Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be bloodstained, especially on the back. Might the killer have tried to wash his clothes there in the house before giving up and taking the dad's? That would seem to be at odds with the son that the clothes were washed in hard water right? But maybe it was the condition of the clothes that caused them to say they were washed in hard water. Maybe he just put a bunch of bleach in with them.

This avenue does seem like pretty wild speculation but if he had just washed his clothes it might explain why he folded them, out of habit.
I know that this will sound like a strange question but do we know if the investigation team took either the washing machine from the residence or samples from the inlet and outlet valve
I’m thinking of the evidentiary proof of washing the bloody clothes

I know that this will sound like a strange question but do we know if the investigation team took either the washing machine from the residence or samples from the inlet and outlet valve
I’m thinking of the evidentiary proof of washing the bloody clothes

I don't know that, I'm afraid. That said, I'm not even certain there was a washing machine in the house (though I assume there was).

To return the anecdote, my father is from Spain but I grew up, since childhood, in London. I still visited Spain annually each summer and sometimes Christmas.

However, I never rented an apartment, had a bank account there, very minimal paper trail. When I'm in London speaking in English, I pass for English. When I'm in Spain speaking in Spanish, I pass for Spanish.

Our killer could well fall anywhere on the scale of fluency, local nous, familiarity with Japanese culture/customs.
I think somebody like you (but not you) would make the ideal perpetrator: Extensive ties to another country, bilingual, little paperwork trail and thus the ability to "vanish" fast back to his dual home country.

I also agree with you that we dont truly know how acculturated to Japan he is. Likewise, there is no evidence of the elvel of contact with Setagawa residents that would make a foreigner noticeable.

As a result, he could be either an American Asian (perhaps with a spin to his Asian side) or Asian American connected to the base.

Subjectively, however, I think the following reduce the chances of a base connection:

- US base commanders have a profound love of tranquility and harmony regarding base life. That does not mean that there are no problem people on bases- but they tend to get noticed early and documented.

- Crime associated with US bases and perhaps overly generous SOFA privilages is a hot button issue in Japan.

- The TMPD has blood type, finger prints and DNA of the killer and can easily eliminate suspects with out interrogations etc.

Thus... I dont think the Japanese police would have to identify a specific "base connectee" to receive extensive US assistance.

Rather, I suspect that US authorities would screen for suspects (Asian male, type A blood). As a military dependent, my blood type was on my ID card. For example:

- We have X number of male Asian servicemen and X number of contractors with that blood type. Fingerprints are on computer records and can be searched by computer. Give us copies of the prints and we"ll see what comes up. Oh yeah, we also have some dependents including:

Daniel Cho, 17 yrs old known for erratic aggression, confrontations with base police etc. Next time Cho chunks a coke can into the bushes (does that all the time), we"ll have his prints.

Kenneth "Kinichi" Suzuki 18 years old, son of a long term contractor. Creeped out some teachers at the base school with his "art". Now lives with father off base and goes to Japanese school. You should be able to get his prints easy.

To return the anecdote, my father is from Spain but I grew up, since childhood, in London. I still visited Spain annually each summer and sometimes Christmas.

However, I never rented an apartment, had a bank account there, very minimal paper trail. When I'm in London speaking in English, I pass for English. When I'm in Spain speaking in Spanish, I pass for Spanish.

Our killer could well fall anywhere on the scale of fluency, local nous, familiarity with Japanese culture/customs.
I think somebody like you (but not you) would make the ideal perpetrator: Extensive ties to another country, bilingual, little paperwork trail and thus the ability to "vanish" fast back to his dual home country.

I also agree with you that we dont truly know how acculturated to Japan he is. Likewise, there is no evidence of the elvel of contact with Setagawa residents that would make a foreigner noticeable.

As a result, he could be either an American Asian (perhaps with a spin to his Asian side) or Asian American connected to the base.

Subjectively, however, I think the following reduce the chances of a base connection:

- US base commanders have a profound love of tranquility and harmony regarding base life. That does not mean that there are no problem people on bases- but they tend to get noticed early and documented.

- Crime associated with US bases and perhaps overly generous SOFA privilages is a hot button issue in Japan.

- The TMPD has blood type, finger prints and DNA of the killer and can easily eliminate suspects with out interrogations etc.

Thus... I dont think the Japanese police would have to identify a specific "base connectee" to receive extensive US assistance.

Rather, I suspect that US authorities would screen for suspects (Asian male, type A blood). As a military dependent, my blood type was on my ID card. For example:

- We have X number of male Asian servicemen and X number of contractors with that blood type. Fingerprints are on computer records and can be searched by computer. Give us copies of the prints and we"ll see what comes up. Oh yeah, we also have some dependents including:

Daniel Cho, 17 yrs old known for erratic aggression, confrontations with base police etc. Next time Cho chunks a coke can (and especially a barley tea) into the bushes, we"ll have his prints. Cho is always chunking things somewhere.

Kenneth "Kinichi" Suzuki 18 years old, son of a long term contractor. Creeped out some teachers at the base school with his "art". Now lives with father off base and goes to Japanese school. You should be able to get his prints easy.

I wonder why the murderer was rummaging through papers. What was he looking for? Could it be some documents? Of what type? Did any disappear? I am far from thinking, conspiracy or spy theories, rather, that mr. Miyazawa was targeted by mistake? The murderer stays in the house for a while, feeling almost at home, you know? This is strange. (This being said, I do have an intuitive feeling that the murderer is young and not quite stable, maybe having unusual delusions about Mr. Miyazawa).

Daniel Cho, 17 yrs old known for erratic aggression, confrontations with base police etc. Next time Cho chunks a coke can into the bushes (does that all the time), we"ll have his prints.

I like that we have character names -- Daniel Cho/Ken Suzuki! Great detail about the blood type appearing on ID. And yes, Cryptic. You may well be right that a solid connection to Yokota / other US military base in Japan is improbable.

I can only relate what the local journalists told me, that they didn't think it would be so easy for the TMPD to even know *how* to approach asking for that cooperation. (Plus, it could well be that this connection wasn't imagined until years after the murders). So, even if there would have been cooperation from the US side, has it ever even been sought? I would imagine that if this possible connection has occurred to me, it's occurred to them.

But even if a connection is improbable, we're still left with a problem: how does he get sand from an air force base in California on him? One obvious answer to that is that he's been there himself. How does he have shoes only available in Korea on him? I'm riffing here, but I'm pretty sure there's a weekly flight to Osan from Yokota.

I agree with you that the chances of the killer being directly connected to a US air base are still slim. But given the dearth or any particularly solid working theories, it does at least provide an explanation for the things he leaves in the house, his international connections, and his ability to simply vanish despite being the most hunted man in the country.

I wonder why the murderer was rummaging through papers. What was he looking for? Could it be some documents? Of what type? Did any disappear? I am far from thinking, conspiracy or spy theories, rather, that mr. Miyazawa was targeted by mistake? The murderer stays in the house for a while, feeling almost at home, you know? This is strange. (This being said, I do have an intuitive feeling that the murderer is young and not quite stable, maybe having unusual delusions about Mr. Miyazawa).

I've wondered about that too, Charlot.

I think it's possible we're assuming he was looking *for* something whereas he was simply looking. As far as I understand it, the only thing that was ever confirmed as missing from the house was some of their cash (though not all of it, money left prominently by the family computer --which we know he used-- was left in place). For a time there was some talk of him having taken their new years greeting cards but it later transpired that these had merely been removed by the police.

And according to his own colleagues at Interbrand, Mikio wasn't working on anything sensitive. But let's go with the theory of some sort of corporate murder: why would the killer use a sushi knife purchased the day before locally from a supermarket? Why would he use the toilet and then place documents in there? Why would he beat Niina to the point where she loses her front teeth before stabbing her in the spine? Why would he have to strange Rei to death the moment he enters the house? Why would he then stay in the house eating ice cream and drinking their tea. Why would he steal their money? Why would he leave his own clothes behind (suggesting he would leave the house on foot and therefore might be noticed given he's covered in blood -- surely he'd have a car). We know the police spoke to his colleagues at Interbrand, surely they may have uncovered even the possibility of Mikio being connected to a sensitive work project? And ignoring all of this, then we'd be left with the possibility of the assassin being 15-20 years old.

So, while he may have looked through their documents, I can only assume he wanted to take more money or was perhaps looking for bank information. We know he stole money, maybe he wanted more? (Though this doesn't explain why he left behind cash that was prominently visible).

I can't discount the killer was there for Mikio. But if I was a betting man, I would say it's more likely he was there for Yasuko or perhaps Niina. That, at least, would explain the difference in violence that the males suffered in the house versus the females.

I think it's possible we're assuming he was looking *for* something whereas he was simply looking. As far as I understand it, the only thing that was ever confirmed as missing from the house was some of their cash (though not all of it, money left prominently by the family computer --which we know he used-- was left in place). For a time there was some talk of him having taken their new years greeting cards but it later transpired that these had merely been removed by the police.

And according to his own colleagues at Interbrand, Mikio wasn't working on anything sensitive. But let's go with the theory of some sort of corporate murder: why would the killer use a sushi knife purchased the day before locally from a supermarket? Why would he use the toilet and then place documents in there? Why would he beat Niina to the point where she loses her front teeth before stabbing her in the spine? Why would he have to strange Rei to death the moment he enters the house? Why would he then stay in the house eating ice cream and drinking their tea. Why would he steal their money? Why would he leave his own clothes behind (suggesting he would leave the house on foot and therefore might be noticed given he's covered in blood -- surely he'd have a car). We know the police spoke to his colleagues at Interbrand, surely they may have uncovered even the possibility of Mikio being connected to a sensitive work project? And ignoring all of this, then we'd be left with the possibility of the assassin being 15-20 years old.

So, while he may have looked through their documents, I can only assume he wanted to take more money or was perhaps looking for bank information. We know he stole money, maybe he wanted more? (Though this doesn't explain why he left behind cash that was prominently visible).

I can't discount the killer was there for Mikio. But if I was a betting man, I would say it's more likely he was there for Yasuko or perhaps Niina. That, at least, would explain the difference in violence that the males suffered in the house versus the females.
Maybe he believed he was owed a specific amount of money and took that much but no more. Maybe he felt one of his victims was the one who owed him money so he only took what he believed to be their money and not other money.

Like for example if it was a student who paid for tutoring and still failed his exams he might have come looking for the specific money he paid.

I am not that concerned about corporate killing. Not that style, sloppy. A young man who stayed in the house, somewhat dissociated, after the murders, does not look like a corporate killer.

But, in Japan, people tend to stay with the company for a long time, to grow with it. Considering that the company was "Inter", could Mikio travel abroad, for work?

Personally, I have a feeling - just my feeling, not an opinion - that the father was Japanese, even if his Y-haplotype is more often met among Chinese and Korean populations. Y- does not need to match autosomal, more recent, ethnicity. (Maybe the murderer's Y came to Asia during Mongol invasion, who knows? What haplogroup is it?).

Here is an interesting article about Asian Y.

Inferring human history in East Asia from Y chromosomes

I don't see - from what i have read - a direct connection to Yokota base. If it is all based on the sand, maybe the connection is to California, specifically. He could have been traveling there and took the sand as a souvenir. (Would be interesting to look at the list of people who disappeared in the Mojave desert. )

As to women being more savagely killed, the question can be flipped. Why was the boy killed with less violence? And also, why did the killer behave after the killings in a way as if it were his home? Some transference?

I am not that concerned about corporate killing. Not that style, sloppy. A young man who stayed in the house, somewhat dissociated, after the murders, does not look like a corporate killer.

But, in Japan, people tend to stay with the company for a long time, to grow with it. Considering that the company was "Inter", could Mikio travel abroad, for work?

Personally, I have a feeling - just my feeling, not an opinion - that the father was Japanese, even if his Y-haplotype is more often met among Chinese and Korean populations. Y- does not need to match autosomal, more recent, ethnicity. (Maybe the murderer's Y came to Asia during Mongol invasion, who knows? What haplogroup is it?).

Here is an interesting article about Asian Y.

Inferring human history in East Asia from Y chromosomes

I don't see - from what i have read - a direct connection to Yokota base. If it is all based on the sand, maybe the connection is to California, specifically. He could have been traveling there and took the sand as a souvenir. (Would be interesting to look at the list of people who disappeared in the Mojave desert. )

As to women being more savagely killed, the question can be flipped. Why was the boy killed with less violence? And also, why did the killer behave after the killings in a way as if it were his home? Some transference?

Interbrand is an English company so yes, it's quite possible Mikio travelled abroad. There is some mention of the killer's haplogroups online. Wikipedia says this:

It's considered possible that the European maternal DNA comes from a distant ancestor from the mother's line rather than a fully European mother. Analysis of the Y-chromosome showed the Haplogroup O-M122, a common haplogroup distributed in East Asian peoples, appearing in 1 in 4 or 5 Koreans, 1 in 10 Chinese, and 1 in 13 Japanese.[10] These results led to TMPD to seek assistance through the International Criminal Police Organization as the killer may not be Japanese or present in Japan.

Then again, I have some reservations/doubts about the Wikipedia page given its sources and variation in wording from its source articles. Source [10], for example, says nothing about haplogroups...

And you are right, Charlot. There is no direct connection to Yokota. There is, however, a direct connection to Edwards Air Base in California. (Sand experts have confirmed that a police authority could easily determine the origin of the sand to its original location). Edwards is a secured military base. I have been to its perimeter. It would not be possible to 'visit' without authorisation. UNLESS, of course, the killer was a visitor to the annual air show. If that was the case, there would a record of him.

There are a considerable number of missing persons records tied to the Mojave Desert -- as well as Jane and John Does. The Mojave Desert is a massive area, however. Without opening up a can of worms, interestingly, the closest town to Edwards Air Base also has a series of unsolved murders, including a home invasion killing. BUT, for reasons I can't share, it's clear these have nothing to do with the murderer in this case.

Last edited:
Maybe he believed he was owed a specific amount of money and took that much but no more. Maybe he felt one of his victims was the one who owed him money so he only took what he believed to be their money and not other money.

Like for example if it was a student who paid for tutoring and still failed his exams he might have come looking for the specific money he paid.

It's quite possible. Japan is largely a cash-based society as opposed to credit cards etc. Especially 22 years ago.

But then I suppose if he had some warped sense of 'fairness' or only taking what was his, he did also take Mikio's clothing, and the family's food. Is it possible he simply didn't notice the money on the ground floor by the PC? Or reminded himself to take it before he left and forgot?

Welcome, @FacelessPodcast! I just finished reading all the posts and haven't yet dug into the videos and articles so I have little to contribute. I mainly wanted to mention a few things I've learned from travels to Japan that may or may not have any relevance to this case.

I've never been to Tokyo - the closest I've been is Yokohama; my daughter lives in Osaka so I'm more familiar with that area and Kyoto. She speaks Japanese like a native and can read and write kanji. IMO she, along with a few American and Canadian friends who wanted to assimilate into Japanese culture went overboard, at least early on, in trying to act "Japanese." One young Canadian born Chinese woman actually left Japan after feeling like Japanese people treated her as an outcast. It's a tough culture.

So IMO you're wise not to exclude the possibility of the killer being a foreigner regardless of their Japanese-like behavior. My daughter loves chicken nankotsu (chicken cartilage on skewers - bleagh) but that doesn't make her Japanese, lol.

FWIW... my daughter's washing machine is a combo washer/dryer. It's nearly impossible to buy a separate dryer. I don't know about water softeners but it totally mangles clothes. She hangs nearly everything to dry and what gets dried in the machine comes out horribly wrinkled and needs to be ironed.

Anyway, I enjoy your writing style and will follow this case even if I can't be helpful. Best of luck!

Welcome, @FacelessPodcast! I just finished reading all the posts and haven't yet dug into the videos and articles so I have little to contribute. I mainly wanted to mention a few things I've learned from travels to Japan that may or may not have any relevance to this case.

I've never been to Tokyo - the closest I've been is Yokohama; my daughter lives in Osaka so I'm more familiar with that area and Kyoto. She speaks Japanese like a native and can read and write kanji. IMO she, along with a few American and Canadian friends who wanted to assimilate into Japanese culture went overboard, at least early on, in trying to act "Japanese." One young Canadian born Chinese woman actually left Japan after feeling like Japanese people treated her as an outcast. It's a tough culture.

So IMO you're wise not to exclude the possibility of the killer being a foreigner regardless of their Japanese-like behavior. My daughter loves chicken nankotsu (chicken cartilage on skewers - bleagh) but that doesn't make her Japanese, lol.

FWIW... my daughter's washing machine is a combo washer/dryer. It's nearly impossible to buy a separate dryer. I don't know about water softeners but it totally mangles clothes. She hangs nearly everything to dry and what gets dried in the machine comes out horribly wrinkled and needs to be ironed.

Anyway, I enjoy your writing style and will follow this case even if I can't be helpful. Best of luck!

Thank you for your kind message, MsMarple! (Great name, by the way :) ) And you're very kind re: my writing style. I'm actually a crime author by profession so I suppose I have a built-in advantage in that sense.

As for your point about culture, I agree. My friends in Japan, both mixed-race or simply foreigners who've married and had children there, have all talked about it being a tough culture to fully integrate into. My (very general) impression is that while people might treat you with great kindness and you might make friends there, to fully 'assimilate' into the culture is a different matter altogether in in comparison to, say, America. (I can vouch for that personally). That's not to say it's impossible and of course, this is all based on anecdote, but yes, I do agree that there are easier places to fit in if you're not native.

And that's a good point about the washer/dryer combo. In the case of the Miyazawa family, it's somewhat different as they did actually have the space for an individual dryer (I'm guessing in their garage?). So, that's something of a rarity. But how the killer washed his clothes in life, that's anyone's guess. My experience of Japanese apartments -at least in Tokyo and most of the other major cities- is that the floor space alone required for an individual dryer would tend to make it preventative.

And for the record, I am not a fan of cartilage either... :confused:

I'm riffing here, but I'm pretty sure there's a weekly flight to Osan from Yokota.

I like that distinct possibility.

Maybe.....

Daniel Cho ambles off the routine flight from Osan airbase to Yokota airbase. Cho is 17 with a slender but wiry strong / agile build from time on the high school wrestling team.

Daniel also comes with a series of "low yellow" flags- racks up fouls in wrestling , "angry loner" type personality, fights at school. etc Likewise, he has a run in with base police regarding vandalism.

If Daniel stopped to think about it (Daniel rarely thinks of anything besides his wants), he is also different from his very 'Merican- Asian peers at Osan airbase:

- Daniel is 1/4 white from his maternal grandfather (abusive US serviceman who never acknowledged his mother's birth in 1960.) As not alot of grandfather's mediterranean features show though, Cho has few mixed ethnicity features.

- Cho is also bilingual and bi cultural. His father, Tim Cho, a senior NCO at the base from SOCAL requested re-assignment to Osan from Edwards to provide care for his "Korean Korean" wife's ailing father. The family has lived off base for three years and speaks Korean at home (Tim had to re-learn it too). Daniel still goes to school on base, but is perfectly comfortable in cultural Asian settings, wears Korean brand clothes and eats Korean food.

Getting off the plane.....

Daniel is referred to Japanese customs at Yokota as his father is assigned to Osan. Airforce staff have also been ordered to cut no corners regarding who is, or is not Japan 'sofa'.

Settling in at Yokota.....

Daniel will be there for three weeks visiting relatives. Three days later, the introverted Daniel is bored- and a bored Daniels is not a good thing. Daniel blows through the 'Merican centered entertainment found on the base's "strip" fast. Then, feeling fully comfortable away from other 'Mericans, he starts to roam. Daniel tends to eat Asian, buys clothes on the Japanese market.

Setagawa....

Daniels bored roaming takes him to Setagawa where he has a negative run in with the father at the skate park. Cho's inherent aggression- never far under the surface, is awakened.

Vowing revenge, he buys a knife and determines which house the annoying father came from..... . Following the murders, Cho returns to Osan.

Last edited:
This isn't strictly related to the investigation itself but today I found out that the original investigator on the case, Chief Takeshi Tsuchida, also released two musical records in Japan. He writes his own lyrics it seems...

土田猛 - TOWER RECORDS ONLINE

Just when I thought the guy couldn't get any cooler...

Last edited:
Question for the group:

If you could ask one of the original investigators of the Miyazawa case anything, what would you ask?

Thanks as ever for your thoughts, folks. Truly appreciated.

And another question while I'm at it. In theory, would there be any way to legally look a list of servicemen stationed at an airbase by year?

Question for the group:

If you could ask one of the original investigators of the Miyazawa case anything, what would you ask?

I would like to know the exact characteristics of the sand that led then to the conclusion it came from Edwards AFB. It seems to be taken as incontrovertible fact but it seems incongruous with the rest of the evidence.

Question for the group:

I would ask how they determined with such apparent certainty that Rei was the first to be killed.

Because aside from the absence of blood on him, every single thing I’ve read in this thread about the situation points to him being killed last.

Based on the information here (which is as far as my familiarity with the case goes) I feel like the killer either didn’t know that Rei existed, or if he did, he was unfamiliar with the layout of the house, and as a result didn’t know he was even there until well after the initial murders (say, an hour or so, after he had bandaged his hand and done other things around the house).

I think this is an especially important matter because at least to me, the circumstances around Rei’s murder have potentially massive implications toward determining both the killers primary target and how much advance familiarity he had with the family.

I would ask when was the last time any of the physical/forensic evidence was processed, what testing/analysis was done, & what avenues did they pursue to try to match it to anyone?

I feel like with so many strides in dna analysis, computing power, etc., over the past ten years, they really need to re-examine all the tons of evidence left behind.

A second question: Did they seek the help or input of any other groups when investigating since something of this magnitude was so unusual & (therefore) likely outside their areas of expertise? If so, who & in what capacity? If not, would they do so now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB