Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Charlot123 a few pages back @Incoherent posted videos of all of the questions you are asking and went into the park, the path by the river, shows where the houses opposite are, and the road to the side with the skateboard park and tennis courts. I recommend you go and watch those as it gives a very good look at just what it is like there.
There is a rhetoric that this entire area was abandoned, as you say, but it actually was not and was (and still is from those videos) a very lively neighbourhood. It is just that the last remaining houses on the plot of land where the park is do stand alone.
If you cannot find the videos I can link them to you here later.

The theory that the Miyazawa family killer might be connected to a US military base has been considered by TMPD but remains unproven. Initial speculations arose because of sand found at the crime scene, which was thought to possibly originate from California or the Miura Peninsula. However, no direct link has been established between the sand and any specific military base in California. The idea was popularised by internet discussions and some media reports but lacks backing from LE. Mainstream Japanese media outlets like The Japan Times, Mainichi Shimbun, Yomiuri Shimbun etc have not provided any coverage connecting the suspect to a US military base. In my opinion, this would be the easiest and quickest angle to investigate, given that the suspect is (can be) localised. Whether the police have or have not forensically explored this possibility remains unknown.

J-CAST and Smart FLASH are generally considered to be less authoritative compared to major news outlets. They often focus on more sensational stories and may not always provide the most reliable or in-depth reporting. Nevertheless, here are a couple of reports from the past that some might find interesting.

The Setagaya Family Murders and "Memory of Sand"
The Metropolitan Police Department is pursuing a "part-time yakiniku restaurant employee"

So was the 285,000+ investigating the case miswritten? Did they mean hours? If not, that’s quite impressive, to have that many “investigators” on a case.

There’s been glaring issues when it comes to high profile crime/homicides. I think with Japan’s relatively low crime rate and h/o “low profile crime” or “petty crime” perhaps more serious crimes are just way more difficult.

Japan dropped the ball big time when it came to the biggest terrorist in Japanese history. He was found to be living in Tokyo in public sight for decades. Despite having swathes of evidence.

It took several years to apprehend Ichihasi for the murder of Hawker. He ran away from the police on barefoot in public sight from the scene of the crime. Left behind loads of evidence including fingerprints. Was a massive scandal at the time.

Toshikazu Sugaya was falsely accused and coerced into a confession for murdering three children (sometimes he was violently interrogated non-stop) however it was later found out that parts of Sugaya’s confession were impossible and the DNA testing method was imprecise. He was released.

Anyway following the theory the killer is America and supposedly living in America right now, if Japan isn’t going to bother pursuing that angle (exploring the sand, DNA, etc) then I don’t think this case is ever going to get solved. Unless we get a deathbed confession.

Also if it’s the son of military personnel, not a military man proper (which would be way more believable) that is even more perplexing (goes back to my motive question). I guess the prevailing theory is that he got angry at seeing a happy family and wanted to murder them out of range … but… this motive is a bit weird imo.

It just seems surreal there’s supposedly been 285,000+ investigators on the case and “thousands of evidence” obtained as quoted yet it doesn’t seem like theres any progress made.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Yasuko only taught children in her cram school or if her cram school also included teaching/preparing teenagers for university? There are many cram schools in Japan that also help young adults and high school kids.

@Hausos if you go back through the last 2 threads the answers to all your questions about motives, the military son, students, Yasuko’s work, etc, are all there in detail.

Does anyone know if Yasuko only taught children in her cram school or if her cram school also included teaching/preparing teenagers for university? There are many cram schools in Japan that also help young adults and high school kids.
I don't have a source at hand, so from memory, Yasuko primarily taught young children, focusing on early childhood education. Whether she made exceptions on occasion and took on older students is not known.

I do realise that taxi drivers were surveyed extensively. However, it all comes down to the questions they were asked. If they were asked about a single man wearing a sweater with "DIVE" on it, having his wrist bandaged, and travelling from Point Zero (which was close enough to the crime scene), there could be a variety of answers. Apparently, there wasn't a single answer that fit all criteria.

If a taxi driver did not notice a bandaged wrist or if the passenger was wearing a dark trench coat and was calm and polite, this passenger would not attract attention. Let's assume all single men, regardless of their clothes, had to be reported. The police could then receive numerous reports about men catching cabs at different places and going to different locations.

If there were many such reports, how could the TMPD track all those passengers down if they all paid in cash? These days, people use cards, so the police could have transactions to follow. But if you have many reports that partially fit the picture, it leads nowhere.

We don't know if the police got anything potentially interesting, as they only disclose what they think is useful to disclose. Maybe they have no leads and no particularly interesting information about taxi passengers. I do not favour this scenario, but I don't see why it should be dismissed as impossible.

Re: distance, to drive from Setagaya and Shibuya at night takes about 15 min, to walk - 1.5hr for a young athletic man. Although, the closest rout out of Setagaya would be towards the east to Meguro Ward. If you start from Setagaya City Hall, and walk eastwards towards the Meguro Ward boundary, it would take roughly 30-40 min.

I also find that the sweater is a bit conspicuous and would likely be picked up by cameras, even with poor resolution. Now, just an idea, half-serious—what if he wore the sweater inside out, either on purpose or inadvertently, to make the letters invisible? Was it a print or real embroidery? Or maybe he found an old raincoat or a loose trench coat of Mikio's that fit, something Mikio did not wear very often, so the siblings would not remember it. But if he did have a car, in that scenario, it wouldn’t matter what he wore.

I am not sure he could take a taxi. Don’t you think he’d smell? Even if he took a bath.

Thank you!

Now the top photo. Is the house in the right lower corner the “house across the street”? It is incredibly close. I understand that the photo is taken at an angle, but it is still very close. Was there a paved road between them? It looks like grass on the sides and some kind of covering between houses. Not even sure if it is asphalt.

I understand that the photo is taken on the morning of the day when the bodies were found? In front of the house I see a policeman in uniform, another man in dark holding something long and another person in something lighter, tan-colored. And there is a man behind the house. Is he a policeman? He looks slightly out of place.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back