Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Were the survivors wearing life jackets? If so, who was wearing life jackets and were they from the ship or the lifeboat itself?

Often, life jackets are stored in cabins. So the mother with the child possibly would have needed to return to her cabin to get her life jacket. Unless there were extras stored in the common area or on deck.
There are always life jackets stored on top deck or close to, as well as in the cabins as people shouldn’t need to return to the cabin to get a life vest.

• Life jackets must be strategically distributed throughout the vessel, readily available in cabins, passageways, and near muster stations.

Thank you for posting this. This is what I had been thinking all along, just as "common" knowledge but I hadn't looked up anything. That's why I felt surprised at so many early reports saying all passengers should have been on deck.

Speaking generally, I think the thought is that a boat is not going to sink. If going on that assumption, it seems dangerous to have passengers on deck during a tumultuous storm as there is a liklihood they could be swept overboard, as well as they could get injured or be in the way of working crew during that time. Also, even if a ship takes on some water, it's ok. There are usually hatches to shut to localize the issue, etc. Obviously, in some cases, there are times when everyone is brought on deck because the decision has been made to abandon ship.

If there was a downdraft as has been suggested, I think the impact was catastrophic very quickly. And there may not have been an official decision/process to abandon ship because events transpired quickly/survivors may have been washed overboard. If the electrical systems had already failed, how would they have made an announcement to the lower berths?

Just musing and MOO only.

There was a large part of the deck that was a covered passenger area. To me, it seems like the passengers should have been directed there as soon as the crew was aware the ship was taking on water with the situation deteriorating, especially during a severe storm that would worsen the flooding. I think if everyone had been moved to the covered passenger area on deck, most if not all of them would be alive today. It's not all or nothing where you are either abandoning ship or doing nothing with the passengers. Just as a safety precaution take action because you're sinking until you've stopped yourself from sinking, which the situation kept going from bad to worse where they sunk.

If I was notified, I would do as instructed. That being said, I have never been on a ship that doesn’t instruct you to at least get your life jacket on- no matter where you are then told to muster. Most muster stations are below deck and I assume you would then be taken to your life raft. That is my personal experience of cruising, although some have mustered on the decks. This is obviously a different style of ship, but had they put on life jackets and gathered at a muster point in the lounge- things would have potentially been different. It’s shocking the fact that it’s being reported the crew were on the life raft first and a mother and baby sleeping on deck ended up in the water- that suggests even with a tight schedule something went very wrong with regards the safety of the passengers.
I still am confused as to how sleeping on the deck with a baby was at all safe esp with rough seas. Of course, it turned out to save their lives, thank goodness. All so tragic. MOOO.

There are always life jackets stored on top deck or close to, as well as in the cabins as people shouldn’t need to return to the cabin to get a life vest.

I agree and that makes sense. But how many extras were stored on deck, where were they, and did passengers know where they were/how to access them? If crew hurriedly grabbed life vests from deck while dealing with a quickly changing situation, were there enough available on deck for all passengers too?

The life boat they were found in was an inflatable, correct? Was there only of of those on board with the other(s) being hard shell/needing to be lowered with ropes?

I agree and that makes sense. But how many extras were stored on deck, where were they, and did passengers know where they were/how to access them? If crew hurriedly grabbed life vests from deck while dealing with a quickly changing situation, were there enough available on deck for all passengers too?

The life boat they were found in was an inflatable, correct? Was there only of of those on board with the other(s) being hard shell/needing to be lowered with ropes?
I believe the situation you describe re: life boats is what has been stated in the media. The inflatable was reported to be over capacity. MOOO.

• Life jackets must be strategically distributed throughout the vessel, readily available in cabins, passageways, and near muster stations.

I'm absolutely appalled by the nonchalance regarding Safety rules on this "super duper unsinkable" yacht :oops:

I only sailed as a teen with brother, Dad and his friends.

But the Captain was a true professional,
always alert, with his eyes either on the sky or a radar.

His motto was:
"Hope for the best
but
Prepare for the worst."

None of his passengers (many kids) were left dead at the bottom of the lake/sea.

Ahoj Sea Master ♥️

There was a large part of the deck that was a covered passenger area. To me, it seems like the passengers should have been directed there as soon as the crew was aware the ship was taking on water with the situation deteriorating, especially during a severe storm that would worsen the flooding. I think if everyone had been moved to the covered passenger area on deck, most if not all of them would be alive today. It's not all or nothing where you are either abandoning ship or doing nothing with the passengers. Just as a safety precaution take action because you're sinking until you've stopped yourself from sinking, which the situation kept going from bad to worse where they sunk.

I agree. But there are reports of glass breaking so it may have been an unsafe area to gather. I wonder how quickly the electrical system went out and if that hindered rousing guests to get on deck asap?

I think there were multiple mistakes during a rapidly deteriorating situation.

Also, while crew may expect problems, I think passengers expect to be safe. Assuming a lack of communication from crew, I think passengers may have been slower to react or unsure of what to do. If things are going crazy, a passenger might think it safer to *not* be on deck (possibility of going overboard) vs. worrying about becoming trapped in a room (because they probably never imagined the ship would sink).

MOO.

"Second British crew member being investigated over Bayesian disaster -

after £30m superyacht's chief engineer revealed."

1724866448114.png

I don't understand why someone so young would be on overnight watch when severe weather was forecast, why were they not on higher alert, crew and passengers? Why did they respond so differently than nearby boats did to the predicted weather? MOOO.
My guess is that the following attitudes were involved:

- Over loaded migrant ships have sunk around Sicily. But...super yachts just don't sink. This is a super yacht- Hey, check this bathing platform bling out! Just need open the hull door.... .

- We rely heavily on automated everything to sail this super yacht. So far, the big brain computer has not given any warnings about anything. So... smooth sailing is in the forecast- as always.

- The captain must have taken appropriate action because appropriate actions are taken by captains- right?

Last edited:
It sounds to me like there was a significant amount of "clutter" and debris, that made it difficult for the rescue divers to do recovery.

On our boat, everything was tied down, or in a secured hatch. No large pieces of furniture, it was all secured around the side of the boat. I wonder if this boat, as a large, show piece, was set up more like a fancy house, rather than an actual functional ship. That may have contributed to the problems for passengers to get out.

There was a tender raft also available- which is a more solid boat, stored in the side of the boat. There has been speculation that this was one of the open hatches that flooded and caused the boat to sink quicker. If you follow that basis they were hopefully trying to access and release the other boat. That being said the water is warm there and even in the water with a life jacket that close to the shore they would have probably survived without a life raft being available. With regards knowing what to do in an emergency, all passengers and crew should have been informed- it’s the first thing done on cruises and ferries to have a drill and sound the alarm so you are aware.

@branmuffin
So I found some photos - there were windows in at least some of the staterooms - if you go here you can see a room with 3 portholes - BAYESIAN Yacht Photos (ex. Salute) - Perini Navi Yachts
Here's a better image of the Bayesian from the side. As you can see there doesn't appear to be any evidence of windows (these would be the fixed elongated oval portholes seen in the stateroom pictures). Either the design very cleverly embedded them in the hull to flow seamlessly or they are just above the water line. I presume the image of the 3 porthole window stateroom is the master stateroom since there are no other images of sleeping arrangements.

Based on the schematics, the master bedroom/cabin was at the beamiest (widest) location with the suite running from 3 windows/portholes on the starboard side (right) to one porthole in the bathroom suite on the port side (left). There are two separate suites also on the starboard side next to the master that have one porthole each. On the portside there are 3 suites that have portholes; one has one, the others have two. Since that's the side the boat listed to, if passengers were still in those cabins when the boat listed to port, they may have been inundated and unable to get out. The crew cabins at the bow of the ship have no portholes at all which I would think is pretty common. Sounds claustrophobic but many people travel on cruise ships in interior cabins that have no windows or portholes. They are the cheapest accommodations but have many of the same amenities as outside cabins.

When I look at the schematics it appears that the crew would have been able to exit this boat a heck of a lot easier than the passengers. The stairs leading down to the sleeping accommodations are closest to the crew cabins. That makes sense because just like in stately old homes that had servants, staircases that accessed the kitchens, etc. were in the area where the help lived. If you look at the layout you see many areas where doors can be closed to maintain privacy and be completely sealed off.

Attachments

• bayesian side view.jpg
    bayesian side view.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 4
Like the Titanic resulted in better safety measures and standards, I think this tragedy will also result in better safety measures and standards for "smaller"/private crafts.

I do wonder what, if any, safety rules and information were covered prior to initially setting out. My gut says that if anything was covered, it was very casual and not emphasized so as not to cause unease or worry among guests on a luxury vessel.

MOO.

Blessing for sailors says:

"May the seas lie smooth before you.
May a gentle breeze forever fill your sails.
May sunshine warm your face,
And kindness warm your soul."

But sometimes
the mighty Poseidon -
God of Seas and
the protector of seafarers -
speaks:

"I will not let you come back to your home this easily!
You must defeat my last obstacle".

Memories from my sailing days.
The Captain loved telling tales
Aye Captain, My Captain :)

Last edited:
I agree. But there are reports of glass breaking so it may have been an unsafe area to gather. I wonder how quickly the electrical system went out and if that hindered rousing guests to get on deck asap?

I think there were multiple mistakes during a rapidly deteriorating situation.

Also, while crew may expect problems, I think passengers expect to be safe. Assuming a lack of communication from crew, I think passengers may have been slower to react or unsure of what to do. If things are going crazy, a passenger might think it safer to *not* be on deck (possibility of going overboard) vs. worrying about becoming trapped in a room (because they probably never imagined the ship would sink).

MOO.

I think that was a design flaw with how much glass was around, but if you're sinking with the situation getting worse, you have to get people ready. I do think the passengers expected to be safe or were physically unable to get on deck. I do wonder if perhaps the captain had a concussion as it doesn't seem like the crew were acting like they were sinking but rather just doing stuff to respond to the weather...clearing the deck of debris, which it doesn't sound like the crew was working on clearing the passenger area though. The members of the crew that were cleaning should have instead been assigned to getting the passengers on deck unless and until the ship stopped sinking.

I don't understand why someone so young would be on overnight watch when severe weather was forecast, why were they not on higher alert, crew and passengers? Why did they respond so differently than nearby boats did to the predicted weather? MOOO.
The captain is on shift during the day when moving, docking- overnight he will be on call, but asleep

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manipulikka
Back