DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MIYAZAWA FAMILY MURDERS—
CASE BREAKDOWN [Part 1 of 2]

MIYAZAWA FAMILY MURDERS—
CASE BREAKDOWN [Part 2 of 2]

THE KILLER
As you will have no doubt already noticed, one of the really strange aspects of this case is just how much we know about the killer. Pretty much everything except for a name. Here is an outline of what we have. The information that is still listed on the TMPD website to date:

*The killer was 170cm (around 5 ft 6ish—5 ft 7).
*He was slim (waist 70-75cm).
*He wore size L in clothing.
*He was ‘relatively young’ judging by his clothes. (These are their words, not mine).
*He was probably right-handed.
*He was between 18-35 years of age…

HOWEVER, in 2018, the TMPD updated his age range at the time of the murders, revising it downwards. This news article breaks it down. (Switch subtitles to auto-translate).

So, it now seems as if the killer was actually between 15 and 20 years of age. To my mind, the police have to have more than just his clothes seem to belong to a young man. There has to be something else here.

BLOOD EVIDENCE
We know that the killer was male. We know that he was BLOOD TYPE A. We also know that he left a fair amount of his blood at the scene and that he likely injured his right hand during the attack. The police do say it’s possible that this wound may have healed by now though.

Intriguingly, in 2005 the TMPD announced that the killer may have had a mixed-race background. According to them, it’s possible that his mother (or her parents) came from a country close to the Adriatic Sea. On the other hand, his father was East Asian. As I understand it, the DNA shares genetic markers found in 1 in 4 Koreans, 1 in 10 Chinese, and 1 in 13 Japanese. But there isn’t a great deal of clarity on this, at least on the part of the TMPD in English press releases. We do know that the TMPD asked their Korean counterparts for help with the case. I don’t have all the details here but from the sounds of it, this was something of a first due to the historical and geopolitical relationship between the two nations. I’ve read that the TMPD were refused but I’ve also read that later on, they cooperated together. As it’s 22 years on with no suspects, we can assume this didn’t lead to anything. At any rate, I think I’m right in saying that all South Korean citizens must get their fingerprints taken for the national ID card at the age of 18. But from conversations I’ve had with DNA experts, they’re not so sure how definitive anyone could be in 2005 about where exactly the killer’s parents were from based on the techniques used at the time. Don’t quote me on that, I’m not scientist – I just want to make it clear that it’s also quite possible the killer doesn’t conventionally look mixed-race to the average Joe walking down the streets of Setagaya.

FINGERPRINTS
As I say, the TMPD have the killer’s fingerprints. Foreigners entering Japan must submit their fingerprints to gain access to the country on a tourist visa/visa-waiver entry. Their photograph is also taken. However, this system was introduced in 2007, I believe.

DIET
As previously mentioned, the killer defecated in the toilet. The police analysed this and concluded he had eaten string beans and sesame seeds prior to the murders. I think I’m right in saying that this dish is considered comfort food in Japan. I’ve even read in certain places that the police thought him to be a “momma’s boy” based on this and other elements I’ll touch on later on. The possibility that the killer lived with his mother has certainly been considered by the police.

Also, note that of the food available in the house, he ate ice cream cups (without using a spoon, I think he squeezed it out of the cup). I’ve always wondered about that. If he’s hungry, why the ice cream? It almost seems infantile somehow, late-night dessert.

ODOUR
The killer wore Drakkar Noir aftershave which cost around $30USD a bottle at that time. It was popular and available throughout the country but that’s a detail that always stuck with me. The killer likes to smell good.

PERSONALITY
I won’t go into too much detail here as it is, for however many experts I’ve spoken to in profiling, psychology and so on, still just speculation. What’s clear is that he prepares for the murder by buying a knife before, quite possibly along with clothes, and maybe even watches the family ahead of the murders. He brings gloves along with him. That suggests the capacity, however rudimentary, for planning.

But then he never uses those gloves. He attacks Rei first, who is most likely the least threat of all the victims to him. He cuts himself in the first usage of the knife. He has to abort his attack on Yasuko and Niina half-way through as it’s no longer working properly. He spends a considerable amount of time in the house, maybe as long as 10 or more hours. He leaves behind 16,000 pieces of evidence. It’s almost as if he’s so unconcerned by this that he’s brazenly saying to the police: it doesn’t matter what you have on me. Not to assume he’s even thinking about the police or playing some kind of cinematic game with them. But defecating on items that belong to the family suggests, at the very least, that he wasn’t terrified by the events that had just taken place. So, on the other hand, a master assassin he is NOT. And a lot of strange decisions were made by him that seemed to negate some of his (apparent) planning. Yet, despite this, despite 280,000 TMPD personnel across 22 years, he just walks out of that house and vanishes? He’s either a teenage amateur murderer who leaves 16,000 pieces of evidence behind or he’s Jason Bourne? It seems to make no sense for him to be both. Anyway, this is just a speculative tangent from me. I will say that what we can know for sure is that the killer was someone, potentially at a young age, who ultimately felt comfortable enough (or wild enough) to enter a house with a single knife thinking he could control four human beings.

THE CLUES

CLOTHES
In terms of what the killer wore, you’ll see that there’s a lot of detail. Much of that is available in the image below. Many of the product runs are known to the TMPD so we can see when an item was available to the public. A couple of details stand out to me here. In the case of the Uniqlo jacket (size L), it only went on sale some 2-3 months before the murders. That would mean it’s unlikely the killer got it second-hand or that it was a hand-me-down from a sibling or some such. I will talk about skateboarders later but one of the theories you might see online explaining these murders is that the killer was in fact a skater and that his clothes back that up. Looking at them, I’m not wholly sure that’s necessarily true—particularly in terms of his footwear. But what I would say is that several items that he wore were for sale at a now-defunct clothing store called M/X. Interestingly, 5 of the 10 items on his person were available in the shopping district of Ogikubo which we know the Miyazawas must have frequented. Ogikubo is around 3.5 miles north of the Miyazawa residence.

Screenshot-2022-02-13-at-10-57-54.png

KNIFE
The knife that the killer brought with him to the house, presumably in his hip bag, was sold under the name “Seki Magoroku, Ginju”. Only 1,500 units were ever produced (from Fukui Prefecture, around 4 hours away from Tokyo). They were manufactured in the summer of 2000, six months before the murders. It was a sashimi knife, intended for cutting fish. He made the purchase, it seems, the day before the murders.

While we’re on this topic, we know that the choice of knife was peculiar given that it broke during the attack on Mikio—the first time it was used. Seeing as we know he bought the knife new, why this choice? The knife cost around $30USD. Perhaps he had some kind of familiarity with these knives? More on this later.

There are conflicting reports on where he bought the knife itself. Some say a supermarket close to the house of the Miyazawas, while on Wikipedia it says Kanagawa Prefecture (but I’m unsure which source they’re using for that).

My Japanese-speaking source has told me the killer was picked up on camera in a supermarket (or near it) by Kichiōji Station’s northern exit (two stations away from Ogikubo) and this is where the murder weapon was purchased. In any case, it’s most probably the killer would have paid cash but I do wonder—a 15-20-year-old buying a $30 knife? That had to have been noticed, especially if it was the day before the murders. A 15-year-old kid with that kind of money to buy a knife surely would have stayed in a supermarket employee’s memory? Or maybe not, who knows. What I’m thinking here is the CCTV thing is odd. It sounds as if it was recovered from the supermarket. And yet… the TMPD have never said a word about it. Not in relation to the supermarket, or in general, as far as I know. I don’t know if security footage was recorded at subway stations / nearby convenience stores 22 years old but I’m assuming if they pulled it from the supermarket, they must have seen his face. Maybe the quality was so bad it told them nothing. But why have they never shared this? Could modern technology not help? What would be the harm in publishing this image now? It’s not as if the killer will be ‘tipped off’ that they’re looking for him. I have no idea…

SAND
One of the first clues that really made my mind start to race was that in the killer’s hip bag, traces of sand was found. Get this, from the Mojave Desert. But more specifically, sand around or near Edwards Air Force Base in California. I’ll expand a little on this below but I’m sure for anyone who’s already googled this, they will have probably wondered about an airman theory or some kind of military connection. I think there are 23 US military bases in Japan. Of that number, from the air force, one of the most prevalent is Yokota AB.

Google Maps

You can see the distance between the base and the Miyazawa’s home, roughly 30km or 18 miles. Having studied the route before, you can make the journey in about 40-60 minutes on public transport, 45 minutes or so driving, and I think under 2 hours by bicycle along the Tama River. The Sen River flows right next to their house which, I think, is a tributary of the aforementioned Tama.

As for the sand itself, I can’t go into too much detail right now but what I will say is: either the killer had been to Edwards Air Base at some point before December 2000. Or he somehow acquired a hip bag that had. I’ve seen some mentions online of flea markets at Yokota AB and this is, of course, possible. But we also know that the killer bought his knife and jacket brand new. The hip bag was, as you can see in the picture above, produced in Japan. So, it would probably mean a hip bag that has travelled from Japan, to Edwards, and then back again to Yokota AB to be purchased second-hand by our killer. Again, possible. But my feeling is that he’s been out of the country. If he’s done it once, he was likely able to do it again. I’ll go to this at the end of this breakdown, but after 280,000+ TMPD personnel across 22 years of tireless searching and a team of 40 full-time officers still on this case, either he’s Jason Bourne and he’s learned to live off the grid. Or he simply left the country. (Knowing he was leaving the country imminently might also explain why some of his actions seemed carefree or blasé in the house).

There was also, as I understand it, sand from the Miura Peninsula on his jacket or in his jacket. The area near Yokosuka City. (There is also a US Naval Base there).

SHOES
As I’ve said, he took his shoes with him. This is notable because he left everything else that he brought with him in the house except for *maybe* the pants he was wearing (I’ve never been able to corroborate this detail). We know what shoes he wore due to both his footsteps in the considerable blood pooling inside the house and possibly in the moss/mud in the gap between the house and the fence. Also, as you can see above, the shoes weren’t available in this size in Japan. But they WERE available in South Korea. The TMPD, however, have never given us any detail on where ELSE they were available. Slazenger are, after all, a British company. If the killer could purchase them ONLY in Seoul, then that seems like a much stronger connection than if they were also on sale in Sacramento or Southampton or Seville. For the record, they look like tennis or running shoes to me. Not skate shoes. Again, I can’t actually go into too much detail on the shoes due to various things that are ongoing but if anybody could help me pinpoint what model of shoe these were—product name or anything like that, this would be incredible.

1-Wi-Q7c1-GVUq-RNDEPAHNE-TQ.jpg

HANDKERCHIEFS
The killer brought two black handkerchiefs with him. Take a look at this video.

犯人はハンカチをどのように使用したのか? 警視庁

The police think that he wrapped the knife in such a fashion. Whether or not he did this to hide the blade, or to transport it safely, or simply to create a kind of hilt to protect his hand while attacking the family, we don’t know. The TMPD mention a fish factory in China because workers there use it the handkerchiefs in this way. Perhaps it suggests our killer has some familiarity with the kitchen, fishery, or even butchery. But I’m not sure that’s really a clue per se. One other detail worth mentioning; I’ve seen it said that the killer actually ironed these handkerchiefs which always struck me as particularly anal. Either that, or it fits with the momma’s boy theory. In any case, the handkerchiefs and, as I understand it, all of the clothes and other items were left neatly folded on the couch.

WITNESSES
There are a total of three possible sightings of the killer in the hours after the murders (though only one seems anywhere close to solid in my opinion). Firstly, a woman driving near the scene sometime after 11:30pm told police she saw a man rushing out of the Miyazawa’s house and jumped in front of her car. She didn’t hit him, though. Police found no blood in the street and, at any rate, we know the killer was still in the house at 1:18am. Other versions of this suggest she was actually driving at dawn and she got out to check on the man and saw blood on his left hand.

Secondly, a taxi driver claims that two or three men got into the back of his cab on the night of the murders and were silent passengers. He finished his shift after dropping them off and found blood on the backseat. Apparently, this blood was tested and turned out to be chocolate. As far as I can tell, this didn’t go anywhere.

Lastly, and perhaps most significantly. A man with a wounded hand or arm was spotted in
Tōbu-Nikkō Station (outside of Tokyo, around 2–3 hours north of Setagaya). He was patched up at the station but apparently the wound was so serious the bone was visible in his hand or arm. From what I’ve heard, this man was reluctant to seek medical attention at a hospital and station workers found it suspicious—they phoned the police. For whatever reason, I don’t think an officer was sent out immediately to intercept this man. Other versions of this sighting suggest it was at 5:25am and he himself actually went into the station seeking medical attention. Other versions say it was 5:26pm and the man was travelling on one of the trains. His bone were visible in this version too.

What I do know is that over 5 million people were fingerprinted and the TMPD checked through hundreds of thousands if not 1 million+ men with hand injuries in the Tokyo area.

Other than that, we have some vague mention of Yasuko complaining to her family that a man was parking “too close to the house” in the days before the murder.

THEORIES
There are a number of theories floating around. I will deal with them briefly here as most of them don’t deserve, at least in my opinion, more than cursory scrutiny.

1) The Corporate Espionage Plot
As mentioned previously, Mikio worked for Interbrand. One of the theories is that whatever he was working on got him killed. This is perhaps a case of someone hearing that the killer was going through the family documents and putting the movie together in their heads. As far as I can tell, even as early as the first week the media were dismissing the idea and quoting unnamed colleagues who made it clear that not only was Mikio not the kind to be disliked or have conflicts with anyone, he wasn’t working on anything sensitive. One would also imagine that, if this was some kind of corporate hit, a hitman who brings a sushi knife, uses the family toilet and eats their ice cream would make a lot of sense.

2) The Land Dispute
This rubs shoulders with the theory below but, essentially, this theory is that the family were killed because they wouldn’t move out of their home and the city was keen to regenerate the area. There are variations on this involving the Yakuza. However, as mentioned previously, the Miyazawa family had already agreed to move so this sort of takes all the oxygen out of that one. And, even if they hadn’t, killing them had the opposite effect because the house has stood empty for 20 years.

3) The Korean Hitman
There is a ‘journalist’ named Fumiya Ichihashi who wrote a book suggesting that not only does he know why the Miyazawa family were killed but he knows who did it. A man called ‘R’ who was part of the Korean Air Force and who was paid to kill the family due to some kind of involvement with the Unification Church. The story goes that since they didn’t want to sell up to the church, the church paid R to kill them. Ichihashi not only says that he worked out the identity of the killer but he had a meeting with him in his car and even manged to lift his prints. The reason I used quotation marks on the word journalist above is because Ichihashi is a nom de plume, we don’t know his real name. He does assure he’s a journalist though. But then as they say in Italy, if my grandmother had wheels, she’d be a bicycle.

4) The Wandering Lunatic
Anything is possible. But we know he came with a knife which he bought prior to the murder. This, at least, suggests some kind of plan. So, if he is completely unhinged, he’s still able to reason on some level. He also escaped and displayed self-preservation in wanting to patch himself up.

5) Yasuko’s Student
There isn’t a great deal of detail here. Something about a bitter former student of Yasuko’s tutoring. Even a vague mention of impropriety with Niina. I can’t talk to any of that. But what I would say is that 15-20 years old would jive with it being a student of some kind. Especially as there were markings of a highlighter pen in the hip bag.

6) Angry Skater
Apparently, there was some conflict between Mikio and the skaters. However, having been to the skate park and the Miyazawa’s house myself, it’s actually quite difficult to imagine the kind of noise that would be required to cross the distance from the former to the later. Admittedly, this was during the day, maybe in the dead of night it might be a different matter. But what I will say is that I know for a fact that the TMPD took the skater theory very seriously. Whether this is based on the clothes the killer wore or simply the proximity of the skate park and them assuming 2+2=4, I don’t know. Of course, in this world anything is possible. And I can’t actually expand too much on the detail. But having been in touch with someone who used to be involved in that circle (that was ruled out of the investigation before anyone asks), from what he said, it’s very unlikely one of these skaters would have taken such offence at being asked by a family man to keep the noise down that they’d come back at a later date to destroy him and his entire family. But again, anything is possible.

So, 22 years and 16,000 clues later, what are we left with? In some ways we have so much information about the identity of the killer. But after more than a decade going over this maze, it feels like the more I know, the less I know. I truly have no idea. Every time I get close to feeling any kind of certainty, I’ll discover new things that will shut the door on that.

If I had to bet my bottom dollar on what happened, I would say that we’re looking at the killer being the child or relative of an active US airman stationed at Yokota. And the reason the killer was able to elude the TMPD for all these years is simply because 1) Yokota AB is sovereign US territory. It’s like a small American city. He could’ve hidden there… 2) or, he simply flew back to America.

It's likely that even if he was American, he had a grasp of Japanese as he was looking at documents belonging to the family and had enough reading / writing skill to log on to the family computer and create a new folder. Takeshi Tsuchida, the first lead detective on the case has also said that he thinks it’s a killer with international links (beyond whatever the DNA points to). While I’m on that, there’s a very good article here worth reading via ABC:

The faceless killer who slaughtered an entire family and then vanished for two decades

To conclude, the sand tells us he was someone who moves. The clothes and the knife tell us he was someone with access to money. And his disappearance tells us he was someone who knew he could rely on a new beginning. All of that seems like a lot for a teenager, before you even start factoring in someone so young murdering two adults and two children.

What we know is that the TMPD still refer to this as a robbery homicide which means we can’t fully discount the possibility that robbery was the motive for these murders. It doesn’t really explain why a person would murder two adults and two children for money if he then leaves behind two-thirds of the cash and all the valuables in the house. I suppose what I’m saying is, that while it’s technically true that this is a robbery/homicide case, if I cross the road to shoot a guy in the face, my motive is murder. The jaywalking that occurred to get me there was just one part of the whole. That’s just my opinion, anyway.

To finish this, if he was 15 at the time of the murders, the killer would only be 37 years old now. But more importantly, Niina would be 30 years old. Rei would be 28. Perhaps Mikio and Yasuko would be grandparents. Haruko and Setsuko wouldn’t have to wonder if they have enough time left on this earth to ever be able to ask the killer why he took their grandkids. The house the Miyazawa family lived in still stands today. A TMPD officer guards it 24/7, a silent vigil of sorts. Though the house is empty, it’s a testament to the horror that unfolded that night. For how much longer the house will stand, we don’t know—it faces the threat of demolition by the local authority. But I hope against hope that if that does happen, it will be after the relatives have finally been given answers. I hope against hope that, wherever he is, the man that committed this atrocity is found soon and that he lives in fear until that day. And, finally, I hope against hope that the Miyazawa family is resting in peace.

1445184896991.png

5) Yasuko’s Student
There isn’t a great deal of detail here. Something about a bitter former student of Yasuko’s tutoring. Even a vague mention of impropriety with Niina. I can’t talk to any of that. But what I would say is that 15-20 years old would jive with it being a student of some kind. Especially as there were markings of a highlighter pen in the hip bag.

This one is intriguing. It would fit quite a bit of what is known to us, particularly if the tutoring took place at the Miyazawa residence. However, this also seems like a lead that LE would have thoroughly investigated long ago. Would be interesting to know the source for this theory.

Superb @FacelessPodcast !
Brilliantly written.
It does sound as if it points to a young man who has an American serviceman as a father and a Japanese as a mother. Could the Adriatic in the DNA mean Italian. Maybe his grandfather was an Italian-American?
He sounds like a bored young man with too much time and money on his hands. And a loner and a psychopath too.
The motive is bizarre....because, there doesn't seem to be a definite one.... nothing seems to fit 100%.
As for the shoes, despite them being Slazenger, and British I don't recall seeing that kinds in the sports shops in the UK, so they may possibly be a model for the Asian (or South Korean) market only.
Interesting to note the killer wasn't that bothered about leaving his fingerprints lying all over the house....Im guessing children of U.S. service personnel (and service personnel themselves) aren't fingerprinted when arriving in U.S. bases jn Japan, as they are considered U.S. soil.
But if he will never be able to ever enter Japan as a civilian, if he has to give his fingerprints in arrival at an airport.
Too bad these fingerprints and DNA don't go out to Interpol. He needs to be caught.

I want to thank @FacelessPodcast for all the information. My first question
is , are you saying that the police department has had someone standing guard
outside the house 24/7 for the past 22 years? Or have I misinterpreted it?

Thank you Bettyboop!

Yes, they have a single officer posted outside the house. I'm assuming to keep out the curious and so on. I don't know if this is actually *24/7* but whenever I've gone to the house there's someone there -- and also in all of the pictures you see of the house usually. The officer actually as a little permanent booth outside the house. The path leading to the house is blocked off only by a few cones. In the ABC article I link to, you can actually see ex-Police Chief Tsuchida talking to this exact officer here:

11778400-16x9-2150x1210.jpg

This one is intriguing. It would fit quite a bit of what is known to us, particularly if the tutoring took place at the Miyazawa residence. However, this also seems like a lead that LE would have thoroughly investigated long ago. Would be interesting to know the source for this theory.

Yes, I quite agree Snakefinger. I'm sure LE would've been all over it. The sources for this particularly theory isn't strong at all, it's just one of the ones that you encounter when digging online. I do think it would make sense but there's nothing known to the public that corroborates it in any way. Except, perhaps, the killer's young age at the time of the murders. Even then, it's not exactly throwing too much weight behind the theory!

Superb @FacelessPodcast !
Brilliantly written.
It does sound as if it points to a young man who has an American serviceman as a father and a Japanese as a mother. Could the Adriatic in the DNA mean Italian. Maybe his grandfather was an Italian-American?
He sounds like a bored young man with too much time and money on his hands. And a loner and a psychopath too.
The motive is bizarre....because, there doesn't seem to be a definite one.... nothing seems to fit 100%.
As for the shoes, despite them being Slazenger, and British I don't recall seeing that kinds in the sports shops in the UK, so they may possibly be a model for the Asian (or South Korean) market only.
Interesting to note the killer wasn't that bothered about leaving his fingerprints lying all over the house....Im guessing children of U.S. service personnel (and service personnel themselves) aren't fingerprinted when arriving in U.S. bases jn Japan, as they are considered U.S. soil.
But if he will never be able to ever enter Japan as a civilian, if he has to give his fingerprints in arrival at an airport.
Too bad these fingerprints and DNA don't go out to Interpol. He needs to be caught.

Thank you so much for your kind words, Annpats! It was really quite hard to get all the relevant details across without turning this into some epic tome... Seeing all these lovely messages are very reassuring :)

And yes, that's exactly right. I've spoken with various DNA folks that say his mother could directly be from Italy/Spain/Portugal etc. Others say it's much more likely that the mother was of that descent. Which could actually be generations back. But yes, Italian / Spanish / Mexican -- genetically, it could point to any number of nationalities. And I have a similar image of him to you. I'm filling in a lot of blanks here but it would NOT shock me if this young man is somewhere in the psychiatric or disciplinary records in Yokota AB somewhere... He must have acted out somewhere, against someone!

The motive is the weakest part, for me. I do think it's possible there was a sexual component to the case and the police have simply left this information out of their press releases. I have nothing to substantiate that other than the violence differentials between the males and the mother and the daughter. Also, assuming it was simply coincidence, he left them until last. Then again, they were found at the bottom of the ladder next to each other. Which would seem like a strange position for some kind of assault to take place. And by this point, after 22 years, would the TMPD really have much to gain by keeping these details back?

As I understand it, if he *was* family of USAF, he wouldn't be giving any fingerprints. But he would be able to enter and exit the country without necessarily giving his prints to the Japanese border authorities (don't quote me on that). But yes, if he ever tries to enter Japan as a tourist, he's in for a bad holiday...

As for Interpol, I can't really say anything I'm afraid... I would like to, though!

The size of the window and the height of it means that the police feel the killer must have possessed significant upper body strength in order to be able to do this.

Sorry for the long post....

"Significant strength" implies that he could not have moved directly from say, a tree into and through the window which I doubt was wide open.

I suspect he needed more than raw strength. Rather, entering through the window could have involved:

Strength: Would be on a narrow window sill. Even more challenging than a rounded pull up bar or rounded gymnastics equipment. Would probably need to support entire weight on one arm, while manipulating window with the other.

Athleticism: He would probably need to rapidly coordinate reaching for the sill (less than ideal hold), transferring his weight to one hand / arm, then manipulating the window and entering.

Experience: Even with strength and athleticism, he would need to solve a center of balance problem. Unable to lean forward though the pane, he would need to bring his center of balance as close to the building as possible via different forearm placements / hand rotations.

My human experiment....

A family member and her friend tried to enter a simulated narrow sill / high window. Both girls excel at multiple high school sports. Both are petite, strong for females, and physically agile.

Despite their athleticism, neither girl knew automatically how to solve the center of balance problem when trying to support their weight with one arm on a narrow "sill" and unable to lean forward.

The girls experimented with different hand / arm placements, then ran started to run into strength limitations when trying to support their weight, balance and open the simulated window. Both said they would love to keep trying, but had plans.

Conclusion

A comparatively athletic male could well have the “significant” body strength and also have athleticism to coordinate his movements.

But…. Given that neither of the two athletic test subjects could solve the center of balance problem “on the fly”, I doubt he could either. Rather, I strongly suspect that the killer also had previous experience.

This experience could come from previous burglaries with challenging windows, recreational rock climbing (either in the wild, or at a climbing gym), amateur gymnastics, or…. say, running military obstacle courses or possibly urban war fare practice.

Last edited:
Others say it's much more likely that the mother was of that descent. Which could actually be generations back.

I just want to make it clear that it’s also quite possible the killer doesn’t conventionally look mixed-race to the average Joe walking down the streets of Setagaya.

The fact that the maternal European DNA could be generations old presents few modern possibilities where a Japanese person could be ethnically mixed in the DNA sense, but not have blended Asian and European features in the physical sense:

- A marriage / relationship stemming from a female in the US military could have occurred as early as 1950. An individual descended from an early relationship would be say, 1:4 to 1:8 European today and have few European features.

- Japanese of Brazilian descent: Some of Japanese Brazilians have re-immigrated to Japan. Returnees to Japan would probably have varying amounts of European DNA / features ranging from the obvious to the not so obvious.

- Japanese Bonin Islanders: Waaay out in the Pacific, the Bonin islands were a whaling stop for centuries with whalers, temporary locals and true locals mixing for generations. Islanders with varying degrees of European descent have probably moved to mainland Japan over the years. Islanders or descendants could have DNA, but few European features.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! My name is Nic, a crime fiction author, and it’s so nice to be part of WS. I’m here, with great respect and humility, because I’m hoping to lean on the WS community for your ideas and expertise.

While I have no direct relation to the Miyazawa Family, since first learning about their murders more than 10 years ago, they’ve always haunted me. That’s why I’m producing a (major network) podcast about this case which will be released towards the end of 2022. (For those that are wondering, yes, I am in contact with the relatives). I’ll soon post a detailed breakdown of the murders and hopefully you’ll see why I find it so haunting. The goal of my podcast is to bring the perpetrator to justice in any way, shape, or form; or at least, 22 years later after their murders, to help the Miyazawas reach a wider public consciousness in the hope of achieving the above.
1*0XupIzImzRNan2AlCsETeg.jpeg

I would be more than delighted to answer any questions to kick over any ideas that you guys have. (If there’s anything I’ve left off the case breakdown, it’ll most likely because I’ve simply forgotten it. But it also might be the case that there’s something that I can’t talk about – if that happens, I’ll say so). One of the most puzzling things about this case is that, on the one hand, we know so much about the killer and what happened that night. He left behind over 16,000 pieces of evidence. But on the other, there’s never been a single arrest, official suspect, or even a clear working theory. Lastly, while I know that it goes without saying here on WS, I do just want to say: ultimately, for me, this case isn’t about the killer. It’s about giving answers to the relatives of the Miyazawa Family.

Thank you all for reading.

Warmly,
Nic
Nic
Thank you for joining us at WS
There’s a wonderful bunch of people and professionals on this site that have amazing expertise and skills . For example, a cold case in the USA had items of clothing that needed to be identified in terms of where purchased and what year and suppliers and for 23 years, LE have done their utmost to positively progress this line of enquiry, passing from Detective to Detective as the case file was handed over during this 23 year period. With nowhere left to go, I believe that they approached Trish ( WS owner) and asked if the clothing could be put out to members of WS site as a last resort. Within 30 minutes ( I think it was actually 23 minutes from memory) a WS patron had identified the clothing and the year(s) it was put out for purchase and in which stores . So after all those years, and no definitive answer, irrespective as to how many Detectives tried to progress this line of enquiry, it was solved in less than an hour by a WS member. How utterly amazing is that ? So my point is that there are so many people with an abundance of skills who can potentially help you on this site. I spent my career as a Detective and latterly a Detective Chief Inspector in charge of 80 Detectives and we would work together as a team to approach different scenarios and ways to solve crime and I was also a Senior Investigative Officer ( SIO) who was the officer in charge of the investigations of serious crime ( Murder, Manslaughter, Missing people with suspicious circumstances or vulnerability etc ) and I and my team would have benefited greatly from WS members knowledge and skills and ideas , had I have known about it before I was retired in 2010 after a serious work accident left me temporarily paralysed and changed my life forever . Even now I see some amazing ideas thrown out there when sleuthing and there have been a few times where I haven’t considered something that they have . I always told my team that I don’t solve the crimes , it’s a collective team effort and nobody should be afraid to shout out their ideas because we were all equal as Detectives, irrespective of my rank and unless you hear all the suggestions, you may never know what you have potentially missed in terms of evidence that helps to solve your crime and cements justice for the families left behind. I see this amazing approach and skill base in many of my fellow WS peers and just because their own ‘day job’ was not one of a Detective, their interest and dedication to true crime is such that you never know what they can uncover . I am proud to be amongst such people.
Now I need to read up on your case as it’s not one with which I am familiar. I am UK based so we do operate different process and procedures, certainly to the USA and some other countries too but Detectives are Detectives wherever you are in the world so feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer you and if it’s something that you don’t want to ask on the public thread at that moment in time for fear of the information not being provenanced before it is released then you have the option of connecting any WS member via the private conversation thread ( I hope that the MODS don’t delete my post for mentioning the latter as it’s not specific to me, I am just letting you know how you can approach things on WS as when you are new, even when you have read the strict rules and guidelines, until you get used to the way in which our site operates, it can be confusing).
I hope you get what you need to progress justice for these victims. Good to have you on board.

If I had to bet my bottom dollar on what happened, I would say that we’re looking at the killer being the child or relative of an active US airman stationed at Yokota.

And the reason the killer was able to elude the TMPD for all these years is simply because 1) Yokota AB is sovereign US territory. It’s like a small American city. He could’ve hidden there… 2) or, he simply flew back to America.
1445184896991.png
I very gently disagree.

Though possible, I think such potential suspects could be "run down" very fast:

- Children born overseas to US citizen parents and foreign spouses need to go through a formal identity / citizenship / parentage confirmation process. This involves the creation of detailed records etc.

Though these records are private, I imagine that they would be researched thoroughly upon Japanese request in this case. Even if there have been several thousand such births in Japan over the generations, the US government would have detailed records on them and the total number would still be relatively small.

And as a side note.....

Yokota and other US bases in Japan are not sovereign US territory. (unlike say, the UK bases on Cyprus). Various leftwing Japanese politicians have even advocated closing them or reducing them in response to say, crimes by US servicemen.

Rather, US bases in Japan are operated under long term presence agreements that probably give US authorities very large degrees of control over matters occurring on the bases "closed city". These US authorities would fully cooperate with Japanese inquiries given the sensitive issue of crime.

And last by not least....

US bases both in the US and abroad are very tightly run. US military authorities know exactly who was assigned to them, when they were assigned, which members of their families lived on the base. Even visitors are tracked. Likewise, which foreign or dual nationals had access to the bases for living, work, shopping etc is tracked.

In the end given the exacting knowledge of US overseas births and that nobody (US citizen, foreign national or dual national) "breathes on" US bases w/o knowledge of the authorities, possible suspects would be quickly identified.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post....

"Significant strength" implies that he could not have moved directly from say, a tree into and through the window which I doubt was wide open.

I suspect he needed more than raw strength. Rather, entering through the window could have involved:

Strength: Would be on a narrow window sill. Even more challenging than a rounded pull up bar or rounded gymnastics equipment. Would probably need to support entire weight on one arm, while manipulating window with the other.

Athleticism: He would probably need to rapidly coordinate reaching for the sill (less than ideal hold), transferring his weight to one hand / arm, then manipulating the window and entering.

Experience: Even with strength and athleticism, he would need to solve a center of balance problem. Unable to lean forward though the pane, he would need to bring his center of balance as close to the building as possible via different forearm placements / hand rotations.

My human experiment....

A family member and her friend tried to enter a simulated narrow sill / high window. Both girls excel at multiple high school sports. Both are petite, strong for females, and physically agile.

Despite their athleticism, neither girl knew automatically how to solve the center of balance problem when trying to support their weight with one arm on a narrow "sill" and unable to lean forward.

The girls experimented with different hand / arm placements, then ran started to run into strength limitations when trying to support their weight, balance and open the simulated window. Both said they would love to keep trying, but had plans.

Conclusion

A comparatively athletic male could well have the “significant” body strength and also have athleticism to coordinate his movements.

But…. Given that neither of the two athletic test subjects could solve the center of balance problem “on the fly”, I doubt he could either. Rather, I strongly suspect that the killer also had previous experience.

This experience could come from previous burglaries with challenging windows, recreational rock climbing (either in the wild, or at a climbing gym), amateur gymnastics, or…. say, running military obstacle courses or possibly urban war fare practice.

This is fascinating, I hadn't really considered the exact logistics of *how* he got through the window. Also, to add to this, the family lived right by a canal. They had a mosquito screen on the window. This was found cut open or even cut out. But there was a fence pushing up against the wall. Picture below:

Screenshot-2022-02-14-at-14-49-29.png

The fact that the maternal European DNA could be generations old presents few modern possibilities where a Japanese person could be ethnically mixed in the DNA sense, but not have blended Asian and European features in the physical sense:

- A marriage / relationship stemming from a female in the US military could have occurred as early as 1950. An individual descended from an early relationship would be say, 1:4 to 1:8 European today and have few European features.

- Japanese of Brazilian descent: Some of Japanese Brazilians have re-immigrated to Japan. Returnees to Japan would probably have varying amounts of European DNA / features ranging from the obvious to the not so obvious.

- Japanese Bonin Islanders: Waaay out in the Pacific, the Bonin islands were a whaling stop for centuries with whalers, temporary locals and true locals mixing for generations. Islanders with varying degrees of European descent have probably moved to mainland Japan over the years. Islanders or descendants could have DNA, but few European features.

Yes! I have been thinking this exact same thing. Great points here, thank you, Cryptic. I'd never even considered Bonin Islanders!

And I know that there are some 20,000 babies born each year in Japan to couples where one of the parents is non-Japanese.

This is fascinating, I hadn't really considered the exact logistics of *how* he got through the window. Also, to add to this, the family lived right by a canal. They had a mosquito screen on the window. This was found cut open or even cut out. But there was a fence pushing up against the wall. Picture below:

Screenshot-2022-02-14-at-14-49-29.png

Yikes, I did not realize that the fence was that close. Rather, I thought he needed to climb the fence, then approach the window by scaling the wall / a tree, or by the patio roof next door.

The closeness of the fence and the ability to balance on it would probably eliminate the need for him to of had past climbing, obstacle course or gymnastics experience.

Last edited:
They had a mosquito screen on the window. This was found cut open or even cut out.

So, another reason to need the knife.

Or at least the 1st reason. Maybe he wasn't planning on murdering anyone, after all, didn't the knife he brought with him snap after one of the attacks?

He should've brought something more robust.

I wonder if he didn't plan on killing them, but something went wrong and the situation escalated fast, and he felt he had no choice but to kill the family.

Perhaps they recognised him?

Just my random thoughts....

I’ve seen it said that the killer actually ironed these handkerchiefs which always struck me as particularly anal. Either that, or it fits with the momma’s boy theory.
1445184896991.png

What about possible membership in a... gosh, I dont know the term.... Japanese biker type gangs that starts with a "B"?

Here in the US, most gang members are not that fastidious about personal appearance. But.... there are noticeable exceptions.

This includes some inner city street gangs with clean, ironed and matching sports team clothing. Or they wear a neatly ironed handkerchiefs (of the appropriate color) whether folded or worn.

When I lived in a rougher part of LA area, one area gang has stark white T-shirts with sharply ironed kakhi pants and polished dress shoes.

Though US outlaw bikers usually hype grungy appearances, the dominate group in my state was founded by former U.S. Marines. I have seen their members up close sporting very clean, matching and uniform like clothing, ironed new jeans and "this 'n that patches" on vests carefully aligned. The neatness could well extend to handkerchiefs as well.

So.... what about Japanese biker type gangs? Are some into anally neat appearances and perhaps use black as their symbolic color?

Last edited:
Nic
Thank you for joining us at WS
There’s a wonderful bunch of people and professionals on this site that have amazing expertise and skills . For example, a cold case in the USA had items of clothing that needed to be identified in terms of where purchased and what year and suppliers and for 23 years, LE have done their utmost to positively progress this line of enquiry, passing from Detective to Detective as the case file was handed over during this 23 year period. With nowhere left to go, I believe that they approached Trish ( WS owner) and asked if the clothing could be put out to members of WS site as a last resort. Within 30 minutes ( I think it was actually 23 minutes from memory) a WS patron had identified the clothing and the year(s) it was put out for purchase and in which stores . So after all those years, and no definitive answer, irrespective as to how many Detectives tried to progress this line of enquiry, it was solved in less than an hour by a WS member. How utterly amazing is that ? So my point is that there are so many people with an abundance of skills who can potentially help you on this site. I spent my career as a Detective and latterly a Detective Chief Inspector in charge of 80 Detectives and we would work together as a team to approach different scenarios and ways to solve crime and I was also a Senior Investigative Officer ( SIO) who was the officer in charge of the investigations of serious crime ( Murder, Manslaughter, Missing people with suspicious circumstances or vulnerability etc ) and I and my team would have benefited greatly from WS members knowledge and skills and ideas , had I have known about it before I was retired in 2010 after a serious work accident left me temporarily paralysed and changed my life forever . Even now I see some amazing ideas thrown out there when sleuthing and there have been a few times where I haven’t considered something that they have . I always told my team that I don’t solve the crimes , it’s a collective team effort and nobody should be afraid to shout out their ideas because we were all equal as Detectives, irrespective of my rank and unless you hear all the suggestions, you may never know what you have potentially missed in terms of evidence that helps to solve your crime and cements justice for the families left behind. I see this amazing approach and skill base in many of my fellow WS peers and just because their own ‘day job’ was not one of a Detective, their interest and dedication to true crime is such that you never know what they can uncover . I am proud to be amongst such people.
Now I need to read up on your case as it’s not one with which I am familiar. I am UK based so we do operate different process and procedures, certainly to the USA and some other countries too but Detectives are Detectives wherever you are in the world so feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer you and if it’s something that you don’t want to ask on the public thread at that moment in time for fear of the information not being provenanced before it is released then you have the option of connecting any WS member via the private conversation thread ( I hope that the MODS don’t delete my post for mentioning the latter as it’s not specific to me, I am just letting you know how you can approach things on WS as when you are new, even when you have read the strict rules and guidelines, until you get used to the way in which our site operates, it can be confusing).
I hope you get what you need to progress justice for these victims. Good to have you on board.

Thank you for your warm welcome, Angleterre! Much appreciated. First off, very sorry to read about your work accident. It's really good to be here, particularly because I know that there's a mix of people and for me that's all to the good. And that's an amazing story about the piece of clothing. Here's hoping something similar might pan out in this case too.

I'm actually from the UK but have been living in the US for the past 6 years. (I'm fascinated by the differences between the two cultures, not least in terms of police investigations from what I've seen).

And thank you for letting me me about the private conversations, I need to play around with the WS features!

I very gently disagree.

Though possible, I think such potential suspects could be "run down" very fast:

- Children born overseas to US citizen parents and foreign spouses need to go through a formal identity / citizenship / parentage confirmation process. This involves the creation of detailed records etc.

Though these records are private, I imagine that they would be researched thoroughly upon Japanese request in this case. Even if there have been several thousand such births in Japan over the generations, the US government would have detailed records on them and the total number would still be relatively small.

And as a side note.....

Yokota and other US bases in Japan are not sovereign US territory. (unlike say, the UK bases on Cyprus). Various leftwing Japanese politicians have even advocated closing them or reducing them in response to say, crimes by US servicemen.

Rather, US bases in Japan are operated under long term presence agreements that probably give US authorities very large degrees of control over matters occurring on the bases "closed city". These US authorities would fully cooperate with Japanese inquiries given the sensitive issue of crime.

And last by not least....

US bases both in the US and abroad are very tightly run. US military authorities know exactly who was assigned to them, when they were assigned, which members of their families lived on the base. Even visitors are tracked. Likewise, which foreign or dual nationals had access to the bases for living, work, shopping etc is tracked.

In the end given the exacting knowledge of US overseas births and that nobody (US citizen, foreign national or dual national) "breathes on" US bases w/o knowledge of the authorities, possible suspects would be quickly identified.

I appreciate disagreement! Interesting counter points, thank you. Some of this gets into certain things I can't openly discuss but I have a couple of questions here:

Do you know if Japanese aviation authorities notified of all passengers, both military and civilian, into Yokota AB?

From discussions I've had with people in Japan, I'm not sure how simple it would actually be to get into US records without some kind of specific justification. While I'm sure there would be ample cooperation between the two sets of authorities, it doesn't sound like the TMPD could just waltz into Yokota and start comparing fingerprints. From the conversations I've had with local journalists, if it's occurred to me, this theory will have very much occurred to the TMPD; but the practicalities of *actually* making inquiries on a US air base aren't such a simple matter. Now whether or not those ever took place, I don't know.

Having also spoken to people that have lived on Yokota, I know it is indeed possible to go off-base around Fussa. Do you know if, say, a 15-year-old would have some kind of limit or curfew on time spent off-base in the same way an active serviceman or woman would? Whether or not the gate control knew of the killer's possible egress/ingress on base, that wouldn't necessarily be of any help to the TMPD unless they had a reason to check at the time. And I'm not sure at what point the connection was made re: the sand from Edwards Air Base.

Even if nobody breaths on US air bases without the knowledge of the authorities, how do we know the TMPD made those enquiries?

Either way, this is food for thought, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee