Jason Young to get new trial #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Prime Suspect, so unless he changed clothes in the elevator , I think he made it to his room!!

Plus when Demetrius Barrett testified that when he and JY talked, he could hear the college football game on JY's tv in the background at the hotel room.

Yep, and as the appellate court noted, no evidence of Jason ever leaving the hotel. Not any security pix of him after 23:59 PM even though such pix would have either 1) confirmed his alibi or 2) supported the prosecution's theory he left the hotel for a period of time that allowed a round trip to Raleigh. Not a single security pix of Jason entering the Hotel's outside doors after 6 AM. Not a single security pix of Jason walking down any hotel corridor after 23:59 PM.

Where or where are those pesky pix? How and why did they magically disappear? You would think if they had helped the prosecution, they would have been secured as evidence immediately, locked in the evidence vault and Jason arrested pronto!!! But, instead, poof......

Here is the 58-page Appellate Court Opinion. Mr. Hicks begins on page 11.

http://www.wral.com/asset/news/local/2014/04/01/13529333/April_1_2014_Appeals_Court_Opinion.pdf

Maybe he was going out for a smoke or something?

Hicks said that he never smoked there, only outside the main door. Unless he also checked the stairwell at the other side of the building, it really doesn't make a lot of sense that he would choose to go all the way down 4 flights of stairs when the elevator was right there.

Also, someone asked about the camera. He said he noticed the rock - it would have been 3:30-4 --- then he went back to the desk and noticed the camera was dark.

I still think it's so funny when they show that little rock that propped open the door because you expect to see something larger. In fact, how did he even spot that?

rock-2-edited.jpg

Yep, and as the appellate court noted, no evidence of Jason ever leaving the hotel. Not any security pix of him after 23:59 PM even though such pix would have either 1) confirmed his alibi or 2) supported the prosecution's theory he left the hotel for a period of time that allowed a round trip to Raleigh. Not a single security pix of Jason entering the Hotel's outside doors after 6 AM. Not a single security pix of Jason walking down any hotel corridor after 23:59 PM.

Where or where are those pesky pix? How and why did they magically disappear? You would think if they had helped the prosecution, they would have been secured as evidence immediately, locked in the evidence vault and Jason arrested pronto!!! But, instead, poof......

Here is the 58-page Appellate Court Opinion. Mr. Hicks begins on page 11.

http://www.wral.com/asset/news/local/2014/04/01/13529333/April_1_2014_Appeals_Court_Opinion.pdf

I don't believe there are missing photos. Isn't it possible that he wasn't seen on them because they cycle?

No, he testifed he rarely went back there because he couldn't see the front desk from there.
Now, I am really wondering why he was there. There was an elevator he could use to deliver the receipts and newspapers.

And wouldn't he have had some kind of cart to carry all those newspapers?

I guess I'm wondering why he didn't notice the security camera was unplugged hours before he found it. It was unplugged at 11:19 PM. The monitor screen was right by the front desk.

The last image from the camera was at 11:19:59 p.m. on
2 November 2006, and no images were recorded until 5:50 a.m. on 3 November 2006.........

Hicks said that he never smoked there, only outside the main door. Unless he also checked the stairwell at the other side of the building, it really doesn't make a lot of sense that he would choose to go all the way down 4 flights of stairs when the elevator was right there.

Also, someone asked about the camera. He said he noticed the rock - it would have been 3:30-4 --- then he went back to the desk and noticed the camera was dark.

I still think it's so funny when they show that little rock that propped open the door because you expect to see something larger. In fact, how did he even spot that?

rock-2-edited.jpg

Does anyone know if the door was spring loaded? A small rock like that would be hard to hold the door back if it was. jmo

Defendant said he then picked up a newspaper from
the front desk, walked down the hallway, inserted a stick in the
door,
went outside and smoked.

Stick? Rock?

Page 22

And wouldn't he have had some kind of cart to carry all those newspapers?

I guess I'm wondering why he didn't notice the security camera was unplugged hours before he found it. It was unplugged at 11:19 PM. The monitor screen was right by the front desk.

The last image from the camera was at 11:19:59 p.m. on
2 November 2006, and no images were recorded until 5:50 a.m. on 3 November 2006.........

There also is no image of JY surveying the cameras which imo you would expect someone to do if they're going to unplug or move it, and no fingerprints anyway so.....? Did LE find gloves in his possession? . :confused:

I don't believe there are missing photos. Isn't it possible that he wasn't seen on them because they cycle?

I don't believe the photos are missing either, I just think they weren't ALL turned over to the defense.

If you note the photos available, there are several taken as he proceeded down the same corridor. The cycle was short enough to capture someone at a minimum of one point along those long corridors. An example is the one at
23:59:26 followed by 23:59:40. Same corridor, two pix.

JMO

There also is no image of JY surveying the cameras which imo you would expect someone to do if they're going to unplug or move it, and no fingerprints anyway so.....? Did LE find gloves in his possession? . :confused:

I'm surprised there is no image whatsoever of whomever unplugged it. Unless it was unplugged by someone who had access to the images and could erase it.

It is total red herring, because the camera was plugged back in prior to 6 AM. It would have captured Jason returning to the hotel from his murderous round trip to Raleigh, whether he entered through a door propped open or the one unlocked next to it.

JMO

Does anyone know if the door was spring loaded? A small rock like that would be hard to hold the door back if it was. jmo

Stick? Rock?

Page 22

I don't know other than the fact it was a fire door. For that reason, I doubt it was spring loaded. For safety reasons, I think it was light enough even an elderly person could manage and just locked automatically when someone let it close behind them.

What am I missing? I can't think of one piece of evidence that places him away from the hotel.

What better piece of evidence placing him away from the hotel is there than security pix showing him RETURNING? But, noooooooooooo.

What better piece of evidence placing him away from the hotel is there than security pix showing him RETURNING? But, noooooooooooo.

Like I said yesterday, these questions about the security videos need to be addressed in the next trial. Neither the prosecution or the defense explained any of this. I would expect the defense to make an issue of this.

Like I said yesterday, these questions about the security videos need to be addressed in the next trial. Neither the prosecution or the defense explained any of this. I would expect the defense to make an issue of this.

It seems that the answer to Jason's guilt or innocence may be in the timing. We have the timing that it takes to drive back to Raleigh, commit murder, shower and change, fool around with the hose in the back yard, turn on all the house lights, stage the scene with two pair of shoes, commit robbery, comfort the child, clean the child, turn off all the house lights, get rid of the evidence, stop for gas, make the stolen items completely disappear, and return to Hillsville. We also have the timing of the 14 second internals on the cameras and the question of how Jason could have navigated between his hotel room and the parking lot without any still shots of him on the fourth floor.

This has probably been asked an answered a million times over the years.
Your question brings up one of my own though.

Was this the first time JY had stayed in this hotel?
Or was it a "regular" place for him on his sales trips?

Going from memory, I believe that this was the first time that he had stayed at that hotel.

He stayed there once before, about three years prior. I will try to find testimony on it and post it here.

The defense did a demo showing how the twig held the door open per Young's testimony.
However, I am not sure if the state did one with that tiny little rock....it would have to had been placed
really carefully, because if JY messed up, the door would have closed and he would have had to
come back either through the lobby or side door and risk being seen on cameras again!!!

It's really weird how all the cameras worked when the state needed a video still of Jason, but
not when it went against their case !!!!

He stayed there once before, about three years prior. I will try to find testimony on it and post it here.

Yes, that is right. Also, he stayed at other Hampton Inns, that is how he belonged to the Hilton Honors Rewards Club, and received certain little extras like bottled water when he checked in or a newspaper delivered and hung on his doorknob in the middle of the night, early am.

The only camera on 4th floor was one, on the wall near ceiling, pointed at the the elevator. Only 1st floor had cameras in the stairwell exits.

State did go thru camera evidence in some detail. See Becky Holt's closing, trial 2.

But, I thought that night was soooooooooooooo windy, how come that little rock didn't blow away?

Or, maybe the convo went like this, hypothetically, of course..

Jason , what are you plans, where are you going to live? Do you plan on going back to Enchanted Oaks?

Jason......" I could never go back there, the place where my wife was killed. I don't know what I am going to do right now, I guess somewhere down the road I will sell the house, I just can't go back there, ever,
But, I really can't think of things like this right now. I do know the market is down, so I may not get what we put into it",,I will probably take a hit on the house."

Fantasy conversations vs trial testimony... I'll stick with trial testimony. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734