Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toxicology

Based on mammalian median lethal dose (LD50) rating of 2,660 mg/kg body mass, boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled in large quantities. However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt.[4] The Thirteenth Edition of the Merck Index indicates that the LD50 of boric acid is 5.14 g/kg for oral dosages given to rats, and that 5 to 20 g/kg has produced death in adult humans. The LD50 of sodium chloride is reported to be 3.75 g/kg in rats according to the Merck Index.
Long term exposure to boric acid may be of more concern, causing kidney damage and eventually kidney failure (see links below). Although it does not appear to be carcinogenic, studies in dogs have reported testicular atrophy after exposure to 32 mg/kg bw/day for 90 days. This level is far lower than the LD50.[5]
According to boric acid IUCLID Dataset published by the European Commission, boric acid in high doses shows significant developmental toxicity and teratogenicity in rabbit, rat, and mouse fetuses as well as cardiovascular defects, skeletal variations, mild kidney lesions.[6] As a consequence, in August 2008, in the 30th ATP to EU directive 67/548/EEC, the EC decided to amend its classification as reprotoxic category 2 and to apply the risk phrases R60 (may impair fertility) and R61 (may cause harm to the unborn child).[7][8][9][10][11]
At a recent European Diagnostics Manufacturing Association (EDMA) Meeting several new additions to the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) candidate list in relation to the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of Chemicals Regulations 2007 (REACH) were discussed. The registration and review completed as part of REACH has meant the current classification of Boric Acid CAS 10043-35-3 / 11113-50-1 as of 1 December 2010 will be listed as H360FD (May damage fertility. May damage the unborn child.) [12] [13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Here in rural New York, we buy boric acid as an ant killer. You can also mix it with peroxide and vinegar and it kills leaf mold and other stains. It is used safely here in restaurants and kitchens ... not that you would want to inhale it or not be careful - but otherwise it is a very common bug/pest preventive powder.

11.43pm: The fire in reactor 4 has now been brought under control, the Japanese government is now saying, according to the AFP news agency.

It reportedly took hold because the fire on Tuesday morning (JST) was never properly extinguished.

11.35pm: Minoru Ogoda, a spokesman for the Japanese nuclear safety agency, tells AFP: "We have received information [from Tepco] that the fire and smoke is now invisible, and it appears to have gone out of its own accord."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/15/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-japan

Here in rural New York, we buy boric acid as an ant killer. You can also mix it with peroxide and vinegar and it kills leaf mold and other stains. It is used safely here in restaurants and kitchens ... not that you would want to inhale it or not be careful - but otherwise it is a very common bug/pest preventive powder.

Yeah, you can use it cleaning pools too, but not in the amount we are talking about dumping on the reactor, lol.

At Their Own Risk: What Will Happen To The Fukushima Workers

Excerpt:
It's clearly too dangerous to send workers directly into the belly of the beast. That's why the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), which operates the plant, briefly considered – though have now apparently rejected – a scheme to send in military helicopters to dump water on the overheating spent-fuel rods at the No. 4 reactor. The reactor reportedly suffered a hydrogen explosion and fire on Tuesday that burned away parts of the roof that encloses the reactor.

and

Nuclear safety expert David Lochbaum says: "The dose rates at the railing of the pool...would be high enough that you would receive a lethal dose in something like 16 seconds," Lochbaum says. "The high dose precludes a lot of worker actions, or turns them into suicide missions."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...l-happen-to-the-fukushima-workers?ps=sh_sthdl

Yep - the old "20 Mule Team" box. Down here we spread it outside to help kill fleas and you can also "sweep" it into the nap of your carpet to control fleas. I have a big ole box right now in my laundry room.

at this point the only people I would trust on the fire being under control is the fukashima 50...

God bless them all.

Yep - the old "20 Mule Team" box. Down here we spread it outside to help kill fleas and you can also "sweep" it into the nap of your carpet to control fleas. I have a big ole box right now in my laundry room.

I have a big box of it too, but my ants won't touch it. :sigh:

Because i was the only one i saw who stated they bought some that is why i feel it was directed at me plus my post was the 1 quoted... I just didn't want anyone thinking i was buying them all up.....that is all :)

peeples okay that's fine we're cool :)

I just want to go ahead and say for the record here:

I am never sarcastic online---ever. Because I'm never sarcastic in real life (long story) but never.

I might get sassy but I make sure everyone knows I am :)

I would never disrespect your thoughts and your opinions only because they vary from mine.

I promise that. :)

So if I read harsh and I didn't preface by saying "I know this is going to sound harsh...etc..." I don't mean it that way. I'm usually sitting here chilling out in my pj's most days...reading and posting haha. :D

I hope it's out! And perhaps.....CNN is behind times. Imagine that.

I've used borax to make my own laundry soap... was an interesting experiment LOL didn't like it!

peeples okay that's fine we're cool :)

I just want to go ahead and say for the record here:

I am never sarcastic online---ever. Because I'm never sarcastic in real life (long story) but never.

I might get sassy but I make sure everyone knows I am :)

I would never disrespect your thoughts and your opinions only because they vary from mine.

I promise that. :)

So if I read harsh and I didn't preface by saying "I know this is going to sound harsh...etc..." I don't mean it that way. I'm usually sitting here chilling out in my pj's most days...reading and posting haha. :D

Sounds good :)
:grouphug::hug:

I think people maybe getting overly spooked in some areas. I think for some reason humans think they can sometime slow the tide of a disaster. If it's gonna hit hard nothing is gonna help u.

Once japan is out if the news no one will care anymore. It's human nature. So far there is no threat to the u.s. As I've said before, here in Texas it's business as usual and the crisis in japan was barely on the evening news.

What will effect us is the financial fall out to our stocks, electronics market and possible any other exports from japan. That is what the governments are worried about. That is what effects all of us world wide. Practically, even if the nuclear reactors blow the Japanese government and nuclear organizations will evacuate as much as they can, assess the fallout to other nations and follow a containment plan. If push comes to shove japan may have to be restructured accordingly. It's a bleak future either way. Thousands of years of culture destroyed. The Japanese people are rare. No looting or acting crazy. I can't say the same for america. If the same happened here it would be mass hysteria. I agree with the government policy of non disclosure if indeed one day things hit he fan. Americans would fall apart.

Ok, so, if they are 70% damaged, does that mean they are 30 % away from a complete meltdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck