GUILTY Italy - Costa Concordia Cruise Ship runs aground/flips, 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Please Note:
Costa Concordia is currently out of service after running aground in January 2012. For the latest news, and photos and video of the ship, please visit our Costa Concordia page.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/membe...=ship&ShipID=371&sort=date_newest&StartRow=26

It always amazes me how some can rate their experience as a one star and others up to 5 stars.

I guess it's all subjective as to what one pays for and expects? 2 years ago I went to Cuba and stayed at a very nice hotel. After talking to other tourists staying at the same resort, they complained they would never come back. They would go to a different resort. When asked why, the complaints ranged from not enough towels in the room to choices in food.

:dunno:

It is subjective in lots of areas. I do a lot of recipe reviewing and at food.com they have tag games, one of which is the bargain basement game where we tag recipes that have 3 or fewer stars. It is amazing to see how good many are when others have rated them as terrible.

"'Sue us if you want compensation' Concordia survivors told"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nt-compensation-Concordia-survivors-told.html

WOW, is all I have to say about this article.

I do, however, have more to say about cruises in general. We've all read about disease being pevalant on cruise ships. I wonder why anyone would want to subject themselves to that. Maybe it's MORE prevalent in the cheap seats? This is NOT the first disaster we've seen with cruise ships. Why would anyone want to be trapped in a cabin flooding with water or injured when one of these ships hits a big wave - or worse?

My third, and last worry about "cruising" is the reports of rape, often by the crew, people who go "overboard", and those who just plain go missing from cruise ships. Maybe I've become more cautious in my old age, but none of the above gives me any confidence in cruise ships, or the people who own/run them. Maybe cruising is more of an adventure than any of us thought.

My opinion only

I'm guessing that you're referring to Norovirus that is a virulent type of stomach flu. When it strikes a cruise ship, if a certain number of passengers are affected, the outbreak must be reported to the CDC, so it makes the headlines. During the winter "flu" season, there are people affected by Norovirus and other variations of the flu in many venues that don't make the evening news - schools, nursing homes, shopping malls, etc. Just last week, an entire school district in mid-Michigan closed due to a major outbreak of Norovirus that affected staff, teachers, students, so the district closed to let everyone recover and so that all the facilities could be thoroughly cleaned. Any time that large groups of people are assembled in close quarters, illness among some is practically a given.

DH and I have sailed with Noro on a couple of cruises and know that staff and crew make every effort to contain the virus and protect passengers who are well. All the sanitizing in the world won't work when people embark the ship with signs of illness that they don't report when asked. Even if the ship was cleaned from bow to stern prior to boarding, individuals bring the illness onboard, and the cycle of sickness begins again. DH and I avoid contact with folks who are coughing, sneezing, have runny noses, etc., wash our hands frequently and avoid using public restrooms as suggested by the ship medical staff. The percentage of passengers who contract Noro is relatively small given the vast numbers onboard. jmo

Italy PM thanks Giglio for welcoming ship refugees

By NICOLE WINFIELD and COLLEEN BARRY, AP
19 minutes ago

ROME — Premier Mario Monti has offered his first comments since the grounding of the cruise ship off Tuscany, saying such a disaster "could and should" have been avoided and assuring that all precautions were being taken to ensure there is no fuel leak.

Monti also thanked the residents of the tiny island of Giglio, which has a wintertime population of about 900, for opening their doors to to the 4,200 cruise ship refugees who washed ashore Friday night when the Costa Concordia grounded and capsized.

In response to a question at a press conference in London, Monti acknowledged Wednesday concern about a potential leak of the 500,000 gallons of fuel aboard the ship. He says authorities had made limiting and preventing leaks a priority, as well as caring for victims.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120117/EU.Italy.Cruise.Aground/?cid=hero_media

The Second in Command was in the lifeboat with the Captain. Did he trip and fall into the lifeboat as well? :rolleyes:

Many of the families and friends of those who remain missing from the stricken Costa Concordia have joined the search for their loved ones.
Some have headed to Italy, feeling they can do more on the ground, while others are resorting to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter to spread the word and assist in any way they can.

Read More:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/16607424

This excuse reminds me of people that come into the ER and say they "slipped" and fell on a potato and that's how it got up their butt!

I don't believe either excuse.:innocent:

One in a million shot, doc. One in a million.
:floorlaugh:

This excuse reminds me of people that come into the ER and say they "slipped" and fell on a potato and that's how it got up their butt!

I don't believe either excuse.:innocent:

:floorlaugh:

Many of the families and friends of those who remain missing from the stricken Costa Concordia have joined the search for their loved ones.
Some have headed to Italy, feeling they can do more on the ground, while others are resorting to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter to spread the word and assist in any way they can.

Read More:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/16607424

How sad, very sad. I can't imagine my loved ones missing and thinking they are under the wreckage or trapped somewhere in the fridgid water deceased.
I would be devastated.

