Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I take from that is that poor Hannah Lynch slept through it and died in her cabin whilst at least three of the other five, including Mike Lynch, were trying to escape when the yacht sank. By the first cabin on the left I take it this means the cabin on the left nearest the bow. This cabin is right next to the stairway up to the deck. If the yacht was rolling to the right and sinking by the stern, why head for the cabin to the left of the stairway rather than the stairway itself?
Perhaps the stairway became blocked and they ended up there because there might have initially been an airpocket for a short window of time.

(speculation)

There is a photo of the staircase here (the inset). It could be that there were strong waters pouring in along the staircase and those who were found in the cabin just couldn't traverse the staircase - which would now have been laying sideways.

a.jpg

Announcing the probe, prosecutor Ambrogio Cartosio said investigators found it was not the weather that caused the ship to sink, but was a result of the behavior of the crew and the way the boat was handled.
He added that the prosecutor’s office had “filed a dossier, at present against unknown persons, alleging the crime of negligent shipwreck and manslaughter.”

w-intl/index.html?cid=external-feeds_iluminar_yahoo

The United Kingdom’s Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said it has deployed a team of four inspectors to Palermo which is conducting a preliminary assessment of the scene.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom’s Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said it will
deploy a team of four inspectors to Palermo to conduct a preliminary assessment of the scene.

RBM.

This was odd, went to read both of the CNN articles that Yahoo sourced, and neither seem to indicate the manslaughter charges ?
Reading Yahoo articles can sometimes be as 'iffy' as reading the Daily Mail for accuracy.
Imo

From the second CNN link black & white security video, it appeared that the Bayesian was anchored further off I'm not sure there was negligence, but I'm certain the families of the deceased want this thoroughly investigated, and why the other ships or yachts in the area were not capsized ?
They want answers and I can't say I blame them.

If it was indeed a 'black swan' event, a rare tornado/waterspout -- as described in my earlier post -- there may not have been time to avert disaster ?
We'll see.
Omo.

Oh, this is awful, that poor child. My heart goes out to her mom and her sister.

I still am not clear on if there was a chance to try to use the second lifeboat? Or if there were safety drills by crew and also with passengers? Glad that lives were saved but that so many were crew is startling. I had kind of hope that many of the deceased may have been sleeping but does not sound that way. It's a shame that with the forecast storm there was not preparation and that passengers were not summoned to the deck and supplied with life jackets. It's not clear to me that there were enough since the boat seemed over occupied?

Horrible and seemingly potentially avoidable tragedy. MOOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenisaHerdzik
Back