Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even if they weren't actually a smart choice, the very fact he even thought to turn to them is what surprises me. Either, he's a smart kid, or he's used to women -- sisters / girlfriend or what have you.
Even if he is used to ladies/ women, I think he shows incredible composure to go look for it in someone else’s house immediately after having expelled all his rage in this manner.

Going a step further about this, what if this is some life hack? Taught to US Army Female soldiers, or maybe US soldiers in general? And the killer got to know about this hack from his family?

Seems unconventional but just throwing it out there. Ofcourse it depends on whether female soldiers are actually stationed on that base, which might not be the case.

MOO

Even if he is used to ladies/ women, I think he shows incredible composure to go look for it in someone else’s house immediately after having expelled all his rage in this manner.

Going a step further about this, what if this is some life hack? Taught to US Army Female soldiers, or maybe US soldiers in general? And the killer got to know about this hack from his family?
RSBM: this has been confirmed by USAF personnel I’ve spoken to, yes.

Seems unconventional but just throwing it out there. Ofcourse it depends on whether female soldiers are actually stationed on that base, which might not be the case.

MOO
I have zero knowledge about military training and hacks, but I can state from personal memory that "doomer" Yahoo chat rooms in the Y2K era were chock full of survival information that included such things as "tampons are an ideal hack to use in a bullet wound to help stop bleeding".

Regardless the medical accuracy of that statement, these sorts of advice hacks were all over the chat rooms and doomer/SHTF blogs in the first few years of the 2000s. It makes sense that at least a few similar sites were online by the late 1990s as well.

This is not to discount the likelihood that our killer got his familiarity from female family members, just to add another possible option.

And to remind us that the Y2K frenzy, while a year in the past at the time of this crime, may have been a mindset he was familiar with and maybe was a factor in this crime?

MOO

That's OK, I was just talking with Ryushi about potentially getting access to the house. But seeing as it belongs to the City, those meddling kids might have just put the kibosh on this.
Damn. That would be incredibly interesting if you were able to gain access to the house.

The TMPD have ceased collecting evidence from the house because they have everything they need correct? I guess there isn’t any reason to them to not barricade and lock the entire place up now. It is really overgrown there and looks ramshackle too.

Do let us know if you manage to get the permissions needed to enter!

I have zero knowledge about military training and hacks, but I can state from personal memory that "doomer" Yahoo chat rooms in the Y2K era were chock full of survival information that included such things as "tampons are an ideal hack to use in a bullet wound to help stop bleeding".

Regardless the medical accuracy of that statement, these sorts of advice hacks were all over the chat rooms and doomer/SHTF blogs in the first few years of the 2000s. It makes sense that at least a few similar sites were online by the late 1990s as well.

This is not to discount the likelihood that our killer got his familiarity from female family members, just to add another possible option.

And to remind us that the Y2K frenzy, while a year in the past at the time of this crime, may have been a mindset he was familiar with and maybe was a factor in this crime?
This could be possible. But thats the thing, many of us read stuff like this on these news aggregator websites. Like “10 things to do when you are stranded on an island”, but how likely is it that we have enough composure to recall and go through with it. Ofcourse he might have looked into ways to stem blood loss just before his kills in this manner which would indicate a certain degree of planning.

He has two handkerchiefs on him. Even assuming both of them are blood stained, wouldn’t it be much more natural just to wrap your hand in them? Maybe even take it a step further and disinfect them. But the guy goes for the absolute best available solution, could be coincidence or could be something that was maybe conditioned in some sort of manner.

While we are on chat rooms, I wonder if the computer he tried to use was some attempt to access some of these chat rooms. Like to get some more helpful tips or maybe like some sort of boast? I am not talking about 2chan or stuff but maybe more secretive groups. MOO

This could be possible. But thats the thing, many of us read stuff like this on these news aggregator websites. Like “10 things to do when you are stranded on an island”, but how likely is it that we have enough composure to recall and go through with it. Ofcourse he might have looked into ways to stem blood loss just before his kills in this manner which would indicate a certain degree of planning.

He has two handkerchiefs on him. Even assuming both of them are blood stained, wouldn’t it be much more natural just to wrap your hand in them? Maybe even take it a step further and disinfect them. But the guy goes for the absolute best available solution, could be coincidence or could be something that was maybe conditioned in some sort of manner.

While we are on chat rooms, I wonder if the computer he tried to use was some attempt to access some of these chat rooms. Like to get some more helpful tips or maybe like some sort of boast? I am not talking about 2chan or stuff but maybe more secretive groups. MOO

Yes. I wasn't even thinking of those aggregator articles, and I'm not sure if they were even a thing back then. I was referring to chat rooms, discussion forums and blogs specifically oriented towards "when the economy collapses" type scenarios, both Y2K and otherwise. A primary mantra of those sites was to have on hand a "BOB bag" (Bug Out Bag) filled with survival supplies.

My suggestion was that if the perp was familiar with these sites and their mantras, whether due to his own interest or that of a parent, sibling or friend, then the idea of ad hoc/makeshift medical supplies would not have been new to him.

I also question that he used the "absolute best available solution" since absorbent pads are for absorbing, not for stopping blood flow, for which he would need something tightly wrapped around his hand, as already mentioned. I agree this was a creative move and agree that it's not what would first come to mind for a teenage boy, and we are speculating how he might have come to that idea.

MOO

I’ve been looking back over old news and tv coverage of the case in Japanese to see if any information was there that I hadn’t heard of before or if any other particular details were reported on, and I came across two pieces.
The information comes from footage that I downloaded so I can’t link to it unless I upload it, but if necessary I’ll do that for the sake of showing a source. For now I’ll share screenshots.

1. A old morning TV news programme reported that the front door was found locked by Haruko. It’s been reported that she couldn’t remember if it was locked or not, but this news said that “the entrance was locked and no windows were smashed”. It could just be that this comes from very early on when Haruko gave that answer before saying she couldn’t actually remember, but it’s the first time I’ve seen a report actually state the door was locked.
IMG_3235.jpeg

2. Hair was also found in the hip bag. It was reported that the killer likely had short, black hair between 1.5mm and 2.5cm that had been clipped short. It’s the first time I’ve seen this kind of indication about his appearance. Short, clipped, black hair puts an image in my head that I hadn’t had there before.

IMG_3233.jpeg
IMG_3234.jpeg
Also to add, the same studio that did the full reconstruction of the house and showed an actor entering through the bathroom window that I uploaded in the last thread, also reconstructed the inside of the house the way it was found.
I found it really interesting to see exactly what it looked like the morning of the murders and what was found where.
It shows all the locations of the killers clothes and items, as well as the ice cream cups etc.
Here’s a screenshot of the beginning of that on the ground floor where the computers were:
IMG_3236.jpeg
I found this one particularly interesting to see.

All sources are in Japanese but if anyone would like me to upload them for you to view let me know.

A old morning TV news programme reported that the front door was found locked by Haruko. It’s been reported that she couldn’t remember if it was locked or not, but this news said that “the entrance was locked and no windows were smashed”. It could just be that this comes from very early on when Haruko gave that answer before saying she couldn’t actually remember, but it’s the first time I’ve seen a report actually state the door was locked.
I have always found it a bit perplexing. I have to assume that the grandma had the key for the Miyazawa’s house on her, because she didnt come back for the key (as reported by the Anns).

Is this the norm for her? Like she phones them earlier, they do not pick up. Then she goes over there and rings the doorbell, no one answers it. Wouldn’t the most understandable explaination for that would be they were all sleeping in. So would she, use the key to unlock the door and go in there and wake them all up? Is this a thing that was common place or something she used to do? Now I understand that there is a different family dynamic over there, so maybe thats the kind of thing she usually did, but for me, the more prudent thing to do would have been to go back and give them a call again, especially if the son in law was a bit concerned about “interference” and stuff?

Obviously this is all circumvented if the door was actually open and she thought the family had woken up. It could also explain why she got confused later, coz this (the door being unlocked) was a usual thing and she got confused whether on that day as well, the door was unlocked.

Re: Hair - I always assumed the guy to be a studious/diligent type, what with highlighters and all in his fanny pack.

JMO

I also question that he used the "absolute best available solution" since absorbent pads are for absorbing, not for stopping blood flow, for which he would need something tightly wrapped around his hand, as already mentioned. I agree this was a creative move and agree that it's not what would first come to mind for a teenage boy, and we are speculating how he might have come to that idea.
To be fair, anyone with an intact clotting mechanism could get the blood flow to stop with decent pressure. Its not the best thing to wrap around agreed, but it is the best thing around which you can be sure of is sterile/disinfected and you wouldn’t have to waste time around. Infection is far more dangerous for open wounds,

As for wrapping it I don’t think its that difficult to fashion something with strings/elastic bands. For this to work, consistent pressure is the key rather than the nature of the material. This is from my personal experience of a lot of femoral artery punctures for sampling.

Personally for me its a bit remarkable, coz I am a doctor but this wouldn’t strike me in a situation like that, especially after the nature of the crimes committed. Which is why I find it rather curious where he could have gained this knowledge from.

Here is an image I posted earlier of the ladder position in relation to its surroundings:
1717884032230.jpeg
Sadly, this image and the video really gives you the sense of how trapped Yasuko and Niina were as the killer cornered them. They had no chance to make their way up the ladder and he blocked their only path to the front and back doors as he rushed towards them.

Would explain the choice of the sweater as well, coz that might be something that was more in style of the killer’s wardrobe.
I was thinking the same thing too because like the sweater he left behind it was big, comfy and oversized and yet also fashionable, at least to me. I too also thought that killer may have come from money or had a lot of access to it from his parents because in my opinion clothes at Uniqlo are expensive and his sneakers and jacket seemed exclusive or at least limited to only those who could travel and buy them during the very short window when they were available.

That to me, given the total lack of attempted clean-up despite the hours in the house, suggests he had an escape route.
That point has also been another aspect of crime that has bothered me. The filth he left behind by not flushing the toilet, throwing containers in there and the audacity to destroy their personal belongings, even if they were just documents and a things inside Yasuko’s purse seems like another level of disrespectful and disregard he shows his victims. It wasn’t enough for him to violate them, their home and their lives but then he shows little care for the home they built together as a family. IMO, he needed to insult Miyazawas even in death to fully enjoy his power trip or feel like someone who is superior to them.

RSBM: If I'm almost certain of anything, it's that he didn't pick them at random. And there's absolutely no way he was going to pick a family of sumo wrestlers or some such. My instinct tells me that the Miyazawas were surrogates for his deep anger, as I've said many times, and he wanted to take that out. The fact that they were a loving suburban family with no conception that a person like this could come into their world is integral to his plan. JMO.
This very much seems to fit to me. They appear from the outside to be the embodiment of a nice, almost “perfect” family and rather defenseless. Perfect target for rage.

I watched the video with An Irie online. Her grief is palpable even without understanding the language and it was very touching and heartbreaking seeing the calendar, stickers on the phone and marks on the wall showing how tall Niina was growing. Also, Niina absolutely loved her little brother Rei. She was always smiling at him and holding him or his hands in the pictures.

If you could link me I'd be very grateful!
Here you are:
The video speaks mostly for itself, but if you’d like any spoken part translated I can try to help you. It gives a very detailed view of what it looked like that morning.
Re: Hair - I always assumed the guy to be a studious/diligent type, what with highlighters and all in his fanny pack.

JMO
I’m not sure why but I never imagined short, clipped black hair. Maybe due to his clothing style? I kinda assumed that because it was trendy and relatively expensive for the time his hairstyle would match and be more styled, rather than basically just buzzed short.

View attachment 508859
Sadly, this image and the video really gives you the sense of how trapped Yasuko and Niina were as the killer cornered them. They had no chance to make their way up the ladder and he blocked their only path to the front and back doors as he rushed towards them.
Very cramped.
Here is another angle that shows just how confined they were and the size of the house:
IMG_3250.jpeg

Here you are:
The video speaks mostly for itself, but if you’d like any spoken part translated I can try to help you. It gives a very detailed view of what it looked like that morning.
Thank you so much! I can actually understand/read Japanese at a decent level (speaking is harder lol). ありがとうございます!

I’m not sure why but I never imagined short, clipped black hair. Maybe due to his clothing style? I kinda assumed that because it was trendy and relatively expensive for the time his hairstyle would match and be more styled, rather than basically just buzzed short.
From my understanding of things, the kinda confidence the killer had to leave his clothing behind seems to indicate that he was quitely confident that the clothes wouldn’t lead back to him. The clothes are his but maybe they are not his usual/regualar wear.

So the killer is in high school/college, cares enough about studies to have highlighter ink in his fanny pack, demonstrates reasonable intelligence to not only execute an ambush, but make a good entry (at the very least) , is financially in a decent situation to leave stuff behind. Even ignoring his presumed army background, it is reasonable to expect him to have short hair than long simply because I don’t think his clothes/ his belongings that night tell his actual story.

Damn. That would be incredibly interesting if you were able to gain access to the house.

The TMPD have ceased collecting evidence from the house because they have everything they need correct? I guess there isn’t any reason to them to not barricade and lock the entire place up now. It is really overgrown there and looks ramshackle too.

Do let us know if you manage to get the permissions needed to enter!
Exactly, they're all for tearing it down (as is the City, who owns it). It was only because Ann Irie kicked up that fuss (which is absolutely her right) and brought the media in, that stopped them from doing that. As I understand it, they weren't aware that she was going to do that at all. You would assume it's just a matter of time, though.

The frustrating thing is that the killer's DNA is almost certainly still in that house. I'm friends with one of the world's leading experts in familial DNA. What we could learn about the killer alone would move the dial significantly here. Let alone actually having a chance at maybe linking him to extant family trees etc.

Cannot help but wonder if any suicide help lines, whether online or by phone, had any particularly unusual 'clients' on the night of, and days after the murders? imo, speculation.
This is an interesting angle that I'd never considered before. Particularly because, in my own limited experience with the Samaritans phone line in the UK, confidentiality is an important part of the process. Often people that are going to die don't want to be alone. If the killer committed suicide straight after, though 1) he would had to have done it in a way that didn't raise any 'red flags' to the authorities and been cremated before the Chief had a chance to get his court order on all unidentified male bodies (which would've come later anyway). Or 2) killed himself in isolation and his body still hasn't been found.

Either option is possible. But suicide would imply an overwhelming guilt, which requires a humanity that my heart tells me he lacks -- JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back