Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
but I couldn’t comment on whether you could sneak in or out of there undetected because I’m not very knowledgable about the security beyond that.
That level of security is probably directly proportionate to how close a fence hopper is to a flight line and a fatal interaction with an aircraft either landing or taking off. Security would also be inclined to stop and question people who obviously (key word) don't belong.

But....other than being around a flight line or obviously not belonging, once somebody is "in", they are not likely to be bothered by security so long as they blend in.

As you stated, it is more than a little ironic.

I believe the source of the irony could be that the gate security is mostly designed to deter easy comings and goings by 'Merican citizens- not foreign spies. Military life can feature very long hours away from home. They pay is not great. So.... Uncle Sam makes up for it by providing as many benefits as he can.

One of the benefits is providing living conditions for servicemen and their families that are safe, stable and secure as possible. Thus, the gates deter alot of citizen riff raff inclined to disturb base tranquility in big ways and in small ways. These same people are not inclined to hop the fence, then walk (gasp) to the main part of the base.

Growing up on bases was largely like growing up in "Maybury". That does not mean that there were never problems. Some bases can have the population of a mid size city and have all associated the problems. But.... gates and active enforcement really dialed down the frequency of those problems. A good quality of life then leads to more re-enlistments- especially amongst Servicemen with families.
Thanks for that perspective, Cryptic! I do know that years ago, non-service folks could easily drive onto this base. It's only been in the last few years that there's been a bit of a crackdown on security. We can still enter, but you have to drive to a building a few blocks from the main gate, take a number and.....wait. Then you have a little "sit-down", wherein you state your business (which is checked by phone with those of the said business). Then, there's an online background check.

Next up: Main gate, where your vehicle is checked and you receive your pass. I guess I was a little nonplussed that I had to spend 45 minutes to merely access the base, in order to get a cat (yes, I got a cat there) when it seems that about 90% of the base is surrounded by chain link fence.

I'm glad you had that experience growing up. There are so many, many downsides to military life, at least having a bit of "Maybury" is a nice counterpoint. The base here (actually a "post") is also incredibly beautiful, and in the fall it's spectacular: Huge, old trees in firey autumn glory, and rows upon rows of old, red brick houses, punctuated by verdant lawn and streams. Truly a sight to behold! It almost makes me wish I were in the military, just to live in the prettiest part of town, by far.

That level of security is probably directly proportionate to how close a fence hopper is to a flight line and a fatal interaction with an aircraft either landing or taking off. Security would also be inclined to stop and question people who obviously (key word) don't belong.

But....other than being around a flight line or obviously not belonging, once somebody is "in", they are not likely to be bothered by security so long as they blend in.
I am quite shocked to hear how lax it is/was. For some reason I assumed security would be incredibly stringent (I was imagining spotlights and helicopters like in a movie) but I suppose we are talking of a case that even predates 9/11.

I am aiming to go to the next Yokota AFB Friendship Day in May ‘25 just out of pure curiosity to have a look around and also because I align with the theory that the base is involved somehow.
I also believe Ogikubo plays a part in all of this as previously discussed with Nic but that’s for another post once I gather links and type it up.

Interesting points, @Cryptic. Just to add that I've spoken to several people who lived on various USAF bases in Japan who mentioned sneaking off-base in their youth. (This includes an associate of my POI). They mentioned heading off-base both on-foot and driving off-base. So, yes. Sounds entirely possible.
I hope I am not making you a repeat a point from earlier, but I was wondering in your opinion if the perp or your POI owned or had access to a car and used it to commit the crime what do you think they did with it afterwards?

For example, if they left Japan shortly after the murders did they bring the car with them or did they give it away? If they gave it away or sold it, to whom and did the new owners keep records or pictures of it that could somehow be helpful to LE? Or did they throw it out or give it to a scrap yard or such?

One of the main reasons I ask is because sometimes cars can retain forensic evidence, like blood, hair fibers or soil from the scene trapped in the tire. After all these years likely the car and evidence has been destroyed but perhaps it’s identify could jog potential witnesses’ or nearby pedestrians memories? Or LE in Japan or abroad could review car registries, shipping orders or bills of sales to possibly also identify the killer or track his behavior following the murders? Also, my family still owns my brother’s sports car from 2000 and my cousins’s Porsche from the 80s so there may be a small, very small chance, they kept it?

I hope I am not making you a repeat a point from earlier, but I was wondering in your opinion if the perp or your POI owned or had access to a car and used it to commit the crime what do you think they did with it afterwards?

For example, if they left Japan shortly after the murders did they bring the car with them or did they give it away? If they gave it away or sold it, to whom and did the new owners keep records or pictures of it that could somehow be helpful to LE? Or did they throw it out or give it to a scrap yard or such?

One of the main reasons I ask is because sometimes cars can retain forensic evidence, like blood, hair fibers or soil from the scene trapped in the tire. After all these years likely the car and evidence has been destroyed but perhaps it’s identify could jog potential witnesses’ or nearby pedestrians memories? Or LE in Japan or abroad could review car registries, shipping orders or bills of sales to possibly also identify the killer or track his behavior following the murders? Also, my family still owns my brother’s sports car from 2000 and my cousins’s Porsche from the 80s so there may be a small, very small chance, they kept it?
It's a good question, @AppleTreeGreen. The short answer is that; in the case of my POI, I'm not wholly sure. I think it's quite possible the car stayed behind in Japan (with his family) after he left. More broadly, I would imagine there's no need to scrap the car -- which I can only assume is complex and highly-regulated. Good luck throwing an apple core away on the streets of Tokyo, much less getting your rubbish sorted correctly in an apartment block. No idea how you'd get your car destroyed. Far more likely, I would guess, that they simply sold the car on. All the interviews I did with USAF personnel talked about the second-hand car market. In reality, these cars were fourth and fifth and sixth-hand. But the wear and tear was limited given that ownership would sometimes only be a year or two and not a lot of miles clocked up. There's also a slew of car dealerships that surround the base. Most (if not all) speak English given the proximity of the base and the American default towards car-ownership. You'll see signs outside saying stuff like: AMERICA OK! and whatnot. It's also entirely possible if you wanted to dump a vehicle, you'd just drive it across the way, sell it to Cars 2000, and then simply walk back to base. Of course, those dealerships would keep records. But 20+ years down the line...? Who knows.

But yes, in theory, there is a car still out there somewhere that was driven to Soshigaya Park and back. Given the killer kept his shoes on, despite shedding his own bloody clothes, it's entirely possible that some of the Miyazawa's forensic traces are in and around those pedals to this day, even if on an astronomically minute level. But it's the longest of shots.

Two things from this case that give me the most consternation is the killer's motive, and the actions (lack thereof) from the family next door. I've always felt there's a connection with these two issues. While it may be crass, I mentally refer to is as my "Mike Was A **** (handful) Theory"

Nic's reported that Mikio's coworkers are unwilling to talk about him. TMPD isn't releasing any personal information about Mikio. And, the Irie's are pretty tight lipped. Is this all in an effort to keep from Mikio being victim shamed or blamed?

In regards to the Irie family's silence. Based on Nic's soundproof expert, and common sense, it's safe to assume the family heard more than they reported. I wonder if Mikio occasionally lost his temper, and loud sounds next door weren't 'unheard' of? Maybe they thought it was another family quarrel? Were there previous instances where maybe they intervened with family arguments, and it only further exacerbated the situation?

I'm uncertain of the time frame when the soundproof materials were installed between the homes. However, we know Mikio paid for it. If it was installed after the homes in the area were being sold, and Mikio was going to be selling his/it was going to be torn down....why? Plus, it seems clear it was ineffective. I'm wondering if Mikio installed it as a show of face, out of frustration, to send a message concerning privacy, etc.?

Mikio possibly had "discussions" with whoever was parking their car too close to the home. Was the car owner possibly the POI? Was he parking there to access the park?

The skater angle is one that keeps coming up ad nauseam. However, I wonder if the killer witnessed Mikio arguing with them over the noise? Did Mikio become overtly angry? I've always felt there's 'something" to the skater angle. Obviously, so has TMPD, based on their intense investigations of skaters. But I don't think the killer was necessarily a skater. Based on the proximity of the tennis courts to the skate area in the park, maybe the killer merely witnessed the interaction?

Regardless of how the killer may have been involved with the skater argument, if you combine this with the car issues, you can start to see how some rage and anger might build. Especially in a pubescent teen, and doubly especially one with a military upbringing. To me, it presents a logical motive.

Last edited:
Two things from this case that give me the most consternation is the killer's motive, and the actions (lack thereof) from the family next door. I've always felt there's a connection with these two issues. While it may be crass, I mentally refer to is as my "Mike Was A **** (handful) Theory"

Nic's reported that Mikio's coworkers are unwilling to talk about him. TMPD isn't releasing any personal information about Mikio. And, the Irie's are pretty tight lipped. Is this all in an effort to keep from Mikio being victim shamed or blamed?

In regards to the Irie family's silence. Based on Nic's soundproof expert, and common sense, it's safe to assume the family heard more than they reported. I wonder if Mikio occasionally lost his temper, and loud sounds next door weren't 'unheard' of? Maybe they thought it was another family quarrel? Were there previous instances where maybe they intervened with family arguments, and it only further exacerbated the situation?

I'm uncertain of the time frame when the soundproof materials were installed between the homes. However, we know Mikio paid for it. If it was installed after the homes in the area were being sold, and Mikio was going to be selling his/it was going to be torn down....why? Plus, it seems clear it was ineffective. I'm wondering if Mikio installed it as a show of face, out of frustration, to send a message concerning privacy, etc.?

Mikio possibly had "discussions" with whoever was parking their car too close to the home. Was the car owner possibly the POI? Was he parking there to access the park?

The skater angle is one that keeps coming up ad nauseam. However, I wonder if the killer witnessed Mikio arguing with them over the noise? Did Mikio become overtly angry? I've always felt there's 'something" to the skater angle. Obviously, so has TMPD, based on their intense investigations of skaters. But I don't think the killer was necessarily a skater. Based on the proximity of the tennis courts to the skate area in the park, maybe the killer merely witnessed the interaction?

Regardless of how the killer may have been involved with the skater argument, if you combine this with the car issues, you can start to see how some rage and anger might build. Especially in a pubescent teen, and doubly especially one with a military upbringing. To me, it presents a logical motive.

You know, there may be two independent things happening.

- a killer, because of own issues, is contemplating killing somebody. He doesn’t care whom. He is not that aware of what makes one a successful killer, but intuitively, he finds the best pattern. There is zero connection between him and the family. This I can see.

- he is not that smart to know about DNA, which is slightly against a US school kid (unless he was a profoundly learning disabled person, because they studied DNA at the base school. But I doubt it.)

- I think that maybe he chose Miyazawa’s house for the reason you mentioned. Or at least, it was what guided his choice. He probably had several families in view, but maybe that day, the window was open, or something else.

- Anyhow, for 23 years the ball has been in TMPD corner. And if there are questions to ask of the relatives, it is why they have not become more proactive advocates for DNA testing in Japanese criminology.

From Nic's post above:

"I think it's quite possible the car stayed behind in Japan (with his family) after he left."

Well, this answers the biggest stumbling block I've had in regard to the Yakota POI: What would be the likelihood of this kid suffering a signal emotional event, so severe that it triggers murderous rage, within a very short time of his parent being scheduled to be deployed back to the states, especially having had been stationed in Japan for quite a few years. An incredible stroke of luck, serendipity, karma, and kismet all rolled into one for the guy.

More likely, he left. His family didn't. Why didn't I think of this before??? This is why I'm not quitting my day job.

More likely, he left. His family didn't. Why didn't I think of this before??? This is why I'm not quitting my day job.
RSBM: yes, in the case of my POI; he left Japan pretty shortly after the murders, his parents stayed behind for more than a year. Possibly a couple, I’d have to go back to my research but from memory, yes.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back