New Zealand - Yanfei Bao, 44, Real Estate Agent - Christchurch, South Island 19 July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In answer to the above real estate questions, Auctions are extremely normal here in NZ and especially popular in Christchurch. Homes are shown to buyers at open homes or private viewings during the campaign. Door knocking an area is also completely normal, especially if you have an office or a listing in that area. Door knocking has definitely lessened in Christchurch since Yanfei went missing though.
(I am a real estate agent in Christchurch)

The one year mark of the disappearance and murder of Yanfei Bao was July 19. Still hoping she will be found and that justice will be served. Thinking of her loved ones bearing this horrible journey.

This article has an overview and timeline for the past year.

The police think that Yanfei's maternal family will be going to NZ (from China) for the 5-week trial. Yanfei's partner says that her family is struggling and absolutely shattered.

He also said .... despite challenging circumstances, Bao's daughter had displayed incredible resilience and received "substantial love and support" from family, friends and her school.

"It's truly inspiring to witness her ability to still find reasons to smile and be her authentic self in the midst of such adversity - a testament to her remarkable strength and bravery. Her mother would undoubtedly be deeply proud of her."

The police think that Yanfei's maternal family will be going to NZ (from China) for the 5-week trial. Yanfei's partner says that her family is struggling and absolutely shattered.

He also said .... despite challenging circumstances, Bao's daughter had displayed incredible resilience and received "substantial love and support" from family, friends and her school.

"It's truly inspiring to witness her ability to still find reasons to smile and be her authentic self in the midst of such adversity - a testament to her remarkable strength and bravery. Her mother would undoubtedly be deeply proud of her."

I tried to read up on the most recent threads.... but could not find.
Was there any close connection made between Yanfei and the suspect?

I tried to read up on the most recent threads.... but could not find.
Was there any close connection made between Yanfei and the suspect?

I don't think we know what the relationship was (if there was one). Other than perhaps a real estate agent-potential client relationship.

He is a Chinese national, Yanfei's maternal family lives in China.

It could be a simple as Yanfei was able to communicate with him in a Chinese dialect (from a sales aspect), or it could be more. I imagine we will find out at the trial in October.

imo

Using info from the article posted above, here is the approximate mapping of where Yanfei was last seen to where investigators found remains.
Bao was last seen alive arriving at a property for sale in Hornby’s Trevor St, where she was set to show a potential buyer through the house.
Police searching on farmland at Greenpark outside Christchurch after they received new information on missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao. Photo / Emily Ansell
The search, which involved more than 60 staff, was centred on land near the intersection of Hudsons and Clarks Rds.

1722309370658.png

Using the photo in the article & the descriptors mentioned, I found the area (using the barns/sheds & the green silo as markers):

Photo in article (credited to Emily Ansell):
NZ search.jpg
Google maps view:
Screenshot 2024-07-29.jpg

Using info from the article posted above, here is the approximate mapping of where Yanfei was last seen to where investigators found remains.

View attachment 521323

Using the photo in the article & the descriptors mentioned, I found the area (using the barns/sheds & the green silo as markers):

Photo in article (credited to Emily Ansell):
View attachment 521324
Google maps view:
View attachment 521332
That's not far at all. I feel like investigators have truly found her

Yanfei’s remains may have been found.

It does sound as if they have found her. I don't think they would have made the announcement unless they were 99.9% sure.

Thank goodness. Now her family can lay her to rest properly, and eventually have some kind of closure.

Sounds as if he buried her in haste. 150mm is only about 6 inches deep.

imo

"Our forensic examination team carefully removed the remains yesterday afternoon, and a postmortem is due to take place later today,” Reeves said in a statement this morning.

“This process will formally identify the remains and provide answers for the outstanding questions we have.”

"Our forensic examination team carefully removed the remains yesterday afternoon, and a postmortem is due to take place later today,” Reeves said in a statement this morning.

“This process will formally identify the remains and provide answers for the outstanding questions we have.”

I hadn't realised that the police had dropped the kidnapping charge. Presumably that means that they feel or have proof that Yanfei was murdered before being transported elsewhere.

imo

"'Recent information received by the investigations team has led police back to that location,' Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said." (from the 1news.co.nz article linked above)

A couple of interesting things I got from this statement. They said they went to this location to look for her remains after receiving recent information. So I wonder who they got this info from. Sounds like someone other than her killer knew where she was. Or I suppose they may have gotten the info directly from the suspect. He is in custody, right? Actually, that's probably what happened. If so, that sounds like a confession to me, so will there be a guilty plea?

Also, when they said, "back to this location," I wonder if that means they literally returned to this location, meaning this place had already been searched or at least visited before, in earlier investigation stages? Or they may have just used the word "back" to mean something like back behind the property or whatever.

"'Recent information received by the investigations team has led police back to that location,' Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said." (from the 1news.co.nz article linked above)

A couple of interesting things I got from this statement. They said they went to this location to look for her remains after receiving recent information. So I wonder who they got this info from. Sounds like someone other than her killer knew where she was. Or I suppose they may have gotten the info directly from the suspect. He is in custody, right? Actually, that's probably what happened. If so, that sounds like a confession to me, so will there be a guilty plea?

Also, when they said, "back to this location," I wonder if that means they literally returned to this location, meaning this place had already been searched or at least visited before, in earlier investigation stages? Or they may have just used the word "back" to mean something like back behind the property or whatever.

I was wondering if the police have been able to retrieve GPS location data from Yanfei or the alleged perpetrator's phones, or from a vehicle. And that is what led them to this more precise spot.

Sometimes it can take a while to discover an app that may provide the info, or to access the app.

We have seen how useful this can be in other cases - once the police can get into the app.

imo

Asked if it was frustrating not to have found Bao earlier, given police had searched the property before, Reeves said the whole year and 10 days had been frustrating.

“In terms of the information [that police received], no. Because I understand the process that’s had to go through for us to obtain that,” she said.

After the information was received, police had to do a significant amount of preparation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salorenz
Back