Wow isn't he lucky. Fell right into a life boat. Too think he could have fallen into that cold water :furious: Like so many others. Or those that chose to jump from sheer terror. Or those who couldn't save themselves or be saved and died in a cold watery grave :banghead: Appalling statement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nt-compensation-Concordia-survivors-told.html

I do, however, have more to say about cruises in general. We've all read about disease being pevalant on cruise ships. I wonder why anyone would want to subject themselves to that. Maybe it's MORE prevalent in the cheap seats? This is NOT the first disaster we've seen with cruise ships. Why would anyone want to be trapped in a cabin flooding with water or injured when one of these ships hits a big wave - or worse?

My third, and last worry about "cruising" is the reports of rape, often by the crew, people who go "overboard", and those who just plain go missing from cruise ships. Maybe I've become more cautious in my old age, but none of the above gives me any confidence in cruise ships, or the people who own/run them. Maybe cruising is more of an adventure than any of us thought.

My opinion only

Unfortunately that happens after every disaster whether it be airlines, cruises or tours. If some disaster happens they know they will get sued. They are so paranoid that they fear that if they even take responsibility for the basics that it will be held against them in court.

Well folks, we got it all wrong. The poor guy tripped and fell into a life boat. It wasn't his fault. :innocent:

Costa Concordia: captain ‘says he tripped and fell into life boat’

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-life-boat.html

LOL not only did he trip and "fall" into the boat, he had to wait an hour to get it into the water. LOL this guy is a trip!

He tripped and fell into the lifeboat
He waited until the passengers were off the ship before disembarking
The rocks weren't on his chart

Ok, all explained, not his fault.

I esp liked this part

“The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. (From above link)

How rude of those passengers.

My opinion only

I have some of the same feelings, Trident. But let's take a cruise ship with 3,000 passengers and another 1,000 crew members and think of how many hotels and motels it would take to house them all. Add to that the 2,000 automobiles those 4,000 people would drive at a land-based resort.

I think you'd have at least as many injuries, diseases, rapes, murders and missing people as on the cruise ship. Probably more.

Wow isn't he lucky. Fell right into a life boat. Too think he could have fallen into that cold water :furious: Like so many others. Or those that chose to jump from sheer terror. Or those who couldn't save themselves or be saved and died in a cold watery grave :banghead: Appalling statement.

Absolutely everything that the lily-livered Captain has said is appalling, and the guy obviously doesn't tell the truth :liar: Gee, I wonder if he's related to that family in Orlando ;)

LOL not only did he trip and "fall" into the boat, he had to wait an hour to get it into the water. LOL this guy is a trip!

He tripped and fell into the lifeboat
He waited until the passengers were off the ship before disembarking
The rocks weren't on his chart

Ok, all explained, not his fault.

I esp liked this part

“The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. (From above link)

How rude of those passengers.

Yeah I'm almost waiting for Zanny to appear in the "story" :banghead:

...But let's take a cruise ship with 3,000 passengers and another 1,000 crew members and think of how many hotels and motels it would take to house them all. Add to that the 2,000 automobiles those 4,000 people would drive at a land-based resort.

I think you'd have at least as many injuries, diseases, rapes, murders and missing people as on the cruise ship. Probably more.

Many years ago (sometime in the early '70s), DH and I were evacuated in the wee hours (@2:00AM) from the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. We first heard the fire alarm followed by a loudspeaker announcement for all guests and staff to leave the building.

It was winter, cold, and snowy, so DH and I put on shoes and socks, coats, hats, gloves and took only wallet and purse with us. Elevators were inoperable, so everyone had to use the dimly-lit stairwells. Once on the ground level, we were ushered outside and ordered to move away from the building - basically into the street. By this time, there were several fire trucks and other rescue vehicles, and we later learned that there had been a small kitchen fire.

I don't know how many rooms are in this old hotel that is still open in Toronto, but the edifice is HUGE. Had the fire spread beyond the kitchen area, I'm sure that there would have been injuries or even fatalities. We were at least dressed for the elements, but folks who were in bars, restaurants, etc. were not dressed warmly, and we stood out in the cold for about an hour before the Fire Marshal gave clearance for guests to enter the building. Since that incident, DH and I always check out the exit/stairwell locations in any hotel, and we do exactly the same thing on a ship.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who perished in the wake of the Concordia tragedy and for those who are still missing.

The latest from the Daily Mail

'Only a disgraceful man would have left all those passengers on board': Hero captain who co-ordinated evacuation slams Schettino

• Captain Roberto Bosio was off-duty but still organised entire rescue effort
  • 'It was the most horrible experience of my life. A tragedy, a heartache that I will carry with me forever'
  • Captain Mario Palombo said Schettino was 'a braggart, a show-off and drove the ship like a Ferrari'
  • Italian divers suspend search as capsized ship shifts slightly on its rocky resting place
  • Increased fears liner could plummet 100m to bottom of the sea
  • Confirmed death toll stands at 11, with 24 still missing
  • Concerns grow of environmental disaster over 500,000 gallons of fuel
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Schettino-disgraceful-man.html#ixzz1jqRz66O2

HLN covering the Concordia disaster now. Hosted by Vinnie Politan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Desireh
Back