Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
considering how far away media is going to be safe ((re: anderson cooper)) and also the no fly zone...

how does that make the rest of you guys feel???

I personally do not like it one bit. We are now to rely on speculation and sporadic big brother speak....

this is getting to be very frightening...

Japanese nuclear plant workers emerging as heroic figures in tragedy.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDbnVjbGVhcnBsYW50

Amid the horror and devastation of the nuclear crisis in Japan, it can be easy to miss the heroism of the 50 emergency workers now trying to prevent the full meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. It's not great exaggeration to say that the safety of thousands of Japanese citizens now hinges on the efforts of the crew of cleanup workers left behind after the remainder of the nuclear complex's roughly 800 employees have been evacuated amid hazardous levels of radiation. Even in a cultural tradition that places a premium on self-sacrifice, these ordinary workers are being extraordinarily selfless -- and could conceivably make the ultimate sacrifice in pursuit of their fellow citizens' well-being.

Just who these 50 workers are remains something of a mystery. Their employer, the Tokyo Electric Company, has refrained from providing any media outlet with details about them. But after a new explosion at the plant this morning, their fate may be becoming more perilous by the minute; as nuclear power consultant Arnold Gundersen told the New York Times, it's likely the company has approached older plant retirees with a sobering invitation to provide reinforcements to the plant safety crew. Plant managers "may also be asking for people to volunteer to receive additional exposure," Gundersen told the Times' Henry Fountain.
(end snip)

This is horrible. Really, really horrible. As a person on earth, it is much more disturbing for me to think of the people in Japan dealing with this radiation than the quake. Mother nature came, yes. It happened. It is now over.

Thinking of what is going on now, with the radiation is disturbing in a way a natural disaster is not for me. A natural disaster does not disturb my soul and wear on my mind.

:twocents:

I am confused (understatement, probably.) If the radiation spreads, all over the world, to the extent that everyone is being affected...plants would die, etc...what would be the purpose of taking the iodine or whatever it is? If it gets over here, wouldn't it be kind of like "the end of the world"? Is it just a panic reaction?

I know I said it before, but I don't want to be one of the last people on earth.

Problem surface at another reactor at Fukushima (#4)

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...japan-reactor-damage-20110315,0,2517772.story

Quote:
But each reactor has a spent fuel pool on its roof. Those are also not as hot as a shut-down reactor but they do require cooling, and all of them lost their cooling after the earthquake. A fire broke out Tuesday in the pool atop reactor no. 4, but was extinguished fairly quickly.

I didn't know that.

Japan has continued to rate its escalating nuclear crisis at four out of a possible seven, behind the 1979 Three Mile Island accident in the United States, which was rated five, and the 1986 Chernobyl accident, with was rated a maximum seven.

But France's Nuclear Safety Authority said the disaster now equated to a six on the seven-point international scale for nuclear accidents, ranking the crisis second only in gravity to Chernobyl.

Europe's energy commissioner Guenther Oettinger dubbed the nuclear disaster an "apocalypse", saying Tokyo had almost lost control of events at the Fukushima plant.

"There is talk of an apocalypse and I think the word is particularly well chosen," he said in remarks to the European Parliament.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/env...-remain-above-safe-limits-20110316-1bw9e.html

Okay, I figured out some of the reason I was so confused. Japan says it's a 4 out of 7 as nuclear disasters go, but the French Nuclear Safety Authority says it's a 6 out of 7.

WHy is this rating a subjective number?

Geologist on FOX news was just predicting a California quake on the 19th or 20th. Supposedly he is the same one who predicted the "World Series" quake correctly. He also states that the massive fish kill from the 8th in California is a common sign of animal response to impending quakes.

jmo

anyone have a link to that house that was found floating out at sea today - not the one with the old man - this was just an intact house

[4:48 p.m. ET Tuesday, 5:48 a.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] The U.S. military has blocked access to a range of websites to free up bandwidth for use in Japan recovery efforts, according to a spokesman for U.S. Strategic Command.

The sites - including YouTube, ESPN, Amazon, eBay and MTV - were chosen not because of their content but because of their popularity among users of military computers, spokesman Rodney Ellison said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/1...s-in-fourth-reactor-radiation-warning-issued/

Um sure, whatever they say...no particular reason. When this leads to a military block on facebook and twitter as well, then we'll know what the real intention was. :innocent:

Ok thaaaat freaks me out.....

no - this was a picture released by our Navy that was an intact hosue found loating out at sea - it was taken from oneo f our helicopters - I saw it all over the TV this morning but now I can't find it

I have the site for the Geiger counter in Tokyo on one of my windows and have been checking it every couple of hours. I feel like I cannot get accurate information from the Japanese gov't (and to an extent I can understand that) nor from our media---they are fed information and then regurgitate it to us. So here is an OBJECTIVE way to measure the radiation in Tokyo (which is, I think, 170 miles south of the Fukushima plants). At 1:00 ET it read 14:56 (it fluctuates constantly but only by a little bit). At 3pm it was 16:45. Now it is reading 18.51 cpm (don't know what "cpm" means but the increase can't be a good thing). Here is the link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/geiger-counter-tokyo

Two more reactors unstable at Japan nuke plant

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42084187/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/

Excerpt:
Plant operators were considering the removal of panels from units 5 and 6 reactor buildings to prevent a possible buildup of hydrogen," the International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement.

"It was a buildup of hydrogen at units 1, 2, and 3 that led to explosions at the Dai-ichi facilities in recent days," it added.

Units 5 and 6 at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant were full of nuclear fuel but not producing when Friday's quake and tsunami struck. They had been considered stable, but on Tuesday a senior Japanese official said temperatures there were also slightly elevated.

Japan has continued to rate its escalating nuclear crisis at four out of a possible seven, behind the 1979 Three Mile Island accident in the United States, which was rated five, and the 1986 Chernobyl accident, with was rated a maximum seven.

But France's Nuclear Safety Authority said the disaster now equated to a six on the seven-point international scale for nuclear accidents, ranking the crisis second only in gravity to Chernobyl.

Europe's energy commissioner Guenther Oettinger dubbed the nuclear disaster an "apocalypse", saying Tokyo had almost lost control of events at the Fukushima plant.

"There is talk of an apocalypse and I think the word is particularly well chosen," he said in remarks to the European Parliament.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/env...-remain-above-safe-limits-20110316-1bw9e.html

Okay, I figured out some of the reason I was so confused. Japan says it's a 4 out of 7 as nuclear disasters go, but the French Nuclear Safety Authority says it's a 6 out of 7.

WHy is this rating a subjective number?

7 – Major Accident
6 – Serious Accident
5 – Accident With Wider Consequences
4 – Accident With Local Consequences
3 – Serious Incident
2 – Incident
1 – Anomaly
0 – Deviation (No Safety Significance)

It depends on the amount of radiation released and impact to people and the environment.

I could say "We had a significant release" but you could say "It was a limited release (compared to what could have been released)."

JMO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members