Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first it was talked about in RADS, now we have millisieverts, how many RADS are in 400 millisieverts?

Then I shall delete it.....TY JBean, I should have known Drudge was behind.
No don't delete it! Just letting you know that they report the information out of order and it is filtered, so posting the source. It still happened!
The updates from the watchdogs are factual and straightforward with no drama LOL. I ASSume they verify as much as possible.

Ya know its funny. Hurricane Andrew - we actually ended up loosing a stack from Turkey Point (which is one of our nuclear facilities). I remember hearing about the assessment - that the hurricane had cracked one of the stacks and that they were going to take it down. Then I remember watching on TV when they "blew it up" and demolished it. Never really thought about "all of this" at the time. Wow. If I only knew.

BTW - Hurricane Andrew came ashore AT Turkey Point. It was the wind readings they got from there that caused Andrew to be classified as a 5.

EPA deploys more radiation monitors to the West Coast

Excerpt:
As public concern grows about radiation from Japan possibly drifting to the West Coast of the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday announced that it will deploy more electronic monitors that measure radiation levels in the air.

The monitors of gamma radiation and radioactive particles, will be set up in "parts of the Western U.S. and U.S. territories," the agency said in a statement.

and

The EPA has 124 air monitors already in place in its "Rad-Net" system to measure radiation, including 12 in California and two in Hawaii. One is located in San Francisco, on the roof of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District. Others are located in San Jose, Sacramento, Fresno, Los Angeles and San Diego. The EPA
Advertisement
also has 40 mobile monitors, some of which are now being deployed. The agency clarified that some would go to Guam, Hawaii and Alaska, but did not respond to questions about California.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_17621522?nclick_check=1

Has anyone found a good side by side comparison of the radiation levels at TMI, Chernobyl and Japan?

Radiation hot line open for concerned Californians; health officials reassert that there's no risk expected

snip
What we’re being told is that there is no threat to California at this time,” said Mike Sicilia, a spokesman for the California Department of Public Health. “It’s a matter of distance. Dangerous radioactivity could not cross the 5,0000 miles of the Pacific without petering out.

snip

Potassium iodide poses a risk to pregnant and nursing women, those with thyroid problems, allergies to iodine and shellfish, Sicilia said.

“We are not recommending it. Don’t take it. It’s useless,” he said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...icials-who-say-no-risk-expected-to-state.html

...at this time. No one will give an approximation after a meltdown, or two, or three, or four, or five, or six. jmo

Has anyone found a good side by side comparison of the radiation levels at TMI, Chernobyl and Japan?

Shoot, I can't even find an agreed upon size of the release for TMI. Liability issues... imo.

Even so, many experts here say that this emergency is nowhere near the level of Chernobyl, the worst nuclear disaster in history.
For one, that reactor's core contained graphite that caught fire, which blasted radiation high into the air and into wind currents that carried it long distances. The Japanese core is metal and contains no graphite, experts said.
The Chernobyl plant also lacked a heavy shell around the reactor core. And the incident there happened quickly, with little time to warn nearby residents

http://www.muscatinejournal.com/news/national/article_0c9ce390-8313-5013-aa44-f47c6e152256.html

That's what I'm getting at JBean, I think if they put up a simple side by side chart, it would calm people down. Every site you look at uses different terms for levels and it's quite confusing for most people. IDK why they don't make it simple.

Last Defense at Troubled Reactors: 50 Japanese Workers

Excerpt:
A small crew of technicians, braving radiation and fire, became the only people remaining at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station on Tuesday — and perhaps Japan’s last chance of preventing a broader nuclear catastrophe.

They crawl through labyrinths of equipment in utter darkness pierced only by their flashlights, listening for periodic explosions as hydrogen gas escaping from crippled reactors ignites on contact with air.

They breathe through uncomfortable respirators or carry heavy oxygen tanks on their backs. They wear white, full-body jumpsuits with snug-fitting hoods that provide scant protection from the invisible radiation sleeting through their bodies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/world/asia/16workers.html

That's what I'm getting at JBean, I think if they put up a simple side by side chart, it would calm people down. Every site you look at uses different terms for levels and it's quite confusing for most people. IDK why they don't make it simple.
I don't think it can even be compared to Chernobyl. But in the case of TMI, I don't think the outer containment shell was ever penetrated so that would possibly make this worse? But I think many other factors come into play when determining "worse".

Just like earthquakes, in that you can't say a 7 is worse than a 6 unless you know location,location,location and depth. I was kind of shocked when I originally read that our nuke station, San Onofre, was built to withstand a 7.0 EQ. I thought jeez is that all? Then I read it would withstand a 7.0 directly under it and THAT is huge.IOW, comparing just numbers without all the other variables could be more confusing. Sort of like this post,LOL.

I don't think it can even be compared to Chernobyl. But in the case of TMI, I don't think the outer containment shell was ever penetrated so that would possibly make this worse? But I think many other factors come into play when determining "worse".

Just like earthquakes, in that you can't say a 7 is worse than a 6 unless you know location,location,location and depth. I was kind of shocked when I originally read that our nuke station, San Onofre, was built to withstand a 7.0 EQ. I thought jeez is that all? Then I read it would withstand a 7.0 directly under it and THAT is huge.IOW, comparing just numbers without all the other variables could be more confusing. Sort of like this post,LOL.

Not a comparison of the ACCIDENTS, only the radiation levels. Plain and simple, nuttin' fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman