Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's out! And perhaps.....CNN is behind times. Imagine that.
Well, we'll just have to wait and see what Anderson Cooper has to say about that. ;) He just tweeted that he'll be broadcasting live from Japan tonight at 10 EDT.

Bessie, Anderson is the ONLY talking head I can stand listening to.

but but but (I"m just full of buts tonite ain't i?) - reactor number 1 was the only one that was being cooled and not showing signs of distress on that one link from this afternoon - wait, I'll go look for it.

You are correct.

Here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/15/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-japan

it shows reactor number 1 as not having any real problems

ETA: This from the above - and its very recent:

Here's a summary of the latest events in Japan and its worsening nuclear crisis:

• Fears of a catastrophe at the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan escalated following a third explosion and a fire in another reactor that caused radiation to rise to harmful levels.

Have we heard about this THIRD explosion?

Fire at Fourth Reactor: Is Worse Yet to Come in the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster?

Excerpt:
The nightmare scenario, however, would unfold if rescue workers fail in their frantic attempts to cool the fuel rods, as they've been trying to do for several days. "The likelihood is low but it still exists," Savin says. "If one reactor has a full meltdown, and you reach a critical mass of melted nuclear fuel built up inside the reactor, it could cause an atomic explosion." Other experts say they wouldn't use the word "explosion" for such an incident. Says Alexander Uvarov, the editor of Atominfo, a Russian online journal on the nuclear industry: "I wouldn't personally use that phrase, simply because in the public mind that phrase evokes the image of Hiroshima. But yes, it is an explosion, or perhaps more like a very large burst."

Such a blast would certainly not have nearly as much force as an atom bomb, Savin agrees, but it would pump a large radioactive cloud into the atmosphere that could then be carried by the wind. "That's when the situation would start to look a lot more like Chernobyl for many years to come." Adds Uvarov: "The best way to prevent that is by covering the fuel with a thick layer of water, as they've been trying to do [at Fukushima]. Of course that water will continue to steam away from the super-hot fuel, but if the layer is thick enough you would not have that explosion." But, he adds, "if the melted fuel does gather inside the reactor and is exposed to the air, it could indeed explode, and that would spray all kinds of nasty particles into the atmosphere."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2059232,00.html#ixzz1GimBlWEn

You read my mind Quiche - I was just thinking about that. And what would happened if reactor 4 does "explode" or "burst"? Would that explosion be powerful enough to blow out the cooling water in the other reactors - leaving those rods exposed and then would they explode as well?

Fukushima Daichii plant has 6 reactors. As far as I can tell there was an explosion a couple of days ago in BOTH reactors 1 & 3---their roofs were blown off as seen in numerous satellite photos. Reactor 2 has not had an explosion but is in danger of partial meltdown. #4 had a fire in the spent fuel rods pool, supposedly put out, now it is burning again. There are fears that there may be a crack in the wall of #4 thereby allowing radiation to leak. #5 & #6 are now supposedly in danger of overheating. Reactors at Danaii are okay and have achieved cooldown status. Does this summary seem correct as of now??

My "Mamaw", had this advice: "Watch the animals, they know if something bad is coming". well, my great dane has his basketball in his mouth and is standing there butting his head up against the wall. Anyone know what that might mean? :waitasec:

You are speaking of that dog of yours that is like what 7 feet tall?:woohoo::rocker:

Thanks for my laugh today Teh. You are one in a million. Wish you would snap a pic of ole Murdock,lol.

ETA: Your Mamaw was correct IMO...the animals always know first.

Fukushima Daichii plant has 6 reactors. As far as I can tell there was an explosion a couple of days ago in BOTH reactors 1 & 3---their roofs were blown off as seen in numerous satellite photos. Reactor 2 has not had an explosion but is in danger of partial meltdown. #4 had a fire in the spent fuel rods pool, supposedly put out, now it is burning again. There are fears that there may be a crack in the wall of #4 thereby allowing radiation to leak. #5 & #6 are now supposedly in danger of overheating. Reactors at Danaii are okay and have achieved cooldown status. Does this summary seem correct as of now??
Yes but I just posted above from the Guardian link that there has been a THIRD explosion - there is no clarification on just what "exploded"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman