Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky are reporting that the search teams are ‘honing in on one specific area’

MOO is that they’ve found him or belongings belonging to him ie shirt or bag
*earlier, I was thinking his shirt, because of the heat, he might take it off. The jagged ravines also could easily tear his shirt.

View attachment 513355
The house with bus stop outside where 19 year old Jay Slater's phone last pinged, which is his last known location

This is the other thing I found odd. Jay's Father remarked that it was out of character for his son to walk any kind of distance, stating that he'd have to drive him a few hundred yards just to get his hair cut. Why was he then prepared to walk however many miles he intended on walking to get wherever he intended on going when there was a bus stop quite literally on the doorstep?
What was so urgent that he couldn't wait for a bus, but justified (in his head) an enormous hike that would have taken significantly longer than a bus journey plus the wait? He had a map on his phone, so he would have been aware of the distance he might have had to travel.

In my own opinion, he was trying to get away from that AirBnB as quickly as possible.

According to Google maps*, there isn't a direct bus from Masca to Las Americas. From Masca you would go to Santiago Del Teide then a different bus to Las Americas.
I wonder if he meant he was going to walk to Santiago to get the next bus rather than walk all the way back to Las Americas? That would still be a long walk (a little over 5 kilometres, around 1.5 hours) but more realistic than the 10 hour walk all the way back?

*Google maps isn't always the most reliable for bus routes and timetables

According to Google maps*, there isn't a direct bus from Masca to Las Americas. From Masca you would go to Santiago Del Teide then a different bus to Las Americas.
I wonder if he meant he was going to walk to Santiago to get the next bus rather than walk all the way back to Las Americas? That would still be a long walk (a little over 5 kilometres, around 1.5 hours) but more realistic than the 10 hour walk all the way back?

*Google maps isn't always the most reliable for bus routes and timetables

If Ophelia's account is accurate, he was going in the wrong direction for Santiago. She stated that he was heading north, up the mountain.

It would seem that Mark William Thomas has already held a conference yet elsewhere there is still talk of a press conference being delayed. Are there two then? It sounds ominous if searches have moved to a specific area.

This is the other thing I found odd. Jay's Father remarked that it was out of character for his son to walk any kind of distance, stating that he'd have to drive him a few hundred yards just to get his hair cut. Why was he then prepared to walk however many miles he intended on walking to get wherever he intended on going when there was a bus stop quite literally on the doorstep?
What was so urgent that he couldn't wait for a bus, but justified (in his head) an enormous hike that would have taken significantly longer than a bus journey plus the wait? He had a map on his phone, so he would have been aware of the distance he might have had to travel.

In my own opinion, he was trying to get away from that AirBnB as quickly as possible.
I get what you are saying, but you have to remember that he'd be up all night and drinking. He likely wasn't his usual self, hence the odd behaviour.
Dehydration and lack of sleep probably contributed to his poor judgement.
Just out of interest, what do you think happened at the rental?

In a press conference held in Tenerife this afternoon, Mark Williams-Thomas said Jay's family are 'united' and still live in hope that he will return home.

He told members of the press: "Since I've been here, I've watched the family. I spent yesterday with them and today and the night before. They are very, very united family. They are very supportive and they want me to find out what happened to Jay."

There have been unconfirmed sightings of Jay, with locals claiming they noticed him engrossed in Euros matches in a town close to his last known location.

Just out of interest, what do you think happened at the rental?
<modsnip> I just believe that whatever happened at the AirBnB left JS spooked enough to get out of there at the first opportunity.

I also have a strong suspicion that many of the accounts we've heard have been fabricated to some degree or another. For instance, I'm frankly amazed that an individual not native to Tenerife, was able to immediately identify a property solely by the pattern of the doorstep. Particularly as the doorstep seems obscured from the road via Google Maps - Masca is far from a typical British suburban layout. There's every possibility this person just got lucky, however...

I do believe that JS has ended up lost, and (for now, at least) this is a missing person's case, not a criminal investigation. But I would not be at all surprised if a criminal investigation is coming. Just MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the whole press conference and found it interesting how he said he was fully aware of a large “criminal underbelly” in Tenerife, within 48 hours. Certainly seems that he thinks something has happened to Jay outside of getting himself lost - he also mentions 2 areas that are the most likely Jay will be, if he is lost, and that the area of his last phone ping is not too hard to search. All moo and paraphrasing from the conference. I have the screen recording on my TikTok if anyone wants it, if I am allowed to share that.

<modsnip> I just believe that whatever happened at the AirBnB left JS spooked enough to get out of there at the first opportunity.

I also have a strong suspicion that many of the accounts we've heard have been fabricated to some degree or another.

I do believe that JS has ended up lost, and (for now, at least) this is a missing person's case, not a criminal investigation. But I would not be at all surprised if a criminal investigation is coming. Just MOO.
But surely he would have said something to his friend on the phone, if something had happened there?
Why would she not tell the truth about the conversation, given that these two men were not known to them?
I can't see how this would turn into a criminal investigation, because he was on his own when he disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a chance he put the wrong town in his phone hence why he thought he could walk and was heading the wrong way. Los Carrizales (not Cristianos) is an 90 mins walk away up the road he was heading. If his phone was dying but he remembered he needed to take a left off the road (which you do) he might have ended up on the Barranco Juan Lopez as others have pointed out

JMO but if he wanted to get away from the AirBnB that would be much more likely as the result of something he took rather than the people inside. It might also explain why he thought he could walk 11 hours back and went the wrong way (complete lack of mental awareness). Another thought I had is that Lucy mentioned she said words to the effect 'if you're ever going to listen to me it's now' Might purely be a concerned friend as it's a worrying call to get but i wonder if she was concerned with his mental state and really trying to grab his attention (as she was aware he was taking stuff).

What's that doesn't explain is that he seemingly had a cordial exchange with the neighbour (even if he couldn't understand her due to the language)

I watched the whole press conference and found it interesting how he said he was fully aware of a large “criminal underbelly” in Tenerife, within 48 hours. Certainly seems that he thinks something has happened to Jay outside of getting himself lost - he also mentions 2 areas that are the most likely Jay will be, if he is lost, and that the area of his last phone ping is not too hard to search. All moo and paraphrasing from the conference. I have the screen recording on my TikTok if anyone wants it, if I am allowed to share that.
So he has been there for 48 hours and has discovered a 'large criminal underbelly' in Tenerife!
What evidence did he provide to link this 'criminal underbelly' to the disappearance?

But surely he would have said something to his friend on the phone, if something had happened there?
Why would she not tell the truth about the conversation, given that these two men were not known to them?
I can't see how this would turn into a criminal investigation, because he was on his own when he disappeared.
Well, for a start, we only have Lucy's word to rely on for that. Only Lucy and Jay know exactly what was said on the phone. And we only have Lucy's account that she did not know these two men.

I'm not saying that Lucy is lying, but also there is absolutely nothing to validate what she has said.

If Ophelia's account is accurate, he was going in the wrong direction for Santiago. She stated that he was heading north, up the mountain.
It's very easy to walk in the wrong direction when the bus is driving on the opposite side of the road to what you're used to. You can look at the list of stops on the bus stop and you think you know which way to go but the bus on that side was actually travelling in a different direction to what you expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli