Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the jokes about Japan are in bad taste and people being offended by them have nothing to do with having no sense of humor. Thousands of people have died and making jokes while you are living a comfortable life in the U.S. just makes you look ignorant, attention-seeking, and lacking compassion.

While I tend to agree, currently, I have the choice to laugh or vomit all over my keyboard as I worry about the future, not for myself, but for my babies...

Ok - math teacher here. I saved my notes from last nigt concerning these "microsieverts" and "milisieverts"

microsieverts are a smaller denomination that a milisievert.

A milisievert is equal to 1000 x a microsievert.

3200 microsieverts is 6 x higher than normal readings so

approx 500 microsieverts is a NORMAL reading.

500 microsieverts = 0.5 milisieverts

So, 0.5 milisieverts is a normal reading.

If I see any readings posted in any articles I will pay close attention.

I'm posting this for everyone to keep close as a reference to "normal readings".

I think the jokes about Japan are in bad taste and people being offended by them have nothing to do with having no sense of humor. Thousands of people have died and making jokes while you are living a comfortable life in the U.S. just makes you look ignorant, attention-seeking, and lacking compassion.

I'm not a political person, and I don't believe this man's jokes were political. But...do you know how many thousands died in the Bataan death march?

This in no way equates to that, he was just making jokes, and quite frankly, I would rather laugh at death, and myself, than cry. Life will go on, no matter what.

FOX reporting that Japan is going to ask our military to fly over the reactors with helicopters and "spray" them (didn't say with what).

And yes, containment has been breeched at reactor #2 - per IAEA

Some people have no sense of humor. The fact is though, I'd rather go out laughing, and laughter is good, than go out in cowering, paralizing fear. I'd rather leave 'em laughing.

Bad taste? Probably. I guess. Not sure. Sometimes I think this mess is a big joke on the universe, civilization, if you can call it that. Why not laugh? Can any of us do anything about it? Our governments and experts can't, and I do think that is funny.

What will be will be, whether we enjoy the joke or not.

Oh i'd totally rather go out laughing than not and can usually find a little bit of humor in everything.. but joking at the expense of the people who have died by the thousands is just not ok....

Joking during the tragedy is ok... a lot of us me included need to release some nervous energy...sometimes I choose to laugh rather than to cry..
Joking ABOUT the dying people during this tragedy.. not ok

I can, if you like, post the cancer stats for my county... we were the way the wind blew from TMI... It's amazing to see the recorded vs expected rates of some cancers here...

I completely agree. I have a pretty wicked sense of humor, most everyone here knows that. I am not always in good taste, but I try to be pretty PC most of the time. The day after the quake, one of my Facebook friends, and also RL friend, posted on Facebook to the effect of "Haha, stupid Japan". When I asked him what in the holy blue blazes that was supposed to mean, he said that they didn't get to higher ground and that was just stupid of them...
I believe that he and many others, just can't grasp the scope of this. I told him that Japan was pretty well prepared for this and if he thought we would fare much better, then he was being pretty dumb himself. He said he would "wait it out on the roof." A thirty foot high wave of water, and he says he would wait it out on the roof of his one story house...

So many people are just unable to comprehend.

Oh i'd totally rather go out laughing than not and can usually find a little bit of humor in everything.. but joking at the expense of the people who have died by the thousands is just not ok....

Joking during the tragedy is ok... a lot of us me included need to release some nervous energy...sometimes I choose to laugh rather than to cry..
Joking ABOUT the dying people during this tragedy.. not ok

Do you remember the Challenger tragedy and the teacher, Christy Whitman?
We all watched this in horror - yet - the jokes went around and most of us laughed, albeit a bit furtive. Do you want to hear some? Like how do we know Christy had dandruff?

Not being snarky, just saying this always happens, relieves the tension, and kind of puts things into perspective. Life does go on.

I can, if you like, post the cancer stats for my county... we were the way the wind blew from TMI... It's amazing to see the recorded vs expected rates of some cancers here...

Yes, I would like to see them.

Do you remember the Challenger tragedy and the teacher, Christy Whitman?
We all watched this in horror - yet - the jokes went around and most of us laughed, albeit a bit furtive. Do you want to hear some? Like how do we know Christy had dandruff?

Not being snarky, just saying this always happens, relieves the tension, and kind of puts things into perspective. Life does go on.

I was really young I don't remember any jokes about it...

FOX reporting that Japan is going to ask our military to fly over the reactors with helicopters and "spray" them (didn't say with what).

And yes, containment has been breeched at reactor #2 - per IAEA
at chernobyl they sprayed with boric acid.... (than dumped sand and finally lead)

Revised information on the previous earthquake that was reported as a 6.0 at 1331, upgraded to 6.2 according to USGS; however, Kyodo reports it as 6.4.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc00023fx.php

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 13:31:46 UTC
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 10:31:46 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region
EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
36 km (22 miles) S of Kofu, Honshu, Japan
37 km (22 miles) NW of Numazu, Honshu, Japan
42 km (26 miles) NNE of Shizuoka, Honshu, Japan
116 km (72 miles) WSW of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 12.1 km (7.5 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters
NST=358, Nph=379, Dmin=135.8 km, Rmss=0.79 sec, Gp= 40°,
M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=D
Source
USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc00023fx

M6.4 quake jolts Shizuoka, vicinity
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78331.html

Haven't we already heard about them using boric acid mixed with the sea water?

I was really young I don't remember any jokes about it...
Oh I do. It was Christa McAuliffe. The only "joke" I remember is the color of her eyes.

Yes, it is a way to relieve tension, but is it in good taste?

The first, measuring 6.2 in magnitude, struck Tuesday night off the coast of Fukushima prefecture, 200 miles (325 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo and near where a massive quake hit last week.

Three minutes later, a second 6.0-magnitude quake rumbled under Shizuoka prefecture, 55 miles (90 kilometers) southwest of Tokyo.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=13139570

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member