Found Deceased JAPAN - Trevor Balint, 34, from Hubbard, Ohio, missing from Yokota Air Base, 1 Feb 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yokota Air Base

This is a public post on the case on the base homepage. There are some “interesting” comments under a comment posted by user C.F. User M.M shared an interesting experience

I feel that there are some who did not take this investigation seriously.
Military bases do not have the same type of "public safety net" as we like to believe civilian cities do. As we have seen time and time again (especially at Ft Hood) there is an expectation of self-responsibility and community participation/teamwork. People are expected to have the back of members of their squad and their squad is expected to have their backs. The farther away from a core group that responsibility travels, the less the concern. MPs aren't really search and rescue personnel. They're concerned with peacekeeping and there was no evidence of a crime.

Wondering....IF Trevor's intention was self harm, why did he come back to the apartment at 1:30 am after leaving his belongings at that garden apt,.. and then leave again later? Did he need to retrieve something? Key to the storage area, sleeping pills or meds? Or pen and paper to write with? (we don't know if he wrote a note, right?)

I only hope that he was not wanting to reach out to his wife, to talk things out, to seek comfort.
As it stood, she was angry at his lateness, which is understandable.

And as I said before, I very much hope that Britni will not beat herself up with "if only". Losing her husband like this is anguishing and shocking enough,... may she have every support possible.

Gosh, they were planning to watch a movie...he was said to be a good mood earlier....before he stated he was going out to "look for the cat".
So sad, one never knows, was there a trigger that night, impulsiveness due to the drinking, or was this building up over time? Likely the latter....:(
I feel like he probably just stumbled home and the next day he had overwhelming hung over despair. Probably the argument with his wife was more intense than she's saying in hindsight but that happens and people do things that everyone ends up regretting forever.

Last edited:
FEB 17, 2021
Missing Hubbard man's body to be flown to Hawaii for autopsy. - WFMJ.com
[...]

KB, the mother of Trevor Balint, tells 21 news that the body will soon be flown to Hawaii so an autopsy can be conducted and that the Office of Special Investigations will be working with security forces to continue to conduct the investigation.

Balint adds "security forces have failed us throughout."

Adding in regards to the investigation, "16 days of stress leading to a tragedy that could have possibly been avoided had they actually done their job. The family is disappointed/ upset at their ability to do their job."

[...]

I feel like he probably just stumbled home and the next day he had overwhelming hung over despair. Probably the argument with his wife was more intense than she's saying in hindsight but that happens and people do things that everyone ends up regretting forever.

I know for me personally, alcohol makes my anxiety almost unbearable. I quit drinking months ago after a night in which I could barely sleep, felt like I was crawling out of my skin, the most awful awful awful feeling. If he was already struggling with depression or anxiety, I could see the alcohol exacerbating those feelings pretty acutely while he was drunk or sobering up.

Military bases do not have the same type of "public safety net" as we like to believe civilian cities do. As we have seen time and time again (especially at Ft Hood) there is an expectation of self-responsibility and community participation/teamwork. People are expected to have the back of members of their squad and their squad is expected to have their backs. The farther away from a core group that responsibility travels, the less the concern. MPs aren't really search and rescue personnel. They're concerned with peacekeeping and there was no evidence of a crime.

so you think the jokes and comments made by security were acceptable? Just because it’s not their main job it doesn’t mean they can F around. I’ve lived on a military base in Japan for 20+ years so I know how stuff works.[/QUOTE]

so you think the jokes and comments made by security were acceptable? Just because it’s not their main job it doesn’t mean they can F around. I’ve lived on a military base in Japan for 20+ years so I know how stuff works.
It happened and I accept that, yes. Unlike in popular culture, whether or not we are offended by something has no impact on military procedure and I personally sleep better at night for it.

I do not believe in this case that the demeanor of the MPs impacted the outcome and if they are disciplined for unbecoming conduct I have no expectations that I would be privy to that.

It took multiple confirmed murders with very obvious evidence of command oversight before outcry reached a point of public action at Fort Hood.

It happened and I accept that, yes. Unlike in popular culture, whether or not we are offended by something has no impact on military procedure and I personally sleep better at night for it.

I do not believe in this case that the demeanor of the MPs impacted the outcome and if they are disciplined for unbecoming conduct I have no expectations that I would be privy to that.

It took multiple confirmed murders with very obvious evidence of command oversight before outcry reached a point of public action at Fort Hood.

okay, sure. Comments made are irrelevant to procedure and outcome. But I’m curious as to how you think the MPs decision to not checking the storage units for several people didn’t impact the outcome. According to M.M, they came in their APARTMENT for 5 minutes and left. They didn’t check their storage unit, then lied about checking to the rest of those involved in the investigation. How can you say they’re not at fault at all? Genuinely curious.

FEB 19, 2021
Hubbard native one of six deaths at airbase in past year - WFMJ.com
The commander of an Air Force base in Japan has posted a video on social media to quell rumors and ease fears following the death of a Hubbard native whose body was discovered earlier this week.

A one-and-a-half minute video message posted by 347th Airlift Wing Commander Andrew Campbell on the Yokota Air Base Facebook page Thursday does not specifically mention the name of Trevor Balint. However, Cmdr. Campbell opens his video by stating that six members of the base have died over the past 12 months.

[...]

Commander Campbell said in his message that the investigations may take several months.

“The integrity of these investigations prevents us from prematurely sharing many of the details about each case. And even when complete, many details may not be released out of respect for the deceased and his or her loved ones,” said Campbell.

The investigation into the deaths has brought criticism from people on social media and Balint’s mother, KB, who posted a message expressing disappointment that it took base investigators sixteen days to locate her son.

[...]

‘No known danger’ after recent deaths at Air Force base in Tokyo, wing commander says - Pacific - Stripes
[...]

“I also want to reassure our community that these deaths, while each tragic, reflect no known danger to our community at large … any danger to the community that an investigation might discover would have been or will be appropriately addressed.”

[...]

“They assured my daughter that all buildings and storage units had been searched,” said DM, who arrived at Yokota on Feb 12. “To be found in his own building 16 days after disappearing is severely troubling.”

[...]

“I ask for the public’s patience and understanding, especially regarding information about the circumstances surrounding any death in our community,” Campbell said in his video message.

[...]

What is the population of the base? Six deaths in the past year is unusual, isn't it, for a population that generally consists of fit military people and youngish and middle aged career staff? Are there any elderly living on base?

okay, sure. Comments made are irrelevant to procedure and outcome. But I’m curious as to how you think the MPs decision to not checking the storage units for several people didn’t impact the outcome. According to M.M, they came in their APARTMENT for 5 minutes and left. They didn’t check their storage unit, then lied about checking to the rest of those involved in the investigation. How can you say they’re not at fault at all? Genuinely curious.
Because I think he was dead before anyone started looking

What is the population of the base? Six deaths in the past year is unusual, isn't it, for a population that generally consists of fit military people and youngish and middle aged career staff? Are there any elderly living on base?
Population of Yokata is approximately 12,000. Current pre-covid annual death rate in the US was approximately 9 per 1,000 people. 11 per 1,000 for Japan.

Last edited:
FEB 19, 2021
Japan Air Force base commander addresses criticism in death investigation of Trevor Balint (wkbn.com)
[...]

While Commander Andrew Campbell never mentions Balint’s name in the video, he does reveal six members of the base have died over the past 12 months.

“The integrity of these investigations prevents us from prematurely sharing many of the details about each case. And even when complete, many details may not be released out of respect for the deceased and his or her loved one. Again, I stress that any danger to the community that investigation might discover would have been or will be appropriately addressed,” Campbell said.

The commander goes on to say the investigation may say take several months and asked that people rely on credible sources of information — like the public affairs office for the Air Base — that can be counted on to deliver facts, not “sensationalism or speculation.”

[...]

Commander addresses 6 deaths at Japan air base | News, Sports, Jobs - The Vindicator (vindy.com)
[...]

“First and foremost I want to express my sincere condolences to the families and friends who have lost loved ones this year,” Campbell said. “I want to reassure our community that these deaths, while tragic, reflect no known danger to our community at large.”

In the video, he explained the death investigations take several months and urged the public to remain patient as the probes continue.

“In all cases of death, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations completes a thorough investigation,” Campbell said. “The integrity of these investigations prevents us from prematurely sharing many of the details about each case and even when complete, many details may not be released out of respect for the deceased and his or her loved ones.”

[...]

To view the video statement of Col. Andrew Campbell about the deaths of six at an air base in Japan, click here.

I am currently a military spouse living in Japan. I have lived in the towers before and I can say without doubt someone dropped the ball searching for him.

The towers are 9 stories tall with usually 8 apartments per floor (2 apartments per side). The elevator will not go to the roof unless you have an elevator key and the stairs will not open at the roof unless you have a door key. (This started when a spouse committed suicide in 2005 by jumping from a tower in Misawa, Japan.)

Our "storage units" inside the tower are on the inner area close to where the elevators are. It is just a big room sectioned off by chain link fence sections about 10ft tall. Each apartment has a section that has a lock and key. You can open the door to the storage units from the shared apartment hall ways and visually look and see what everyone has stored (because of the chain link fencing). The door to the shared storage units from the hallway also has a lock (so only 4 families on your hall has a key to it) There are two storage unit doors on every floor.

Our fire escapes are only accessible from the master bedrooms in the apartments. The master bedrooms have a very small balcony that leads to a door for the fire escape. The fire escapes are totally enclosed. You cannot go down the fire escape and open any other apartment fire escape door. (My husband made that mistake once, he opened the door to look inside and see what it was when we first moved in and locked himself out. He had to go down the entire fire exit back down to the first floor entrance and come backup to the apartment front door.)
The only place I could even imagine he was hiding was in the fire escape stair wells. We lived in an apartment tower for 18 months and I can honestly say I opened the fire escape door once. I only went down it once just to see what it looked like. We had monthly fire alarm checks where the base fire dept comes in and sets the alarms off for safety. I believe the fire fighters would inspect the escapes monthly also, but not 100% sure.

As I said, I really think SF probably didnt check thoroughly. I just dont see anywhere else someone could hide in the towers and not be found for 2 weeks. There is just no way. Unless there was an empty apartment and he broke in somehow...but even then they have a list of vacant apartments they should have checked. ‍♀️

I read an update on FB that his wife and her mother and pets have left Japan. I cant imagine how heartbroken she must feel.

All towers in Japan on the military bases look pretty much exact to this. Most were built in the late 80s-early 90s.

I will say since Trevor and his wife had no kids they probably lived in just a 2 bedroom apartment. I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment. So.. I'm not sure what balcony the fire escape was located.

Attachments

• images (89).jpeg
    images (89).jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 78
I am currently a military spouse living in Japan. I have lived in the towers before and I can say without doubt someone dropped the ball searching for him.

The towers are 9 stories tall with usually 8 apartments per floor (2 apartments per side). The elevator will not go to the roof unless you have an elevator key and the stairs will not open at the roof unless you have a door key. (This started when a spouse committed suicide in 2005 by jumping from a tower in Misawa, Japan.)

Our "storage units" inside the tower are on the inner area close to where the elevators are. It is just a big room sectioned off by chain link fence sections about 10ft tall. Each apartment has a section that has a lock and key. You can open the door to the storage units from the shared apartment hall ways and visually look and see what everyone has stored (because of the chain link fencing). The door to the shared storage units from the hallway also has a lock (so only 4 families on your hall has a key to it) There are two storage unit doors on every floor.

Our fire escapes are only accessible from the master bedrooms in the apartments. The master bedrooms have a very small balcony that leads to a door for the fire escape. The fire escapes are totally enclosed. You cannot go down the fire escape and open any other apartment fire escape door. (My husband made that mistake once, he opened the door to look inside and see what it was when we first moved in and locked himself out. He had to go down the entire fire exit back down to the first floor entrance and come backup to the apartment front door.)
The only place I could even imagine he was hiding was in the fire escape stair wells. We lived in an apartment tower for 18 months and I can honestly say I opened the fire escape door once. I only went down it once just to see what it looked like. We had monthly fire alarm checks where the base fire dept comes in and sets the alarms off for safety. I believe the fire fighters would inspect the escapes monthly also, but not 100% sure.

As I said, I really think SF probably didnt check thoroughly. I just dont see anywhere else someone could hide in the towers and not be found for 2 weeks. There is just no way. Unless there was an empty apartment and he broke in somehow...but even then they have a list of vacant apartments they should have checked. ‍♀️

I read an update on FB that his wife and her mother and pets have left Japan. I cant imagine how heartbroken she must feel.
Thank you for this, it is really helps me to visualise the set up.

If it is very similar at Yokota it throws out so many questions. For instance, if the storage areas are open to the eye behind chainlink fence, was Trevor behind something in the store? If he went there himself, did he unlock it and then take the key back to his apartment, locking the fence behind him? Or was the fence unlocked and the key missing from the apartment?

I'm not surprised his poor family are heartbroken and probably angry too at the searchers not finding him sooner.

All towers in Japan on the military bases look pretty much exact to this. Most were built in the late 80s-early 90s.

I will say since Trevor and his wife had no kids they probably lived in just a 2 bedroom apartment. I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment. So.. I'm not sure what balcony the fire escape was located.
They look a bit grim! I'm wondering if life can feel a bit claustrophobic?

This is only true on the West side of base (Tower 3000-3005). In tower 4305 (East side) the storage units are individual rooms (not shared) and are surrounded by concrete, not chain link fence, so if one was unlocked you could go inside, lock the door and be undisturbed by anyone. Furthermore, you can lock the door from the inside, so if the SPs were doing a walkaround checking for unlocked doors they could pass right by without suspecting anyone was in there. Is this perfect? No, but I have a hard time faulting the cops during this unusual situation. No doubt the cops have updated their SOPs because of this case.

Personally I thought Trevor bailed on his wife and hooked-up with some Hoochie Mama off base - that's why he wiped his phone. Suicide in a storage room never crossed my mind.

Tragic.

Thank you @cmlegend99 and @StrayCat for such precise information and observations which help to clear up a few lingering questions and doubts I had. Obviously the formal investigation will run its (no doubt lengthy) course, but it seems pretty clear now what has occured here, even if we will never really know why.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd
Back