Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the helicopter dumps are doing is causing the release of radioactive steam... jmo

I know I'm way behind, but I would like to say that I believe that. In one of the documentaries I watched yesterday, said that there is a little known sect of elders that still lives in or on the fringes of the Chernobyl site, having been allowed to return (or doin git anyway) after they could not adjust to life away from what they had known. They know the risks and in fact, many of them have died, but they prefer to live out and die the rest of the time they have in the place they know and love.

With the culture and devotion to it shown by the Japanese people, especially those that are older and more deeply mired in their culture, that does not surprise me. If it were us, would I leave my home, all my memories, everything I own for a life of being shuffled through refugee camps and living in conditions that are possibly just as hard as the radiation is to live through?
If it were just me, without my children, I would likely bunker down, take the precautions I could and wait to see how bad it would get.

This is their choice and although it may be a bit foolhardy, I respect them for it.

I really honestly haven't watched the Chernobyl footage, prolly cause I'm too sensitive of a person and I'm avoiding. But, I appreciate everyone's input on the info. That... is amazing. What my husband and I were discussing last night was, according to our friend, they were elders. And we guessed they were prolly around during the atomic bomb era, etc., were used to going it on their own. We had the same convo, that if I were an elder and my children were gone, I'd do the same thing. Stay there. But, you are forced with heavier choices when you are younger and have children. I respect them for their decision too. My friend is conflicted cause he doesn't have children, and although he was pseudo-raised there, he's really from Sri Lanka. It's a long story but.... What you said about the elders in Russia is amazing. And makes sense.

What happens if "they" just walk away? We know that at at least 2 reactors there are exposed fuel rods that are hot. If "they " walk away then those rods heat to a point and then "meltdown" into a mess. Then what? How long does it talk before anyone can get in there to clean it up or cover them up or bury them or what?

Fox news just said after the dump of water there is weird white smoke that the japanese deny being there... ???

Then i had to deal with a runny nose.. so i don't know what else they said

Ah-choo with most of it (hopefully) dissipating before it reaches any US land (including Hawaii).

Once again, I am NOT qualified to make such statements. So please, do not hunt me down if I am wrong.

I'm sharpening my pitchfork right now!! HA! Just kidding.... I think all along I've been gathering that info based on the president's statements, etc. Soooo... it was just comforting to hear it again. I'm not worried about ME even... just our children. And their future. Maybe no tuna for a while.

Oh and I apologize for the "don't touch the tuna" zona. I read back and I didn't realize how....... yeah.

helicopter pilot said he can see down into the pool talking about reactor #4

No mention if there is still water in it though

Not much.. they didn't elaborate at all just that he said he could see down in but he didn't say if he saw water in there or not

Shepard smith is the one who boradcasted it.. i guess the pilot told him

Fox news just said after the dump of water there is weird white smoke that the japanese deny being there... ???

Then i had to deal with a runny nose.. so i don't know what else they said

Let's just hope this is all you, and everyone else, have to deal with in the near future.

My word, I hope for a better outcome than what my imagination is drumming up right now.

Yes, and 5 and 6 are actually all spent fuel-- I do recall seeing a 150 for #6.

eta: oh, bird flu in several parts of the country? yikes

carp, I don't like this...

http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfe...d-in-chiba-culling-of-35000-birds/609566.html

In Wa at Hanford all the nuclear waste is buried on site with very specific regulations. That seems much safer to me than storing it in a reactor, eh? No fires !!!

Does the Bird Flu often make it's rounds in the Orient/Japan?

Just caught this on the running banner:

The Japanese government is looking into the deaths of 14 evacuees at Fukushima prefecture once they arrived at the shelter (not exact but close).

Does that mean some people got to a shelter and then died? hhhmmmmm......

gotta watch for this.

Presser said #5 spent fuel pools are lowering and pressure is building. In the next breath #6 was mentioned in that scenario. They want the power in order to get the "makeshift" pumps to maintain their "health." (my words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm