Jason Young to get new trial #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is a mischaracterization. The first trial, the majority of jurors were not guilty. The second was determined to be an unfair trial (you can always convince 100% of jurors to vote guilty if the trial is unfair). Thus, I would argue that most jurors felt he was not guilty in a fair trial. Wouldn't that make an attorney confident of an eventual acquittal (despite the fact that the deck is stacked in favor of the prosecution in jury trials)?

Ok we can look at it differently but I believe that a defense attorney would not be confident of an acquittal.

You just don't know about juries though. Look at Raven Abaroa, the jurors voted 11-1 Guilty, and the state decided not to retry and anyone could almost guarantee they would have been certain to get an all Guilty Verdict the 2nd time. But,they chose not to, and with time served , Raven will be free as a bird, which really pisses me off, because I have never seen someone so guilty. The 911 call would have been all I needed to vote Guilty.

That's so weird - I just watched the Dateline on Raven Abaroa 30 minutes ago :)

Maybe, depends on he deal that's offered. Through two trials there's been enough evidence to convict most jurors he's guilty, so at this point a defense attorney would not be confident of an acquittal.

I would be stunned if a plea deal was in the offing. No way. He's not gonna do it. IMO.

Ok we can look at it differently but I believe that a defense attorney would not be confident of an acquittal.

I would agree with this. I'm a pretty defense-friendly observer, and I am not convinced that he is innocent, even though I have reasonable doubt at this point.

The question is, would you take a plea deal that required you to lie and say you did something that you actually didn't do in order to avoid jail time?

I know I wouldn't.

In Trial 2, the state was able to pick out any discrepancies in his testimony. If there is a Trial 3, I would say he better get on the stand and clear any of those misunderstandings up.

I hope he does. But IMO it will lead to his demise.

The question is, would you take a plea deal that required you to lie and say you did something that you actually didn't do in order to avoid jail time?

I know I wouldn't.

Rest assured this will not happen in this case.

It is exactly the overkill that leads me away from Jason Young.
Whoever killed Michelle was in a complete rage, not something someone would have after driving 340 miles,

Look at the overkill in the Taft case for instance, also right there in Raleigh, NC.
"Kathy Taft was struck so hard on the left side of the back of her head that the ME counted 22 pieces of bone as he tried to reconstruct the missing fragments of her skull".
Kathy Taft was killed by a complete stranger.

Link: http://www.wral.com/specialreports/kathy_taft/story/11113145/

Are you familiar with the murder of Melissa Huggins-Jones? I'm just wondering about the kind of injuries she sustained. I can't find anything specific--just blunt force injury.

I've been re listening to testimony. The thing is, there is SO much circumstantial evidence pointing at Jason Young and none that points to a different perpetrator.

The fact that there are a couple if things that aren't explained or that we don't have an answer for - that does not raise reasonable doubt. They are just things we don't know, and that's true of every murder case. If there's no confession, you're never going to know exactly what happened.

Who else did they look at as possible perpetrators?

With so much conversation about circumstantial evidence, I think it necessary to remember Michelle's injuries. These injuries were NOT just murder, they were overkill.....done by someone with rage and hatred in their heart for Michelle.
I, for one, believe JY spent many hours planning this slaughter of his wife and unborn son. Yes, much of the evidence is circumstantial. Yes, much of the evidence can be dissected, examined, etc, but in the end many of us can reach only one conclusion. No matter how such evidence is explained, we believe JY and JY alone murdered his wife and unborn son in the most horrendous way without one ounce of mercy.

We need to remember these injuries always!!

Blunt force Injury #1

This 1” crescent mark was on the left shoulder. Her arm appeared very bruised around this mark. It was not a laceration, but appeared as a well defined superficial mark on her skin. Very telling for possible weapon clues.

Blunt force Injury #2

This was a very clean, 1 ¼ cut on her lower left jaw. This was due to her jaw being broken and then fragmented bone protruding from “inside out”.

Blunt force Injury #3

The left side of Michelle’s head had 8 very deep and gaping wounds. As the diagram shows, they were all around her ear and ultimately caused a temporal skull fracture. It was very obvious that this was a very hard attack, as all were very deep and gaping.

Blunt force Injury #4

Michelle’s neck appeared very swollen and was a medium shade of pink. The ME said this was evidence of attempted strangulation. The perpendicular scratch marks appeared as her own, obviously done in a desperate attempt to pull the killer’s hands off.

Blunt force Injury #5

Michelle’s face showed a once beautiful girl with swollen, contorted features. Her upper and lower lips were badly swollen and bruised. Her tongue was very swollen and protruding. The complex mandible fractures described in the report was in layman’s term, a very badly broken jaw around the chin and upper gums, where 3 upper front teeth were missing. Another photo showed 3 perfectly formed teeth, with roots intact. In other words, these 3 teeth were totally knocked /ejected from Michelle’s gums, not just broken off. In addition, there were 2 additional fragmented teeth broken from the lower jaw. As we all know, there was another partial tooth found in the home by the Young Family after the crime scene investigators left. It was confirmed to me that this tooth fragment matched Michelle’s remaining tooth mast.

Blunt force Injury #6 and #7

Both of Michelle’s outside surface of the hands appeared extremely swollen and badly bruised. In fact, several of her fingers appeared at least 25 % larger than normal. The swelling was so pronounced, I compare it to a time I was stung by a wasp and my hand swelled tremendously.

Blunt force Injury #8, # 9, #10

This group of 13 severe wounds and abrasions to the back of the head was very hard to look at. These were not just “cuts”, but were gaping gashes directly on the back of head. Many of these severe lacerations were carved very deep all the way to the skull. The drawings you see on the report cannot come close to helping you truly understand the gravity of the vicious wounds.

Michelle’s brain showed extreme bleeding on both sides. There was a skull fracture present in the base of the skull. I was told this type of skull fracture is very rare since it take a tremendous force to the back of the head to cause one. Another clue to what occurred here.

Blunt force injury to the head.
Multiple lacerations
Extensive abrasions and contusions
Multiple fractures of the mandible
Avulsion of multiple teeth
Fracture of the left temporal bone
Linear fracture of the base of the skull
Subarachnoid hemorrhage of the brain
Blunt force injury to the nect consistent with manual strangulation
Scratches on the left side of the neck consistent with fingernail marks
Hemorrhage of the strap muscles of the left side of the neck
Blunt force injury to the left deltoid region
Abrasion
Multiple contusions
Blunt force injury to the extremities
Laceration of the left thumb
Abrasion of the right wrist
Multiple confluent contusions of both hands
Intrauterine pregnancy

Thanks RPD.......JUSTICE FOR MICHELLE & RYLAN

Wow. How could Meredith be so calm after seeing her sister like that??

Whoever killed Michelle was in a complete rage, not something someone would have after driving 340 miles,

Look at the overkill in the Taft case for instance, also right there in Raleigh, NC.
"Kathy Taft was struck so hard on the left side of the back of her head that the ME counted 22 pieces of bone as he tried to reconstruct the missing fragments of her skull".

*BBM*
What does driving for many miles have to do with how much rage is involved?
Have you heard of Jodi Arias? (OK maybe that would not count, because she got some sex and rest before she went to work :facepalm: ).
I still have no idea how driving any amount of miles or time factors in.
If I am setting out to murder someone I think I would be hyper alert the entire time (drive time, actual killing time, and probably partial time driving back afterwards).
This is just my opinion and theory, it could be different of course.

My point is that factoring in drive time does not add up to a valid argument against rage killing (to me).

That's what I thought. Do you know why that was reported?

On the wall next to the door frame of his closet were multiple areas where blood spatter occurred as MY's head was bashed in (M.E. testified at least 30 separate blows). Blood spatter was found in many places on that wall, and high up as well as lower. In one area, about 3 ft from the ground, was a place where there was no spatter though there was spatter around it. DNA swabs from that area on the wall in which blood spatter had not impacted the wall matched Jason Young, to the exclusion of everyone else.

The state presented this and their theory is that JY had braced himself on that part of the wall as he was bent over, beating MY's head in when she had fallen off the bed and onto the floor, and that is why blood did not spatter in that spot, because his hand or part of his hand was braced on that wall for balance and leverage. They opine it's the combination of his DNA in that area with the lack of any blood spatter in that specific area, but blood spatter everywhere else outside that area, that ties JY physically to having touched the wall during MY's murder.

What did the prosecutors have to say about this:

Jennifer Remy of the North Carolina State Crime Laboratory testified that she found a hair in Michelle Young's left hand that had been "forcibly removed" from someone's head.

And she found some hair underneath Michelle's body that also had been forcibly removed from someone. Those hairs did not match those of Jason Young.

Did they test Meredith or anyone else's hair?

ITA. The Taft case always comes to my mind when somebody parrots the "overkill=husband-and-only-husband" nonsense. Or the Petit murderers who watched the women before entering the house.

No clue why because it isn't true. Who reported it?

Well according to a post upthread it is true that they linked DNA to Jason, and I don't remember who reported it -- it was way back before the first trial

Well according to a post upthread it is true that they linked DNA to Jason, and I don't remember who reported it -- it was way back before the first trial

They did link the print DNA to Jason but he lived there. There was no testimony that it was mixed in blood. afaik, there was no testimony by a blood spatter expert due to the Deaver debacle.

What did the prosecutors have to say about this:

Jennifer Remy of the North Carolina State Crime Laboratory testified that she found a hair in Michelle Young's left hand that had been "forcibly removed" from someone's head.

And she found some hair underneath Michelle's body that also had been forcibly removed from someone. Those hairs did not match those of Jason Young.

Did they test Meredith or anyone else's hair?

IIRC those were MY hairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members