Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan fails to stop radioactive discharge into ocean

(Reuters) - Japanese nuclear power plant operator TEPCO expects to stop pumping radioactive water into the ocean on Monday, days later than planned...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/10/us-japan-idUSTRE72A0SS20110410

Quiche as far as I know this i statement in the article is wrong. It is fresh water they are taking out of reactors that are shutdown that they are discharging. But like it all, what do you believe?

The nuclear plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), has been pumping sea water into the reactors to cool the nuclear core, and then discharging the water, after it has become contaminated, back into the Pacific Ocean.

Quiche as far as I know this i statement in the article is wrong. It is fresh water they are taking out of reactors that are shutdown that they are discharging. But like it all, what do you believe?

The nuclear plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), has been pumping sea water into the reactors to cool the nuclear core, and then discharging the water, after it has become contaminated, back into the Pacific Ocean.

They pumped seawater for weeks, and last week or so started with the fresh. I don't know why they would differentiate, it's all poison now!

They pumped seawater for weeks, and last week or so started with the fresh. I don't know why they would differentiate, it's all poison now!

The fresh water they are intentionally dumping in the sea is from 2 reactors that never had any problem and were shut down quick and cooled right. They are going to then pump the highly radioactive water from the tunnels into those reactors they just emptied to store it.

I don't believe a word tepco says. :snooty:
MOO IMO etc....:maddening:

I found this technical drawing that explains it.

fesseldrawing.jpg

NBC nightly news just showed a 5,000 person demonstration in front of tepco.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/08/japan.nuclear.crisis/

Tidbits:

… A month into the crisis, the utility acknowledges, there is no end in sight. …Some Japanese experts now say the effort is in danger of failing unless Japan seeks more help from international experts to bring it to an end.

Tetsunari Iida, an engineer-turned-industry critic, said the situation is “beyond the reach” of Japan’s closely knit nuclear establishment.

…Experts say the overheated fuel rods are likely to have suffered extensive damage, and there is a complication for seemingly every advance.

…Tokyo Electric officials told CNN they can’t say when they’ll be able to restore those normal cooling.

The problems are so far "beyond the design capacity" of the plant that the Japanese are working in uncharted territory, said Michael Friedlander, a former senior operator at U.S. nuclear power plants.

…Satoshi Sato, a Japanese nuclear industry consultant, called the current line of attack a “waste of effort.” Plant instruments are likely damaged and unreliable because of the intense heat that was generated, and pumping more water into the reactors is only making the contamination problem worse, he said. “There is no happy end with their approach,” Sato told CNN. “They must change the approach. That’s something I’m sure of 100 percent.”

Japan set to extend nuclear evacuation zone

(Reuters) - Japan plans to extend the evacuation zone around its crippled nuclear plant because of high radiation levels, local media reported on Monday, with engineers no closer to regaining control of six reactors hit by a giant tsunami one month ago.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011...smid=twtr-reuters_ com&WT.z_smid_dest=Twitter

This is an updated version of an article I posted earlier today.

I'll say it again, like I said in the very beginning of this...

"You are a victim of your press."

IOW, think for yourselves.

Peace and prayers + hugs,
dsn

Thanks sirensong, I'd been wondering.

Good eyes Dr. Fessel, you called it, an event had occurred and now a second one.

Hydrogen explosions eh? I thought the nitrogen injections were supposed to reduce the Hydrogen, they must have been venting hydrogen again. I can't help but think hand held radio's must be the spark igniting the hydrogen. I'll have to look up the flash point in hydrogen. It's almost too late now, about all the containments are BOOM already. The only thing left in probably 4 reactors is the containment vessel itself and I question the concrete surrounding the containment surrounding the core vessels.

An aftershock of 7.1 is being reported in the news this morning but it was downgraded to a 6.6. Double check my numbers please.

150 tons of water = 35, 928 Gallons.

About 5 tanker trucks per 150,000 gallons

Not impossible but where to store it? I'm trying to remember how much the storage tanks hold at fuel farms. I know the fuel would be shipped to the fuel farms by barge. Ack, water water everywhere.

The question remains, what to do with contaminated radioactive water?

The only thing I can think of to gather the water without pumping it into the ocean is filling a convoy of tractor trailer tankers and disposing the contents into an empty gas storage tank somewhere. I can only think in gallons so tankers hold 8,000 gallons. A gallon weighs 8.35 pounds.

Quiche, outstanding updates...thanks to everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7RZteq6XY
Arnold "Arnie" Gundersen is chief engineer of energy consulting company Fairewinds Associates and a former nuclear power industry executive, and who has questioned the safety of the Westinghouse AP1000, a proposed third-generation nuclear reactor. Gundersen has also expressed concerns about the operation of the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant. He served as an expert witness in the investigation of the Three Mile Island accident.

~source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Gundersen

http://fairewinds.com/

I get up to check on our friends from Iowa, and I find that there was another 7.1 and the nuke plant had stopped work for a time. Goodness! Then I find out a tornado ripped through where some of our family lives and we can't get in touch with them, hopefully it's due to the power outage. I'm not liking the way the week is starting out.........

Japan on Monday widened the evacuation zone around a stricken nuclear plant exactly a month on from a huge natural disaster as another 7.1 magnitude quake and tsunami alert strained nerves anew.

A woman offers a silent prayer for the dead in Kesennuma, Miyagi Prefecture after a month after the tsunami devastation. Japan fell silent at 2:46 pm to mark exactly one month since a massive earthquake hit, spawning a devastating tsunami. AFP PHOTO / KAZUHIRO NOGI

The latest aftershock caused buildings to sway in the capital Tokyo, shortly after the nation had observed a minute's silence to remember the 13,000 people killed in the March 11 disaster and the 15,000 who officially remain missing.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/231483/new-7-1-quake-hits-japan-as-evacuation-zone-widens

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/84566.html

TOKYO, April 11, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. President Masataka Shimizu visited the Fukushima prefectural government office Monday afternoon to apologize for the nuclear disaster at its Fukushima Daiichi power plant, but Gov. Yuhei Sato has declined to meet him, according to officials from the utility and the prefectural government. ''What (the president) should prioritize now is to settle the nuclear plant's trouble, and he should do his utmost to do so,'' a local government official quoted the governor as saying and conveyed the message to the utility firm known as TEPCO. More at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc