Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Its far more easier to tie his hankies around instead of the less pliable saitary pads. He could have easily disinfected the hankies as well, so why he chose sanitary pads over the hankies in his hip bag is certainly interesting.
As others have pointed out, the use of sanitary pads could point to military experience.

Military bandages come in two general types (with alot of sub types): A. Hankie style B. Woman's sanitary pad style. Likewise, some bandages may combine features of both. They are also individually wrapped in packaging that can resemble sanitary products.

Evidently military medics in developing countries turn to sanitary products when the probably far more expensive military bandages run low.

Going out on a creaking limb....

I come from a traditional background with unwritten cultural taboos. Women's cycles and associated products are simply not part of the male "domain" and are not discussed openly. I have purchased them say, twice in 20 years for severe uhmmm "emergencies". I dont even know exactly where the products are kept in my house.

Despite my Reserve experience, I would instinctually reach for dish cloths and paper towels for a deep cut. Sanitary pads are just not in my mind. Yet.... the perpetrator reached for sanitary pads. This could suggest:

A. Active duty military experience in a combat branch (most military personnel rarely train with bandages) -or-

B. Comes from a more progressive family, and /or has had live in girl friends where cycles and products are no longer taboo for males. Thus has a more well, month to month connection with sanitary products.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out, the use of sanitary pads could point to military experience.

Military bandages come in two general types (with alot of sub types): A. Hankie style B. Woman's sanitary pad style. Likewise, some bandages may combine features of both. They are also individually wrapped in packaging that can resemble sanitary products.

Evidently military medics in developing countries turn to sanitary products when the probably far more expensive military bandages run low.

I come from a traditional background with unwritten cultural taboos. Women's cycles and associated products are simply not part of the male "domain" and are not discussed openly. I have purchased them say, twice in 20 years for severe uhmmm "emergencies". I dont even know exactly where the products are kept in my house.

Despite my Reserve experience, I would instinctually reach for dish cloths and paper towels for a deep cut. Sanitary pads are just not in my mind. Yet.... the perpetrator reached for sanitary pads. This could suggest:

A. Active duty military experience in a combat branch (most military personnel rarely train with bandages) -or-

B. Comes from a more progressive family, and /or has had live in girl friends where cycles and products are no longer taboo for males. Thus has a more well, month to month connection with sanitary products.

1) it is likely, a house where Japanese-made sanitary pads are used
2) depending on a situation, he either has older sisters and he is interested in female bodies when growing up, or even has a blended family where the women growing up are close to him, evoke intense interest, but are not his biosisters
3) or, he is raised by a single mom and boundaries are poorly drawn. Not on purpose, but perhaps, mom is overwhelmed and can't organize own life.

I agree with this. If he were a teenage boy of 15-18 from a regular family, even with sisters, I would still hesitate to say he knew how to open and use one. Growing up I had 2 brothers, and when they were teenagers they found tampons hilarious because of how much liquid it could retain. They had no idea how it all worked.
To me, a teenage boy reaching for and using sanitary pads on a wound says more to me than he had a sister or a mother… it highly suggests prior knowledge of how to dress a wound with a sanitary pad. Not beyond the realms of possibility that he learned how to do this himself from training of some kind, but to me it really suggests something to do with the military… whether he himself had military training or he learned it from his father who was military.
Of course the other reasons listed could be possible, I just find it a bit hard to believe… JMO.

Last edited:
I agree with this. If he were a teenage boy of 15-18 from a regular family, even with sisters, I would still hesitate to say he knew how to open and use one. Growing up I had 2 brothers, and when they were teenagers they found tampons hilarious because of how much liquid it could retain. They had no idea how it all worked.
To me, a teenage boy reaching for and using sanitary pads on a wound says more to me than he had a sister or a mother… it highly suggests prior knowledge of how to dress a wound with a sanitary pad. Not beyond the realms of possibility that he learned how to do this himself from training of some kind, but to me it really suggests something to do with the military… whether he himself had military training or he learned it from his father who was military.
Of course the other reasons listed could be possible, I just find it a bit hard to believe… JMO.
Agreed.

Mostly considering how taboo the subject of menstruation is made to be and women in general are probably not being very open about it to others and especially young teenagers makes it seem more probable that this kinda training came not just from some anecdotal experience but maybe a more practical one.

His choice of knife and knifing skills in general don’t really suggest an active military background to me.

The second possibility is certainly possible but how dunno how practical it is irl when you are in a time crunch to act out on things like these.

One more consideration. About the hand injuries and blood loss.

My biggest loss of blood was from a small wound on my big toe. I managed to cut an artery.

Arterial blood is pumped under high pressure. What naturally stops the blood is our own blood clot. But the pressure in the arterial system washes the clot off.

However, most cuts go through veins. So if the killer cut himself but the blood was venous, with low blood pressure in the venous system, it indeed would have been enough to use a sanitary product, press it tightly for a while, and the bleeding would stop. So I doubt that he was all that bloodied when he left the house. The scar is probably noticeable because the wound penetrated into the dermis, but unless the person is prone to extensive scarring, it might attract no attention. One wonders how he might know about the clotting, but one prior injury and someone knowledgeable helping him could be enough.
I attempted to reconstruct how the killer might have gotten his cut, at least one of them. I believe it happened when he attacked Mikio from above, and the knife got stuck in the skull. These two pictures illustrate how he held that knife and the likely cut he sustained (all speculation on my part):

1721731142892.png 1721731185351.png

I would also note that after his knife attack on Mikio, he executed another knife attack on the women and also used his fists to bash them. Being right-handed, it’s evident that his injured hand was still functional and he had no issues using it. That said, I don’t think he had too much wrapped around the cut to attract attention. The location of the cut is such that it can barely be seen from the front and is only visible if the hand is lifted. Otherwise, the cut can be hidden under a sleeve. JMO.

I see thank you, I had read that some temples also offer services on the 31st as the new year often attracts several million people on the day and the days after… or perhaps they would be readying their services on that day too. Either way, I would find it to be not the smartest move to try and head to or hide out at a temple on December 31st in Tokyo.
I also think wherever home is, he went there and went there quickly after leaving the Miyazawa house.

I have seen that news channels on TV were already running the story of the murder by the evening of the 31st. I wonder how quickly it was reported about the killer’s belongings that were left behind. People of Tokyo could have potentially known details of the murder the very same day the family was discovered and began to think about who they saw that morning.
Buddhist temples vary in size. The two temples I mentioned earlier have monk quarters and are situated on large plots of land. The grounds include the actual temple, other buildings, and some natural strips. It seems unlikely that the killer rushed to the temple to pray, although who knows. He could have been in the residential area amongst [other] monks. Which means he could have been a monk, or become one after the murder. This would never have occurred to me in my wildest dreams if I hadn’t read this article: Some criminals are known to take refuge in monkhood as they lay low from the outside world.

JMO

Well, if - if! - Richard Allen is proven to be the Delphi killer, here is your example. As average as can be, nondescript, local, living nearby, still, six years after the murders. This is what I mean. Either this, or someone whose “bisiness” makes him invisible but allows to get next to many houses.
I don’t dispute that a serial killer, or even a murderer, can be an average person. However, the difference with "our" killer is that he killed four people, which qualifies him as a mass murderer. This places him in a different profile category. As you might have read in the US press, the generalised profile of a mass shooter or mass murderer is rarely that of an average person. They may appear average, but there is usually something more distinctive about them, like you mentioned, an introverted nature, which is too broad a term.
In the Setagaya case, though, I think the murderer had a purpose when he broke in, was interrupted by Mikio, and then, overkilled because he was inexperienced and Yasuko was protecting her daughter. A mixture of intense anger and fear.
I think so, too.
Probably the behavior will be similar to that of the perpetrator in Idaho murders. Could, however, the fear on seeing own blood make the Setagaya killer hyperventilate and that caused dissociation? Maybe?
I'm not sure about that. I picture him as rather less perceptive and more basic than borderline. That said, I don't have a firm opinion on this. My focus is on id-ing and locating him, and what could help profile and find him.
About the temples that you kindly linked. Would any of them be accessible if he took a shortcut through the Setagaya park? Would they have bird feeders? Do you suppose that either could be located close to that place where Zelkowa trees grow in Tokyo?
I believe so, yes. The territory should be accessible, as well as the monk residences. I am unsure about the actual temple, though; it might be locked overnight.

Re: birds, good question. Buddhists indeed have something to do with birds. In some traditions, birds are kept in cages temporarily for ceremonial purposes. Like, for example there is a practice known as "life release" (fangsheng in Mandarin, Sōkō in Japanese), birds and other animals are released as an act of compassion and to generate positive karma. These birds are typically purchased from markets where they are sold for food or other purposes and are then released into the wild. It is believed that performing life release generates good karma and contributes to spiritual merit. Temples may hold special ceremonies dedicated to life release.

That place (surely not the only one) was at Seikei Uni.
Seikei University is a private university located in Kichijoji, about 10-15 minutes walk from Kichijoji Station. Established in 1949, the university is famous for its beautiful zelkova trees, besides being known for its high standards of education.
There is also a small Buddhist temple on the campus called Kichijōji. There is also a museum of animation nearby:
Ghibli Museum is located at the southwest end of Inokashira Park. It is an art and animation museum of Ghibli Studio, one of the most famous animation studios of Japan. Owned by Miyazaki Hayao, the famous animation film maker, the museum features a variety of anime work and child-oriented fine art.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back