Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ya that scares me silly

There is no way that I would feel safe with a tilt of this magnitude. The people don’t look concerned though.

The sides don’t look as tall as they look on a regular yacht. I’m not familiar with the details but I’d call it a large sail boat.

There is no way that I would feel safe with a tilt of this magnitude. The people don’t look concerned though.

The sides don’t look as tall as they look on a regular yacht. I’m not familiar with the details but I’d call it a large sail boat.
A sailing yacht is a sailboat, any boat with a mast and sail, regardless of size and type, is a sailboat. Yacht is a boat type with a length of more than 10 metres (33 feet), and they can either be sail- or motorpowered.

In this photo taken previously it looks like the yacht is about to turn over. The water is right up to it.
View attachment 526068
It seems to be under full sail, and it has a keel, its not about to turn over, it's a normal tilt for sailboats, and it was built for that. If the mast was to break, then there might be danger, as that would shift the balance of the yacht.

A sailing yacht is a sailboat, any boat with a mast and sail, regardless of size and type, is a sailboat. Yacht is a boat type with a length of more than 10 metres (33 feet), and they can either be sail- or motorpowered.

This is so interesting
(from links above)

"The term, yacht, originates from the Dutch word jacht (pl. jachten), which means "hunt", and originally referred to light, fast sailing vessels that the Dutch Republic navy used to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries."

1724318895991.png

An 18th - century Dutch "jacht"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces