated military power that they’ve demonstrated. You’ve got to disarm Hamas,” Sherman says.

The member of the powerful House Foreign Affairs Committee says the priority for the US right now should be aiding Israel, "not only militarily but diplomatically as well”.

Sherman says that Hamas may have felt obliged to launch an attack out of the fear that Saudi Arabia would reach a peace deal with Israel that was being brokered by the Biden White House.

“They did this because they had to,” Sherman says.

When asked about his concern for the next phase in operations, he says that people should prepare for the likelihood that Hamas will execute prisoners.

“You have to defeat Hamas,” says Sherman. “You cannot reform Hamas.”

32m ago

US 'surging' fresh munitions and air defence supplies, official says​

The US military is “surging” fresh supplies of air defences, munitions and other security assistance to Israel to help it respond to an unprecedented weekend attack by Hamas, a senior US defence official told Pentagon reporters on Monday.

“Planes have already taken off,” the US official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to Pentagon reporters.

“We are surging support to Israel... We remain in constant ongoing contact with our counterparts in Israel to determine and then support their most urgent requirements.”

The United States has not yet detailed the extent of Israel’s requests for security assistance. But the official said Washington was contacting the defense industry to expedite pending Israeli orders, and looking at the US military’s own stockpiles to help fill Israeli gaps.

The official also appeared to dismiss concerns that the United States might struggle to supply Israel at the same time that it funnels weaponry to Ukraine.

“We are able to continue our support both to Ukraine, to Israel, and maintain our own global readiness,” the official said.

Well I refer back to the example I used earlier of Northern Ireland (I'll forgive you if you missed it, this is a very busy thread). The Troubles did take an agonising amount of time to be resolved (sort of, at least it's a lot better than in was!) that the people eventually got so fed up of people dying and stuff over sectarian nonsense that they were willing to compromise and settle on a peace that has (for the most part) lasted.

Northern Ireland was a good example/point, and I did see it but it flew right out of my head. My apologies as your point is sincerely worth long consideration.

I'm not sure why things (and mindsets) are so different in the middle east.

Last edited:
1m ago

WHO cites 11 attacks on health care facilities in Gaza​

The World Health Organisation said that a 16-year-blockade of Gaza had already left its medical system under-resourced, and the increased hostilities are “compounding an already dire situation.”

The UN health agency reported Monday a total of 11 attacks on health care — which included medical facilities, ambulances and care providers — in the first 36 hours of the new conflict in Gaza.

“There is an urgent need to establish a humanitarian corridor for unimpeded, life-saving patient referrals and movement of humanitarian personnel and essential health supplies,” WHO said.

9m ago

Growing concerns over lack of clean water in Palestinian areas​

The United Nations, aid groups and public health experts are expressing growing concerns about humanitarian needs in Palestinian areas.

US Secretary-General António Guterres put the focus on civilians in both Israel and Gaza and renewing his condemnation of the fatalities and hostage-takings by Hamas. He also warned of the prospect of more innocent lives lost.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Assistance, or OCHA, said damage to water, sanitation and hygiene facilities in Gaza has hindered services for more than 400,000 people — or about one-sixth of the total population.

Israel controls most water resources in the Palestinian territories, in one of the world’s most water-stressed regions. Experts say the bombing and destruction of Gaza’s already weak water infrastructure will only make matters worse in an area where gastrointestinal, liver and skin problems exist already due to a severe lack of clean water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member