Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No warnings? :rolleyes:
With weather conditions there?

"Other experts questioned
why the crew wasn’t paying closer attention to various weather warnings ahead of the tragedy.

'I don’t know if there was anyone on board consulting the radar.

Let’s say that if I had been on board, at the first sign of a thunderstorm, I would have woken up all the occupants and been ready and alert with lifejackets on until the storm was over',
one of Italy’s leading climate experts said."

Yes, well -- I was referring to your own attached link from the NYP; that described the 'black swan phenomenon' , and how quickly it can overtake a boat of any size....regardless of the cloudy weather.
Basically the wind whipping up and behaving differently over a body of water ?

Described as rare, unexpected, and without warning :

"....The spontaneous formation of a tornado-like waterspout would have given the 22 passengers and crew aboard the luxury vessel little to no time to react..."

Swift and deadly.
I was with friends on a smaller boat on just a lake (lake Superior), & not the ocean ; and the waves came up on a fairly sunny day.
We were tossed all over the place, and that is not something I want to repeat.
Eek.
Omo.

Last edited:
That's what happened with the Conception. Most of the crew weren't trapped below deck (the only crew member who was below deck died with the passengers), so it was far easier for the crew to escape.
The crew probably knew the ship better than the passengers. And.... there can be multiple ways to move around a super yacht- if one knows the "secret passages".

The one I very briefly worked on had a series of hidden passageways that allowed crew to move around the yacht with out being seen by the owner or guests.

Rather, we could suddenly "appear" in an area to take care of owner or guest requests, set / clean tables etc. Then, quickly "disappear" with out having to cut through VIP areas. The designer's intent was to give the VIPs the hour by hour impression that they were alone on the super yacht.

Neat design features aside, If the yacht had such passage ways, they would give crew other escape options if the main routes were blocked. Heck, even some owners might not even be aware of the full extent of the passageways- especially if they viewed the super yacht as an occasional "toy" among many super toys.

Last edited:
Oh I think I have that wrong. I think it was five couples (including one with the baby) and Hannah, occupying the six rooms.
There were five couples onboard, a baby, and a teenager (Hannah). Three of the couples were middle aged/older, and two were younger (in their 30s?), both the younger couples survived, as well as Angela Bacares. Hannah would have had a suit on her own.
Here's a list of the guests, and some of the crew onboard.

Interesting that the yacht manufacturer, states that the boat should not have been at anchor. I am just surprised that every single crew member, aside from the chef was on the deck. It sounds like the passengers were not given information about how severe the storm was.

Interesting that the yacht manufacturer, states that the boat should not have been at anchor. I am just surprised that every single crew member, aside from the chef was on the deck. It sounds like the passengers were not given information about how severe the storm was.

IMO everyone is lining up their 'pass the buck' strategy, because the weather forecast is calling for heavy lawsuits.

JMO

The crew probably knew the ship better than the passengers. And.... there can be multiple ways to move around a super yacht- if one knows the "secret passages".

The one I very briefly worked on had a series of hidden passageways that allowed crew to move around the yacht with out being seen by the owner or guests.

Rather, we could suddenly "appear" in an area to take care of owner or guest requests, set / clean tables etc. Then, quickly "disappear" with out having to cut through VIP areas. The designer's intent was to give the VIPs the hour by hour impression that they were alone on the super yacht.

Neat design features aside, If the yacht had such passage ways, they would give crew other escape options if the main routes were blocked. Heck, even some owners might not even be aware of the full extent of the passageways- especially if they viewed the super yacht as an occasional "toy" among many super toys.
Thanks for sharing your insight. I found this all very interesting. Nice to see things from more of a “crew” perspective & consider these possibilities w/regard to the passages & such.

IMO usually the safest place in a storm is below deck, lying on your bunk so you don't get tossed about and sustain injuries.
The crew would likely have been working hard to secure everything on the deck, so they were on-deck. Trying to keep the yacht as safe as possible.

Whoever made the decision to not come in close to shore made an unwise decision. This might have been the crew's captain, or it might have been the boat's owner - sometimes an owner overrules the crew.

imo

*************************Post of the Day********************
IMO everyone is lining up their 'pass the buck' strategy, because the weather forecast is calling for heavy lawsuits.
JMO

@Cedars You nailed it.
The local forecast is now calling for HEAVY LAWSUITS.
Time for everyone involved to don HazMat suits &
ready the Personal Protection Equipment.
imo
(added to my post)

The local forecast is now calling for HEAVY LAWSUITS.
Time for everyone involved to don HazMat suits &
ready the Personal Protection Equipment.
imo
(added to my post)
Some weather forecasts are restricted to local areas.

The owner of the yacht was British and the yacht was built in Italy. I guess lawyers could target the crew staffing company (if one was used)- but that is probably largely an internet site and could be anywhere.

I dont know what kind of weather for lawsuits British and Italian legal systems offer. Evidently, the Japanese weather for law suits is.... frozen into a solid "no" with no hope for thaw. Likewise, the Irish government / courts once declared that they will not cooperate in anyway with facilitating US based lawsuits (think it had something to do with freezing a US businessman's assets).

The British and Italian lawsuit forecasts might be warmer- by how much, I have no idea. But.... I doubt that they are anywhere near as hot as the US lawsuit forecast.

In short, it could still be smooth sailing.....

Last edited:
IMO usually the safest place in a storm is below deck, lying on your bunk so you don't get tossed about and sustain injuries.
The crew would likely have been working hard to secure everything on the deck, so they were on-deck. Trying to keep the yacht as safe as possible.

Whoever made the decision to not come in close to shore made an unwise decision. This might have been the crew's captain, or it might have been the boat's owner - sometimes an owner overrules the crew.

imo

Interesting. Possibly. However, at sea the captain is supposed to be in charge of the ship.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothieQuota
Back