Japan - 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami -Reactor Status, 2011 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The original article says "16 percent" not 1/3.

What am I not understanding or missing here?

16 percent is NOT 1/3rd like the "Before It's News" article I first posted indicates.

Although a 16 percent increase is still horrible!

See, now this is interesting.

As I struggle with my thyroid and the triple diagnoses, it has previously crossed my mind that there might be a radioactive reason for this. but I've not heard that it was as widespread (even at 16%, that's a HUGE number) as it seems to be.

This might be something I'll bring up to my endo next time I see her...

Hm...

Best-
Herding Cats

Fukushima Hero: Manager who foiled nuclear disaster dies of cancer
2013 07 09

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=25992

>>>snip

25991yoshida.jpg

The former head of Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, Masao Yoshida, has died of cancer.

Yoshida, 58, battled esophageal cancer and succumbed on July 9, 2013. His diagnosis of cancer came a few months after the nuclear disaster.

In going against corporate orders after the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami, Yoshida is believed to have prevented the world’s worst atomic disaster in 25 years...

Even two years after the disaster, as reported by TheAsahiShimbun, "radioactive cesium levels found in moss on a rooftop in downtown Fukushima exceeded 1.7 million becquerels". These "unusually high" readings come from rooftops 50 kilometres from the powerplant itself.

...Between the denials that rising Japanese child thyroid illnesses and Fukushima plant worker cancer deaths are unrelated to the 2011 disaster, and a Japanese government that is allegedly giving up on decontamination efforts, it’s becoming obvious that the ramifications from the disaster are rippling outward with with no signs of slowing down.

(article continues)

<<<snip

^ FanFrigginTastic.

Giving up on decontamination efforts? At least Ukraine is trying to redo the cover for theirs.

Report: Third of US West Coast Children Hit With Thyroid Problems Following Fukushima

http://beforeitsnews.com/health/201..._content=beforeit39snews-buttonsunderheadline

=====================================

I thought about starting a new thread in the up to the minute section but I didn't do it, if anybody else wants to or maybe ask a mod? I will alert my own post here for their consideration.

=====================================

I found the original report: http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=28599

I wonder if any other countries are seeing the same or similar increases?

What a shame. He had to feel at times that he was fighting against the Japanese government by himself. I hope he has found some kind of peace. I know his family is probably still suffering. I wish them the best. I'm sorry for their lost. I hope he is recognized as a hero and the people make it known he saved millions of lives.

Fukushima radioactive water leak an 'emergency'
5 August 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23578859

>>>snip

Japan's nuclear watchdog has said the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is facing a new "emergency" caused by a build-up of radioactive groundwater.

A barrier built to contain the water has already been breached, the Nuclear Regulatory Authority warned.

This means the amount of contaminated water seeping into the Pacific Ocean could accelerate rapidly, it said...

>>>...<<<

...Tepco admitted on Friday that a cumulative 20 trillion to 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium may have leaked into the sea since the disaster...

(article continues with cool interactive guide)

<<<snip

:scared:
It just never ends. At least the BBC is reporting...

Japan ponders freezing Fukushima ground to stop leaks
By Matt Smith, CNN
updated 4:43 AM EDT, Thu August 8, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/world/asia/japan-fukushima/index.html

>>>snip

Japan's prime minister Thursday ordered his government to find "multiple, speedy and sure" ways to stop the spread of radioactive groundwater around the meltdown-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant...
(...)

...Plant operator TEPCO has proposed freezing the ground around the site
TEPCO has proposed setting up a subterranean barrier around the plant by freezing the ground around it, preventing groundwater from leaking into the damaged plant and carrying radioactive particles with it as it seeps out...
(...)

...The plan to freeze the ground presents significant technical challenges. It could involve plunging thousands of tubes carrying a powerful coolant liquid deep into the ground surrounding the stricken reactor buildings.

The technology has been used before in the construction of tunnels, but never on the massive scale that the Fukushima plant would require...
(...)

"It's a present reality that the contaminated water is seeping out to the bay without us being able to control it," Ono said...
(...)

(article continues with video)

<<<snip

Cool. I wonder if this is even possible, given the amount of water we're talking about freezing.

Still, I'm glad somebody is finally thinking out of the box.

Well, thanks for finally admitting it TEPCO!
Can't give thanks for trying to make it seem like this is recent though. Some of us know that radiated water has been leaking into the oceans (they're all connected afterall) for the last 2.5 years.

I'm like a week late. I can't get upset over something that doesn't have a solution, so I took a little extra time to check up on the news story.

Well, thanks for finally admitting it TEPCO!
Can't give thanks for trying to make it seem like this is recent though. Some of us know that radiated water has been leaking into the oceans (they're all connected afterall) for the last 2.5 years.

I'm like a week late. I can't get upset over something that doesn't have a solution, so I took a little extra time to check up on the news story.
I feel you. Besides, it's so damned depressing...but I think we do have to care about this one. Maybe we can learn enough to prevent the same thing happening again.

Fukushima bay radiation levels highest since measurements began

posted on AUGUST 20, 2013 by JOHN HOFILENA in FEATURES, NATIONAL

Reports from Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), operator of the disaster-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, say that measurements of radioactive tritium in seawater – seeping out of the nuclear complex via groundwater into the sea – show levels at 4700 becquerels per liter, the highest tritium level in the measurement history. The highest tritium levels have come in the past 15 days, the same reports show.

TEPCO also revealed that the highest levels of radiation in seawater were detected near reactor 1. Previous measurements showed the levels at 3800 becquerels per liter near reactor 1, and 2600 becquerels per liter near reactor 2, but the measurements have been showing increased radiation levels in the past 2 weeks. This increase in the harbor’s seawater has been continuously rising since May, reports said.

http://japandailypress.com/fukushima-bay-radiation-levels-highest-since-measurements-began-2034175/

Japan's prime minister Thursday ordered his government to find "multiple, speedy and sure" ways to stop the spread of radioactive groundwater around the meltdown-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant...

re: bold; I don't think this is possible. Why isn't this blasted all over the news everyday? Maybe now they will stop building these @&$?&@$ things.

I have been watching this disaster for the last 2.5 years and cannot begin to explain how sad and depressed I feel about the ongoing destruction. That feeling now just runs in the background of my life. The fact that the Japanese have not given up is good, same with the people who have managed Chernobyl. But like others have mentioned, aging plants around the world are going to have to be addressed. It seems like we are going to face major issues for centuries to come, like the shear amount of plastic floating around and getting into the food chain. Just to name one.
But for most people I know, Fukushima has dropped below their radar. Forgotten probably. Maybe think it's been dealt with and no need to fret.

Coastal, thanks (??) for the video.

I'm a landlubber - I like being on the ocean, but live nowhere near the water. I have to say, if I saw the formerly full river/shoreline waters disappear, I'd be running for the hills. And people stayed to video it? Far more balls than I have.

As for the Fukushima shyte, I have often wondered why people aren't more 'concerned' about it. I think that it's because most folks have dismissed it, and those who haven't, see things as inevitable. There have been upticks in thyroid issues on the West Coast (no link, but I've heard/seen/read this several times), and I know that personally, I've stopped eating any and all fish.

That isn't enough, of course, but it's all I can do personally...but I watch vids, I pray, and I hope that folks...dunno...do something.

Poor Japan. Poor us.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

Coastal, thanks (??) for the video.

I'm a landlubber - I like being on the ocean, but live nowhere near the water. I have to say, if I saw the formerly full river/shoreline waters disappear, I'd be running for the hills. And people stayed to video it? Far more balls than I have.

As for the Fukushima shyte, I have often wondered why people aren't more 'concerned' about it. I think that it's because most folks have dismissed it, and those who haven't, see things as inevitable. There have been upticks in thyroid issues on the West Coast (no link, but I've heard/seen/read this several times), and I know that personally, I've stopped eating any and all fish.

That isn't enough, of course, but it's all I can do personally...but I watch vids, I pray, and I hope that folks...dunno...do something.

Poor Japan. Poor us.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats
You're welcome (?). I couldn't tear myself away from that video -it's like watching the end of the world happen in slow motion. First, there's just a tiny ripple on the surface of the water, looking like the tide is coming in or a gust of wind...then that wave Dominoes the small boats...and by the time the cameraman looks over his shoulder, the water is level with the bottom of the bridge. And it just keeps coming, and coming, and coming, and coming...

And the photographer just keeps filming, like he isn't really seeing what he's looking at. Like he can't make sense of it. Did you see those people on top of the building in the distance, with the fire burning towards them? I can't even imagine being one of them.

I get so angry about the radiation and the death and destruction it it sure to bring that I forget sometimes how truly terrible the tsunami itself was, and how massive.

heardingcats said:

I think most people aren't concerned because there's nothing that can be done to stop what's happened. The only way to stop it would have been to never build it on the friggin coast in an earthquake area. A lot of the other plants are in hurricane/earthquake areas as well. The ones in the Midwest are vulnerable to tornadoes too.

The one thing I've been wondering about is, back when this happened in April of 2011 (I know it happened in March) I was following a thread on a different forum, and one of the posters who seemed to know what he was talking about, hinted that if fukushima goes critical it could set of other plants miles away into going critical somehow. That is scaring the ***** outta me, because fuku won't be stable (if they are able to keep it stable for that long... i'm not gonna hold my breath) for many years.

On the plus side, I think I recall hearing that San Onfre in San Diego was shut down tho!

Fukushima leaks: Japan pledges $470m for 'ice wall'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23940214

Japan is to invest hundreds of millions of dollars into building a frozen wall around the Fukushima nuclear plant to stop leaks of radioactive water.

Government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said an estimated 47bn yen ($473m, £304m) would be allocated.

The leaks were getting worse and the government "felt it was essential to become involved to the greatest extent possible", Mr Suga said.

More at link with a video, pics and grafts of how this will work....hopefully

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn
Back