Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some on operation extension cord--

Japan Nuclear Watch, Mon Nite(JST): Power! Unit Three Smoking, Radiation Spreads

Excerpt:
Power to the Units. Over the weekend, plant officials were able to complete laying transmission cables to transmit electric power from the grid to Units 1 and 2; they’re now completing connections to Units 3 and 4. There are reports they were able to connect to terminal/hubs providing power to a central control room between Units 1 and 2.

As of 8:30 am Monday (EDT), they have not attempted to turn on the cooling systems at Units 1 and 2. They’re still testing gauges, water temps, and other equipment to determine water levels and temperatures, and thus which pumping/cooling equipment needs to be tested for restarting. So even though they have power, the normal cooling systems are not yet functioning and we don’t yet know what equipment will work.

more at link

http://my.firedoglake.com/scarecrow...tch-monday-nite-jst-power-but-unit-3-smoking/

Not good news, I posted of the concrete pumpers the other night. What we still haven't heard was news on the extension cord and success of water pumps or not.

I really want to hear what some other countries are doing for Japan, every country should come together to be shipping food and water, necessary items to Japan. There needs to be a distribution network, an extensive one.

Every country needs to step up and lend support to Japans recovery.

You can find most of the updates on who is assisting here, under the sectors:
http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/dbc.nsf/doc108?OpenForm&emid=EQ-2011-000028-JPN&rc=3

anderson cooper is tweeting that taylor anderson, the english teacher from us missing, body was found....so sad.

Nuclear accident 'beyond belief'

Quote: Conditions at the plant have remained volatile since the earthquake and tsunami wrecked it. Early on Monday, a plume of smoke rose from two reactor units prompting workers to evacuate.

In another setback, the plant's operator said it had just discovered that some of the cooling system's key pumps at the complex's troubled Unit 2 no longer worked - meaning replacements have to be brought in.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...a3ca60ViZwXwzYePQ?docId=N0118621300695654226A

I really don't know why they don't cut their losses and seal the four damaged units. The reason I said before that it wouldn't matter if they restored energy, was mainly because there was prolly extensive damage to those four reactors already; rods already exposed and "melting" or the electrical system within the reactors so damaged, that by the time they could get them fixed is moot. Reactors 5 & 6, as reported anyway, are prolly ok, I hope.

Anyone heard anything on the common pool storage facility?...Here's info on the tanks:

The government Monday also planned to engage tanks of the Self-Defense Forces to clear quake-created building rubble near the reactors. Use of trucks for the job has not been possible because of the high-level of radiation at those locations.

Earlier I posted that I was supposed to have "thyroid uptake" done tomorrow - received a phone call saying "the isotope pill I'm supposed to take, is at a shortage!" !!! My appointment was postponed to Wednesday, when they will have a new supply! So even hospitals are at a shortage of these iodide pills!!

and again THANKS to all for all the great links!

Nuclear accident 'beyond belief'

Quote: Conditions at the plant have remained volatile since the earthquake and tsunami wrecked it. Early on Monday, a plume of smoke rose from two reactor units prompting workers to evacuate.

In another setback, the plant's operator said it had just discovered that some of the cooling system's key pumps at the complex's troubled Unit 2 no longer worked - meaning replacements have to be brought in.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...a3ca60ViZwXwzYePQ?docId=N0118621300695654226A

Yes, I've been wondering if the pumps would work whether they got electricity or not.

And let's face it ~ electricity doesn't work well in the presence of radiation. If there's electrical damage from the earthquake too it can arc, and with all that water around it seems to me it might be like throwing a radio into a bathtub.

I truly think some of these measures are just going through the motions to buy time while they keep searching tsunami areas and getting people from different countries out of there. Germany, England, and the U.S. have been sending buses to affected areas but those have picked up almost all the survivors now.

What's horrible is that we are all sitting here talking about how horribly traumatized we were or would have been by the drills in school...I hope we aren't forgetting the hundreds or thousands of kids that were sitting in the schools in Japan for the 20 minutes of the sirens before they were hit with a 30 foot wall of water. And those that have heard those sirens most every day since, knowing that it isn't a drill and there isn't anywhere left to run. Dear God, it never ends for them.

No one's forgotten and no one has suggested a "duck and cover" drill is in any way the equivalent of an actual earthquake and tsunami.

But while you're on the subject, our air raid drills of the 1960s were nothing compared to the air raid drills practiced by Japanese children during the 1940s, when being bombed by American B-52s was an everyday threat. Japanese children were also led in exercises where they--armed only with sticks and broom handles--practiced repelling American invaders in hand-to-hand combat. I'm sure that inspired a nightmare or two as well.

No one was equating the anxiety produced by a drill with the very real tragedy still unfolding on the other side of the Pacific. But it was a Sunday and we weren't getting much information from Japan.

UPDATE 4-Japan nuclear progress tempered by seawater concern

Excerpt:
NEW YORK/LONDON, March 21 (Reuters) - The reconnection of power at the earthquake-damaged reactors in Japan is a big step in managing the nuclear crisis, experts said on Monday, but concerns about radiation in the air, seawater and food showed the dangers are far from over.

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (9501.T: Quote) (TEPCO) on Monday said radiation at much higher levels than normal was found in the Pacific Ocean near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which may have been related to rain in the area and the hosing of the reactors with seawater.

Some nuclear experts however questioned whether TEPCO might be dumping some of the seawater used to cool the Daiichi reactor cores and spent fuel pools back into the Pacific.

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFN2110314520110321?sp=true

:(

UPDATE 4-Japan nuclear progress tempered by seawater concern

Excerpt:
NEW YORK/LONDON, March 21 (Reuters) - The reconnection of power at the earthquake-damaged reactors in Japan is a big step in managing the nuclear crisis, experts said on Monday, but concerns about radiation in the air, seawater and food showed the dangers are far from over.

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (9501.T: Quote) (TEPCO) on Monday said radiation at much higher levels than normal was found in the Pacific Ocean near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which may have been related to rain in the area and the hosing of the reactors with seawater.

Some nuclear experts however questioned whether TEPCO might be dumping some of the seawater used to cool the Daiichi reactor cores and spent fuel pools back into the Pacific.

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFN2110314520110321?sp=true

:(

BBM: Isn't this the moment when Godzilla wakes up and marches up onto land?

(My apologizes to those who don't appreciate humor in the midst of tragedy. But, really, aren't we at the point where it's virtually impossible to feel worse?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503