Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@FacelessPodcast, thank you for your response (btw, Tia stands for: “thanks in advance”, my wife would be quite upset if she thought I’d changed my name to Tia..!)

The following is all just speculation, just one possible theory:

I have no idea how deep the TMPD went on the restaurant worker (I’ll call him “R” as some others have) but if they didn’t go deep on “R”, I think they perhaps should. There are few references to him, but from what I’ve read, fellow employees said “R” was very off - unstable, and threatening. Possibly mentally ill. After the crime, several co-workers immediately pegged him as a possible suspect, especially based on age and appearance.

My questions would be (to TMPD):

-do you know “R”’s name? If you don’t, imo you need to find out. I understand the restaurant is long since closed, but maybe there were/are employment records. Are sole proprietors required to keep records like they do in the US for things like WC, SS, taxes, etc?

-what nationality was “R”?

-was “R” at work the next day - or any of the next few days (I’m sure odd schedule though due to holidays)? If he was, was his right hand bandaged?

-if “R” did not work in the next few days, did he simply disappear following the discovery of the Miyazawa family murders? What’s the story? Did he ever return to work? Whether he worked or not, co-workers apparently thought he should be looked at

-I understand that TMPD does not know the name of the man at the station 3 hrs north of Tokyo the next day with the grievously wounded right hand (I believe I read it was the right hand - with a cut so severe that you could see bone). It’s amazing to me that this man could have been treated for such a severe wound w/o having to provide any information. Even if insurance was not involved (I’m not sure how the healthcare system works in Japan - is it universal, no payment required?), it seems there should be a record of his treatment that would include a name.

I cannot find a link at the moment, but I also read that this mystery man at the station who sought treatment for his hand seemed unfazed by the severe injury. As if the pain didn’t affect him. Kind of an Anton Chigur thing. Very odd.

-were witnesses at the station - and witnesses who treated this man - shown a composite / e-fit of “R”? Did any of them think the man could have been “R”?

If TMPD don’t know who the man at the station was, how can they have ruled him out?

Maybe TMPD knows who “R” is and have ruled him out, but if they don’t know who he is - and if they don’t know his nationality, and if he resembled their composite suspect, and if (IF) the injured man at the station resembled “R”, I don’t see how.

If you Google “migrant workers in Japan”, you will find numerous search results that discuss Japan’s decades-long dire need for foreign workers. Due to the shrinking population over the past several decades (and maybe even going back to the early post-war years) Japan has desperately needed foreign workers at all skill levels. From what I’ve read, the situation today is virtually at crisis level.

This presents a conundrum though, as (imo) the Japanese government and Japanese people would prefer to keep their country and workforce homogeneous. Japanese. In short (again, jmo), the Japanese need migrant workers, but they only want the best. They also however need migrant workers who will perform the lowest level of labor - jobs that the Japanese themselves don’t want to do. This is not new. Many nations with declining populations find themselves in a similar predicament being similarly nationalistic.

In these instances, in a homogeneous nationalistic nation, it would not be surprising for a kind of caste system to develop, where foreign migrant workers (especially those doing menial labor) would be looked down upon. I can see how this could result in racism and discrimination - an underclass of migrant workers who are grossly underpaid, overworked, and looked down upon by the rest of society. I could also see it leading to resentment on the part of the migrant workers.

Could “R” (or any potential perp) have been just such a migrant worker or migrant student? Perhaps working a menial job - with a growing resentment (maybe even a hatred) of the Japanese people? Could he have been in Japan on a student visa?

Filipinos are the fourth biggest group in Japan’s foreign population. From the early 1980’s through 2000, the vast majority of OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) in Japan had been admitted on “entertainer” visas. Many worked “hostess” jobs, dancing and working (and “other” entertainment) in restaurants and bars and nightclubs -for extremely low wages. Many were housekeepers and caregivers. Visas were also granted to students. Most were 3-5 yr. In more recent years I think Japan has sought to bring in foreign workers with higher skill sets.

I think it’s possible that the perp in the Miyakawa murders might have been an OFW (possibly working a menial job, like part-time in a restaurant) or a young man on a student visa from the Philippines. Possibly somebody who had been living west of Tokyo for 6 mos or more. Are migrant workers and foreign students required to provide DNA samples in order to obtain a visa?

This is all just a theory, and I’m sure there are many things I have not considered.

From what I’ve read online though, I think the number of Filipinos working or studying in the Tokyo area in the late 90’s was around 50-60k. Direct flights from the Philippines to Japan are 5-7 hours. Many Filipinos saw Japan as an escape from poverty and crime. Destination airports included Osaka and Tokyo. Velkova trees grow in Osaka, Tokyo, and the northern Philippine. Hip packs are made in Osaka..

Apparently the knife handle wrapping technique (using a handkerchief) that the TMPD suspects was used by the perp in the Miyakawa murders is indigenous to Eastern China, but also to the northern Philippines (fish cleaning, other).

There is also a segment of the Philippine population that could have genetics from Spain and East Asia. A study in ‘09 suggests that approx. 53% of Filipino genes are from Southeast Asia and Oceania, 36% are from East Asia, and 5% are from Europe. There are descendants in the Philippines from the Spanish / European colonial period as well as from Persian Gulf and Arab sultanates formed from14th-15th century conquests.

I think the Edwards Air Base sand is a red herring. Jmo. There was an American air base in Luzon (Clark) but it was closed in the early 90’s. Again, I think the hip pack came from Osaka.

Were the Slazenger’s available in Angeles or Manila? How hard is the water used to wash clothes in the Philippines? Certainly a student could have had a fluorescent marker at one time in their hip pack. Also some skateboard tape.

I do not think the perp was the son of an American serviceman unless that serviceman was an Asian American (obvious due to DNA). But unless an Asian American serviceman’s offspring was never really “Americanized”, I don’t see such a person grabbing 4 barley teas over the other drinks. I also don’t think many young Asian American men - again, even those who have lived in Japan for several years - choosing to eat string beans with sesame seed. Idk, maybe somebody born in Japan or Korea or China to an Asian American service member who was also not very “Americanized”. But just how many of those are/were there?

Again, all just speculation, thinking out loud. I wonder whether enough could be learned (or was learned) from analysis of the DNA to rule out a Filipino? Was “R” a Filipino?

All jmo
Hahah apologies (though of course now forevermore you'll have to be known as Tia, a very nice name). Thank you for your thoughts, it's always good to see this case from another POV. Your points in order:

*I have no idea how deep the TMPD went on the restaurant worker (I’ll call him “R” as some others have) but if they didn’t go deep on “R”, I think they perhaps should. The problem is, we don't even know if he exists. Certainly, I can tell you first-hand that LE told me there has never been a solid suspect. This same answer is basically going to inform pretty much my whole reply.

-do you know “R”’s name? If you don’t, imo you need to find out. I understand the restaurant is long since closed, but maybe there were/are employment records. Are sole proprietors required to keep records like they do in the US for things like WC, SS, taxes, etc? Conveniently, the 'restaurant-owner forgot his name and didn't keep records.' Again, where these stories were published concerns me. Basically garbage publications with schoolgirl manga in them etc. All the more intriguing stories, including the book by Ichihashi, are, as respectfully as I can put this: incredible. Literally. The fact that none of the newspapers published this possibility, particularly when they have a direct line into the TMPD with the kissa club etc, would be enough for me to ignore this theory completely.

-what nationality was “R”? Unknown, if he exists at all.

-was “R” at work the next day - or any of the next few days (I’m sure odd schedule though due to holidays)? If he was, was his right hand bandaged? Again, unknown.

-if “R” did not work in the next few days, did he simply disappear following the discovery of the Miyazawa family murders? What’s the story? Did he ever return to work? Whether he worked or not, co-workers apparently thought he should be looked at. As above.

-I understand that TMPD does not know the name of the man at the station 3 hrs north of Tokyo the next day with the grievously wounded right hand (I believe I read it was the right hand - with a cut so severe that you could see bone). It’s amazing to me that this man could have been treated for such a severe wound w/o having to provide any information. Even if insurance was not involved (I’m not sure how the healthcare system works in Japan - is it universal, no payment required?), it seems there should be a record of his treatment that would include a name. I don't think first aid would keep any kind of record at a station or some such. Especially if you decline to give a name. They're not going to leave you bleeding on the platform. The Chief wouldn't go into specifics but he seemed very comfortable in dispelling the concept of the Tobbu-Nikko man.

I cannot find a link at the moment, but I also read that this mystery man at the station who sought treatment for his hand seemed unfazed by the severe injury. As if the pain didn’t affect him. Kind of an Anton Chigur thing. Very odd. This is the story, yes. I think this man did well exist. If you listen to Faceless, you'll see that the station staff wouldn't talk about it but locals would. The man exited the station but never returned. Given it's a mountain area and the end of the line, that tells me if he didn't return, it's possible he was going there to die. Which maybe also explains the attitude about the wound. At any rate, we know the terrain in that area can be treacherous. See the case of the French woman who went hiking up there and was never seen again.

-were witnesses at the station - and witnesses who treated this man - shown a composite / e-fit of “R”? Did any of them think the man could have been “R”? As above. I doubt very much there ever was any R, let alone an e-fit.

If TMPD don’t know who the man at the station was, how can they have ruled him out? Because he didn't exist.

If you Google “migrant workers in Japan”, you will find numerous search results that discuss Japan’s decades-long dire need for foreign workers. Due to the shrinking population over the past several decades (and maybe even going back to the early post-war years) Japan has desperately needed foreign workers at all skill levels. From what I’ve read, the situation today is virtually at crisis level. Agree but there isn't a great deal here that suggests a migrant worker. At a push, we have a Korean man (at least ethnically) with a relatively costly knife and brand new clothes who eats string beans, maybe likes squash or tennis, and wears Drakkar Noir. None of that fits with whatever my vague idea of a migrant worker would be. Let alone one that is able to pick up sand from the Mabori Beach region or Edwards Air Force base in California.

Could “R” (or any potential perp) have been just such a migrant worker or migrant student? Perhaps working a menial job - with a growing resentment (maybe even a hatred) of the Japanese people? Could he have been in Japan on a student visa? Well, the killer could have been either. But I would be astounded if, as a foreigner, that didn't include sufficient info for them to link to the crime scene (fingerprints for one). Which gets on to your next point.

I think it’s possible that the perp in the Miyakawa murders might have been an OFW (possibly working a menial job, like part-time in a restaurant) or a young man on a student visa from the Philippines. Possibly somebody who had been living west of Tokyo for 6 mos or more. Are migrant workers and foreign students required to provide DNA samples in order to obtain a visa? There is nothing here that concretely points to the Philippines beyond some vague talk of the way he put the handkerchief around the knife being 'Filipino or Chinese', similar to the practises of fish factory workers. Frankly, this is like saying the fact he wore French aftershave means it's impossible he's a French impressionist painter who lives in Paris. Essentially, a nothing. Moreover, the DNA, if we can rely on it, says nothing about the Philippines. And it would require a foreigner who has been able to stay in Japan for 23 years which sufficient money / resources to stay off the grid. Possible he's dead of course. But my money is on a foreigner who simply left.

There is also a segment of the Philippine population that could have genetics from Spain and East Asia. A study in ‘09 suggests that approx. 53% of Filipino genes are from Southeast Asia and Oceania, 36% are from East Asia, and 5% are from Europe. There are descendants in the Philippines from the Spanish / European colonial period as well as from Persian Gulf and Arab sultanates formed from14th-15th century conquests. I don't say it's impossible that there's no Filipino or Spanish heritage here. Only that the numbers are pointing to Korea. It seems to me you're reaching for a Filipino based on very little only to discount a concrete lead such as two types of sand and a way out of the country...

I think the Edwards Air Base sand is a red herring. Jmo. There was an American air base in Luzon (Clark) but it was closed in the early 90’s. Again, I think the hip pack came from Osaka. Why is it a red herring? Based on what? There is no talk of a Filipino airbase, but specifically one in California. Also, Mabori Beach is where Yokosuka US Naval Base is. I bought clothes in Tokyo and Osaka, it says zero about me other than I was, at one time, in those cities.

Were the Slazenger’s available in Angeles or Manila? How hard is the water used to wash clothes in the Philippines? Certainly a student could have had a fluorescent marker at one time in their hip pack. Also some skateboard tape.
Slazenger declined to answer our questions so we don't know. But it's never been proven that the shoes were NOT on sale in Japan, let alone ONLY in Korea. I do think the killer was a student. I have no idea about Filipino water. My gut feeling is it's neither here nor there. And the dye in the hip pack likely came from a marker pen. The skateboard tape has never been proven, as far as I understand it.

I do not think the perp was the son of an American serviceman unless that serviceman was an Asian American (obvious due to DNA). But unless an Asian American serviceman’s offspring was never really “Americanized”, I don’t see such a person grabbing 4 barley teas over the other drinks. I also don’t think many young Asian American men - again, even those who have lived in Japan for several years - choosing to eat string beans with sesame seed. Idk, maybe somebody born in Japan or Korea or China to an Asian American service member who was also not very “Americanized”. But just how many of those are/were there? I have seen this point a few times -- the idea that an American would not drink barley tea. Ignoring the fact that I have American nationality and have drunk barley tea with other Americans while in Japan, I find it hard to understanding the logic: how someone can make a generalisation about the habits of 300+ million people. Moreover, string beans and sesame seed is universal in Japan. Why could an American not have eaten locally before the murders? He has three choices in the fridge, why is it un-American to enjoy barley? Barley tea is one of the most commonly-sold drinks in Japan, at any vending machine (there are millions), it's always on the roster.

Again, all just speculation, thinking out loud. I wonder whether enough could be learned (or was learned) from analysis of the DNA to rule out a Filipino? Was “R” a Filipino? From the articles themselves, he's spoken of as Japanese. But I don't believe he exists so *shrug*

Well, articles online about mental health don't substitute for actually working in the field in the past. I'm not an expert either, but I once upon a time was a school counselor where I worked for a leading psychiatrist focusing on troubled minors, including those with violent actions like attempted first-degree homicide.

It's not that I'm saying there's no link to mental health, either! I do think the killer likely has some sort of personality disorder and ASD is a fair possibility. I'm saying that the notion that going through mental health records would lead to an answer is far more complicated for the reasons I listed above. Plus, doing that opens up a lot of vulnerable, harmless people to no small risk, while the likelihood of this leading to the actual suspect is so very small that I'd find it hard to justify from an ethical perspective. Especially if you look through the records of people who were minors at the time and who may have more or less completely recovered after treatment.

Basically, to me, the drawbacks to me outweigh the benefit because it's just so unlikely to lead to a benefit. Just my opinion, though, and of course you're welcome to disagree!

@FacelessPodcast, thank you for your response (btw, Tia stands for: “thanks in advance”, my wife would be quite upset if she thought I’d changed my name to Tia..!)

The following is all just speculation, just one possible theory:

I have no idea how deep the TMPD went on the restaurant worker (I’ll call him “R” as some others have) but if they didn’t go deep on “R”, I think they perhaps should. There are few references to him, but from what I’ve read, fellow employees said “R” was very off - unstable, and threatening. Possibly mentally ill. After the crime, several co-workers immediately pegged him as a possible suspect, especially based on age and appearance.

My questions would be (to TMPD):

-do you know “R”’s name? If you don’t, imo you need to find out. I understand the restaurant is long since closed, but maybe there were/are employment records. Are sole proprietors required to keep records like they do in the US for things like WC, SS, taxes, etc?

-what nationality was “R”?

-was “R” at work the next day - or any of the next few days (I’m sure odd schedule though due to holidays)? If he was, was his right hand bandaged?

-if “R” did not work in the next few days, did he simply disappear following the discovery of the Miyazawa family murders? What’s the story? Did he ever return to work? Whether he worked or not, co-workers apparently thought he should be looked at

-I understand that TMPD does not know the name of the man at the station 3 hrs north of Tokyo the next day with the grievously wounded right hand (I believe I read it was the right hand - with a cut so severe that you could see bone). It’s amazing to me that this man could have been treated for such a severe wound w/o having to provide any information. Even if insurance was not involved (I’m not sure how the healthcare system works in Japan - is it universal, no payment required?), it seems there should be a record of his treatment that would include a name.

I cannot find a link at the moment, but I also read that this mystery man at the station who sought treatment for his hand seemed unfazed by the severe injury. As if the pain didn’t affect him. Kind of an Anton Chigur thing. Very odd.

-were witnesses at the station - and witnesses who treated this man - shown a composite / e-fit of “R”? Did any of them think the man could have been “R”?

If TMPD don’t know who the man at the station was, how can they have ruled him out?

Maybe TMPD knows who “R” is and have ruled him out, but if they don’t know who he is - and if they don’t know his nationality, and if he resembled their composite suspect, and if (IF) the injured man at the station resembled “R”, I don’t see how.

If you Google “migrant workers in Japan”, you will find numerous search results that discuss Japan’s decades-long dire need for foreign workers. Due to the shrinking population over the past several decades (and maybe even going back to the early post-war years) Japan has desperately needed foreign workers at all skill levels. From what I’ve read, the situation today is virtually at crisis level.

This presents a conundrum though, as (imo) the Japanese government and Japanese people would prefer to keep their country and workforce homogeneous. Japanese. In short (again, jmo), the Japanese need migrant workers, but they only want the best. They also however need migrant workers who will perform the lowest level of labor - jobs that the Japanese themselves don’t want to do. This is not new. Many nations with declining populations find themselves in a similar predicament being similarly nationalistic.

In these instances, in a homogeneous nationalistic nation, it would not be surprising for a kind of caste system to develop, where foreign migrant workers (especially those doing menial labor) would be looked down upon. I can see how this could result in racism and discrimination - an underclass of migrant workers who are grossly underpaid, overworked, and looked down upon by the rest of society. I could also see it leading to resentment on the part of the migrant workers.

Could “R” (or any potential perp) have been just such a migrant worker or migrant student? Perhaps working a menial job - with a growing resentment (maybe even a hatred) of the Japanese people? Could he have been in Japan on a student visa?

Filipinos are the fourth biggest group in Japan’s foreign population. From the early 1980’s through 2000, the vast majority of OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) in Japan had been admitted on “entertainer” visas. Many worked “hostess” jobs, dancing and working (and “other” entertainment) in restaurants and bars and nightclubs -for extremely low wages. Many were housekeepers and caregivers. Visas were also granted to students. Most were 3-5 yr. In more recent years I think Japan has sought to bring in foreign workers with higher skill sets.

I think it’s possible that the perp in the Miyakawa murders might have been an OFW (possibly working a menial job, like part-time in a restaurant) or a young man on a student visa from the Philippines. Possibly somebody who had been living west of Tokyo for 6 mos or more. Are migrant workers and foreign students required to provide DNA samples in order to obtain a visa?

This is all just a theory, and I’m sure there are many things I have not considered.

From what I’ve read online though, I think the number of Filipinos working or studying in the Tokyo area in the late 90’s was around 50-60k. Direct flights from the Philippines to Japan are 5-7 hours. Many Filipinos saw Japan as an escape from poverty and crime. Destination airports included Osaka and Tokyo. Velkova trees grow in Osaka, Tokyo, and the northern Philippine. Hip packs are made in Osaka..

Apparently the knife handle wrapping technique (using a handkerchief) that the TMPD suspects was used by the perp in the Miyakawa murders is indigenous to Eastern China, but also to the northern Philippines (fish cleaning, other).

There is also a segment of the Philippine population that could have genetics from Spain and East Asia. A study in ‘09 suggests that approx. 53% of Filipino genes are from Southeast Asia and Oceania, 36% are from East Asia, and 5% are from Europe. There are descendants in the Philippines from the Spanish / European colonial period as well as from Persian Gulf and Arab sultanates formed from14th-15th century conquests.

I think the Edwards Air Base sand is a red herring. Jmo. There was an American air base in Luzon (Clark) but it was closed in the early 90’s. Again, I think the hip pack came from Osaka.

I do not think the perp was the son of an American serviceman unless that serviceman was an Asian American (obvious due to DNA). But unless an Asian American serviceman’s offspring was never really “Americanized”, I don’t see such a person grabbing 4 barley teas over the other drinks. I also don’t think many young Asian American men - again, even those who have lived in Japan for several years - choosing to eat string beans with sesame seed. Idk, maybe somebody born in Japan or Korea or China to an Asian American service member who was also not very “Americanized”. But just how many of those are/were there?

Again, all just speculation, thinking out loud. I wonder whether enough could be learned (or was learned) from analysis of the DNA to rule out a Filipino? Was “R” a Filipino?

All jmo
Just on your point about the diet - I’m English from the UK and have been in Japan for 15 years, my immediate close circle of friends are all American, and my foreign coworkers are mostly American too, and I can tell you all of our daily diets are 99% Japanese.

That’s not to say we don’t seek out food and dishes from our own countries every so often, but it’s difficult to maintain a western diet in Japan not to mention expensive. It would have been even more difficult to maintain 24 years ago due to limited import availability.

That’s also not to say some foreigners here don’t actively seek out a diet close to one from their home countries, but I don’t think him having string beans and sesame seeds as part of his makes him not a foreigner or American.

Ranges of various cold teas in Japan are vast and available absolutely everywhere, and they’re very refreshing too. Everyone here drinks them including the foreign population.
So again the food found in his feces just indicates it was a person who lived in Japan.

And to me, the numerous cups of ice cream being consumed MAYBE indicates his age a bit more than someone with a mature palette (not digging at anyone here!) but it being washed down with barley tea doesn’t really say much.

Last edited:
Zero CCTV images (despite the rumours that there were). The ice cream was four small cups.
I find it interesting that a man who typically adheres to a vegetable-based diet suddenly indulged in consuming 4 servings of ice cream. A standard small cup holds around 90ml (in Japan). While it's not entirely implausible for someone to consume 4+ servings in one go, I still find it peculiar that he chose to do so after committing the massacre.

I do think the killer likely has some sort of personality disorder and ASD is a fair possibility. I'm saying that the notion that going through mental health records would lead to an answer is far more complicated for the reasons I listed above. Plus, doing that opens up a lot of vulnerable, harmless people to no small risk, while the likelihood of this leading to the actual suspect is so very small that I'd find it hard to justify from an ethical perspective. Especially if you look through the records of people who were minors at the time and who may have more or less completely recovered after treatment.
Basically, to me, the drawbacks to me outweigh the benefit because it's just so unlikely to lead to a benefit. Just my opinion, though, and of course you're welcome to disagree!
Are you suggesting that psychotic illnesses or conditions falling under Cluster A are unlikely factors in this case?

How can going through mental health records for individuals within the specified profile, like aged 15 to 25 at the time of the murder, have any impact on current patients or ex-patients, particularly those who were minors when the data was recorded? This confidential data mining activity has, to some extent, already been conducted by the police. But now they have a better technology to do it than 23 years ago.

While a more comprehensive analysis may not yield results, it could rule out the possibility that the local cohort of patients, or former patients, has anything to do with the case. The value of ruling out certain hypotheses is in narrowing the investigative focus. Maybe then police may redirect their attention to scrutinising the records of foreign army recruits who were present in the city at the time of the murder.

I find it interesting that a man who typically adheres to a vegetable-based diet suddenly indulged in consuming 4 servings of ice cream. A standard small cup holds around 90ml (in Japan). While it's not entirely implausible for someone to consume 4+ servings in one go, I still find it peculiar that he chose to do so after committing the massacre.
Yeah, that's quite a binge. Especially for someone who has a good chance of being lactose-intolerant.

Yeah, that's quite a binge. Especially for someone who has a good chance of being lactose-intolerant.
My best guess: he's starving, the fridge is small, there may not have been that many things in the kitchen that were ready to eat without any preparation. His hand, of course, was probably not in any type of way to start cooking. To say nothing of his mind frame. The cups themselves I'm fairly sure were small, portions in Japan are sometimes laughably so. Four cups sounds excessive and, as you say, my stomach wouldn't fare well with that. But as a ravenous teenager who's just done the craziest thing of his life, maybe it's not as wild as it sounds on paper. At any rate, how much this says about the killer, I don't know.

We don't know he typically adheres to anything. It's just that the last meal he ate included sesame string beans. As per my last post, four ice cream cups sounds odd on paper. But if he's starving, geed up, injured and he needs something now? I don't know, for me it's not among the weirdest parts about this case

4 ice creams, perhaps an after dinner treat for each member of the family, he just had to take that from them too, imo, speculation.

The murder occurred between December 30 and 31, 2000, just on the cusp of New Year's Eve. Could this timing hold any particular significance?
It jives with the police profile -- a young man between 15 and early 20s. We know for a fact they believe the killer was "living the student lifestyle" at the time of the murders. It was a weekend at the end of the year. He obviously was able to get away unnoticed for an entire evening (or had a good story / someone to cover for him).

Are you suggesting that psychotic illnesses or conditions falling under Cluster A are unlikely factors in this case?

How can going through mental health records for individuals within the specified profile, like aged 15 to 25 at the time of the murder, have any impact on current patients or ex-patients, particularly those who were minors when the data was recorded? This confidential data mining activity has, to some extent, already been conducted by the police. But now they have a better technology to do it than 23 years ago.

While a more comprehensive analysis may not yield results, it could rule out the possibility that the local cohort of patients, or former patients, has anything to do with the case. The value of ruling out certain hypotheses is in narrowing the investigative focus. Maybe then police may redirect their attention to scrutinising the records of foreign army recruits who were present in the city at the time of the murder.
This is way outside of my wheelhouse but given how jealously privacy is guarded in Japan, I don't see how the TMPD get the legal permissions to just trawl through the records of mental health patients based on the fact they're male and within the age range. If they have a criminal history, that's different but then they would already be subject to that and we would have to assume that police checked those records 23 years ago. It would still have to be a patient with the right DNA (likely Korean but NOT FROM South Korea), who is 5'6 or so, right-handed, 27.5cm shoe, likely with scars on his hand, who has been both to Mabori Beach and to the region around Edwards in CA etc etc. This killer is already a VERY specific man, with a specific fingerprint. As for looking at those connected to US air bases, again, I think they'd need the proper legal permissions to enter US sovereign territory. Even then, I'm not sure the base would freely allow it. They'd need a name and a warrant, most likely. And they have no name. As I was told by a well-respected journalist in Japan: "if the idea of a USAF dependent / American killer has occurred to you, I can promise you it has occurred to the TMPD. Their detectives are exceptional. However, one thing is that it occurs to them and another thing entirely is them even knowing where to begin asking for the permissions to look into an American on a USAF base, doubly so if he's under 18."

I really don't know about this. Most teenage guys I've known could eat 10 of them and not think anything of it. Also, the whole lactose intolerant thing: I never, ever (ever!) heard of any fellow teenagers who paid any attention to such things. Maybe the problem tends to be more apparent later in adulthood, maybe teenagers just don't pay attention much to such things. At any rate, I can easily see a young man eating several of those little ice cream cups, plus a dozen eggs and a slice of toast, no problemo.

i'm a petite woman but i have an insane sweet tooth. i have easily crushed 4+ of ice cream cups many times hehe :)

also, for what it's worth, i have a chronic illness & i'm prone to nausea/fainting if i "overdo it", and the only thing i can stomach with my flare-ups are things like popsicles, ice cream, sugary pop, etc. i mention this because i can imagine this person feeling horrible after murdering a whole family (not mentally, like body-weak) and reaching for an easy, soothing, calorically dense food. moo though!

Hello all, I follow this thread (amongst many others) daily but very rarely dare to post. But there’s something bugging me and I’m sure one of you will know the answer.

I read that the age of criminal responsibility in Japan is 14, which surprised me. Considering the attitude to privacy in Japan, would the police be able to fingerprint/DNA test under 18s or even under 14s?

It jives with the police profile -- a young man between 15 and early 20s. We know for a fact they believe the killer was "living the student lifestyle" at the time of the murders. It was a weekend at the end of the year. He obviously was able to get away unnoticed for an entire evening (or had a good story / someone to cover for him).
boarding school?

Hahah apologies (though of course now forevermore you'll have to be known as Tia, a very nice name). Thank you for your thoughts, it's always good to see this case from another POV. Your points in order:

*I have no idea how deep the TMPD went on the restaurant worker (I’ll call him “R” as some others have) but if they didn’t go deep on “R”, I think they perhaps should. The problem is, we don't even know if he exists. Certainly, I can tell you first-hand that LE told me there has never been a solid suspect. This same answer is basically going to inform pretty much my whole reply.

-do you know “R”’s name? If you don’t, imo you need to find out. I understand the restaurant is long since closed, but maybe there were/are employment records. Are sole proprietors required to keep records like they do in the US for things like WC, SS, taxes, etc? Conveniently, the 'restaurant-owner forgot his name and didn't keep records.' Again, where these stories were published concerns me. Basically garbage publications with schoolgirl manga in them etc. All the more intriguing stories, including the book by Ichihashi, are, as respectfully as I can put this: incredible. Literally. The fact that none of the newspapers published this possibility, particularly when they have a direct line into the TMPD with the kissa club etc, would be enough for me to ignore this theory completely.

-what nationality was “R”? Unknown, if he exists at all.

-was “R” at work the next day - or any of the next few days (I’m sure odd schedule though due to holidays)? If he was, was his right hand bandaged? Again, unknown.

-if “R” did not work in the next few days, did he simply disappear following the discovery of the Miyazawa family murders? What’s the story? Did he ever return to work? Whether he worked or not, co-workers apparently thought he should be looked at. As above.

-I understand that TMPD does not know the name of the man at the station 3 hrs north of Tokyo the next day with the grievously wounded right hand (I believe I read it was the right hand - with a cut so severe that you could see bone). It’s amazing to me that this man could have been treated for such a severe wound w/o having to provide any information. Even if insurance was not involved (I’m not sure how the healthcare system works in Japan - is it universal, no payment required?), it seems there should be a record of his treatment that would include a name. I don't think first aid would keep any kind of record at a station or some such. Especially if you decline to give a name. They're not going to leave you bleeding on the platform. The Chief wouldn't go into specifics but he seemed very comfortable in dispelling the concept of the Tobbu-Nikko man.

I cannot find a link at the moment, but I also read that this mystery man at the station who sought treatment for his hand seemed unfazed by the severe injury. As if the pain didn’t affect him. Kind of an Anton Chigur thing. Very odd. This is the story, yes. I think this man did well exist. If you listen to Faceless, you'll see that the station staff wouldn't talk about it but locals would. The man exited the station but never returned. Given it's a mountain area and the end of the line, that tells me if he didn't return, it's possible he was going there to die. Which maybe also explains the attitude about the wound. At any rate, we know the terrain in that area can be treacherous. See the case of the French woman who went hiking up there and was never seen again.

-were witnesses at the station - and witnesses who treated this man - shown a composite / e-fit of “R”? Did any of them think the man could have been “R”? As above. I doubt very much there ever was any R, let alone an e-fit.

If TMPD don’t know who the man at the station was, how can they have ruled him out? Because he didn't exist.

If you Google “migrant workers in Japan”, you will find numerous search results that discuss Japan’s decades-long dire need for foreign workers. Due to the shrinking population over the past several decades (and maybe even going back to the early post-war years) Japan has desperately needed foreign workers at all skill levels. From what I’ve read, the situation today is virtually at crisis level. Agree but there isn't a great deal here that suggests a migrant worker. At a push, we have a Korean man (at least ethnically) with a relatively costly knife and brand new clothes who eats string beans, maybe likes squash or tennis, and wears Drakkar Noir. None of that fits with whatever my vague idea of a migrant worker would be. Let alone one that is able to pick up sand from the Mabori Beach region or Edwards Air Force base in California.

Could “R” (or any potential perp) have been just such a migrant worker or migrant student? Perhaps working a menial job - with a growing resentment (maybe even a hatred) of the Japanese people? Could he have been in Japan on a student visa? Well, the killer could have been either. But I would be astounded if, as a foreigner, that didn't include sufficient info for them to link to the crime scene (fingerprints for one). Which gets on to your next point.

I think it’s possible that the perp in the Miyakawa murders might have been an OFW (possibly working a menial job, like part-time in a restaurant) or a young man on a student visa from the Philippines. Possibly somebody who had been living west of Tokyo for 6 mos or more. Are migrant workers and foreign students required to provide DNA samples in order to obtain a visa? There is nothing here that concretely points to the Philippines beyond some vague talk of the way he put the handkerchief around the knife being 'Filipino or Chinese', similar to the practises of fish factory workers. Frankly, this is like saying the fact he wore French aftershave means it's impossible he's a French impressionist painter who lives in Paris. Essentially, a nothing. Moreover, the DNA, if we can rely on it, says nothing about the Philippines. And it would require a foreigner who has been able to stay in Japan for 23 years which sufficient money / resources to stay off the grid. Possible he's dead of course. But my money is on a foreigner who simply left.

There is also a segment of the Philippine population that could have genetics from Spain and East Asia. A study in ‘09 suggests that approx. 53% of Filipino genes are from Southeast Asia and Oceania, 36% are from East Asia, and 5% are from Europe. There are descendants in the Philippines from the Spanish / European colonial period as well as from Persian Gulf and Arab sultanates formed from14th-15th century conquests. I don't say it's impossible that there's no Filipino or Spanish heritage here. Only that the numbers are pointing to Korea. It seems to me you're reaching for a Filipino based on very little only to discount a concrete lead such as two types of sand and a way out of the country...

I think the Edwards Air Base sand is a red herring. Jmo. There was an American air base in Luzon (Clark) but it was closed in the early 90’s. Again, I think the hip pack came from Osaka. Why is it a red herring? Based on what? There is no talk of a Filipino airbase, but specifically one in California. Also, Mabori Beach is where Yokosuka US Naval Base is. I bought clothes in Tokyo and Osaka, it says zero about me other than I was, at one time, in those cities.

Slazenger declined to answer our questions so we don't know. But it's never been proven that the shoes were NOT on sale in Japan, let alone ONLY in Korea. I do think the killer was a student. I have no idea about Filipino water. My gut feeling is it's neither here nor there. And the dye in the hip pack likely came from a marker pen. The skateboard tape has never been proven, as far as I understand it.

I do not think the perp was the son of an American serviceman unless that serviceman was an Asian American (obvious due to DNA). But unless an Asian American serviceman’s offspring was never really “Americanized”, I don’t see such a person grabbing 4 barley teas over the other drinks. I also don’t think many young Asian American men - again, even those who have lived in Japan for several years - choosing to eat string beans with sesame seed. Idk, maybe somebody born in Japan or Korea or China to an Asian American service member who was also not very “Americanized”. But just how many of those are/were there? I have seen this point a few times -- the idea that an American would not drink barley tea. Ignoring the fact that I have American nationality and have drunk barley tea with other Americans while in Japan, I find it hard to understanding the logic: how someone can make a generalisation about the habits of 300+ million people. Moreover, string beans and sesame seed is universal in Japan. Why could an American not have eaten locally before the murders? He has three choices in the fridge, why is it un-American to enjoy barley? Barley tea is one of the most commonly-sold drinks in Japan, at any vending machine (there are millions), it's always on the roster.

Again, all just speculation, thinking out loud. I wonder whether enough could be learned (or was learned) from analysis of the DNA to rule out a Filipino? Was “R” a Filipino? From the articles themselves, he's spoken of as Japanese. But I don't believe he exists so *shrug*

About food you are right, in theory. Just because I am Slavic, doesn't mean that I prefer pierogi to chicken Tikka masala. Or any Thai food. Or even sushi.

However, the killer's food we have to discuss. First, I, too, feel that he was younger and had some developmental disorder. Even if he was older, still - from that group. Even if we assume, the son of a US serviceman, raised in the US and brought to Japan - still, the developmental issue is probably there. Now, what would one expect such a kid to eat? Food from Japanese McDonald's? Yes. Some kind of unhealthy greasy stuff? Yes. Barley tea and sesame seeds? No, and no (texture).
So let us assume that he is an American or Korean-American in Japan. Fine. I can accept this as a working version, although it already demarcates him from the other 300+ millions people. But, if so, I can bet on some neurodevelopmental condition. And how typical would it be for a neurodivergent kid to enjoy barley tea and sesame seeds? Ughm... Not really, and even less so if he came from the US. Coke and "burgers, no tomato no lettuce," yes. Ice cream, yes. A watermelon or a melon, possible. But - if he has very unusual habits, as evidenced by choosing food that 90% of neurodivergent kids hate, then, he would demand the same food on coming back home. Go to ethnic Japanese restaurants as adult. That doesn't match the profile to me.

Now, being born in Korea/Japan to a local that later moving to the US, I can believe. After Korean War, people's lives changed the strangest way. And dad being a gifted immigrant, I bet. But I suspect that the whole family stood out as extra odd, and not because of immigration, not at all.

I really don't know about this. Most teenage guys I've known could eat 10 of them and not think anything of it. Also, the whole lactose intolerant thing: I never, ever (ever!) heard of any fellow teenagers who paid any attention to such things. Maybe the problem tends to be more apparent later in adulthood, maybe teenagers just don't pay attention much to such things. At any rate, I can easily see a young man eating several of those little ice cream cups, plus a dozen eggs and a slice of toast, no problemo.

Surely it manifests later in adulthood. Lactose-intolerant baby would not be able to accept maternal milk and in prehistoric time, die, and in our, demand a lot of attention. So either the level of lactase drops with age, or maybe something else happens, but adults develop this condition.

So let us assume that he is an American or Korean-American in Japan. Fine. I can accept this as a working version, although it already demarcates him from the other 300+ millions people. But, if so, I can bet on some neurodevelopmental condition. And how typical would it be for a neurodivergent kid to enjoy barley tea and sesame seeds? Ughm... Not really, and even less so if he came from the US. Coke and "burgers, no tomato no lettuce," yes. Ice cream, yes.

Not all mental conditions manifest in peculiar eating habits, but in some cases, they do, indeed. The perp had a plant-based last meal, a detail that becomes more plausible if he had been visiting someone locally and was served regional cuisine. Perhaps he had a local girlfriend who ended their relationship on that fateful day, leading to an eruption of anger or a psychotic episode as a form of revenge.

It's conceivable that, later on, he found more familiar and 'normal' food in the fridge. Therefore, I am open to considering that his dietary preferences might have varied, depending on his origin – perhaps from the US – or his diet in a military setting if he was a soldier. However, he must have had connections with someone in the local area who could provide him with vegetables with sesame seeds.

To explore this possibility, it might be worthwhile for a local newspaper to publish an article urging women who broke up with someone matching the profile in late December 2000 to come forward.

As for looking at those connected to US air bases, again, I think they'd need the proper legal permissions to enter US sovereign territory. Even then, I'm not sure the base would freely allow it. They'd need a name and a warrant, most likely. And they have no name. As I was told by a well-respected journalist in Japan: "if the idea of a USAF dependent / American killer has occurred to you, I can promise you it has occurred to the TMPD. Their detectives are exceptional. However, one thing is that it occurs to them and another thing entirely is them even knowing where to begin asking for the permissions to look into an American on a USAF base, doubly so if he's under 18."
There have been instances, quite a few, where members of the US military have faced arrest. As an illustration, in 2016, a former US Marine employed as a civilian at a base in Okinawa was apprehended by the Okinawa Prefectural Police. He faced charges related to the murder and improper handling of the remains of Rina Shimabukuro, a 20-year-old woman in Okinawa. Despite a degree of protection and privacy surrounding military personnel, serious criminal offenses do lead to arrests and legal action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy321