Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What they say officially is that they will not give up. The detective I've been talking to at length is now retired so I want to make clear that his opinions were only his and not that officially of the TMPD.

That said, it does seem as if DNA and evolving technology is the way forward. So, it's hard to answer but I do think there is a degree of positivity. The latter episodes will shed more light on this and my own thoughts about what they've done, where we go from here. Thanks for listening, ck!
Oh man, I just listened to 4 episodes and my morning duties flew by! A question regarding the three person theory - was there more than one suspect's DNA found at the scene (in the clothes, stool, saliva, anywhere)? I might have missed it either in the discussion here or in the podcast but it seems like such a major point. Thanks in advance! I usually don't do podcasts because they are so slooowww compared to reading but you guys did a fantastic job. It was riveting!

Oh man, I just listened to 4 episodes and my morning duties flew by! A question regarding the three person theory - was there more than one suspect's DNA found at the scene (in the clothes, stool, saliva, anywhere)? I might have missed it either in the discussion here or in the podcast but it seems like such a major point. Thanks in advance! I usually don't do podcasts because they are so slooowww compared to reading but you guys did a fantastic job. It was riveting!
Thanks so much, annemc2! Very much appreciated, so glad you're enjoying.

To answer your question, no -- only the killer's DNA was found at the scene. Ditto his clothes, fingerprints and footprints. In the podcast, I have to make out like I'm swayed by the discovery of each theory. But in reality, for two other men to be part of this crime, they would have had to have been able to magically move around the house leaving no trace. Fairly impossible given the blood everywhere. Plus where were they while the killer ate ice cream, browsed the computer, rested on the couch etc. And if they were getaway men, why did he wait so long in the house with them outside? And it's not much of a getaway--hailing a taxi. Also, if three killers were coming to the house, why did only one bring a knife? So basically no, I don't buy the three killers theory!

I'm a bit confused (not an unusual state for me). So who lived in the 'attached' house. My understanding is that it was Grandma and sis and her hubby (and their teenage son). If this is correct, who lived in the house across the street?
The house immediately next door belonged to Haruko -- the maternal grandmother. It was bought -initially I think as her residence- but then as time moved on, An Irie, the maternal sister, her husband and son moved in. They had previously been working in England. So yes, at the time of the murders, all four were in the house next door. They report only hearing a bumping sound around 11:30pm, I think it was.

The house across was inhabited, I believe. You have to go far into the weeds to read about them but essentially, it was confirmed by the Chief that they were ruled out. I'm assuming that means they were fingerprinted. Also they would have known they were looking for a male pretty early on so that would've been enough to rule out any women.

And I believe there was one more house inhabited at the time of the murders, but either they weren't present on the night or they were ruled out somehow too.

Yeah, I've never understood that. Does he just assume everyone will be asleep? He believes he can pull it off silently?

There is actually one potential explanation. I wish I could open that up but unfortunately I can't get into it here for legal reasons.
Is there a soupçon of a pittance of a hint that might lead to a direction in which to think about this? If not, I totally understand ;)

Is there a soupçon of a pittance of a hint that might lead to a direction in which to think about this? If not, I totally understand ;)
Haha well I am a sucker for the word soupçon...

Obviously, I can't name names here. Trying to think of what I can get away with mentioning.

But I suppose I can tell you that there is one potential theory out there, buried deep. We don't get into it in the podcast for legal reasons. But I can tell you that you might want to think about closer to home than Korea or a Californian desert...

Sorry, I know that's vague.

1666125017435.png

1666125061553.png
Magda Szymanska
Jan 24, 2021
rbbm.
''Japanese police have asked South Korea for help with identifying the culprit. It was the first request of this kind, but it was ultimately refused by the South Korean government.

Based on the physical strength needed to climb a fence and access the second-floor window, police put the culprit in the 15–35 age bracket; with his height reaching around 170 cm (5'7 ft). The hair strands found in his fanny pack suggest he had dark-brown or black, short hair.

Some speculate the intruder has an army background due to his walk style — small steps taken with back planted to a wall. According to one of the investigators, he could have walked like this to avoid slipping from the bloodied stairs.

Perpetrator’s belonging

The murderer left a lot — if not his whole outfit — behind, in Miyazawa’s living room, on their sofa. In international circles, the most attention has fallen on his fanny pack, where the police have found traces of sand, supposedly originating in Southwest of America. Curiously enough, while some Japanese newspapers did mention this finding, there is no information about it on Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department’s website.''

''Western onlookers focused on the bag but for the Japanese public, the shoes were the most interesting element. British brand Slazengers had produced this particular model in South Korea. It was sold in both South Korea and Japan, but only South Korea sold the shoe in size matching the perpetrator’s footprints. This is the second item originating from South Korea.''

1666125290809.png
1666125206750.png

Attachments

• 1666125096071.png
    1666125096071.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 2
For those who have listened to episodes 5 and 6 of the Faceless podcast, an interesting detail. You heard me talking about Monazite, the blogger who was fascinated by the Miyazawa murders. He uses the internet pseudonym, 'Monazite' -- he chose the name based on the fact that it was an element found in the killer's hip bag.

Well, I'm looking at the US Geological Survey website, and it turns out that the mineral can be found in the Mojave Desert...

USGS Publications Warehouse

I'd actually never seen the thing about the hard water leading the TMPD to think he was Korean.

This article is the first time I've seen it. But they give no supporting links or sources, despite saying it's been 'fact-checked'. If it's never been in any of the credible newspapers, I would love to know how Listverse has fact-checked that.

In any case, a quick search shows that even within Japan there seems to be significant variety in water hardness. If there was uniform hardness throughout the country, that might be one vague detail we could accept as *maybe* pointing away from the country. But as it is...

(Side note: this graph seems to suggest Tokyo has the 13th highest water hardness in the country anyway??)

https://media.springernature.com/lw685/springer-static/image/art:10.1038/s41598-021-92949-8/MediaObjects/41598_2021_92949_Fig3_HTML.png?as=webp
FacelessPodcast, thanks for talking about this case.
In Japan, we call this case "Setagaya Family Murder Case" or "Setagaya Case" after the name of the municipality.

About hard water in Japan. Most parts of Japan have soft water, but Okinawa has hard water. In Japan, laundry detergent for hard water is sold only in Okinawa.

I am Japanese. Please be aware that I read and write with automatic web translation.

The name "Monazite" was extremely interesting. There were some real zingers in these episodes. One of my favorites was something like "she's married to the police chief" of California City. I really enjoy the serious investigation along with some lighthearted and more personal anecdotes. I have to wonder if most of us who lurk here have, at some point, been convinced that the bad guy was way too close for comfort. I remember years ago getting freaked out by the WS poster Mint Car in the EAR/ONS threads. And that was just anonymous online chatter!

These two episodes were heavy. I'm going to have to give them another listen to make sure I got everything. The ending is so frustrating yet tantalizing! I have a feeling that this is not the end of the story...

eta - going to ask my extremely Minecraft-literate children if they know about monazite. Apparently it exists in the game but I'm not sure about the rarity. It's just such an odd moniker.

one more edit - is there/will there be a transcript of the podcast @FacelessPodcast?

Regarding monazite fwiw.. (For what it is worth)
June 13, 2000
''TOKYO (AP) _ Japanese police searched two stockpiles of radioactive ore Tuesday, looking for the source of small amounts of the material mailed anonymously to several government offices.

Envelopes containing particles of monazite, a source of the nuclear fuel thorium, were sent to the official residence of Japan’s prime minister and nine other agencies last week.

At least one of the envelopes included a message warning that radioactive materials were being sent from Japan to North Korea.''

Regarding monazite fwiw.. (For what it is worth)
June 13, 2000
''TOKYO (AP) _ Japanese police searched two stockpiles of radioactive ore Tuesday, looking for the source of small amounts of the material mailed anonymously to several government offices.

Envelopes containing particles of monazite, a source of the nuclear fuel thorium, were sent to the official residence of Japan’s prime minister and nine other agencies last week.

At least one of the envelopes included a message warning that radioactive materials were being sent from Japan to North Korea.''
Whoa, that is super weird. Kamiina is only 2 hours and 45 minutes from Setagaya. Who even knows about monazite, anyway? I've never even heard of it. Seems pretty niche.

The EPA says Thorium is used to make ceramics, welding rods, camera and telescope lenses, fire brick, heat resistant paint and metals used in the aerospace industry, as well as in nuclear reactions. Thorium has the potential to be used as a fuel for generating nuclear energy.Jul 5, 2022

More re: that monazite story:

Since mid-June, some 21 tons of monazite have been found at various locations in Tokyo, Ibaraki, Saitama, Chiba, Nagano, Gifu and Mie prefectures, and police have questioned Hiroshi Ikeda, 84, who heads an organization that is technically responsible for the material.

So is it likely that the monazite in the hip bag originated in Japan rather than the SW US?

Whoa, that is super weird. Kamiina is only 2 hours and 45 minutes from Setagaya. Who even knows about monazite, anyway? I've never even heard of it. Seems pretty niche.

The EPA says Thorium is used to make ceramics, welding rods, camera and telescope lenses, fire brick, heat resistant paint and metals used in the aerospace industry, as well as in nuclear reactions. Thorium has the potential to be used as a fuel for generating nuclear energy.Jul 5, 2022
Noting there was an arrest.
''Police arrested on Saturday a 42-year-old man on suspicion of mailing radioactive materials to 10 government offices last week with a message claiming nuclear materials were being smuggled to North Korea.
Police arrested Tsugio Uchinishi, of Tokyo’s Nakano Ward, and searched eight locations, including his residence, police officials said.''

FacelessPodcast, thanks for talking about this case.
In Japan, we call this case "Setagaya Family Murder Case" or "Setagaya Case" after the name of the municipality.

About hard water in Japan. Most parts of Japan have soft water, but Okinawa has hard water. In Japan, laundry detergent for hard water is sold only in Okinawa.

I am Japanese. Please be aware that I read and write with automatic web translation.

Thank you for your reply, Guilleume. And welcome to WS! I find the point about hard/soft water interesting. The water is also considered hard or very hard in California as I understand it.

The name "Monazite" was extremely interesting. There were some real zingers in these episodes. One of my favorites was something like "she's married to the police chief" of California City. I really enjoy the serious investigation along with some lighthearted and more personal anecdotes. I have to wonder if most of us who lurk here have, at some point, been convinced that the bad guy was way too close for comfort. I remember years ago getting freaked out by the WS poster Mint Car in the EAR/ONS threads. And that was just anonymous online chatter!

These two episodes were heavy. I'm going to have to give them another listen to make sure I got everything. The ending is so frustrating yet tantalizing! I have a feeling that this is not the end of the story...

eta - going to ask my extremely Minecraft-literate children if they know about monazite. Apparently it exists in the game but I'm not sure about the rarity. It's just such an odd moniker.

one more edit - is there/will there be a transcript of the podcast @FacelessPodcast?

Thank you, annemc2!

I'll find out if there'll be a transcript :)

More re: that monazite story:

So is it likely that the monazite in the hip bag originated in Japan rather than the SW US?
The only people who could answer where the monazite originated from is the TMPD.

But to be clear, I think it was found WITHIN the sand. And the sand EITHER comes from around Edwards, or the Miura Peninsula. Those are the only two possibilities, apparently.

The second mystery is why the clue of the sand isn't prioritised. It's mentioned only in passing in the police literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties