Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
but I couldn’t comment on whether you could sneak in or out of there undetected because I’m not very knowledgable about the security beyond that.
That level of security is probably directly proportionate to how close a fence hopper is to a flight line and a fatal interaction with an aircraft either landing or taking off. Security would also be inclined to stop and question people who obviously (key word) don't belong.

But....other than being around a flight line or obviously not belonging, once somebody is "in", they are not likely to be bothered by security so long as they blend in.

As you stated, it is more than a little ironic.

I believe the source of the irony could be that the gate security is mostly designed to deter easy comings and goings by 'Merican citizens- not foreign spies. Military life can feature very long hours away from home. They pay is not great. So.... Uncle Sam makes up for it by providing as many benefits as he can.

One of the benefits is providing living conditions for servicemen and their families that are safe, stable and secure as possible. Thus, the gates deter alot of citizen riff raff inclined to disturb base tranquility in big ways and in small ways. These same people are not inclined to hop the fence, then walk (gasp) to the main part of the base.

Growing up on bases was largely like growing up in "Maybury". That does not mean that there were never problems. Some bases can have the population of a mid size city and have all associated the problems. But.... gates and active enforcement really dialed down the frequency of those problems. A good quality of life then leads to more re-enlistments- especially amongst Servicemen with families.
Thanks for that perspective, Cryptic! I do know that years ago, non-service folks could easily drive onto this base. It's only been in the last few years that there's been a bit of a crackdown on security. We can still enter, but you have to drive to a building a few blocks from the main gate, take a number and.....wait. Then you have a little "sit-down", wherein you state your business (which is checked by phone with those of the said business). Then, there's an online background check.

Next up: Main gate, where your vehicle is checked and you receive your pass. I guess I was a little nonplussed that I had to spend 45 minutes to merely access the base, in order to get a cat (yes, I got a cat there) when it seems that about 90% of the base is surrounded by chain link fence.

I'm glad you had that experience growing up. There are so many, many downsides to military life, at least having a bit of "Maybury" is a nice counterpoint. The base here (actually a "post") is also incredibly beautiful, and in the fall it's spectacular: Huge, old trees in firey autumn glory, and rows upon rows of old, red brick houses, punctuated by verdant lawn and streams. Truly a sight to behold! It almost makes me wish I were in the military, just to live in the prettiest part of town, by far.

That level of security is probably directly proportionate to how close a fence hopper is to a flight line and a fatal interaction with an aircraft either landing or taking off. Security would also be inclined to stop and question people who obviously (key word) don't belong.

But....other than being around a flight line or obviously not belonging, once somebody is "in", they are not likely to be bothered by security so long as they blend in.
I am quite shocked to hear how lax it is/was. For some reason I assumed security would be incredibly stringent (I was imagining spotlights and helicopters like in a movie) but I suppose we are talking of a case that even predates 9/11.

I am aiming to go to the next Yokota AFB Friendship Day in May ‘25 just out of pure curiosity to have a look around and also because I align with the theory that the base is involved somehow.
I also believe Ogikubo plays a part in all of this as previously discussed with Nic but that’s for another post once I gather links and type it up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back